Conquer Club

Salem's Switch V36 [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Salem's Switch [17.3.12] V33-P31 BETA Live!

Postby cairnswk on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:45 am

ghirrindin wrote:Yes, yes! I hadn't read the trench rules close enough. I now see in the headline post that it does not apply to killer neutral territories. Sorry for my incomplete understanding of the setting.

I do love the map, by the way. =)

Excellent :)

blackjoke wrote:Just a thought for future maps. The death on road configuration would be great fo a Berlin, Stalingrad or Monte Cassino street fight map.

Yes blackjoke...could be something there! :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:46 am

An xml fix...
J. Trask now included in landowners bonus in attached xml.
Attachments
salem_V33.xml
(73.13 KiB) Downloaded 716 times
Private cairnswk

Postby chevy1269 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:33 pm

game 10909346 have 7 landowners but not receiving 3 bonus for them ? is this a bug or am i missing something in the bonus descriptions 7 landowners 3 bonus is what i read . red right hand side .

thanks eric
Sergeant chevy1269

Postby Gilligan on Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:44 pm

chevy1269 wrote:game 10909346 have 7 landowners but not receiving 3 bonus for them ? is this a bug or am i missing something in the bonus descriptions 7 landowners 3 bonus is what i read . red right hand side .

thanks eric

I accidentally missed J. Trask in the XML. Since it's fog, I can't see, but if you have J. Trask that is why.
Captain Gilligan

Postby cairnswk on Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:51 pm

cairnswk wrote:An xml fix...
J. Trask now included in landowners bonus in attached xml.

Just waiting on Gilligan to check this before getting it to lackattack for updating... :)
Private cairnswk

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:50 am

The xml was sent to the turtle and the players of all active games warned about the current issue and that it will be fixed soon. ;)

Nobodies
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby pamoa on Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:33 pm

I must admit I didn't like it at the beginning but with trench its great and in the end its a very pleasant map
I've played like 40 1vs1 games on this map and I never saw anybody going for the township
it's like a dead part of the map
I know you have a very subtly balanced starting position scheme which is working fine
but its a pity having such an important part of the map so inaccessible
De gueules Ć  la tour d'argent ouverte, crĆ©nelĆ©e de trois piĆØces, sommĆ©e d'un donjon ajourĆ©, crĆ©nelĆ© de deux piĆØces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby cairnswk on Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:41 pm

pamoa wrote:I must admit I didn't like it at the beginning but with trench its great and in the end its a very pleasant map
I've played like 40 1vs1 games on this map and I never saw anybody going for the township
I know you have a very subtly balanced starting position scheme which is working fine

i think that is part of the culture of those days. Most people would have been farmers which is where all this started.
To get to town, you have to travel.
I understand what you are saying, but also think about it that if someone wants those bonuses in town they must be prepared to travel and work for them, i see some of them as higher rated bonuses than the accuser/accused pairs and landowners.
There is also always scope to change some starting positions as i proposed a couple of pages back. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby Devon99 on Fri May 18, 2012 6:31 pm

I know I'm repeating past history here but dam this map works so well with trench, when a rev take a judge its nice, the judge goes neut but not killer nuet so its two rounds to get back to bombarding. Two rounds is no good if your opponent holds a Rev. Which is all just perfect, makes ita real cat and mouse game.

Also agree with previous posts, landowners just aren't coming into there own yet, proabaly cus they seem off the beaten path and when there are bonuses to break from the off.

Still a really nice map, well played Cairns.
Major Devon99

Postby cairnswk on Fri May 18, 2012 7:20 pm

Devon99 wrote:I know I'm repeating past history here but dam this map works so well with trench, when a rev take a judge its nice, the judge goes neut but not killer nuet so its two rounds to get back to bombarding. Two rounds is no good if your opponent holds a Rev. Which is all just perfect, makes ita real cat and mouse game.

Also agree with previous posts, landowners just aren't coming into there own yet, proabaly cus they seem off the beaten path and when there are bonuses to break from the off.

Still a really nice map, well played Cairns.

Thank-you Devon. :)
I am finding in the games that I am in which are still going since this started Beta that because of the assault capability of the judges (when someone goes to town), it wipes out the accuser/accused bonuses that people have built. So now players are seeing the alternative that holding the landowners in itself still creates a bonus (coupled with Town Halls and gossiping) that can be used for building more land property bonuses and assaulting neighbours.
This is a quick map for 1v1 if it is played only with accuser/accused pairs, but if you expand to landowners the game takes on a whole different dimension.
I am also finding that rather holding a judge, players are sitting to the side of the judge with large numbers of armies which doesn't allow the reverends to assault the judges hence now loss of armies.
This causes a surprise effect if you haven't forted your accused territories enough when a judge suddenly assaults the whole accused territories.
tbh...i am finding this would have to be one of the most strategic of my maps so far. ;)
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Fri May 18, 2012 7:24 pm

pamoa wrote:I must admit I didn't like it at the beginning but with trench its great and in the end its a very pleasant map

pamoa. i am sorry i missed this post so long... :oops:
I have to disagree about the township.
Getting to the township involves a decent risk of travelling the roads and conquering points along the way.
But once there. you are almost protected to some degree from other players who might not want to take the risk.
As with the previous post about the potential of landowners, there is also a great deal of potential in the township if someone wants to take that risk. ;)
Private cairnswk

Postby army of nobunaga on Fri May 18, 2012 8:55 pm

WOOWOOO!

good work man
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby isaiah40 on Sat May 19, 2012 9:52 am

I believe that this is really balanced, even with the town in the corner, just don't play trench unless you have round limits as well. This probably be one of the maps I'll play regularly. Great job cairns!!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby cairnswk on Sat May 19, 2012 11:47 am

isaiah40 wrote:I believe that this is really balanced, even with the town in the corner, just don't play trench unless you have round limits as well. This probably be one of the maps I'll play regularly. Great job cairns!!

Thank you isaiah40, much appreciated. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby sudokU on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:53 am

Is it a bug?

See game 11038562 and pay special attention on blue at field B12. He missed the turn but still has 14 troops.

If blue misses all three turns, will the troops stay? I think that missing or not, the troops have to be changed to neutral.

The rest of the map is ok, maybe too slow to get new bonuses (but maybe I have to learn more from this map)

Click image to enlarge.
Captain sudokU

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:31 pm

killer neutral where the 14 troops are not removed until the beginning of the player's turn.
therefore those troops will most likely stay until blue plays again.
if he misses all three turns, I would say they will be removed automatically since he has to be removed from the map.
Private cairnswk

Postby Gilligan on Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:53 pm

cairnswk wrote:killer neutral where the 14 troops are not removed until the beginning of the player's turn.
if he misses all three turns, I would say they will be removed automatically since he has to be removed from the map.

They'll be removed if he deadbeats, but the number will stay the same. It won't revert to 1.
Captain Gilligan

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:20 pm

Gilligan wrote:
cairnswk wrote:killer neutral where the 14 troops are not removed until the beginning of the player's turn.

They'll be removed if he deadbeats, but the number will stay the same. It won't revert to 1.

Oooh!
That's sad/bad and not required.
So, is this a bug in the system where this needs to be addressed?
Thanks for that insight Gilligan
Private cairnswk

Postby Gilligan on Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:00 pm

cairnswk wrote:
Gilligan wrote:

Oooh!

I'm pretty sure it's always been like that. I'm sure it could be coded that when a there's a deadbeat, the killer neutral territs can actually kill, but the only way they do, as of now, is by Beginning Turn
Captain Gilligan

Postby Foreverman on Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:48 am

The program is not allowing me to attack from Benjamin Porter to any of the surrounding attack points. (It was attacked from B7, so maybe it can attack there next time.)
Sergeant Foreverman

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:04 am

Foreverman wrote:The program is not allowing me to attack from Benjamin Porter to any of the surrounding attack points. (It was attacked from B7, so maybe it can attack there next time.)

Looks like you're another victim of a trench game...
Please may i ask you advise the game number that you're playing so that anyone answering has an easier time of finding out something for you. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:03 am

As i would be happy for this one also to be quenched :)
Private cairnswk

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:47 am

cairnswk wrote:As i would be happy for this one also to be quenched :)

Yeah, I forgot to post the same thing (see rail asia) also here. O:)
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby JustCallMeStupid on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:40 pm

Gilligan wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
Oooh!

I'm pretty sure it's always been like that. I'm sure it could be coded that when a there's a deadbeat, the killer neutral territs can actually kill, but the only way they do, as of now, is by Beginning Turn

Yes It has always been this way. If u dead beat it does not revert to a neutral point being because it reverts on the opponents next turn, if he never has a next turn nothing happens. That is how it works.

On a side note. This map seems to be really bad for team games like 2v2 or greater. Too easy to insta eliminate starting locations and in my 2v2 game each player starts with 3 territories giving first player a huge advantage considering a 5 deploy and insta kill of enemy territory and bonus.

Also, how many starting territories are there? Based on my one game Im in it must be between 12 and 15. If this is the case it seems in an 8 player game one could be eliminated before their first turn which will pretty much kill the map in more competitive play. Is it meant to be more of a 1v1 map?
Major JustCallMeStupid

Postby Gilligan on Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:02 pm

Everyone gets 3 starting territories, but there are 8 possibilities of combinations.
Captain Gilligan

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas