Conquer Club

Africa II [SoS Africa Reward Map]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Africa II [SoS Africa Reward Map]

Postby natty dread on Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:42 am

koontz1973 wrote:nobodies had a great font that worked.

Only someone with no eye for design could possibly call that font "great".

Just look at the characters in that font - they have this squirmy, cartoony quality in them that gives a very comic-sans-like feeling, like the font attempts to be funny but fails badly...
It's a font that looks like it belongs to a childrens' book, it has a totally infantile feel...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:23 pm

natty dread wrote:The new font looks much better.

Objectively.

There's nothing objective about that opinion. :|

At any rate, I do like the new font better. I would like to see the other text using the old font updated as well (g.e. the legend).

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby natty dread on Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:27 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:
natty dread wrote:The new font looks much better.

Objectively.

There's nothing objective about that opinion. :|

Sorry but I have declared all my opinions canon.

Postby Gilligan on Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:46 pm

koontz1973 wrote:nobodies had a great font that worked.

+1.
Captain Gilligan

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:55 pm

I'm just realizing, I may have done this wrong for a long time now - is it g.e. or e.g.?

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Gillipig on Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:41 am

Elephants look much better, but I don't think they needed to be turned! Keep the old font, looks much better than the new one!
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby natty dread on Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:10 am

No, do not keep the old font. It looks cheesy, it makes the whole map look cheesy. Anyone who likes it has absolutely no aesthetic eye, period.

If the new font doesn't work, fine, look for another. But please find a font that doesn't look like it's from the cover of a colouring book.

Postby Gillipig on Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:24 am

natty dread wrote:No, do not keep the old font. It looks cheesy, it makes the whole map look cheesy. Anyone who likes it has absolutely no aesthetic eye, period.

If the new font doesn't work, fine, look for another. But please find a font that doesn't look like it's from the cover of a colouring book.

There's no right and wrong here! You may like one font better than the other, sure declare that and declare why you think so, but don't profess it as the "truth". Because there is none! I actually like the old font for the very reasons you don't like it. It's a little humorous and funny which fits this map quite well. There are symbols of animals covered with colourful glow on the map so having a very serious and strict font looks strange! This is a happy map :)!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby natty dread on Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:32 am

Gillipig wrote:There's no right and wrong here!

Sorry but yes there is. There are some things that can be objectively evaluated, like if a typeface is appropriate for the theme of the image. Like if you were to use a futuristic cyberpunk font on a map of medieval england. That would be objectively horrible.

The objective truth is that the old font is horrible and doesn't fit this or any other map. It's tacky, tasteless, cheesy, and inappropriate for the theme of the map. Africa is not a funny and whimsical la-la-land. Implying that it is simply condescending and racist. This very map was made as a prize of sorts for a charity drive to help the impoverished people of Africa, and a "funny and humorous" font is EXTREMELY inappropriate in that context.

The suffering of african children is not "funny". It's not "humorous". It's a tragedy and it should be addressed with taste.

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:02 am

Having said that good or bad, right or wrong concepts are somewhat questionable for the art because those are subjected to time, the costumes and the collective judgments, I have no problems in using a font or the other. There's no way to say that a font shouldn't be used, simply because it's just matter of personal opinion.
In any case this has not to be a tragic map. As you can see there's no SOS Africa logo on the map, this because this is not the SOS Africa map but the reward map for a charity event.
Now using a bit imagination, let me make an example, if I was a very rich man and I would be able to ask to someone to build a car for a Africa charity event, to give away with a sort of auction, I wouldn't ask to someone to create a car that makes people sad. Who will drive a car that make sad! Probably the car can be customized a bit or painted with some african colors, but I can't ask to paint the image of a poor child suffering on a car door just because the car was done for a charity event to raise funds for people who is suffering.

Back on our map, our task isn't and wasn't to give to everyone a map to remember all time about the sufference in the african continent, but more just a new africa themed map as reward for a good cause. ;)
So for the font use one or the other is the same for me, up to the community to decide...as said imo it's just matter of common taste.
For the elephants, I'll turn them.

Nobodies
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby natty dread on Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:14 am

I'm not saying you should make the map "sad", just that it should be in good taste, and using a font that looks like it's straight from a childrens' book isn't in good taste considering the subject...

The old font looks like it belongs on a map like doodle earth, and if that's what you want to do, to create a "doodle africa" then that's fine with me, but the rest of the map doesn't look like that... the look and style of the map looks more like a "serious" geographical representation of Africa, not a joke map like doodle earth.

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:21 am

It's a very nice font; a little bit exotic without going overboard.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby natty dread on Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:23 am

Another thing: the border between Western Sahara / Algeria is really small, to the point that it nearly looks like a 4-way border on the small version, and it's unclear. I think you should tweak it a bit to make the connection more clear.

Postby Gillipig on Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:51 am

natty dread wrote:The objective truth is that the old font is horrible and doesn't fit this or any other map. It's tacky, tasteless, cheesy, and inappropriate for the theme of the map. Africa is not a funny and whimsical la-la-land. Implying that it is simply condescending and racist. This very map was made as a prize of sorts for a charity drive to help the impoverished people of Africa, and a "funny and humorous" font is EXTREMELY inappropriate in that context.

natty dread wrote:The old font looks like it belongs on a map like doodle earth, and if that's what you want to do, to create a "doodle africa" then that's fine with me, but the rest of the map doesn't look like that... the look and style of the map looks more like a "serious" geographical representation of Africa, not a joke map like doodle earth.

Please make up your mind natty. Will you protest the use of that font like it was the most racist, discriminating and horrible "children book font", or let nobodies get away with using it by just saying "if that's what you want to do then that's fine with me"?
It's really sick to imply that the font is racist just because it's a happy font! Some people see racism in everything, even where there's none.

Maybe you could put up a poll nobodies, to determine what font the foundry prefers!? Maybe throw in a third alternative font as well.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Kabanellas on Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:36 am

This map is looking great!! =D> =D> =D>
Major Kabanellas

Postby natty dread on Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:21 am

Gillipig wrote:Please make up your mind natty. Will you protest the use of that font like it was the most racist, discriminating and horrible "children book font", or let nobodies get away with using it by just saying "if that's what you want to do then that's fine with me"?

Gillipig, I don't know if you have a problem with reading, or with comprehending what you read, but can you please stop posting useless drivel about things you don't know anything about? Thanks.

Postby DiM on Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:13 am

Victor Sullivan wrote:I'm just realizing, I may have done this wrong for a long time now - is it g.e. or e.g.?

-Sully

I.E. - What Does i.e. Mean?

"I.e." stands simply for "that is," which written out fully in Latin is 'id est'. "I.e." is used in place of "in other words," or "it/that is." It specifies or makes more clear.
E.G. - What Does e.g. Mean?

"E.g." means "for example" and comes from the Latin expression exempli gratia, "for the sake of an example," with the noun exemplum in the genitive (possessive case) and singular to go with gratia in the ablative (prepositional case) singular. "E.g." is used in expressions similar to "including," when you are not intending to list everything that is being discussed.
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Gilligan on Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:41 am

Captain Gilligan

Postby Gillipig on Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:30 am

natty dread wrote:
Gillipig wrote:Please make up your mind natty. Will you protest the use of that font like it was the most racist, discriminating and horrible "children book font", or let nobodies get away with using it by just saying "if that's what you want to do then that's fine with me"?

Gillipig, I don't know if you have a problem with reading, or with comprehending what you read, but can you please stop posting useless drivel about things you don't know anything about? Thanks.

You changed your attitude about it in a heartbeat. Just thought that was strange.
If you're tired of my posts it's nothing compared to how tired I am of your posts! You're grumpier than the grumpiest 60 year old!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby isaiah40 on Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:39 am

Okay guys, let's get this back on topic and not at each other.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby chapcrap on Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:40 pm

natty dread wrote:Another thing: the border between Western Sahara / Algeria is really small, to the point that it nearly looks like a 4-way border on the small version, and it's unclear. I think you should tweak it a bit to make the connection more clear.

This is truth.

The font debate... I like the newer font better. And it is to be used, the legend and everything should be changed I think.
Gillipig wrote:You're grumpier than the grumpiest 60 year old!

:lol: That made me laugh.

The elephant change was a good one. I would make all of the animals larger overall and I like the gloomier, muted outline around the edges of the animals in the first version.

Can the first post be updated? Or was that updated map just a hypothetical update to look at the font differences?
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:55 am

Nobodies, would it be possible to make the small map...even a little smaller? It's pretty big / tall, and it looks like it might be possible to make it smaller. The only thing I like more about Africa, over Africa II, is that it is smaller and fits in your window nicer.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:40 am

Everything is possible, but be aware that if Lackattack will compress it as always it will look very awful when you will made a comparison with the large.
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:40 am

My vote is for a bigger, better version of Africa. Wait a minute, we have that with Africa 2. Please leave it. A bit of scrolling never hurts unless you have Carpal tunnel syndrome.
As none of us are fish, lets leave it as it is. ;)
Lieutenant koontz1973

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas