Conquer Club

CC Dispatch [Issue 70: 26-04-12] Community Bananager

All issues of the newsletter.

Moderator: Community Team

CC Dispatch [Issue 70: 26-04-12] Community Bananager

Postby Victor Sullivan on Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:53 pm

Welcome Comrades to the 70th edition of the Dispatch :)

Conquer Club seems to have hit some turbulence - particularly in the Foundry! Long time Cartographer, Industrial Helix recently stepped down and two Foundry Assistants, nolefan5311 (replacing TaCktiX as a gameplay Foundry mod) and our very own Foundry Reporter, koontz1973 (replacing Industrial Helix as drafts Foundry mod) have stepped up to help out! Kudos and good luck to the newbies! Perhaps we'll see them in blue soon? Only time will tell! In addition, the Map Foundry Gallery was introduced at thenobodies80's site, http://www.wcforums.org. Take a look around and rate your favorite (and/or least favorite) maps! But I think it goes without saying that the biggest news in the Foundry is the news that's spread into General Discussion regarding a debacle with long time Foundry contributor and mapmaker, natty dread, who recently went on strike from the Foundry after the administrators informed him that a map similar to his new map, World XL, was being made behind the scenes, and likely to be finished before his would be. But is this the full story? Is natty's bitterness as expressed in his recent General Discussion topic, Did you know..., and elsewhere due to this recent event, or the long-felt neglect and oppression of the "second-class" mapmakers, or is it something else? Perhaps we'll find out in next issue's edition of the CC Dispatch when none other than natty dread answers your questions! Head on over to the interrogation thread here and ask your questions for natty!

In other news, Viceroy63 has for us the rundown on what Trench Warfare is like and the strategies that go with it. Now that the setting has settled in a bit, what do you think of it? Let us know by posting in the issue thread! Oh, and don't forget to get that bronze Trench Warfare medal by May 1st to get a spot in the lottery for that Conquer Cup III entry!

Now it's time for the Subscriber of the Issue! It seems to me we've got two to make up for the last issue! Our winners are (drum roll, please)...............orangenitrox (for Issue #69) and silverking8 (for Issue #70)! Just PM me your favorite quote from Andy's interview and the medal is yours!

Oh, yes, did I forget to mention we have an interrogation of our very own Community Manager, AndyDufresne? Take a look-see! Also, our Newsletter Team could use a little beefing up! We give medals out every three months to our solid contributors, so consider joining the team today! You can PM me or the Executive of the team you want to be on :) Lots of great stuff all around this issue - go explore!

Enjoy the fruits of our laboring fingers!

Victor Sullivan
Chief Executive

If you would like to apply to join the news team, please visit the thread below for more details! :)

Click here for Recruitment Details...

The Clan Team is looking for a Clan Reporter to join the Clan News Team! PM Clan Executive Leehar if you're interested:

Our Section is also interested in resurrecting the Clan Spotlight feature, so if you're already an active Participant in the Active Challenges Sub-Forum, how about taking the opportunity to get a medal for reporting on the different Clan Wars in Progress?
Even if you're The War Organizer or a fond patriot of your clan and are already spending the time keeping track of your personal War Progress, spend a few minutes to write a few words and share the exciting events with the rest of the Clan World with your own column in the Dispatch :D

Leehar
Clan Executive

The Strategy Team is also looking rather sparse! PM Strategy Executive Viceroy63 if you would like to report on the SoC Training Grounds, the Strategy forum, or just game strategies in general as a Strategy Reporter!

Do You enjoy learning about strategies and game play?
Do you enjoy sharing and teaching what you know with others?
Then why not join the Strategy Section of the Newsletter. Here your words count.

The Strategy Section is always looking for those few individuals willing to teach others by writing articles about well, strategy. So if you know how to play well and want to show the rest of us how it's done? Then become a Strategy Reporter today.

Viceroy63
Strategy Executive

Welcome back to the Freestyle Section readers. We have another Scum Insider, and our very own AndyDufresne talks about stuffy noses, bananas, and awkward humor.

You Stay Classy, CC.

safariguy5
Freestyle Executive

The Scum Insider by safariguy5
show

show: Interrogation of AndyDufresne

Issue 70 of the Strategy Section of the news letter can be considered the Trench Warfare issue of this Section. It was just two week ago that the "Trench" setting has become a reality on Conquer Club, and so while the iron is still hot, we strike.

In CC in History, we take a closer look at the sneaky, psychological and consistent mechanics of trench warfare and what we can learn from that for our own use in other games as well. It's also a very interesting history lesson. Don't miss CC in History #3, Trench Warfare by Crazy Milkshake5.

I have also been putting some thoughts to the Strategy's required and obsolete to this new setting and have committed those thoughts to writing. I may be wrong but I believe that I am the first to coin the phrase, "Slow, Gradual, Expansionism." While it has just recently been brought to my attention by one of the proponents of TW, that there are many strategies (depending on the settings) mines is an accurate one as well. Read about my ideas in, "Trench Warfare, A New Way of Thinking." By me, Viceroy63.

And of course the updated list to the SoC Academy Basic Training Games for the dates of April 1st. to the 15th. is out. Be sure to see Whom's name are there. Be there or be squared! And congratulations to all of our students for being winners.

CC in History #3 by crazymilkshake5
show

Trench Warfare, A New Way of Thinking. by Viceroy63
show

Current SoC Training Fields Winners List By Viceroy63
show

Hello again my friends, and welcome to your favorite part of the Newsletter, "War Games", where you can find information about CC Tournaments!

In this issue, DaveH brings us another installment of his Tournament Tips, WorldCup4James interviews dtellis, and I have written Join This? Or Not! to cover for that absent-minded scallywag NoSurvivors. Meanwhile, Fuzzy316 has been putting in some overtime at work, but in lieu of an article he leaves us with a chuckle:
show: fuzzys joke

Happy conquering, everyone!

Dukasaur
Tournament Executive

Tournament Tips by DaveH
show: Inviting Teams

Meet the Tournament Winners: dtellis by WorldCup4James
show

Join This? Or Not! by Dukasaur
show

Hello folks. Don't listen to anyone else, this is the reason you read the newsletter! Lots happening in the foundry at the moment and our diligent and beloved koontz1973 brings us the News and What's Where. And congrats koontz1973 for stepping up as a Foundry Assistant in the Drafting Room. You've hit CC like a storm! Flapcake interviews Oneyed and I write about the "Oh" in Hippo (we'll I'd know wouldn't I!!) And for all you literary buffs, this by Lord John E. E. Dalberg-Acton:
For every complex problem, there is a simple solution. . . and it is wrong.

thehippo8
Foundry Executive

Foundry News koontz1973
show

What's where in the foundry koontz1973
show

Interview - Oneyed. 3 in a row. by Flapcake
show

The “Oh” in Hippo – Verisimilitude and getting real by thehippo8
show

The Dispatch is glad to announce the success of it's callout for CC3 Bracket Predictions as we achieved over 120 predictions. IcePack breaks them down for us to see the stats on the major predictions for the top 8 onward. Check them out to see if you were one of those with personal Clan Bias or really did have an Objective Viewpoint, at http://challonge.com/concup3/predictions ;)

First up however is an exciting Feature as alt1978 takes time from his CD duties to document the Rise and Fall of the Elite Thota!
It seems that Tofu are looking to emulate their ascent by collecting an All-Star Line-up themselves. If you haven't been demolished by at least someone in their Roster just yet, you really haven't been playing CC long! :lol:

We also take a quick look at the Draw for the CL4 Divisional Cups, Sign-ups for the ICL and the submissions of the aforementioned CC3 Bracket Predictions!

Our Section is also interested in resurrecting the Clan Spotlight feature, so if you're already an active Participant in the Active Challenges Sub-Forum, how about taking the opportunity to get a medal for reporting on the different Clan Wars in Progress?
Even if you're The War Organizer or a fond patriot of your clan and are already spending the time keeping track of your personal War Progress, spend a few minutes to write a few words and share the exciting events with the rest of the Clan World with your own column in the Dispatch :D

Leehar
Clan Executive

THOTA Retire! by Alt1978 (PR)
show

Clan League Divisional Cups by WPBRJ (DYN)
show

International Clan League by MNDuke (FOED)
show

CC3 Bracket Predictions by IcePack (KoA)
show

Stay Tuned for the next issue of the ConquerClub Dispatch for an interrogation of natty dread. Post any questions you may have for them here --> Interrogation with natty dread

Submitting Your Own Articles

If you have a story you think the ConquerClub Community would find interesting, you can submit your articles to Victor Sullivan and you may just see your article published in the Newsletter!

Subscription

Did you enjoy this Issue? Have you subscribed to the Newsletter yet?

If you want each and every issue of the ConquerClub Dispatch delivered right into your Inbox, then Subscribe Here!

ConquerClub Dispatch Team

Corporal Victor Sullivan

Re: CC Dispatch [Issue 70: 26-04-12] Community Bananager

Postby Leehar on Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:21 pm

Congrats Silverking!

And FYI, I still vehemently disagree with your single stack solution for Trench Warfare Vice ;)
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby chapcrap on Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:19 pm

DaveH, nice job on the tournament tips. I love Excel and I love tournaments and I may be falling in love with you too... :-$

Really though, great advice for Excel users running tournaments. I will definitely use some of that for my tournaments. One thing I so as well, it to have one worksheet be a player list and another worksheet use the first to populate given cells withe players. It's especially handy for me in my terminator robin tournaments that are setup up in a windmill style of tournament.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby squishyg on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:20 pm

Nice answers Andy! I imagine you'll always be a bit of an enigma, but I feel like I know you just a teensy bit better now.
There is no fog rule and I am no gentleman.
Robinette wrote:
Kaskavel wrote:Seriously. Who is the female conqueror of CC?

Depends on what metric you use...
The coolest is squishyg
Captain squishyg

Postby reptile on Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:26 am

Shout out to THOTA =D> =D> =D>

I almost shed a tear for you guys. :cry:

You deserve all the credit you get!
Major reptile

Postby General Roy on Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:47 pm

Leehar wrote:Congrats Silverking!

And FYI, I still vehemently disagree with your single stack solution for Trench Warfare Vice ;)

Seems to me that strong stacks placed in strategic positions can be decisive. Although I still am strugling to work out the best strategy on the Classic map, otherwise my best map. So I think I to some extent aghree with you there, Leehar.

The Old General
(who I guess is too old to learn new strategy :) )
Atom1: I've lost my electrons! Atom2: Are you sure? Atom1: Yes I'm positive
TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN, YET THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE, SO ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.
Sergeant 1st Class General Roy

Postby Leehar on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:56 pm

General Roy wrote:

Seems to me that strong stacks placed in strategic positions can be decisive. Although I still am strugling to work out the best strategy on the Classic map, otherwise my best map. So I think I to some extent aghree with you there, Leehar.

The Old General

Exactly, since being stuck with 1 stack in 1 place, will essentially limit your mobility so much more. If you can only take 1 terr. at a time, how the hell are you going to traverse the whole map to get a kill etc?
I suppose we should continue this discussion in the dedicated topic tho
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby General Brock II on Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:26 pm

I just wanted to say that was a great interview, Andy! =D>

We shall fight in France. We shall fight on the seas and oceans. We shall fight, with growing confidence and strength in the air. ~ Winston Churchill
Captain General Brock II

Postby Agent 86 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:48 pm

General Roy wrote:

The Old General

Well your too busy too learn anything else, ex leader of a clan..and we don't want you back!!

We are the Fallen, an unstoppable wave of Darkness.
Major Agent 86

Postby Crazyirishman on Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:07 pm

The title of this thread made me realize that you can't spell banana without BAN, I read it as community BANager the first time around.
Captain Crazyirishman

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:48 pm

Crazyirishman wrote:The title of this thread made me realize that you can't spell banana without BAN, I read it as community BANager the first time around.

Lol, that's what I thought, too! :oops:
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby natty dread on Tue May 08, 2012 3:40 am

I read it as "Community Bandager", as in the guy who keeps slapping bandages on this broken, maimed community in order to keep it within some semblance of functionality...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue May 08, 2012 10:14 am

natty dread wrote:I read it as "Community Bandager", as in the guy who keeps slapping bandages on this broken, maimed community in order to keep it within some semblance of functionality...

Hackstability for the win?

[Article] Can 'Hackstability' Save Civilization?

(Full text of 'Hackstability')

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby grifftron on Tue May 08, 2012 11:44 pm

That was a nice section you guys did for THOTA.. great job.
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Bruceswar on Tue May 08, 2012 11:58 pm

THOTA surely set the bar high for all of us to follow. It will be interesting to see if anybody can even get close to the THOTA level of dominance.

The ICL article is pretty funny if you ask me.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Return to Newsletter Issues