Conquer Club

Gold Fever --- 04.21.2012 V2 PG1

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Gold Fever --- 04.21.2012 V2 PG1

Postby Flapcake on Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:44 am

Map Name:Gold Fever
Mapmaker(s):Flapcake ---- XML Koontz1973
Number of Territories:51
Special Features:Autodeploys, bombardment, resets to neutral.
What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made:In insperation from the TV show "Gold rush" (what i wanted to call the map, but its taken) My idea is to give the feeling of a rush, you have to hurry and get your claim, bring in fresh labor and supplies, find the biggest lump of gold ever and take out your opponents.
Every image is either remodled or new created by me.

Gameplay
Gold diggers can one way atack cities.
Cities can one way atack claimĀ“s.
ClaimĀ“s can one way atack fresh labors and supplies.
Fresh labors and supplies can one way atack cities.
Gold strike areas can one way atack mine shafts.
Mine shafts can one way atack mega gold lump.
Mega gold lump can one way bombard gold diggers.
Cities resets to 1 neutral at end of turn.
Mine shafts resets to 2 neutral and mega gold lump to 10 neutral.

Troopdeplacement
Cities 1 neutral
Fresh labor 3 neutral
Supplies 3 neutral
Claims 1 neutral
Excavation 2 neutral
Gold strike 3 neutral
Mine shafts 2 neutral
Mega gold lump 10 neutral
Gold diggers ?

Now, the feedback im hoping for is firstly on the gameplay side, (graphics, lets wait to GP is settled)

The autodeploy, It could be to much with +3 for each one ? Im also not sure that they need to be connected. Start up amounth of troops on gold diggers, no idea.

Map Image:
Click image to enlarge.
Last edited by Flapcake on Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Re: Gold Fever --- 04.09.2012 V1 PG1

Postby Teflon Kris on Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:26 pm

This looks fun :D
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby chapcrap on Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:57 pm

Maybe the map could be an actual piece of historic land, like somewhere near California or Alaska/Yukon, where a gold rush actually happened.

The abstract piece of land isn't very appealing. Then you could use actual city names.

Now, that I look at it closer, I see that you are just messing up the city names: Seattle/Seacattle, Vancouver/Vacuumer, etc... I don't like it.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Flapcake on Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:22 am

chapcrap wrote:Maybe the map could be an actual piece of historic land, like somewhere near California or Alaska/Yukon, where a gold rush actually happened.

The abstract piece of land isn't very appealing. Then you could use actual city names.

Now, that I look at it closer, I see that you are just messing up the city names: Seattle/Seacattle, Vancouver/Vacuumer, etc... I don't like it.

Its for the fun, cartoonish kind of look

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:20 am

Flaps, this is the PM I sent you way back, nothing new but it might get the discussion started. Will have a long look at it this weekend and try to come up with a few new points for you.

As for the point about the names, go either way but I would not use real names for your funny ones. Try to be original with them but still keep the theme of funny cartoonist going. ;)

Ships, what are they for?

A lot of one way attacks, this limits the GP a lot. Make some more connections between the attacking routes. Right now, from what I gather, you need to attack forward, while defending the rear. This is the same as the patricks day map - hated as it is lucky dice alone that wins that map.

Post it, but right now, here are my general thoughts.

More cities - have a designated starting city for each miner. The cities need to have good attack routes (normal).

Same for the workers. Give each region a different type of GP. Go back to Das Schloss and look at the 3 different regions.
Mine shaft and gold lump - again the one way to attack the miners. You need to defend your rear while going forward. It will stagnate the game.

Good points though are I like the look. The miners are drawn very well.
The GP is different. That alone will make you bring it back to something more normal. look at the crap I had over knights, 1982 and RD. All three have been a struggle to get something slightly different done and have been forced to make a normal map. :(

Remember, these are he ramblings of a mad man and I assure you, if you work at it, it will be made.

koontz.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby charmir on Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:42 pm

Different that is for sure. Looks great fun but how do I attack the ships?
Sergeant charmir

Postby Flapcake on Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:03 am

charmir wrote:Different that is for sure. Looks great fun but how do I attack the ships?

Hi charmir, thanks for your comment, this map have a more complicated gameplay than strait forward maps, it demands a more performed explanation, therefor a legend text that have to be read are needed, maby the words have to be put in different to be more clear, thats something we can work on.

the ships are the supplies and can one way atack cities.

Postby Flapcake on Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:06 am

Update: town names changed to something less offensive, landskabe got some more conjecture now

Click image to enlarge.

Re: Gold Fever --- 04.21.2012 V2 PG1

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:31 am

Flaps, looking at the map, it could do with a serious size adjustment. Right now you have it at 840 high (way to large) and 760 wide (OK).

Can I get you to try some things for me.
With some movement you should be able to get the whole thing into a 630-650 width and 700 height. To do this, your text on the left is very spaced, move it together, same with the territs on the right. This will give you room for the men icons to move up. Also, shrink them by 40 pixels and you have saved a lot of space. Your claims to gold strike can do with some shrinkage to. Your mine shafts and mega gold lump can come down to give you the rest.

koontz
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Flapcake on Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:25 pm

koontz1973 wrote:Flaps, looking at the map, it could do with a serious size adjustment. Right now you have it at 840 high (way to large) and 760 wide (OK).

Can I get you to try some things for me.
With some movement you should be able to get the whole thing into a 630-650 width and 700 height. To do this, your text on the left is very spaced, move it together, same with the territs on the right. This will give you room for the men icons to move up. Also, shrink them by 40 pixels and you have saved a lot of space. Your claims to gold strike can do with some shrinkage to. Your mine shafts and mega gold lump can come down to give you the rest.

koontz

Il look in to it.

Flap

Postby Gillipig on Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:04 pm

Unique map for sure :)! Always fun to see something not based on a country/city.
I have two concerns though.
The gold diggers are very silly! Maybe insert some more serious looking characters ;) ?
Too many one way attacks. I think gameplay wise that might be a problem with poor mobility.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:12 pm

Gillipig wrote:The gold diggers are very silly! Maybe insert some more serious looking characters ;) ?

I like silly, silly is good now and again. :P
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Flapcake on Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:21 am

koontz1973 wrote:
Gillipig wrote:The gold diggers are very silly! Maybe insert some more serious looking characters ;) ?

I like silly, silly is good now and again. :P

He he yes me to :lol: Its ment to be silly, to many dead serious maps dominate CC :roll: but my map is not only silly, it have a serious gameplay, there are not that many one way atack, it only looks like it, you can go back for supplies and fresh labors.

You have to see it as a rush, your goin on a hunt for the biggest gold lump ever and same does 7 ohter guyes, do you want to go back ? noo move forward to win while kicking and pushing your opponents (maby more dirty tricks, finger in the eye, pull hair ect. ect.) :mrgreen:

Postby Flapcake on Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:55 am

Map scrinken to 715x729

Click image to enlarge.

Postby chapcrap on Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:29 pm

I know that koontz and Flap like the silliness of the map (I wouldn't call it cartoonish. It looks more like poor graphic work than good cartoon work), but I am not a fan of that. I don't mind the colors being fun/cartoony, but the way the map is currently setup isn't appealing me. However, the concept does appeal to me.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Flapcake on Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:18 am

chapcrap wrote:I know that koontz and Flap like the silliness of the map (I wouldn't call it cartoonish. It looks more like poor graphic work than good cartoon work), but I am not a fan of that. I don't mind the colors being fun/cartoony, but the way the map is currently setup isn't appealing me. However, the concept does appeal to me.

Hi chapcrap, You are 100% entitled to have your opinion, and that is fine, taste is different from person to person, some love Mr. bean, ohters hate him. But im kind of disapointed that you say "poor graphic work" I have spendt good time drawing every thing my self. What is wrong with some silliness ? try to see it as fun and a map you actually can play, I dident made this as a joke (like ohters that do maps as an provocation) but as a serius map that not only looked funny but also will be fun to play. You are not a fan of it, ok, I respect your opinion.

Postby chapcrap on Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:56 am

Flapcake wrote:
chapcrap wrote:I know that koontz and Flap like the silliness of the map (I wouldn't call it cartoonish. It looks more like poor graphic work than good cartoon work), but I am not a fan of that. I don't mind the colors being fun/cartoony, but the way the map is currently setup isn't appealing me. However, the concept does appeal to me.

Hi chapcrap, You are 100% entitled to have your opinion, and that is fine, taste is different from person to person, some love Mr. bean, ohters hate him. But im kind of disapointed that you say "poor graphic work" I have spendt good time drawing every thing my self. What is wrong with some silliness ? try to see it as fun and a map you actually can play, I dident made this as a joke (like ohters that do maps as an provocation) but as a serius map that not only looked funny but also will be fun to play. You are not a fan of it, ok, I respect your opinion.

I understand. I don't think that you are joking. And I was not trying to insult you.

