Conquer Club

[EoA] [PC] Online Status 2.0

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: The need for an "Online Now" status display.

Postby PLAYER57832 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:55 am

Was just going to submit this.. yeah search!
Corporal PLAYER57832

Online Status 2.0

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:41 pm

Concise description:
  • Set it so only friends can see you online.
  • Set it so that only foes can't see you online.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • I know a lot of mods turn their online status to hidden so people won't go flooding their wall/inbox (I imagine), but sometimes I need to talk to them, but I don't know if they're online! :?
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Re: Online Status 2.0

Postby blakebowling on Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:46 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:Concise description:
  • Set it so only friends can see you online.
  • Set it so that only foes can't see you online.

• I know a lot of mods turn their online status to hidden so people won't go flooding their wall/inbox (I imagine), but sometimes I need to talk to them, but I don't know if they're online! :?

I've always thought people on your friends list should be able to see it if hidden.

Regardless, this would require a phpBB MOD (which I may code, depending on when I get time).
Private blakebowling

Online?

Postby Mmcw82 on Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:08 pm

My suggestion is probably a simple one to implement.

The ability to see who is online when viewing the "My Games" page.

Currently the 'status' icon just shows if you can go or if person is taking their shot. How about making a new icon or just a simple 'online' somewhere in that line to show that the player is online?

I reckon such a thing could be handy as currently the only way to see if a player in your game is online is to actually click their username. There is no overview of who is online in your game.

Since I've joined CC I've noticed that I'm constantly checking the player who's turn it is before mine to see if they are online before I log out, just incase he is actually online and I'll likely have a shot to play shortly.

This would also likely speed up play in games in my opinion.
Private 1st Class Mmcw82

Re: Online?

Postby iamkoolerthanu on Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:41 pm

They already have this in the players profile/posts
Corporal 1st Class iamkoolerthanu

Postby Mmcw82 on Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:11 am

iamkoolerthanu wrote:They already have this in the players profile/posts

I was suggestion to have it availble on the "My Games" page.

If it's one turn away from being my shot, currently I need to click the person's name to find out if he online or not. If the player is online i'll hang around and see if he/she takes their shot.

Now if the ability to see if the player was online just by looking at the overview of my current games on "My Games" page was available I wouldn't need to click the players profile each time.

I don't know how many people actually check before they log off if the person before them is online or not. But if they where able to see quickly on their "My Games" page without clicking each players profile, they might hang around for a few more minutes in the expectance of the player taking their shot.

This speeds up play.
Private 1st Class Mmcw82

Postby iamkoolerthanu on Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:20 am

Ah, I see your point now :)

I actually like this idea, now that I understand it! :lol:
Corporal 1st Class iamkoolerthanu

Postby JBlombier on Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:50 pm

Mmcw82 wrote:My suggestion is probably a simple one to implement.

Perhaps, just don't create the illusion for yourself that it will be implemented soon.

Anyway, I think it's a good suggestion. As long as the option to hide your online status is still available, I'm in favour.
Colonel JBlombier

Postby usernamer on Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:37 pm

i think this is a good option to have (as long as it doesn't make the my games page take too long to load or anything, which i doubt it would)
Major usernamer

Postby blakebowling on Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:18 pm

Since this would add some clutter to the my games page, it would most likely be best done as an addon; OR as an option in game settings.

However either would require some code changing on the part of CC.
Private blakebowling

Postby xenowolff on Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:36 pm

A plausible method of doing it would have there be a little check mark or X directly before or after someone's rank to show they are online or off. I think it could be useful to a degree to be able to see when another in one of your games is online either from the my games screen or from in the game itself.

Im also not much of a programmer, but wouldn't that just require the programming to check for the player's online status, then show the appropriate image? like: if <player> is online, then (image one), if not then (image two)

I know its not that simple, (ie I use C/C++ alot and know its not written that way in them) but maybe its not all that complex.

Or I could be completely wrong. Iono. +1 for the idea.
'You have entirely too much common sense and perspective for this site. I am sorry, but I am going to have to request that you leave now.'
-Woodruff
Private xenowolff

Location: Pennsylvania, United States, North America, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Somewhere in the universe

Postby sniffie on Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:32 am

An add-on for this should be better then standard on the My games page I think, cause honestly I really don't care much whether who is on line or not.
And what will happen with people that hide their on line status, will they just show off line?

sniff
Corporal 1st Class sniffie

Add a notification if the user in online

Postby JimMohan34232 on Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:03 pm

Not sure if this is the correct format you are looking for... but here goes!

Concise description: Add a notifaction next to the user name in the join a game section that says whether the user is online or not

Specifics/Details:
When a User comes online they would be able to select or notify that they are currently online or not and this would show next to their user ID in the join a game section

This would allow players to join casual games that might move a little faster or they would atleast know whether or not the other player was going to be there to play. Maybe there could also be somethinga bout the last time the user was online.
Cadet JimMohan34232

Re: Add a notification if the user in online

Postby ender516 on Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:08 pm

If you click on the user's name, it will take you to their profile, where you can see if they are online currently and the last time that they visited the site (unless they have chosen to block this information). If you open the profile in another window or tab, you will still have the join game link in front of you if you decide to go for it.

Also, if you are looking for casual games played in real time (RT), to approximate the speed game experience, try the Callouts room of Live Chat.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby JimMohan34232 on Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:48 pm

I did see that if you went there it shows it so that is why I was thinking it would be possible to have it show in the games area as well. If the code was alreay written I thought it would be an easy task.
Cadet JimMohan34232

Postby ender516 on Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:00 pm

I think that this has been suggested before, and transferring the online status from the forum portion of the site to the game portion is reportedly non-trivial.

Postby chapcrap on Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:59 am

ender516 wrote:I think that this has been suggested before, and transferring the online status from the forum portion of the site to the game portion is reportedly non-trivial.

Did you mean trivial? Or are you saying that it's difficult to code when you say non-trivial?
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby ender516 on Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:52 am

chapcrap wrote:
ender516 wrote:I think that this has been suggested before, and transferring the online status from the forum portion of the site to the game portion is reportedly non-trivial.

Did you mean trivial? Or are you saying that it's difficult to code when you say non-trivial?

I meant non-trivial, as in difficult to code. I may be remembering it wrong, as it may have been more a problem of performance than one of complexity.

Postby stahrgazer on Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:36 am

JimMohan34232 wrote:Not sure if this is the correct format you are looking for... but here goes!

Concise description: Add a notifaction next to the user name in the join a game section that says whether the user is online or not

Specifics/Details:
When a User comes online they would be able to select or notify that they are currently online or not and this would show next to their user ID in the join a game section

This would allow players to join casual games that might move a little faster or they would atleast know whether or not the other player was going to be there to play. Maybe there could also be somethinga bout the last time the user was online.

Sounds nice, except:
1) just because a user is online at this moment doesn't mean the user is willing to play the casual game now.
2) some users prefer to set their status to hidden so they don't show up as online
3) there's a live chat for "real time" callouts if a user wants to know who will play "now" or not - and even that won't guarantee a player stays to finish the game

So, in the end, this suggestion would keep a player from having to make a click to check to see if a player chooses to reveal his or her online status that might or might not indicate a game could play 'realtime' instead of the options already available on CC to see if players are willing to show their online status or to maybe finish a game 'realtime.' No guarantees either way.

Since there are no guarantees either way, but livechat still gives a better chance, I think the site should keep the mouseclick requirement and spend coding time on other things instead.
Sergeant stahrgazer

[Forum] Hide online status but not to Friends.

Postby nietzsche on Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:51 pm

Hiding online status is great specially if you are playing casual freestyle games, but you might want to let those in your Friends list that you are online so you coordinate for team games or simply to chat

Specific Details:
  • There could be 3 options: Hide, Show and Show to friends only

• It would help coordinate turns in freestyle team games
  • It would help avoid the "u there?" question
  • More chatting between friends

Another friendly suggestion: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=193089&view=unread#p4225519
Last edited by chapcrap on Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Reference a similar suggestion
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Re: Hide online status but not to Friends.

Postby redhawk92 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:07 pm

nietzsche wrote:Hiding online status is great specially if you are playing casual freestyle games, but you might want to let those in your Friends list that you are online so you coordinate for team games or simply to chat

Specific Details:
  • There could be 3 options: Hide, Show and Show to friends only

• It would help coordinate turns in freestyle team games
  • It would help avoid the "u there?" question
  • More chatting between friends

+1 i like the idea
Captain redhawk92

Postby chapcrap on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:23 am

Very good idea. I am in favor of it.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby rhp 1 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:36 pm

chapcrap wrote:Very good idea. I am in favor of it.

+1... that is why they are your "friends", right? lol
Lieutenant rhp 1

Location: IF YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU'RE DOING, IT IS BEST TO DO IT....... QUICKLY

Postby macbone on Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:52 am

I support this idea, too. +1
Colonel macbone

Postby HardAttack on Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:35 am

Maybe the best idea of the 6 years whole. =D> =D> =D>
I really do mean it.
Maybe we can get this idea one step further, that is, you pick who can see your online status ?
LEGENDS of WAR
Colonel HardAttack

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions