today I'm writing this announcement to give you all some news about what's going on in the foundry, about the recent changes that probably passed unnoticed and about what to expect in the next month or so.
As you probably already know reading the title, we don't have just good news...but like we say in Italy, "tolto il dente, tolto il dolore"...let me start with the bad ones:
- During October 2011, MarshalNey decided to take a break from his blue duties due real life reasons. Unfortunately, after talking with him few days ago, I have to say that he has decided to resign definitively from his position as Cartography Assistant. This is certainly a great loss for the foundry considering that MarshalNey has been one of the best gameplay commentators and helpers we have ever had the pleasure to work with.
- On the same route, we have to say goodbye to OliverFA, after having contribute for the last 7 months to check the XML code of our maps, he has also decided to step down and take a definitive break from his current duties. OliverFA has been always really kind and helpful and even if his presence on the public side has always been a bit "silent", he has made a great contribution behind the scenes doing all the hard groundwork to create a new and updated xml guide/tutorial that we will release very soon.
To both these guys I would just say "Thank you for your time and your effort in making the Foundry a better place for everyone"
Hope to see you around again in the Foundry!
Now, to move on the good news, we have some things:
XML Checking Changes
- As many of you have noticed, from August 2011, natty_dread has kindly accepted to help us to check XMLs. Even if till today he has never been announced officially, he has helped us a lot. Now, with recent OliverFA's departure, we're proud to announce that natty_dread has become our official XML checker. For now he will hep us "without the blue color", but maybe in the next future we could paint with the blue his name.
After discussing with natty_dread about possible improvement to apply to XML checking, we agreed about the fact that, even if the current system is almost perfect, sometimes something slips away. To prevent future problems with XMLs we decided to update/renew the XML Checks thread, to get rid of the old outdated informations and to write a better explanation of the current procedure. The major change is that from now the mapmakers are required, if applicable, to add in the form (and also in the OP of the map thread) a link of a map image with displayed on it the neutral territories and the starting positions (with their values). We want to remember to everyone that, if necessary, the numbers are available into a dedicated topic in the Tool section of the Foundry.
In addition to the above, we have added a quick explanation of the meaning of the colored dots you will find on your XML check posts. They will help you to keep track of the current status of the check. Just in case you're wondering, all the xml posted, will be checked for the first time within a week from the date of posting in the official thread.
Finally, since now we can use attachment for xml files, I really suggest you all to attach the xml files to the map thread instead of using hosting site or the [code] brackets, in this way it will be easier for us to check the files and you will be sure that your file will be always available, on the contrary we all know that sites like filden/ect, could cause problems sometime.
Gameplay Assistant Wanted
- Even if we all know that iancanton is a gameplay machine and probably the best gameplay commentator we've already had, he can't do all the work alone!
For this reason we are looking for someone interested in helping with the analysis and balancing of the maps at the gameplay stage.
Although there're no real requirements to apply for the position, the best canditate should be someone with a minimum knowledge of the foundry process, a good eye for gameplay and a minimum activity level in the Foundry. Remember that you don't have to be a gameplay expert to apply, in fact the one who will be chosen will be trained for a short period before to put on the blue shoes officially.
If you're insterested in helping out, please fill out the following form and send it via PM to thenobodies80
PM Subject: Cartographers Team Application
Availability / Time I Can Dedicate per Week:(weekends only, all day, mornings, evenings, etc)
Comments: (one or two paragraphs in length describing why you think you are a good candidate)
From Asia to Far East
- As announced in December in this topic, the CC Team Cartographers have produced a touch-up of the current Asia Map.
After running a poll for a month or so and after have given to the people the possibility to post further suggestions, the final touched-up version of the map (with no gameplay changes) will be uploaded in few time:
After have given to the community the time to decide the final title to use with the map, we have applied some changes to the names, accordingly to what macbone suggested in the official touch up thread.
The title on the map will be again FAR EAST. Once uploaded lackattack will change the name of the map on all relevant pages of the site.
The map will have its dedicated thread and it will created in the Final Forge, where it will stay for a short period of time to ensure that there're no issues with it. Once we're sure there no clarity/readability or technical issue with new xml, the map topic will be moved to the viewing gallery.
To conclude this long series of annoucements, I'm really pleased to announce the in few time we will start a new Foundry Contest with some special prizes for the winner!
So check the batteries of your mouse, plug your tablets and keep your eyes on the Foundry Competitions Forum!
I wish you all a good day and a pleasant stay in the CC Foundry