Conquer Club

[Rules/MED] Cheaters should be stripped of medals [Rejected]

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

[Rules/MED] Cheaters should be stripped of medals [Rejected]

Postby Symmetry on Wed May 02, 2012 8:46 pm

Players found guilty of cheating should be stripped of their medals

Mets` suggested phrasing: people who are busted for cheating should have all Game Achievement medals stripped.

Current Version: Medals gained through cheating either should or could be stripped.

Previous Version: The general opinion so far is that medal stripping should be a punishment, and the discussion currently concerns what category of cheating should be dealt with, and whether certain medals should be excepted.

My thoughts, as a whole, are that all medals regarding standard gameplay should be stripped, and that it should be reserved for cheaters who use multis to manipulate the system.
Last edited by Symmetry on Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Re: Cheaters should be stripped of their medals

Postby TheForgivenOne on Wed May 02, 2012 9:11 pm

I didn't know getting stripped of your premium is considered light... or getting website bans.
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby Symmetry on Wed May 02, 2012 9:39 pm

TheForgivenOne wrote:I didn't know getting stripped of your premium is considered light... or getting website bans.

Peruse the C&A forums, you'll see the argument made.

Anyway, medal stripping seems like a good secondary punishment.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Sniper08 on Wed May 02, 2012 9:54 pm

why do you care? you dont even play this game you just come here to talk crap in off-topics.

the current system is good enough as it is, being stripped of premium is the worst consequence of cheating and if they buy it back it benefits the site as lack gets more money.
Colonel Sniper08
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Symmetry on Wed May 02, 2012 10:07 pm

Sniper08 wrote:why do you care? you dont even play this game you just come here to talk crap in off-topics.

the current system is good enough as it is, being stripped of premium is the worst consequence of cheating and if they buy it back it benefits the site as lack gets more money.

Kind of a cynical take, perhaps I like the site for my own reasons, including that members can contribute ideas on how to make the place better.

Medals should be earned fairly, IMHO, and that means doing so without cheating.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Lindax on Wed May 02, 2012 10:32 pm

TheForgivenOne wrote:I didn't know getting stripped of your premium is considered light... or getting website bans.

I consider "getting stripped of premium" a light sentence, you can simply buy it back.

I think cheaters should lose their medals and their points, can't buy those back.

Cheaters really f*ck up this site, why should they simply be able to pay 25 bucks and continue where they left off? Hit them where it hurts!

Not too mention the fact that many honest players lose their points (and medal chances) to cheaters....

Lx
"Winning Solves Everything" - Graeko
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby TheForgivenOne on Thu May 03, 2012 12:53 am

Lindax wrote:

I consider "getting stripped of premium" a light sentence, you can simply buy it back.Lx

Depends who you ask. Maybe someone with spare money doesn't really care, but that teenager who had to ask his parent to use the Credit Card might not think the same, especially if they get busted a month or so after upgrading.
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby Symmetry on Thu May 03, 2012 11:33 am

TheForgivenOne wrote:
Lindax wrote:

I consider "getting stripped of premium" a light sentence, you can simply buy it back.Lx

Depends who you ask. Maybe someone with spare money doesn't really care, but that teenager who had to ask his parent to use the Credit Card might not think the same, especially if they get busted a month or so after upgrading.

Now that you know that people consider stripping premium membership as light, will you reconsider your opinion on the suggestion?
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Symmetry on Thu May 03, 2012 11:42 am

eddie2 wrote:
Chariot of Fire wrote:Someone in our clan forum made a poignant remark. He said "Make a whole load of multis, win a ton of points & medals through abuse of those multis, then when you get busted simply pay $25. Hey presto! You get to keep all the medals and points you nefariously earned"

do this 1 month before your premium runs out it costs you nothing because you were gonna renew anyway. :evil:

A link to one of the relevant topics.

Link
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Lindax on Thu May 03, 2012 1:05 pm

TheForgivenOne wrote:
Lindax wrote:

I didn't ask anybody, I gave my opinion.

Stripping Premium alone is seemingly not deterring users from creating multies.

Lx
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby IcePack on Thu May 03, 2012 2:53 pm

I agree, premium isn't enough.

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby TheForgivenOne on Thu May 03, 2012 10:50 pm

Symmetry wrote:
TheForgivenOne wrote:
Lindax wrote:

Now that you know that people consider stripping premium membership as light, will you reconsider your opinion on the suggestion?

I'll bring it up with the other hunters/C&A mods/king achilles.
Game 1675072
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby greenoaks on Fri May 04, 2012 12:11 am

Symmetry wrote:
Sniper08 wrote:why do you care? you dont even play this game you just come here to talk crap in off-topics.

Kind of a cynical take, perhaps I like the site for my own reasons, including that members can contribute ideas on how to make the place better.

Medals should be earned fairly, IMHO, and that means doing so without cheating.

i have an idea on how you can contribute to make this a better place

BUY PREMIUM
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby deathcomesrippin on Fri May 04, 2012 7:28 am

Is it only multis you are worried about? The OP was kind of vague. All sorts of cheating can occur: If you are talking about multis, then that's one thing, but if you are talking about farming, then that's totally different. What cheaters do you mean?
Sergeant deathcomesrippin

Postby Lindax on Fri May 04, 2012 9:43 am

deathcomesrippin wrote:Is it only multis you are worried about? The OP was kind of vague. All sorts of cheating can occur: If you are talking about multis, then that's one thing, but if you are talking about farming, then that's totally different. What cheaters do you mean?

Any cheating that gets the user points, medals, any advantage and results in a disadvantage for other users (points lost, etc.).

As for multis, the rule on the home page seems very clear to me, however, it's not enforced. Offending premium members are NOT banned, they can simply buy back premium:

Warning: Having multiple accounts is considered cheating. We routinely scan for multiple accounts and offending members will be banned from Conquer Club.

Lx
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby Symmetry on Fri May 04, 2012 7:49 pm

deathcomesrippin wrote:Is it only multis you are worried about? The OP was kind of vague. All sorts of cheating can occur: If you are talking about multis, then that's one thing, but if you are talking about farming, then that's totally different. What cheaters do you mean?

Fair point, I was primarily thinking about people who used multis when I made the post. This coming off the back of a few threads in the C&A forum where people who had been regularly cheating with multi accounts kept their medals.

However I do agree with Lindax's points above.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon May 07, 2012 11:58 pm

Stripping their medals is a great idea. It's worth implementing because this punishment would bolster the effectiveness of the current threat deterrent for cheating.

1) People place a lot of value and spend a lot of time earning those medals. If these highly valued possessions can be removed, then anyone who contemplates cheating would tend to factor in this greater cost, which for many players (I imagine) is valued more than a measly $25 or the other costs of the current punishments.

2) After being caught for cheating, the absence of medals serves as a mark of shame for the cheater and for others to see. (Recall ancient Greece (IIRC) and the practice of tattooing the faces of criminals).

3) Also, with every medal the ex-cheater earns, he is reminded of the consequences for cheating.

The threat deterrent is constant and more costly, thus more effective.
(I agree with Lindax on his criteria of cheating).

Many ConquerClubbers highly value fair play and justice, so why not implement this harsher punishment? It'll signal to the users that CC is serious about cheating and is concerned about promoting fair play for all users.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Neoteny on Tue May 08, 2012 12:32 pm

There should also be a public humiliation wherein the medals are ripped from the users uniform and cast to the ground, after which the user must undertake the disgraced walk of shame out of the venue.
Napoleon Ier wrote:You people need to grow up to be honest.
Major Neoteny

Postby blakebowling on Tue May 08, 2012 2:45 pm

IMO, anyone found cheating should be busted, and reset (both to 1000, no medals). They should be allowed a single option to buy-back (as most people don't actually think it's monitored), and if they offend again, then they should be permanently website banned.
Private blakebowling

Postby chapcrap on Tue May 08, 2012 7:49 pm

blakebowling wrote:IMO, anyone found cheating should be busted, and reset (both to 1000, no medals). They should be allowed a single option to buy-back (as most people don't actually think it's monitored), and if they offend again, then they should be permanently website banned.

Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby ljex on Tue May 08, 2012 8:08 pm

this is an awful suggestion...i got a guilty verdict of game throwing...should i have been stripped of all my medals for this?

as a side note, i never threw any games so this would only have compounded the annoyance of being found guilty of something i didnt do
Major ljex

Postby army of nobunaga on Tue May 08, 2012 8:19 pm

ljex wrote:this is an awful suggestion...i got a guilty verdict of game throwing...should i have been stripped of all my medals for this?

as a side note, i never threw any games so this would only have compounded the annoyance of being found guilty of something i didnt do

well you did game throw... and you are a fucking cheater...

medals gone? no.

This is a stupid asss idea and as ljex will tell you I hate cheaters.
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby Lindax on Tue May 08, 2012 8:22 pm

ljex wrote:this is an awful suggestion...i got a guilty verdict of game throwing...should i have been stripped of all my medals for this?

What's game throwing? Does that fall under my definition of cheating?:

Any cheating that gets the user points, medals, any advantage and results in a disadvantage for other users (points lost, etc.).

Anyway: We could make a distinction in the medals if you like: You cheat in team games, you lose your team medals, you cheat in a tournament, you lose your tournament medals, etc. On the other hand, if you cheat in one type of game, you probably doing it in other games as well....

Lx

PS: Don't they all say they're innocent? :P
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby betiko on Tue May 08, 2012 8:44 pm

i think that the actual system is ok. but I would do 1 offense = premium stripped+points reset; second offense = permaban (for something as bad as multi accounts)
medal resetting would just make you leave the site forever, and i think everyone deserves a second chance.

funny though that this is brought up by someone who didn't get any medal in 5 years, a freemium and just gets on the site for off topics, not to play risk so really wonder how to call it other than trolling
Major betiko

Postby Foxglove on Tue May 08, 2012 9:34 pm

Lindax wrote:PS: Don't they all say they're innocent? :P

I know I will, if I'm ever accused of cheating. ;)
Brigadier Foxglove

Next

Return to Archived Suggestions