Map Foundry Gallery

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Map Foundry Gallery

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:51 am

cairnswk wrote:tnb80, do you have access to chipv's database portal?
I know i have completed many more descriptions etc in there than are completed in your Gallery. Das ScloB, Rail Europe, Jamaica and Forbidden City are a couple i am certain were completed, and i know other mapmakers had completed their's also. Perhaps yopu are still in the process of migrating this over - yes?

No, it was the first thing i tried to do when i started this thing.
Unfortunately I have no way to see it nor to contact chipv...i think that the portal is dead and all the data we put in to it lost. :(

cairnswk wrote:although i think i had trouble getting one of the complexity ratings to work on Canada, British Isles)

Fixed, thanks for spotting them! ;)

cairnswk wrote:1. i think the images are too big, especially since you can click on them and get the larger version anyways
2. I won't go to the Rating's index again...it takes forever to download all those images - i really think this needs to be re-worked into something more manageable for download bytage and easier access.

As said, it's not done for small monitors. I wanted to implement medium size images because it gives you a real preview of the map, more than a small thumbnail or a dropdown list.
About the gallery Index, you don't need to visit it....I added the button on the gallery map pages exactly for that reason. But I don't understand why take so long to load the images, maybe your connetion is really slow. I've also added a javascript to load the images only when displayed exactly to not slow too much the page.

greenoaks wrote:i think the concept of this is good but have no interest in helping with it as that discourages lack from implementing it

I think that instead this could push lack for the opposite, lately there's too much pessimism around on this site..... Anyway thanks, I'm happy you think it's a good thing.

Give every man your ear, but few thy voice. Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgment.
show
Corporal 1st Class thenobodies80
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Medals: 70
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (8) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (17)

Postby Flapcake on Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:11 am

really good job done thenobodies80 =D> this would be nice see integrated in the frontpage of CC, maby in the menu of "Interaction" ?
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (3) Map Contribution (3)

Postby cairnswk on Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:14 am

thenobodies80 wrote:
cairnswk wrote:tnb80, do you have access to chipv's database portal?
I know i have completed many more descriptions etc in there than are completed in your Gallery. Das ScloB, Rail Europe, Jamaica and Forbidden City are a couple i am certain were completed, and i know other mapmakers had completed their's also. Perhaps yopu are still in the process of migrating this over - yes?

No, it was the first thing i tried to do when i started this thing.
Unfortunately I have no way to see it nor to contact chipv...i think that the portal is dead and all the data we put in to it lost. :(

OK i'll get onto them all
Corporal cairnswk

Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Postby CJ Lues on Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:39 am

Excellent Job guys!!!! =D> =D> =D> Bravo!

One minor mistake i saw, in the Rating page, New York City's name is "WWII "Gazala"... but sure it can be easily fixed.

Well done again!

-CJ-
-CJ-
Lieutenant CJ Lues

Location: I love a good plan, and i just love it when a plan comes together!
Medals: 43
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (17)
Clan Achievement (2) Training Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby Ffraid on Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:24 am

Wow, nice work nobodies! I used chipv's map database whenever I wanted to play a new map and have really missed it. This looks great.
Captain Ffraid

Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (1) General Achievement (7)

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:40 am

Lack is watching the Gallery closely, and has already communicated some improvements to thenobodies80 I believe that could be done so we could investigate more about integrating something like this into the website.

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby Gillipig on Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:19 pm

You sneaky lizard nobodies :P! I like it a lot :)! Especially if it'll be linked in the game finder menu. It could turn into a very useful tool if it also helped categorize maps after complexity (as voted by the players).
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (3)

Postby DiM on Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:36 pm

Gillipig wrote:if it also helped categorize maps after complexity (as voted by the players).

too bad some people don't vote on complexity like they should. i've seen simple straightforward maps rated 5 stars.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby Sniper08 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:49 pm

DiM wrote:
Gillipig wrote:if it also helped categorize maps after complexity (as voted by the players).

too bad some people don't vote on complexity like they should. i've seen simple straightforward maps rated 5 stars.

people always think 5 stars is better, they like a map they rate everything 5 stars which is stupid.

its a shame this wasnt done as a feature of the site, there is far too many add-ons around lack should seriously start converting some of them to on the site.
Colonel Sniper08
SoC Training Adviser

Medals: 136
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (26) General Achievement (11) Clan Achievement (14)
Training Achievement (5) Tournament Contribution (31)

Postby Gillipig on Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:05 pm

DiM wrote:

I voted on almost all maps myself and didn't notice many ratings that were way off. And when it was it was because only 1 or 2 had voted on it. I think when we get more players to vote this won't be an issue.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (3)

Postby army of nobunaga on Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:34 pm

Nice work and thank you for all the time this took.

I would suggest (though I know it is too late) that complexity be defined or refined.

Some maps are incredibly deep in game play because they are wide open with a few well placed bombardments and high neutrals (for example), and then some maps read like darn heiroglyphics.

So Complexity can be both a positive and a negative. I myself am not even sure what you are looking for in that catagory.

One other thing I would do (not too late for this) Make a 'view' that is non-graphical. For many of us, we know the maps WELL, we do not need the graphics, laying it out on a line by line basis would save a lot of time.

Ok one last thing, I would talk lack into making this tied to a medal or achievement... Everyone gets a gen contribution award if they rank every map they are cross-mapped in.
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (5) General Contribution (1)

Postby cairnswk on Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:24 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Lack is watching the Gallery closely, and has already communicated some improvements to thenobodies80 I believe that could be done so we could investigate more about integrating something like this into the website.

--Andy

NIce, now that's entirely positive :)
Corporal cairnswk

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Postby DiM on Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:31 pm

cairnswk wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Lack is watching the Gallery closely, and has already communicated some improvements to thenobodies80 I believe that could be done so we could investigate more about integrating something like this into the website.

--Andy

NIce, now that's entirely positive :)

positive? what's positive about that?

new xml features were promised to be implemented "within a few months" and yet years have passed and those promises haven't been honoured.

so saying "we could investigate more about integrating something like this into the website" is just a polite way of saying "we'll never have such a thing on CC"
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby cairnswk on Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:00 pm

^^^ Oh yea of little faith!
Of course its positive now by making that statement, it only becomes negative if nothing gets done. ;)
Last edited by cairnswk on Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal cairnswk

Postby army of nobunaga on Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:22 pm

Well DiM.. while I agree with you, I see a bunch of guys that worked their asses off here to do something positive with little reward. I cannot get negative in this thread. Until lack sees loss of revenues that are substantial I believe that it will be the community that does stuff like this. IT is what it is.

But I do agree with you.
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (5) General Contribution (1)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas