Conquer Club

Magyarország [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Magyarország [30/4] V8 PG 1/3 Text options Pg 4

Postby koontz1973 on Fri May 04, 2012 1:30 am

Been thinking about the consolidated bonuses for a while and Sully prompted me to post.
Lots has changed (to much to post and remember).
Hope you like them.
The text that I liked (Fejer) did not work well in the small map version so have gone with this one.
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Magyarország [4/5] V9 PG 1/4

Postby Jatekos on Fri May 04, 2012 6:09 pm

Well done so far.

A few more minor suggestions:
- We refer to the regions of Hungary as Dunántúl, Duna-Tisza köze, Tiszántúl. "Hungary" is not part of these region names, it is not necessary to indicate it as e.g. "Dunántúl Hungary" on the legend. Especially that now only Hungary and 2 regions of Poland have green background. If you still think that there is a need for the word "Hungary" on this part of the legend, then you could update the title from Safe Land Bonus to Safe Land Bonus in Hungary, or something similar.
- On a related note, I think it would make sense if Poland had a different colour, other than green.
- I could be mistaken, but I think that if you refer to more than one bonus on the legend, then you would need the plural form (bonuses). If you implement my first suggestion above then you will have more space for the longer names.
- One of the Hungarian regions is not a county like the rest, but a city: I would suggest to replace Debrecen with another name.
Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg and Hajdú-Bihar more or less lay on the indicated area (you could shorten the first, if needed).
http://www.mfa.gov.ua/hungary/hun/2458.htm
Major Jatekos

Postby Industrial Helix on Fri May 04, 2012 6:13 pm

I'm liking this map, but I have one teeny suggestion: In the story where it says Hungarian nation, you should say Kingdom of Hungary as it was the political state of the Kingdom of Hungary ( the state) which was partitioned whereas the people (the nation) remained unbroken up, though those living in the conquered areas of the Kingdom likely had to return to the new state of Hungary.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby koontz1973 on Fri May 04, 2012 11:30 pm

Jatekos, changed names but am gong to keep the Hungary in the legend. This should make it easier for the players from outside the borders to see where we are. :roll: Changed Poland to a blue, but also tweaked the other colours as they where not colour blind friendly. Better to get it done know than later. ;)

Industrial Helix, glad to see you around, and very happy you like it. :D Kingdom of Hungary is in story now. :-s Added the displacement figure of over 3 million as it was 3.3 million. Out of those 3.3 million, only around 350 thousand returned. The rest stayed as it was there home. Some displaced parts returned to Hungary after votes (Sopron), while others went through forced nationalism (Czechoslovakia/Romania).
V9.1
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Jatekos on Sun May 06, 2012 7:08 am

koontz1973 wrote:Jatekos, changed names but am gong to keep the Hungary in the legend. This should make it easier for the players from outside the borders to see where we are. :roll:

Thanks Koontz for updating Debrecen.

Regarding the other name changes I am not sure if I was clear enough. I do not want to delete all references of "Hungary" from the legend. I was only suggesting to refer to Tiszántúl, Dunántúl and Duna-Tisza köze instead of Tiszántúl Hungary, Dunántúl Hungary and Duna-Tisza köze Hungary, as their location is pretty self-explanatory from the legend anyway, because Hungary is the only green country now. I do not think that only native Hungarians could identify the location of e.g. "Tiszántúl" if they spent 2 seconds looking at the legend.

Also, Dunántúl, Duna-Tisza köze and Tiszántúl literally mean the area West of the Danube, the area between the Danube and the Tisza and the East of Tisza, respectively. I understand that you want to make it clear that these 3 zones belong to Hungary, but creating zone names that are half Hungarian - half English is quite strange. Are you sure that the colouring is not enough? How about adding "Hungary" to the title of this part of the legend e.g. "Saved Land Bonus (Hungary)" or "Saved Land Bonus in Hungary", if necessary?
Major Jatekos

Re: Magyarország [5/5] V9.1 PG 1/4

Postby koontz1973 on Sun May 06, 2012 8:02 am

Will have a chat with one of the game play mods about this one. I want it in to make it clear what it is. I know it is a tad redundant and if they say it can come out, out it will come.

How are the other two names you picked up on (Gyor and Veroce)?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Jatekos on Sun May 06, 2012 10:29 am

Győr and Verőce are fine now.
Major Jatekos

Postby koontz1973 on Sun May 06, 2012 10:54 am

Superb. Onwards and upwards from now on then.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby koontz1973 on Mon May 07, 2012 6:15 am

Click image to enlarge.

Sorted out the bonuses.
Adjusted colours for Colour blindness.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Magyarország [7/5] V9.2 PG 1/4

Postby isaiah40 on Mon May 07, 2012 9:48 am

I think this is ready to be moved!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby koontz1973 on Mon May 07, 2012 9:54 am

By golly isaiah, that just made my day.Image
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon May 07, 2012 9:55 am

I'll take a look at this map closer in a few days probably. But the first (and random) thought that came to my mind that going realistic for mountains and forests may not be the way to go for this map. Stylized icons may just look better in the long run.

Best,

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby koontz1973 on Mon May 07, 2012 10:07 am

OK, lets look at the gameplay side of things.

Bonuses-how do the numbers stack up?
    The bonus that multiplies is the figure for the large part of Hungary and the bonus for the Shattered country. This means that the bonus does not really do anything if you hold the largest part of Hungary but the smallest part gives you an extra 3. This sounds about right to me as I did not want the bonus to mean that the game is over when one player grabs it.
    Legend-Hows my spelling this time around. ;)
    The legend seems pretty clear to me and not overly complicated. Jatekos did point out that having Hungary 3 times in the Saved land bonus part seems a tad redundant and I agree with him. But did not want player to miss understand that part is Hungary. Is it OK to take it out? and if so, how to replace it in that part of the legend?
    Impassables-Take any out or even add some more.
    Quite happy to do either but they are pretty correct now for the region, may of exaggerated the height of the mountains a tad but so what. :P
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby isaiah40 on Mon May 07, 2012 10:07 am

AndyDufresne wrote:But the first (and random) thought that came to my mind that going realistic for mountains and forests may not be the way to go for this map. Stylized icons may just look better in the long run.

Best,

--Andy

The trees seem to be okay, but those mountains seem to be floating above the map.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby koontz1973 on Mon May 07, 2012 11:59 am

Sorry Andy, missed your post, can you point me towards anything you might like to see.

As for he floating mountain problem, I always seem to have this (since the first map that is), any ideas on how to fix it anyone?

But here is a test copy to see how you lot like it. :D
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon May 07, 2012 1:06 pm

koontz1973 wrote:Sorry Andy, missed your post, can you point me towards anything you might like to see.

As for he floating mountain problem, I always seem to have this (since the first map that is), any ideas on how to fix it anyone?

But here is a test copy to see how you lot like it. :D

I am not sure I have anything to point you towards, I'll snoop around.

As for the floating mountain, no idea how to alleviate such a thing, other than icons sometimes suffer from that less.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Re: Magyarország [8/5] V9.3 PG 1/5

Postby koontz1973 on Tue May 08, 2012 6:34 am

Going with the new version/texture on the map itself.

floating mountains gone. :D I hope. :|
A few other clean ups along the way.
Legend text alignment.
Click image to enlarge.

To do list:
Country names in legend need to go to the same colour as country.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Jatekos on Wed May 09, 2012 3:12 pm

I like the names of the 3 zones of Hungary much better now. :)

koontz1973 wrote:Country names in legend need to go to the same colour as country.

-Will you also add the texture to the coloured zones of the legend? I think that their colour would better match with the main map then.

- Now that you changed the background colour of the text boxes of the legend, the white solder and cannon shapes became more apparent and they look a bit odd. I see the dark ornaments in the background as well these white shapes. The dark ornamental shapes go well with the tone and names while the white shapes make these boxes too crowded and the white colour does not seem to fit there either.

I think you could try to play with the placement of these shapes or may even remove them from the legend, or try to add them somewhere on the main map. Changing their colour and their placement may also help. At least, the soldier on the left-hand side of the Shattered land bonus box and all 3 white shapes of the box that contain the impassables should be removed in my opinion.

- One more thing: The bands of the Hungarian flag are too straight. How about adding a waving flag effect?
Major Jatekos

Postby Jatekos on Wed May 09, 2012 3:32 pm

- Also, would it be possible to update the shape of Lake Balaton to be more relalistic? It has a unique and emblematic shape that many people (foreigners also) can quickly recognize, and the shape of the lake on the map is not really like that.
http://maps.google.hu/maps?hl=hu&client ... CD0Q8gEwAA
Major Jatekos

Postby koontz1973 on Wed May 09, 2012 10:38 pm

Jatekos wrote:I like the names of the 3 zones of Hungary much better now. :)

-Will you also add the texture to the coloured zones of the legend? I think that their colour would better match with the main map then.

Yes, added already for next update.

- Now that you changed the background colour of the text boxes of the legend, the white solder and cannon shapes became more apparent and they look a bit odd. I see the dark ornaments in the background as well these white shapes. The dark ornamental shapes go well with the tone and names while the white shapes make these boxes too crowded and the white colour does not seem to fit there either.

Legend boxes are back to original shading. I wanted to try the dark but in the end did not like it.

I think you could try to play with the placement of these shapes or may even remove them from the legend, or try to add them somewhere on the main map. Changing their colour and their placement may also help. At least, the soldier on the left-hand side of the Shattered land bonus box and all 3 white shapes of the box that contain the impassables should be removed in my opinion.

The shapes have stayed in (for now). They are less noticeable in the lighter box. The map is very clean so putting them onto the map will clutter it.

- One more thing: The bands of the Hungarian flag are too straight. How about adding a waving flag effect?

Not sure about this. I will have a play with the flag to see how it looks.

- Also, would it be possible to update the shape of Lake Balaton to be more relalistic? It has a unique and emblematic shape that many people (foreigners also) can quickly recognize, and the shape of the lake on the map is not really like that.
http://maps.google.hu/maps?hl=hu&client ... CD0Q8gEwAA

It is pretty damn close but will chop of the knobbly bits. If you go back to the earlier drafts, it was more in keeping with the lake, but it did not sit well on the map. Again, will have a play with it. Will post an update later today or tomorrow.

Anything on the bonus numbers? To high/low?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Flapcake on Thu May 10, 2012 4:24 am

Koontz, I know your concentrate on gameplay for now, but I have a suggestion for the "floating mountains" issue, and its only from my personal expirence how I solve the "floating" thingy, I think why it get to look so "floating" is the sharp line at the fod of the mountain, if you try to erease that and then kind of merge/smurge the territory color and the mountain together, the effect of beeing integraeted gets more real.

Only a suggestion. ohterwise, what can i say, whers the beta stamp ? 8-)
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Postby koontz1973 on Thu May 10, 2012 7:35 am

Tweaked mountains.
Legend textures and colours now match countries.
Lighter legend and lighter men in legend.
Flag tweaked. Played with suggestion and did not look right for the map. Having it straight across the top as a banner distorts the map enough.
Balaton corrected. Any more changes and it wil not be seen in the small. Stays as it.
Tweaked the Budapest icon so it is not confused with Nograd (attack).
Bridges changed and made lighter. Did not see well in the CB tests.
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Magyarország [11/5] V9.5 PG 1/5

Postby koontz1973 on Fri May 11, 2012 1:12 am

Just a quick update to the flag.
Moved Romania up a couple of pixels in the legend so it fits onto the card backing.
Version 9.5
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Oneyed on Fri May 11, 2012 1:01 pm

your story is still bullshit. the sample how much Hungarians look at the right to independence of another nations.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby koontz1973 on Fri May 11, 2012 1:16 pm

Oneyed wrote:your story is still bullshit. the sample how much Hungarians look at the right to independence of another nations.

Oneyed

Oneyed, what are you talking about?
Lieutenant koontz1973

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas