Conquer Club

Nigeria (Updated 22 Apr) V7, pg3

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Nigeria V6 (Updated 18 Mar) Pg2

Postby Gillipig on Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:26 am

Update coming up on Saturday.
Thanks for the feedback flap. I'll look into the symbols on Saturday. I plan to see this map through. Though I'm not as quick as some mapmakers. Some weeks I have more time than others, and some weeks I feel more motivated to work on the map than others ;) . This week I've been longing to make an update so I will :)! I'll comment on some map threads on Saturday as well. I seem to have quit doing that after a week where almost nothing happened in the foundry about a month ago.

P.S What are the criteria to get a map moved to the main foundry?
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby isaiah40 on Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:17 am

Looking good. I think if you move the "Unite all tribes ...", mini-map, title up a bit you can chop off the excess off the bottom and still have it clear and uncluttered. As for the move you're close ;)
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby erazor on Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:41 pm

Hi Gillipig, like the map but I can see a problem with the winning condition. By the time you hold what you have, all tribes and 7 villages, you have already won the game. Can you make it more realistic to get?
Cook erazor

Postby Bruceswar on Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:19 am

Can I say nice map. With that said it looks a bit messy. A few of the lines need to be redrawn. Almost looks like you had a pixel loss when updating.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Gillipig on Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:35 am

Bruceswar wrote:Can I say nice map. With that said it looks a bit messy. A few of the lines need to be redrawn. Almost looks like you had a pixel loss when updating.

Well I think I need to redraw all of them ;)! It was done very quickly. I plan on redrawing them in the near future. I'm also going to redraw the symbols. I don't think there's been a pixel loss when I uploaded the mage but I might be mistaken.

erazor wrote:Hi Gillipig, like the map but I can see a problem with the winning condition. By the time you hold what you have, all tribes and 7 villages, you have already won the game. Can you make it more realistic to get?

I could reduce the amount of villages needed to hold the condition I guess. Maybe 5 is better!?
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:21 am

Gillipig wrote:I could reduce the amount of villages needed to hold the condition I guess. Maybe 5 is better!?

Hi Gillipig, glad to see you are trying this again. A few things for you to consider over the GP side of things as you seem to acknowledge that the graphics need work and are working on them.

Your winning condition, like erazor said is to big, consider having two. Hold all tribes or villages to win.

You have a lot of bonuses in the south - region bonuses and building bonuses but very few in the north, and the north east is void of bonuses. this will need to be sorted out as anyone who drops mostly in the north is not going to win.

Think about putting more villages in, for a whole country to have so few villages, seems unrealistic and also could sort out the unbalanced up north.

I love the village icon though, but for the tribe icon, have a look at African masks. Bright and colourful, and you could have a different one for each tribe.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:29 am

I agree victory condition is really hard to achieve...probably it's easier to eliminate the other players than win by objective.
About bonuses, it's possbile to have some of thema bit smaller? and add a name on the map for them would be really a good thing.
try to draw the region borders with the pen tool, the result will be less pixelous. Are you using gimp for this one? In that case look at the tutorial natty posted, some of them are useful :) What graphics experience do you have? I'm asking because I don't want you find yourself stalled in future, just that! ;)

A question Jos and Abuja connect or not?
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby Gillipig on Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:45 pm

Thanks for the input guys :) ! I'm currently working on redrawing the bonus regions to make the map less loopsided bonus wise. Some borders look very rough and that will be fixed as well. Will not be able to finish today but will do the last half tomorrow morning.

Nobodies :) ;
Yes I'm using gimp. Downloaded gimp and got started on this map because of his tutorial actually. I used to be more comfortable with photoshop since that's what I used when I went a basic course in image manipulation. But now I like gimp more. Not all that much experience with image manipulation though so any advice/tips and tricks are more than welcome!
Jos and Abuja are not supposed to border each other but I can see why you're asking ;). Will be fixed in tomorrows update.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Gillipig on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:16 pm

Okay so here's the first update in a long while. I didn't get to do all that I wanted to do for this update but I'm just going to post what I've got so far. I'm looking for feedback on gameplay now! In the last version had a problem with bonuses being loopsided on the map. Is it more fair now? I've kept the old mini map so you can compare the new version to the old.
What do you think of the bonus borders? An improvement? Just don't care about the bonus colours, I like the previous version's colours theme more too ;)

Click image to enlarge.

Bonus Value - # of regions it has
Lieutenant Gillipig

Re: Nigeria (Updated 22 Apr) V6, pg3

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:33 am

Gillipig, you forgot to update the mini map. :roll:

You now have a good spread of bonuses throughout the map. Are you going to be putting the tribes and villages back in? Tree impassables?

Graphically speaking, can I ask what you are using for your territ lines and the river black outline?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Gillipig on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:52 am

koontz1973 wrote:Gillipig, you forgot to update the mini map. :roll:

It was intentional koontz :) !
Gillipig wrote:I've kept the old mini map so you can compare the new version to the old.

koontz1973 wrote:You now have a good spread of bonuses throughout the map. Are you going to be putting the tribes and villages back in? Tree impassables?

Graphically speaking, can I ask what you are using for your territ lines and the river black outline?

The trees will get back in for sure. I'll need to make some bonuses easier to hold.
Villages and tribes? We'll see. I'm a little worried about making the map look cluttered as I'm trying to give the map a clean and uncomplicated look. I want the map to work good without a ton of different bonuses. But some secondary bonus feature will be there for sure. If it's Villages or Tribes or both is up for grabs really. Depends on what the public thinks looks good/ works well. I don't think I'll keep the win condition though. Doesn't seem to be much support for it and I don't like it myself.

I used the pensel for the bonus region border. A standard 1 circle with a scale of 2,35. For the river/ocean outline I used the stroke along marking feature. Took a standard 1 circle I think. I'm quite happy with the bonus borders, not so much with the river/ocean outline :) .
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:59 am

As this is your first map, try to keep it simple - look at the trouble I had over Rorke's Drift compared to flaps Denmark map or nattys London map.

Never use the pencil for territ lines. For now, use the paint brush (fuzzy) with the paths tools. When you have had a play around with it, you can use the ink tool for the best results. If you go into the ink tool, change the size to 1only and this will give you a nice line. Touch nothing else till you are more used to it.

Move you mini map and title up. Title can go to the top and mini map under the out crop pn the right. The crop all of the bottom of. With the title at the top, try to put in a little story history about Nigeria.

koontz
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Pirlo on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:53 am

I wanna play trench on this map!
Captain Pirlo

Re: Nigeria (Updated 22 Apr) V7, pg3

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:57 am

OK gillipig, lets get this one moving along. We where talking about paths so here is a quick tutorial on how to use them.

Go to the paths tab and create a new paths layer.
Double click on said layer to get the paths tool.
Go to the image and enlarge to around 400% (bigger or smaller depending on how accurate you want it to be).
You can now do one of two things, I prefer the first one.
Set your starting point and move the pointer along your border a tiny fraction. Set the next point. Continue in this way till you come to the end of the line you want to draw.
Press Ctrl to set a new starting point. And follow the previous step.
Now continue till you have all of the paths drawn.
Create a new layer for the paths to be on. (Call it territ lines). Make sure it is highlighted.
Back to paths, right click and stroke path. (make sure you have the tool you want selected).

Gillipig, when will we see the next update?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Jippd on Sat May 12, 2012 3:14 am

Not sure if I can comment on the map appearance at this point, but what about changing the tribes symbol to an african war shield:

Maybe something like:

Smaller obviously and maybe just black silhouette.

Also I wouldn't put the tree's sideways between Gasau and Zaria. Can you keep them upright but instead of doing a solid line, stagger them and layer them so you can tell they are trees bunched.
Major Jippd

Postby DiM on Sat May 12, 2012 3:49 am

where's the nigerian prince?
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby ManBungalow on Sat May 12, 2012 3:56 am

DiM wrote:where's the nigerian prince?

He died and is currently trying to have his money transferred to your bank account.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby nolefan5311 on Sun May 13, 2012 4:38 pm

Gillipig is gone last I heard...
Captain nolefan5311

Postby koontz1973 on Sat May 19, 2012 7:28 am

[Moved]

If the mapmaker wants to continue with the map, then one of the Foundry Moderators will be able to help put the thread back into the Foundry system, after an update has been made. ;)

koontz
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby army of nobunaga on Mon May 21, 2012 10:31 pm

im actually digging this a little.
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Previous

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas