Conquer Club

Not so random maps

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Exclusions w/ Random Maps [Last Call ~ TFO Poll added]

Postby TheForgivenOne on Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:40 am

Alright, if this doesn't break the 60% Agreement within 5 days, I will be dropping it off of Sticky status.
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby chocolateballs on Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:09 am

Part of the fun of random is the chance that you'll get a difficult map. I think it's good because it forces you to play maps that you normally wouldn't; for example, I would normally never touch games on City Mogul or Poison Rome, because they look too complex. But I've played all of those games, chosen from a Random map, and I had a really good time. It's just a good change of pace.
Corporal 1st Class chocolateballs

Postby TheForgivenOne on Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:21 am

chocolateballs wrote:Part of the fun of random is the chance that you'll get a difficult map. I think it's good because it forces you to play maps that you normally wouldn't; for example, I would normally never touch games on City Mogul or Poison Rome, because they look too complex. But I've played all of those games, chosen from a Random map, and I had a really good time. It's just a good change of pace.

This is mainly being suggested because people like a random map, but say they are making an 8 man speed game that is Seq. and want a random map, but instead end up on Hive. Then you got a game that runs for HOURS. I saw a 4 man Freestyle speed game on Hive that lasted over 3 hours alone.
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby Tunak on Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:39 am

It would be nice if there was a way to list which maps were excluded, if that is the way this ends up going anyway
Sergeant 1st Class Tunak

Postby Lindax on Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:15 pm

TheForgivenOne wrote:Alright, if this doesn't break the 60% Agreement within 5 days, I will be dropping it off of Sticky status.

What's wrong with 56%?

BTW: The added poll is very cheeky: "No - This is random people, Don't like it? don't use it".

You can obviously say the same about exclusions: "Don't like it? don't use it". Only problem is that we can't use it because it doesn't exist.

Anyway, I hereby protest against the way the poll was set up.

Lx
"Winning Solves Everything" - Graeko
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

random

Postby normalman091 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:26 am

I have a suggestion to improve random games: I like to start random games sometimes but I hate some maps... maybe you can give an option to start a random map selected only among the maps we like.
Sergeant normalman091

Re: random

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:32 am

The random option is not related with the map development, this topic belongs more to suggestions forum.

[Moved]
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby zimmah on Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:03 am

normalman091 wrote:I have a suggestion to improve random games: I like to start random games sometimes but I hate some maps... maybe you can give an option to start a random map selected only among the maps we like.

i would like this option. some maps are just so terrible i don't like to play them. should be an option to select/deselect maps from the random pool.

maybe there should be a max. amount of maps you can select/deselect though.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:44 am

There are lots of ways to improve random map selection.
Random small - maps under 79 territs
Random large - maps over 80 territs

These numbers can be changed to suit the site but you get the meaning.
Random - favourites (the starting players most played maps) - top 20
Should be easy enough to get the stats.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby TheForgivenOne on Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:37 pm

I know this suggestion is floating around somewhere in Suggestions. I'll try to find it.
Game 1675072
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby oran0007 on Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:37 am

It seems to me that there are two schools of thought on this suggestion.

1. I don't like map x.

2. Random maps can negatively affect tourney play.

While I agree that there are maps I prefer not to play, I also agree with those who have said that people would just start their own games instead of joining others. I would not support this feature applying to just any game, even if that would mean that I would probably not have to play hive again without choosing to. Pragmatically, I know that there are maps I will never play if I don't choose random, and that is why every once in a while I do/will choose random.

For tourney plan, I think the best option would be to limit the size of the maps available. I haven't played in a tournament before, let alone organized one, but I would imagine it would be preferable to have all games last as close to the same number of rounds as possible. If there are 8 games in a bracket and one goes to doodle, and another to hive, there are two games which will almost definitely be well outside of the standard deviation for number of rounds. People may lose interest.

In the end, I think that picking and choosing shouldn't be possible, but that limiting to a range of number of territories should be, even for normal games if necessary for ease of coding. Perhaps this could be implemented with a sliding scale. The game initiator chooses lower and upper limits, and those limits are shown in bold or something so that no one misses them.
Corporal 1st Class oran0007

Postby jeraado on Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:27 am

I haven't read through the full thread, so my apologies if I've missed something, but I would support this suggestion (as per the first post), as long as:
1) When not every map is selected this doesn't count towards the random map medal
2) It is easy for players to see which maps are selected, while the game is waiting to be filled
Cadet jeraado

MY random maps

Postby ben79 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:52 am

When you click random maps you can play all of the 200 maps there is at CC. I was wondering if it is possible to let's say : i like about 20-25 maps on this site, could i create a random box ( let's put it thaT WAY ) where i could put those 20 maps in there and just click on '' my random '' maps to have a mix of my 20-25 favorite maps, so people who would play me would know i only got 20-25 maops on my random maps.

p.s.: do you guys understand what i mean ?
Lieutenant ben79

Re: MY random maps

Postby ljex on Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:54 am

ben79 wrote:When you click random maps you can play all of the 200 maps there is at CC. I was wondering if it is possible to let's say : i like about 20-25 maps on this site, could i create a random box ( let's put it thaT WAY ) where i could put those 20 maps in there and just click on '' my random '' maps to have a mix of my 20-25 favorite maps, so people who would play me would know i only got 20-25 maops on my random maps.

yes i understand the one problem is it becomes difficult for people joining games to know what your random maps are and then see if they want to join that set of random maps instead of another game with a different set of random maps...see what i mean?
Major ljex

Postby chapcrap on Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:20 pm

ljex wrote:
ben79 wrote:When you click random maps you can play all of the 200 maps there is at CC. I was wondering if it is possible to let's say : i like about 20-25 maps on this site, could i create a random box ( let's put it thaT WAY ) where i could put those 20 maps in there and just click on '' my random '' maps to have a mix of my 20-25 favorite maps, so people who would play me would know i only got 20-25 maops on my random maps.

yes i understand the one problem is it becomes difficult for people joining games to know what your random maps are and then see if they want to join that set of random maps instead of another game with a different set of random maps...see what i mean?

What if, when this was selected, it had to choose from common maps between the players in the game?
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby MrBenn on Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:29 pm

chapcrap wrote:
ljex wrote:

What if, when this was selected, it had to choose from common maps between the players in the game?

What if the players had no common "my random" maps?
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby chapcrap on Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:20 pm

MrBenn wrote:
chapcrap wrote:
ljex wrote:

What if the players had no common "my random" maps?

Then it could either be a map that is on neither list or a default map. Classic, for example.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Forza AZ on Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:23 am

A solution could be to make an Excel file and make a random choise of the maps you like each time you make a game.
Of course opponents can see which map they play before they join this way.

But it is probably to difficult to code to let each player make there own set of random maps.
Highest score: 3130 (9 July 2009)
Colonel Forza AZ

Postby sundance123 on Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:47 am

Why not post a list of of your maps in callouts and set up private games inviting someone to each based on your own random draw. As the OP is premium this would be possible.
Captain sundance123

Postby patrickaa317 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:54 pm

Or what if Random map actually returned 5 maps for all players to vote on (within 24 hours). If there was a tie, then it would be randomly decided between those two. Would make for an interesting twist. You could quick map rank your opponents to find their weakest map. Also would take some team work to ensure you all vote on the same map.
taking a break from cc, will be back sometime in the future.
Sergeant patrickaa317

Postby Seulessliathan on Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:17 pm

I would like to have categories like "small maps" "medium sized maps" "big maps"
or "standard maps" "non standard maps" for random maps
Brigadier Seulessliathan

Postby dwilhelmi on Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:29 pm

You could make the My Random option randomly select a map at create time, rather than game start time. That way it is random for the game creator, but you eliminate the confusion for other people joining.

Alternatively, you could also make the My Random maps be a preference rather than a hard and fast rule. The random selection process would first compile a list of My Random maps that are common among all players, and if it doesn't find one, then it defaults back to the regular random map creation.
Brigadier dwilhelmi

Re: Random Map Selections

Postby spiesr on Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:52 pm

Captain spiesr

Restrictive random map

Postby waauw on Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:07 pm

Concise description: Make it so you can set maps to random but restrict the number of maps. So it randomly picks a map from a list of maps you yourself have chosen.

Specifics/Details:
  • Go to start a game and choose "random map". This opens a list and you select which maps are allowed in this random map list.
  • When you go to game finder and find a map with "random", you can click on a link and it displays all the maps in the random list.
  • The random map medal would have to be altered a bit, so you can only earn it when the whole list is selected.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • It's fun not knowing what map you're going to get, but there are some maps you really hate and don't want to play. You could avoid them this way.
  • Tournament organizers can make random map tournaments with a more restrictive list. For example organize a tournament with random maps small maps only.
Lieutenant waauw

Re: Restrictive random map

Postby chapcrap on Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:26 pm

Is this the same: viewtopic.php?f=471&t=154636

If so, can I merge?
Lieutenant chapcrap

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions