Conquer Club

Gentle Revolution [15 Feb 2012]

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Gentle Revolution - edited text

Postby thehippo8 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:41 pm

Too funny, I thought that Duke's suggestion was good, but it's your map!! The wording suggested was:

November 16, 1989: Bratislava student rally sparks revolution and the collapse of the Communist Party of Czechoslovakia.
Corporal 1st Class thehippo8

Postby natty dread on Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:08 pm

The dissident symbols need to be redone...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Oneyed on Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:57 pm

thehippo8 wrote:Too funny, I thought that Duke's suggestion was good, but it's your map!! The wording suggested was:

November 16, 1989: Bratislava student rally sparks revolution and the collapse of the Communist Party of Czechoslovakia.

looks too short for me. but if this is correct "true" english version ok.

natty dread wrote:The dissident symbols need to be redone...

this is the original symbol of Slovak revolutionary movement. what is wrong?

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby thehippo8 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:27 pm

Oneyed wrote:
thehippo8 wrote:Too funny, I thought that Duke's suggestion was good, but it's your map!! The wording suggested was:

natty dread wrote:The dissident symbols need to be redone...

this is the original symbol of Slovak revolutionary movement. what is wrong?

Oneyed

Please don't think that I am telling you what to do! If you want to keep your current text I add a couple of corrections for grammatical correctness. You missed the comma after students and I think the sentence needs to be broken up. Here's my suggestion:

A peaceful demonstration organized by Slovak students, during November 16, 1989, sparked demonstrations all over Chechoslovakia. It brought about the revolution against communist totalitarianism and the downfall of the Communist Party of Chechoslovakia.

As to the re-doing of the symbols - you are correct as to that is what they should look like but your graphics are not up to par. You need to make them clearer using a graphics editor or restart them again.

Postby Oneyed on Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:27 pm

thehippo8 wrote:Please don't think that I am telling you what to do!

it is great that you help me. and also others guys, ofcourse :)

new version with edited text and new symbol for dissidents
Click image to enlarge.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby tokle on Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:35 pm

You don't really need to have an essay on there. It would look better if the text was as short as possible.

It could be as simple as:
"Student rallies spark revolution and the collapse of the communist regime."

You already have the info that it is in Bratislava and that it is November 1989 written above, so the text doesn't need to include that.
Major tokle

Postby thehippo8 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:37 pm

tokle wrote:You don't really need to have an essay on there. It would look better if the text was as short as possible.

It could be as simple as:
"Student rallies spark revolution and the collapse of the communist regime."

You already have the info that it is in Bratislava and that it is November 1989 written above, so the text doesn't need to include that.

I agree. But if you do want the longer one then the comma belongs after the "students" and before the "during"!!

Re: Gentle Revolution - what the f.ck?

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:16 am

natty dread wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:Yeah, but it's a pain to deal with, because the high-ASCII characters that are needed don't fall into the alphabet in the expected places.

You get situations like on Nordic Nations, if you forget that Aland with the loop comes at the end of the alphabet instead of at the beginning, you are trying to attack from Aland, and you go to the attack pull-down and it's not there. Eventually you realize it's at the bottom, but at first you find yourself going up and down the pull-down thinking, "Am I crazy? Do I or do I not own Aland? Where the hell did it go?"

ƅ, Ƅ and Ɩ are exactly where they're supposed to be, though. They officially do come after Z in the Finnish & Scandinavian alphabets.

I realize they're in the right place. Still, it's confusing to those of us who aren't accustomed to working with them.

Besides, now that there's clickable maps, the concern is moot anyway. You can just click on the region you want to attack to/from.

It's tough to teach an old dog new tricks. Maybe if there were clicable maps when I joined CC, I would have learned to use them, but I learned to use the pull-downs, and once I find a system that works I'm extrememly reluctant to try something else.

And before you dismiss me as an just old fuddy-duddy, you should be made aware that the statistic is that 34% of CC users have never used clickies.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Re: Gentle Revolution - gameplay setup

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:35 am

Oneyed wrote:guys thanks to everybody for inputs, feedbacks and nice words :D .
about Ė‡Ā“, I will use them, I for example like nordic characters and I think I can show something from my country, language to all people.

Dukasaur, DuŔan is so Slovak/Czech name so you must be from here originaly :D

Yes. Note that my avatar has two flags, not one.

Oneyed wrote:

The nice thing about English is that it's very flexible. There is rarely just one correct way to say something; most of the time you can choose from many equally-valid alternatives.

But on this I think you should trust me. I spent seven years editing political newsletters, back in the days before computers, when we had to pay typesetters by the word, and devising ways to say the same thing in fewer words is something I'm very good at. Nowadays people are lazy, they can copy and paste entire encyclopeadias, and word economy is rare. But it's still worth practising. People have a short attention span, and the fewer words your description uses, the more likely it is to be well-recieved.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Re: Gentle Revolution - gameplay setup

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:35 am

Dukasaur wrote:But on this I think you should trust me. I spent seven years editing political newsletters, back in the days before computers, when we had to pay typesetters by the word, and devising ways to say the same thing in fewer words is something I'm very good at. Nowadays people are lazy, they can copy and paste entire encyclopeadias, and word economy is rare. But it's still worth practising. People have a short attention span, and the fewer words your description uses, the more likely it is to be well-recieved.

Fewer words is always the better option. Used to hate my father when at school he would take an essay of a 1000 words and cut it down to 500. :x
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Gentle Revolution [15 Feb 2012]

Postby thenobodies80 on Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:38 am

I added a tag to your title in the OP.
Please add always a date in your title, in this way it's easier to keep track of your work. ;)
viewtopic.php?f=649&t=150681#p3292831
Thanks
Nobodies
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby Oneyed on Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:07 am

thanks nobodies.

I will follow your advices :)

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby Industrial Helix on Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:16 pm

Your dissident symbol reaaly need to be changed into something that isn't so pixeled.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby Oneyed on Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:36 am

Industrial Helix wrote:Your dissident symbol reaaly need to be changed into something that isn't so pixeled.

also in this version?
Click image to enlarge.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:58 pm

[Moved]

If the mapmaker wants to continue with the map, then one of the Foundry Moderators will be able to help put the thread back into the Foundry system, after an update has been made. ;)

koontz
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby thehippo8 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:02 am

Looking forward to that!

Postby Viceroy63 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:16 pm

Please be gentle with me as this is my first or one of my first attempts at branching out in this forum direction.

I am just wondering if the Gas Stations serve as Diners or Coffee houses at the same time as most Gas stations in the USA also serve other uses as well. Some are even Supermarkets. Could Gas Stations serve some other type of bonus situation like that as well? Like some kind of a resupply depot? Like if you own 3 you get four troops and 4 gets you five troops and so on. Or did I read that they turn neutral each turn?

Also; Is there anyway to put in some trees especially like around the rivers and what not? Or at least make it more green like? This is country, right? like a city or town some where in the countryside?

OK, and perhaps around the borders edges, what countries (if any) or other towns are like north and south and east and west? Like where the roads go off of the map, you can put, [To ___ --->]
OK, so maybe you also need some roads that go off of the map I think?

And the white wording does not contrast too well with the current color. Green or some other dark color for the landscape would bring out the white lettered words better. Or make the letters black. Both are too light to make the words really easy to read.

I think that this could be a most educational map.
An Unproven Hypothesis; The Rise of Ignorance.
Ultimate Proof of Creation. Click the show tab below.
show
Major Viceroy63

Location: A little back water, hill billy hick place called Earth.

Postby Oneyed on Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:04 am

Viceroy63 wrote:Please be gentle with me as this is my first or one of my first attempts at branching out in this forum direction.

try look aruond here, you can find more interesting maps :)
Viceroy63 wrote:I am just wondering if the Gas Stations serve as Diners or Coffee houses at the same time as most Gas stations in the USA also serve other uses as well. Some are even Supermarkets. Could Gas Stations serve some other type of bonus situation like that as well? Like some kind of a resupply depot? Like if you own 3 you get four troops and 4 gets you five troops and so on. Or did I read that they turn neutral each turn?

forgot Gas stations. there is updated version without them. there are only road crosses.
for info: the Gas stations between towns or on highways are also diners or coffee houses. you can also buy there some foods, newspapers, music cd, things from drugstores...
Viceroy63 wrote:Also; Is there anyway to put in some trees especially like around the rivers and what not? Or at least make it more green like? This is country, right? like a city or town some where in the countryside?

wait for next update. there will be another background. but yes, you are right - there should be trees and also some wood on the north.
Viceroy63 wrote:OK, and perhaps around the borders edges, what countries (if any) or other towns are like north and south and east and west? Like where the roads go off of the map, you can put, [To ___ --->]
OK, so maybe you also need some roads that go off of the map I think?

there are no towns around. this is town Bratislava.
Viceroy63 wrote:And the white wording does not contrast too well with the current color. Green or some other dark color for the landscape would bring out the white lettered words better. Or make the letters black. Both are too light to make the words really easy to read.

I know. I must find any option how to make black letters of the map and of the legends different.
Viceroy63 wrote:I think that this could be a most educational map.

thanks. and thank you for ideas and interest. but I need some time for update - 27th april I become father, so I will have much to do in RL. :D

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:08 am

Oneyed wrote:27th april I become father, so I will have much to do in RL. :D

Oneyed

Congrats. =D>
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby thehippo8 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:44 am

CC is like a breeding factory :lol: