Conquer Club

Generic Themepark Map / Silver Dollar City / Branson Misouri

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Generic Themepark Map / Silver Dollar City / Branson Mis

Postby Crazy Frog on Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:46 am

Wow inkscape has allot of features.. looks like it would do allot...
But it is allot more complicated than paintbrush...

The simplest thing... like painting a line... becomes a major issue...

I have Coral Draw somewhere in this computer too... I wonder if it would work for this??? That one is complicated too...
Im just not very grafix program oriented I guess...
Sergeant 1st Class Crazy Frog

Postby natty dread on Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:02 am

Um... Inkscape?

No offense, but Inkscape is not going to be sufficient to create the kind of graphics you need for a CC map. Inkscape is a vector graphics software, I sometimes use it to draw the map shape and then import the vectors to GIMP but you can't do any advanced graphics effects on it.

If you need a free graphics software, download GIMP.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Crazy Frog on Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:27 pm

Yeah I think I have GIMP too... I wonder why they are all so much more complicated than Paintbrush... Its like to do the simplest thing becomes a run around... You cant just click what you want and do it...:-( Sort of Aggravated with it at the moment.

I just checked I have Gimp 2...???
I need to take a tutorial class on one of these programs I guess...
Last edited by Crazy Frog on Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby thehippo8 on Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:41 pm

Crazy Frog wrote:Yeah I think I have GIMP too... I wonder why they are all so much more complicated than Paintbrush... Its like to do the simplest thing becomes a run around... You cant just click what you want and do it...:-( Sort of Aggravated with it at the moment.

I just checked I have Gimp 2...???
I need to take a tutorial class on one of these programs I guess...

The difference is massive. Rastor graphics look dreadful when made bigger, vector graphics give clean crisp lines. I am interested in why Natty dislikes Inkscape and will have a think about that myself. But certainly Paint is so easy ... just so bad!
Corporal 1st Class thehippo8

Postby Crazy Frog on Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:07 am

Paint is simple yes.. Just a few tools to learn...
But it is also Intuitive...

You just click what you need and do it.

Why are these other programs so complicated that you do not even have a paint pallet that you can easily click and work with?
Im sure it is there somewhere... but being the most often used tools... COLORS, Lines, Fonts and Shades should be in one easy to use box...
Simplicity would sell.

Postby natty dread on Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:12 am

thehippo8 wrote:The difference is massive. Rastor graphics look dreadful when made bigger, vector graphics give clean crisp lines. I am interested in why Natty dislikes Inkscape and will have a think about that myself. But certainly Paint is so easy ... just so bad!

Because Inkscape lacks any serious graphical effects and filters. It does have the ability to embed bitmaps and it does have some filters but they're very primitive (no adjustments of any kind) and you can't mask the bitmaps or do much anything to them except slap them on the image. You can't apply textures, you can't do any serious lighting or distortion effects, etc.

Inkscape is good for designing simple, stylistic graphics but it's not enough for serious graphical work. It's also useful for drawing the borders etc. of a map, then importing the paths to GIMP and using them there to draw the actual graphics. I like the freehand vector drawing tool of inkscape, it's great for doing land shapes and borders.

It is true that you can't upscale bitmap graphics. That however is just a feature of them, you are supposed to create the large image first anyway so that you won't have to upscale them.

Crazy Frog wrote:I wonder why they are all so much more complicated than Paintbrush...

That's like asking why a grand piano has more keys than a "My First Piano". It's because one is a serious tool meant for actual work, and the other is a toy, that can possibly be used to learn the basics but isn't good enough for any serious work.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Crazy Frog on Thu May 03, 2012 3:28 pm

That is good... real good...

Previous

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas