Conquer Club

Something bad, Something good

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Something bad, Something good

Postby thenobodies80 on Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:54 am

Hello Foundry Goers,

today I'm writing this announcement to give you all some news about what's going on in the foundry, about the recent changes that probably passed unnoticed and about what to expect in the next month or so.

As you probably already know reading the title, we don't have just good news...but like we say in Italy, "tolto il dente, tolto il dolore"...let me start with the bad ones:

MarshalNey
    During October 2011, MarshalNey decided to take a break from his blue duties due real life reasons. Unfortunately, after talking with him few days ago, I have to say that he has decided to resign definitively from his position as Cartography Assistant. This is certainly a great loss for the foundry considering that MarshalNey has been one of the best gameplay commentators and helpers we have ever had the pleasure to work with.
OliverFA
    On the same route, we have to say goodbye to OliverFA, after having contribute for the last 7 months to check the XML code of our maps, he has also decided to step down and take a definitive break from his current duties. OliverFA has been always really kind and helpful and even if his presence on the public side has always been a bit "silent", he has made a great contribution behind the scenes doing all the hard groundwork to create a new and updated xml guide/tutorial that we will release very soon.

To both these guys I would just say "Thank you for your time and your effort in making the Foundry a better place for everyone" =D>
Hope to see you around again in the Foundry! :)

Now, to move on the good news, we have some things:

XML Checking Changes
    As many of you have noticed, from August 2011, natty_dread has kindly accepted to help us to check XMLs. Even if till today he has never been announced officially, he has helped us a lot. Now, with recent OliverFA's departure, we're proud to announce that natty_dread has become our official XML checker. For now he will hep us "without the blue color", but maybe in the next future we could paint with the blue his name. ;)

After discussing with natty_dread about possible improvement to apply to XML checking, we agreed about the fact that, even if the current system is almost perfect, sometimes something slips away. To prevent future problems with XMLs we decided to update/renew the XML Checks thread, to get rid of the old outdated informations and to write a better explanation of the current procedure. The major change is that from now the mapmakers are required, if applicable, to add in the form (and also in the OP of the map thread) a link of a map image with displayed on it the neutral territories and the starting positions (with their values). We want to remember to everyone that, if necessary, the numbers are available into a dedicated topic in the Tool section of the Foundry.
    In addition to the above, we have added a quick explanation of the meaning of the colored dots you will find on your XML check posts. They will help you to keep track of the current status of the check. Just in case you're wondering, all the xml posted, will be checked for the first time within a week from the date of posting in the official thread.

Finally, since now we can use attachment for xml files, I really suggest you all to attach the xml files to the map thread instead of using hosting site or the [code] brackets, in this way it will be easier for us to check the files and you will be sure that your file will be always available, on the contrary we all know that sites like filden/ect, could cause problems sometime.

Gameplay Assistant Wanted
    Even if we all know that iancanton is a gameplay machine and probably the best gameplay commentator we've already had, he can't do all the work alone! :)

For this reason we are looking for someone interested in helping with the analysis and balancing of the maps at the gameplay stage.

Although there're no real requirements to apply for the position, the best canditate should be someone with a minimum knowledge of the foundry process, a good eye for gameplay and a minimum activity level in the Foundry. Remember that you don't have to be a gameplay expert to apply, in fact the one who will be chosen will be trained for a short period before to put on the blue shoes officially.
    If you're insterested in helping out, please fill out the following form and send it via PM to thenobodies80

===============
    PM Subject: Cartographers Team Application
    --------------------------
    Username:

Availability / Time I Can Dedicate per Week:(weekends only, all day, mornings, evenings, etc)

Comments: (one or two paragraphs in length describing why you think you are a good candidate)
    ===============

From Asia to Far East
    As announced in December in this topic, the CC Team Cartographers have produced a touch-up of the current Asia Map.

After running a poll for a month or so and after have given to the people the possibility to post further suggestions, the final touched-up version of the map (with no gameplay changes) will be uploaded in few time:
    show: final version

After have given to the community the time to decide the final title to use with the map, we have applied some changes to the names, accordingly to what macbone suggested in the official touch up thread.
    The title on the map will be again FAR EAST. Once uploaded lackattack will change the name of the map on all relevant pages of the site.

The map will have its dedicated thread and it will created in the Final Forge, where it will stay for a short period of time to ensure that there're no issues with it. Once we're sure there no clarity/readability or technical issue with new xml, the map topic will be moved to the viewing gallery.

To conclude this long series of annoucements, I'm really pleased to announce the in few time we will start a new Foundry Contest with some special prizes for the winner!
So check the batteries of your mouse, plug your tablets and keep your eyes on the Foundry Competitions Forum!

I wish you all a good day and a pleasant stay in the CC Foundry :)
thenobodies80
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Re: Something bad, Something good

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:20 am

Noooooo!!!! MarshalNey!!!! :( :cry: And Oliver, too? :cry:

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:25 am

MarshalNey & OliverFA =D> Well done chaps. Hoe to see you around the foundry sometime if not in a game. Looking forward to the rest (Asia map, contest and someone new to bitch about ;) )
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Gilligan on Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:29 am

Now someone needs to make an Asia map ;)

Thanks for all you've done, Oliver and Marshal.
Captain Gilligan

Postby natty dread on Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:40 am

Gilligan wrote:Now someone needs to make an Asia map ;)

I'm already making one, it just has a bit of Europe stuck to the side ;)

Shame to hear about Marshalney... and Oliver of course, but especially Marshalney as we really need more gameplay experts here...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby DiM on Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:43 pm

the foundry is already with one foot in the grave, losing 2 CAs is awful :(

thenobodies80 wrote: we will start a new Foundry Contest with some special prizes for the winner!

hopefully this time it won't be fiasco ;)
i'd rather see a jury that decides the winner than an easily influenced poll.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby cairnswk on Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:44 pm

Sorry to hear this for MarshalNey and OliverFA. Best wishes to you both in your continued life's journey.

Congrats to natty...i am sure his "detail" talent will be well utilised in xml checking.

And thank-you tnb80, for this advise. It is nice when the "general public" gets these updates to keep us informed. :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby natty dread on Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:46 pm

Who would be in this jury?

Postby DiM on Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:46 pm

natty_dread wrote:

feoreman, CAs, andy, perhaps even a few foundry regulars that don't enter the contest. it won't be a perfect solution but it would surely be less likely to be influenced by mass PMs asking for votes in a poll. ;)
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:51 pm

DiM wrote:
natty_dread wrote:

feoreman, CAs, andy, perhaps even a few foundry regulars that don't enter the contest. it won't be a perfect solution but it would surely be less likely to be influenced by mass PMs asking for votes in a poll. ;)

Just get team CC to do it. Enough guys and gals there to get a decent opinion on maps.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby natty dread on Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:18 am

What if we just have a regular vote, but make a rule that whoever participates, his clanmates are banned from voting for him?

Postby DiM on Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:35 am

natty_dread wrote:What if we just have a regular vote, but make a rule that whoever participates, his clanmates are banned from voting for him?

what about mass pms? or asking people in live chat to come vote for you? or asking your friends to ask all their friends to vote for you?

if i ever participate in a contest i won't even bother coming up with a decent image. i'll just take a photo of my ass and spend my time asking for votes since that seems to work very well. ;)

the foundry is such a small community that if you manage to get 50-60 people to vote for you you'll overcome all other regular votes.

if you're a known person in live chat, if you play a lot of mafia games, spend a lot of time in general discussion and offtopics and if you have a decently sized clan, getting 50-60 votes is a piece of cake.
Major DiM

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:37 am

I have already thought about the poll issue and found a solution. You'll see. ;)

Postby Flapcake on Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:31 pm

DiM wrote:
if you're a known person in live chat, if you play a lot of mafia games, spend a lot of time in general discussion and offtopics and if you have a decently sized clan, getting 50-60 votes is a piece of cake.

Thats the reason I will never participate in a open poll contest, I have lost in advance. waiste of time.
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Postby MrBenn on Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:07 pm

So long MarshalNey and OliverFA. If it was within my gift, I would bestow upon you something more meaningful than a general contribution medal... your contribution has been anything more than 'general'. I wish you both the very best with endeavours away from the world of mapmaking ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby DiM on Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:21 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:I have already thought about the poll issue and found a solution. You'll see. ;)

i'm intrigued. 8-[
Major DiM

Postby Bruceswar on Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:49 am

DiM wrote:
thenobodies80 wrote:I have already thought about the poll issue and found a solution. You'll see. ;)

i'm intrigued. 8-[

So now that the contest has been started, what do you think of the system in place?
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby DiM on Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:39 am

Bruceswar wrote:
DiM wrote:

i'm intrigued. 8-[

So now that the contest has been started, what do you think of the system in place?

clearly superior to the old system.
still vulnerable to outside manipulation if 3-4 crappy maps get artificial support from clan members or people that were pmed and asked to vote. but that's very unlikely to happen.
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:23 am

DiM wrote:still vulnerable to outside manipulation if 3-4 crappy maps get artificial support from clan members or people that were pmed and asked to vote. but that's very unlikely to happen.

But the mods have access to the voting statistics, they can watch the voting patterns and see if any one map gets a disproportionate amount of votes from the same clan...

It's of course harder to catch if someone asks people in live chat to vote, or pm:s random people who aren't in the same clan... but, those can still get caught.

All in all I think it's a good system, I hope it'll be used in future competitions as well.

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:44 am

natty dread wrote:But the mods have access to the voting statistics

No we can't. We need a phpBB mod to do that. Unfortunately that mod wasn't installed on CC. http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2068075
And from what I know only admins can do that anyway (you need access to ACP)

Postby natty dread on Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:54 am

thenobodies80 wrote:No we can't.

:-$ ;)

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:59 am

Ah Ah you trying to scare people? No problem...admins can help us in other ways, if someone will try to cheat we will discover anyway! :twisted:

Postby DiM on Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:03 pm

so what happened to the contest. wasn't the poll supposed to be started 1-2 days ago? :S
Major DiM

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:53 am

DiM wrote:so what happened to the contest. wasn't the poll supposed to be started 1-2 days ago? :S

Come on DiM, you know full well that the time space continuum does not apply to CC. Therefore any vote that should of started 2 days ago in our time will only start when the sun orbits around the earth, fluffy little creatures dance to the moon and natty runs around a grave yard naked at midnight chanting his love for all things yellow. ;)
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby thenobodies80 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:35 am

DiM wrote:wasn't the poll supposed to be started 1-2 days ago? :S

I never said a starting date for the poll....anyway it will start soon, stay tuned! ;)
Nobodies

Next

Return to Foundry Discussions