Conquer Club

Trench Warfare

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: Trench Warfare

Postby jammyjames on Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:06 am

I'm not so sure Leehar. It appears to me he is talking about trench?
Corporal 1st Class jammyjames

Postby pmchugh on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:27 am

Yeah I still read it as referring to TW.
2009-08-12 03:35:31 - Squirrels Hat: MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
2009-08-12 03:44:25 - Mr. Squirrel: Do you think my hat will attack me?
Major pmchugh

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:37 pm

pmchugh wrote:Yeah I still read it as referring to TW.

Hm, the mystery continues!

I'm in my first Trench game...so we'll see how it goes. It is nice to be able to play Freestyle again...I like this.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Viceroy63 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:50 pm

Well, this is the first that I have heard of this and as I understand it, it is a great idea. The fact that armies have to be centralized will create a different kind of strategy. Two opposing armies in the same zone can tear each other up without have to worry about another player stepping in and reaping the rewards of that battle. No more sweeper to come in at the end and clean every thing up. Just who ever wins that battle wins the zone. Perhaps a limit to the rolls could be a good idea as well. The attacker could only roll a maximum of 10 or 15 rolls and then decide to stand his ground or retreat.

This also makes for a tiny observation. The attacking army must close in first. So then the defending army has the option of assaulting the attacking army and retreating, keeping his army in tact while losing the region but being able to come back in bigger numbers (according to the spoils) another day. I am referring to really large number of troops here, say more then 30 troops. This is much more realistic to the real thing because to date, I have never heard of an army sweeping around the world to take it all. :lol:

But Seriously; Even Hitler in his Blitzkrieg war had limitations. He did not continue his sweeps into all of Europe and Russia as he did in most of Central Europe. It just does not happen like that. Hitler had to make an alliance with Mussolini and was not able to take Great Britain. So in that effect, the AA setting would provide a more realistic aspect in which actual alliances could be formed that could not be formed in normal CC games because it would not make any sense in a normal CC game, to make an alliance, only to break it in the next round because it is to your advantage to break it then.

There is so much that I am looking forward to figuring out about this setting but I am all for it. It seems to me that this setting would do especially well in Team Games. Also I think that we may have to write a whole new book of strategy for this type of Adjacent Attacks setting. It even got me thinking; What if Cannons could be brought into play or missiles that while they could not invade the Adjacent Territory with the rest of the army (that is to say the regions that they were assaulting), could how ever be used on those regions after the Adjacent territories to bring them down to one if they have enough cannon balls or rockets? Or something like that?

Maybe I am going too far with this but it is an interesting thought none the less. A fortified cannon position would require a regular infusion of troops (say 5 troops per turn) just to maintain it and the number of troops on the cannon position would not grow for the fortified cannon position. So anyone able to eliminate the cannon position would first have to mount a superior force that would survive the cannon fire, then get close enough on the next turn to be in position, to then assault the cannons on the third turn. Cannon positions could be originally set up according to the spoils trade in, once it reaches a certain number of spoils to trade in. You would then have the option of so many troops or a cannon position? Like wise a rocket position that could take out the cannons once the spoils get high enough? These are just thoughts running through my head now. Something to think about perhaps?
An Unproven Hypothesis; The Rise of Ignorance.
Ultimate Proof of Creation. Click the show tab below.
show
Major Viceroy63

Location: A little back water, hill billy hick place called Earth.

Postby redhawk92 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:54 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:
pmchugh wrote:Yeah I still read it as referring to TW.

Hm, the mystery continues!

I'm in my first Trench game...so we'll see how it goes. It is nice to be able to play Freestyle again...I like this.

--Andy

so you really think its all about speed? :lol:

more anticipation and planning than speed :D
Captain redhawk92

Postby OliverFA on Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:33 am

Oh my! 34 ongoing games now! :o
Welcoming the long awaited Trench Warfare Setting (Previously Adjacent Attacks).

My Maps:
Research and Conquer - Civilization meets Conquer Club

Best score: 2,346 - Best position: #618 - Best percentile: 4.87%
Private OliverFA

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:06 am

rdsrds2120 wrote:
jammyjames wrote:1 vs 1 Feudal epic speed game just lasted 38 rounds!!!!!!!!!!!

:o :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I've been sure to put a round limit on my trench games. I don't want forever active games like that :cry:

-rd

38 rounds is forever?
ā€œā€ŽLife is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.ā€
ā€• Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby eddie2 on Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:13 am

OliverFA wrote:Oh my! 34 ongoing games now! :o

u pto 154 completed games last 3 days
Major eddie2

Postby rdsrds2120 on Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:20 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
rdsrds2120 wrote:

I've been sure to put a round limit on my trench games. I don't want forever active games like that :cry:

-rd

38 rounds is forever?

IN SPEED SIR YES IT IS.

-rd
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby eddie2 on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:06 am

rdsrds2120 wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
rdsrds2120 wrote:

-rd

38 rounds is forever?

IN SPEED SIR YES IT IS.

-rd

well use some common sense in maps like feudal if you start bottom 2 regions and they start top 2 you are looking at a minimum of 16 rounds before you even make any form of contact.
Major eddie2

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:54 am

Freestyle Trench may be a new setting that I'll play more of...

--Andy

Postby chapcrap on Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:49 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Freestyle Trench may be a new setting that I'll play more of...

--Andy

Perhaps you were wanting to look into the tournament that is located in my signature then...
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby OliverFA on Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:52 pm

chapcrap wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Freestyle Trench may be a new setting that I'll play more of...

--Andy

Perhaps you were wanting to look into the tournament that is located in my signature then...

Oh yes please pretty please! :D
Welcoming the long awaited Trench Warfare Setting (Previously Adjacent Attacks).

My Maps:

Private OliverFA

Postby ask me2 on Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:53 am

At first I saw this and said "No way!", but I'm really loving it now, it's all new strategy and tactics. Thank you Lack for finally imputing something useful!
Major ask me2

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:35 pm

chapcrap wrote:

--Andy

Too bad you used Feudal War and New World, I just avoid those maps. :D Maybe another time.

=======

ask me2 wrote:At first I saw this and said "No way!", but I'm really loving it now, it's all new strategy and tactics. Thank you Lack for finally imputing something useful!

I think if you give it a chance, Trench is a pretty fun way to play some of your games. Since the update went live on April 9th, 7512 games according to the game finder have been finished, or are active / waiting. :D

--Andy

Postby OliverFA on Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:25 pm

After several games, I change my opinion about freestyle. It's still too dependant on being online at all times. I think I will come back to sequential, and just have more games at the same time.

My Maps:

Private OliverFA

Postby HighlanderAttack on Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:42 pm

OliverFA wrote:After several games, I change my opinion about freestyle. It's still too dependant on being online at all times. I think I will come back to sequential, and just have more games at the same time.

what about speed freestyle
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
Lieutenant HighlanderAttack

Postby Viceroy63 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:44 pm

OliverFA wrote:After several games, I change my opinion about freestyle. It's still too dependant on being online at all times. I think I will come back to sequential, and just have more games at the same time.

I am currently playing two TW games and I also and beginning to wonder about the logic behind the Freestyle setting in these games. It may be worth it if the game takes even more longer than it might otherwise take any way just to be able to sleep uninterrupted all night long. It's like waking up just to take my medicine. :lol:
show
Major Viceroy63

Postby OliverFA on Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:22 pm

HighlanderAttack wrote:what about speed freestyle

Yes that makes more sense as in a speed game you are supposed to be online all the time.

Viceroy63 wrote:I am currently playing two TW games and I also and beginning to wonder about the logic behind the Freestyle setting in these games. It may be worth it if the game takes even more longer than it might otherwise take any way just to be able to sleep uninterrupted all night long. It's like waking up just to take my medicine. :lol:

At first it seemed like a good idea, but unfortunatelly the player that happens to be online gets an advantadge even above good strategy. Like let's say in a border clash with similar armies. The first player to attack has higher chance to win.

My Maps:

Private OliverFA

Postby Viceroy63 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:56 pm

Exactly; It would seem like a good idea because the TW game takes an awfully long time to play because it is such a lengthy process. I gave it the name of Slow and Gradual Expansionism. That being the case then, the Freestyle setting would appear to make things go by a bit quicker if every one played to the logic of quickening the game but it just seems that there are ways to take advantage of the Freestyle setting and make the freestyle setting undesirable in game play. Like when a player plays last and then waits for another player to play just to do an "Alexander." And in some cases, an "Alexander" could even mean the elimination of a player under the right conditions. And then one would really lose a lot of sleep then. :lol:
Last edited by Viceroy63 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
show
Major Viceroy63

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:23 am

I'm going to give Freestyle a few more chances with Trench before I decide whether I like it with the setting or not...

--Andy

Postby ask me2 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:41 pm

What is an "Alexander"?
Major ask me2

Postby Leehar on Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:47 pm

ask me2 wrote:What is an "Alexander"?

Conquering the world before turning 17? (getting to 17 rounds ;))
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby Viceroy63 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:47 pm

ask me2 wrote:What is an "Alexander"?

Lol; I guessed I coined that as well. What I mean to say is when any player, in a Freestyle, trench setting, who waits to be the last person to play and then waits again until another player plays in order to play quickly again, to expand his borders quickly. That is what I am referring to when I say an "Alexander." Hope that clears that up. But if not...

Alexander the great was famous for inventing what we called today, "The Blitzkrieg War" That is German for, "Lightning Fast War." Alexander's armies were so fast, that it is said, "that his armies never touched the ground." That's in reference to being so fast that his armies just flew over the ground rather than marched over it.

So in a trench game when you wait to be the last to play and then wait until some one plays so that you can again be the second to play in the round after that, then you can expand your borders quickly like Alexander the great did. Alexander the Great, In a matter of a few short years, quickly marched from Macedonia to the Caucasus, then to Egypt and finally deep into Asia, into the heart of the Persian empire all the way up to India. All in a matter of a few short years. In just a bit more time then a presidential term in office.

In normal game play, in Sequential for example, Such plays can not occur. I am of course referring to Trench settings after all. Such plays go against the normal flow of things. But it can happen in a Trench/Freestyle setting and appears as anything but normal, like the Alexandrian conquest of Persia. The Greek Empire that Alexander had conquered was the all time quickest for it's immense size. It just was not normal like other empires before it. I hope that this detailed explanation clears it up. That is why I call it, "an Alexander."
Last edited by Viceroy63 on Wed May 02, 2012 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
show
Major Viceroy63

Trench Warfare

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:37 pm

So how exactly is this differnt from FoW?
Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to defeat all evil. -Ephesians 6 KJV

My Smiley: ( :) ) --- it's got SHIELDS!

everywhere116 wrote:You da man! Well, not really, because we're colorful ponies, but you get the idea.
Sergeant shieldgenerator7

PreviousNext

Return to Conquer Club Discussion