I actually enjoy the faces at the bottom. It's the map itself that needs refinement. I think that the map could be more realistic and still have the cartoonish/silly aspect because of the miner's faces.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Flapcake on Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:58 am

chapcrap wrote:
Flapcake wrote:

I understand. I don't think that you are joking. And I was not trying to insult you.

I actually enjoy the faces at the bottom. It's the map itself that needs refinement. I think that the map could be more realistic and still have the cartoonish/silly aspect because of the miner's faces.

I see your point, and I know thers kind of distance between the funny faces and the boats, hammers, claims ect. It could be possible to turn more cartoonish look in to it, but I also think ther need to be some kind of balance so it dont get to silly ;) also the new city names this time are not from my imagination, most are names of minerals :!:

Maby the hammers can be changed whit a dynamite stick, and the ships with a more moby dick look a like boat, and the goldbars could be a sign instead that says "I found gold !" just balls thrown in the air :P

Postby chapcrap on Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:53 pm

I don't mind the icons so much. It's more the background and setup of the map itself. I think that the gold bars are fine. The hammers would not be awful to keep.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby army of nobunaga on Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:02 am

Ill be honest... I looked at this map a week ago and was like blah.

I have spent the last 10 minutes looking at it today.

Not too damn bad brother.

I suggest this... make it doodle style

you are gonna get bashed for graphics until you 1) conform to these guys idea of gaphics or 2) make the whole map in the style of your miners, cartoonish.

I think you could have a gem with #2

if you go #1.. I do not see this ever making it out.
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby Flapcake on Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:04 am

army of nobunaga wrote:Ill be honest... I looked at this map a week ago and was like blah.

I have spent the last 10 minutes looking at it today.

Not too damn bad brother.

I suggest this... make it doodle style

you are gonna get bashed for graphics until you 1) conform to these guys idea of gaphics or 2) make the whole map in the style of your miners, cartoonish.

I think you could have a gem with #2

if you go #1.. I do not see this ever making it out.

You are entitled to have your opinion and I appreciate you have taken you time studied it and your conclusion, I do not agree with you on the doodle thingy, one doodle map already exist and that is enough for me, I dont like doodle style at all, but that dosent meen that its not allowed to be here, Im sure the majority of gamers loves it.

This gold fever map, Im determined to work on. Iam goin in a more cartoonish way of style but as I mentioned previous, the balance of sillynes and serius must be present.

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:13 am

Flaps, if you want to go the cartoon way, you need to make sure the whole thing is of a cartoon style/theme. Try these images to give you inspiration.
Family guy.
American Dad.
King of the hill.
Archer.
or even the worst programme on TV today. The Simpsons

So far, the only cartoon element you have are the miners. The rest are jpegs. Give everything a feel of a modern cartoon but not a mish mash like now.

koontz
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Flapcake on Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:03 pm

My intentions are to make the workers like a old golddigger guy with wild beard, hat and a lit dynamite stick ;)

then the ships do them more like "Moby dick"

and the cities more like old western style instead of cirkles, the claims and the shaft + gold lump fits alrigth.

P.S. tha "Archer" from you job ? hehe

I know what you are after, but when you say cartoon, these are the ones I think of. These are the ones I watch as I gave up on Daffy duck, bugs bunny a long time ago. Your miners do remind me of Bluto from the popeye cartoons but with all of the wrinkles it does not quite work. May I suggest you try o do the whole image as a cartoon film cell. Go and look at the old Disney cartoons (Sleeping Beauty is the best on Blu Ray or Pinocchio) to get a feel of what can be done with a cartoon and still have a menacing look to it.

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:16 pm

Flapcake wrote:My intentions are to make the workers like a old golddigger guy with wild beard, hat and a lit dynamite stick ;)

then the ships do them more like "Moby dick"

and the cities more like old western style instead of cirkles, the claims and the shaft + gold lump fits alrigth.

P.S. tha "Archer" from you job ? hehe

I know what you are after, but when you say cartoon, these are the ones I think of. These are the ones I watch as I gave up on Daffy duck, bugs bunny a long time ago. Your miners do remind me of Bluto from the popeye cartoons but with all of the wrinkles it does not quite work. May I suggest you try o do the whole image as a cartoon film cell. Go and look at the old Disney cartoons (Sleeping Beauty is the best on Blu Ray or Pinocchio) to get a feel of what can be done with a cartoon and still have a menacing look to it.[/quote]
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:19 pm

If you do not like that idea, have a look at new jersey.
viewtopic.php?f=241&t=152681
That will probably be as cartoony as you will get. Look at the icons drawn for this one.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Next

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas