Conquer Club

[GP/UI] In Game PM Teammates Button

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

[GP/UI] In Game PM Teammates Button

Postby CJ Lues on Sat May 19, 2012 4:47 am

Concise description:
  • Have a button in the game - maybe above the list of players - where you can click on and it automatically opens up a New Message with the game number in it and have the team mates names added to the recipients

Specifics/Details:
  • A button like the ones [refresh map] [map size] etc. have a button that says [PM team mates]
  • If you click the link you automatically have a PM open with your team mates from that game's names in the recipients and a link to the game (almost like if you click the PM button on a Players profile in the form)
  • You can even have one in non team games, it could say [PM all players]

How this will benefit the site:
  • This will benefit the site for easy communication (which is critical in team games), if you have 20+ games active you sometimes miss that your team mates are asking you a question in the Game Chat (Chat Glove does help a bit). The thing is not everyone has CG and sometimes it is urgent, you only have 2-3 hours left and can't rely on your team mates checking the Game Chat. So what do you do? you send them a PM of course, now this will make it easier than creating the PM manually copying the names (and sometimes you don't have the team mates added as friends) and adding the game number.
Example of the Auto PM:
Click image to enlarge.

-CJ-
Sergeant CJ Lues

Location: I love a good plan, and i just love it when a plan comes together!

Re: Send PM to all Teammates/Players

Postby Jippd on Sat May 19, 2012 4:50 am

Exists already: viewtopic.php?f=527&t=159621

Not site implemented, but an available add-on
Major Jippd

Postby CJ Lues on Sat May 19, 2012 6:33 am

Jippd wrote:Exists already: viewtopic.php?f=527&t=159621

I downloaded the add-on but if i click on the "PM Teammates" nothing happens... :-s

I think it would be nice if it is site implemented (for the guys that don't run Firefox), but guess it's just me that think like this though...

-CJ-
Sergeant CJ Lues

Postby Ickyketseddie on Sat May 19, 2012 10:59 am

CJ Lues wrote:

I downloaded the add-on but if i click on the "PM Teammates" nothing happens... :-s

I think it would be nice if it is site implemented (for the guys that don't run Firefox), but guess it's just me that think like this though...

-CJ-

I had a problem with the add on while using the watch game add on? Try that mate.
Captain Ickyketseddie

Postby Jippd on Sat May 19, 2012 3:41 pm

CJ Lues wrote:

-CJ-

Yes it would be nice, but in the mean time it is something to get you by. What other add ons are you running? And you have firefox as your browser with greasemonkey installed with the latest editions for everything right?
Major Jippd

Postby agentcom on Sat May 19, 2012 9:27 pm

I don't agree that the fact something is available as a FF plug-in has any effect on whether a suggestion should be implemented. Even if that suggestion is the exact same thing. The functionality of a website should be self-contained to the greatest extent possible.

You also missed a benefit of this, I think. Having it integrated into the site would tip new users off to the benefits of communication. Sure there's a wall, but virtually all good team players communicate either outside the Chat Log or use a tool that brings the Chat Log outside the game. I would love this little nudge to new players that communication is such an important part of team games.
Colonel agentcom

Postby darth emperor on Sun May 20, 2012 9:26 am

agentcom wrote:I don't agree that the fact something is available as a FF plug-in has any effect on whether a suggestion should be implemented. Even if that suggestion is the exact same thing. The functionality of a website should be self-contained to the greatest extent possible.

I think that they are reffering to the add-on to say that is possible and easy (just integrate the code to the site), like when there was a share-spoil addon and in less than a month it become part of the site... but meantime we can use this useful (but not very known yet) addon
Sergeant 1st Class darth emperor

Postby CJ Lues on Sun May 20, 2012 9:53 am

I have the latest version of Firefox and Greasemonkey but not "watch game add on"...

agentcom wrote:I don't agree that the fact something is available as a FF plug-in has any effect on whether a suggestion should be implemented. Even if that suggestion is the exact same thing. The functionality of a website should be self-contained to the greatest extent possible.

You also missed a benefit of this, I think. Having it integrated into the site would tip new users off to the benefits of communication. Sure there's a wall, but virtually all good team players communicate either outside the Chat Log or use a tool that brings the Chat Log outside the game. I would love this little nudge to new players that communication is such an important part of team games.

Thanx for the support Agentcom, you're right, that's another benefit! :)

darth emperor wrote:

I think that they are reffering to the add-on to say that is possible and easy (just integrate the code to the site), like when there was a share-spoil addon and in less than a month it become part of the site... but meantime we can use this useful (but not very known yet) addon

I have nothing against add-ons but like Agentcom said, we should have the website self-contained to the greatest extent possible.

Not sure why i can't get the add-on to work for me though...
Sergeant CJ Lues

Postby darth emperor on Sun May 20, 2012 12:03 pm

CJ Lues wrote:
darth emperor wrote:

I have nothing against add-ons but like Agentcom said, we should have the website self-contained to the greatest extent possible.

Not sure why i can't get the add-on to work for me though...

I haven't said that I'm against this suggestion, I fully agree with this. What I'm saying is that having the add-on shows its possible and can help to implement to the site faster than without an add-on (if it wasn't for the add-on of share spoils, we would still have to wait before they decided to put it in the site, and now is available)
Sergeant 1st Class darth emperor

Postby macbone on Sun May 20, 2012 12:46 pm

CJ, your reasoning is sound, man, but a real massage beats the pants off of a virtual massage any day.

It doesn't work with the https version of CC. Are you using the http version?
Colonel macbone

Postby CJ Lues on Sun May 20, 2012 1:57 pm

macbone wrote:CJ, your reasoning is sound, man, but a real massage beats the pants off of a virtual massage any day.

It doesn't work with the https version of CC. Are you using the http version?

Thanx mate, I don't think I'm using the http version, it doesn't say http in the URL...
Sergeant CJ Lues

Postby Jippd on Mon May 21, 2012 11:48 pm

CJ Lues wrote:Not sure why i can't get the add-on to work for me though...

I would try posting in the thread asking for help getting the add on to work. Techies usually check that forum more often and may be able to help you. Post your browser, operating system, version of Firefox, version of greasemonkey, and the version of Team PM that you are using and they can usually help you.
Major Jippd

Postby CJ Lues on Tue May 22, 2012 12:02 am

Thanx mate, I'll do that ;)

-CJ-
Sergeant CJ Lues

Postby agentcom on Wed May 23, 2012 2:24 pm

darth emperor wrote:I haven't said that I'm against this suggestion, I fully agree with this. What I'm saying is that having the add-on shows its possible and can help to implement to the site faster than without an add-on (if it wasn't for the add-on of share spoils, we would still have to wait before they decided to put it in the site, and now is available)

I gotcha DE. The Tools/Add-ons techs are a great way to kind of beta test certain technical ideas for the site. I agree. I didn't know that had an effect on how quickly the teammate spoils issue was resolved. That was awesome.

One downside is that PM usage would go up. This increases resource usage. I can only assume from the relatively low amount of allowed messages (75!) that CC doesn't really like users using PMs. I think that number may have to go up. I get by with it even though I use PM Team Add-on, but I judiciously go back and delete old messages.
Colonel agentcom

Postby chapcrap on Wed May 23, 2012 3:47 pm

agentcom wrote:I can only assume from the relatively low amount of allowed messages (75!) that CC doesn't really like users using PMs.

Just to clarify, that is 75 messages per folder. You can make additional folders.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby agentcom on Thu May 24, 2012 12:44 am

chapcrap wrote:
agentcom wrote:I can only assume from the relatively low amount of allowed messages (75!) that CC doesn't really like users using PMs.

Just to clarify, that is 75 messages per folder. You can make additional folders.

Yes, I know. I was trying to keep that post to a single sentence. You can make 3 additional folders. But you still have to actively manage your inbox or set up rules for your grand total of 4 folders.

I just thought of something: Make folders easier to navigate to; Auto-setup a fifth folder called Game PMs or something; Make it obvious for new users; Dump all Game PMs there unless a user changes the settings (or don't allow this change).
Colonel agentcom

Postby CJ Lues on Thu May 24, 2012 3:37 am

agentcom wrote:
chapcrap wrote:

Yes, I know. I was trying to keep that post to a single sentence. You can make 3 additional folders. But you still have to actively manage your inbox or set up rules for your grand total of 4 folders.

I just thought of something: Make folders easier to navigate to; Auto-setup a fifth folder called Game PMs or something; Make it obvious for new users; Dump all Game PMs there unless a user changes the settings (or don't allow this change).

You beat me here agentcom, i was going to sagest just making another folder (by the site obviously), all game PMs goes to the "Game PM" folder :ugeek:

-CJ-
Sergeant CJ Lues

Postby CJ Lues on Fri May 25, 2012 10:30 am

How do you get a Tech to shed some light on this?

-CJ-
Sergeant CJ Lues

Postby agentcom on Fri May 25, 2012 10:42 am

They tend to wander by here. But if you wanted, you could contact ThrushAAX who manages the PM Teammates tool (viewtopic.php?f=527&t=159621&start=45)

Also, SirSebstar at least watches the Powers of the Inbox thread (viewtopic.php?f=57&t=48225) cuz he fixed the first post when I pointed out a mistake.
Colonel agentcom

Add Button In Team Games To Send PM To Teammates

Postby Le HotSauce on Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:03 pm

Concise description:
Add an in-game button to alert teammates via PM that there is new in-game chat to check.

Specifics/Details:
Quite often in team games, I find myself adding questions or notes on strategy to the in-game team chat. However, I am then required to go out of the game and PM my teammates with the game number asking them to check the game chat. I suspect I am not the only person who goes through this series of actions.

It would be beneficial to stay in-game and just click a button, such as "Alert Teammates" or something, to notify them via PM which game to check on. Then I would not be flipping in and out of games just to send PM's about those games.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
I suspect many others follow this same series of steps when playing in team games. I also suspect those people would appreciate the added efficiency of the ability to stay in-game while notifying teammates.
Cadet Le HotSauce

Re: Add Button In Team Games To Send PM To Teammates

Postby kuma32478 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:16 pm

There is a greasemonkey script for this
Private 1st Class kuma32478

Postby blakebowling on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:41 pm

kuma32478 wrote:There is a greasemonkey script for this

This is correct.

Also, I don't believe there is enough support for this feature to push it through the suggestions process (the lack of posts on this thread is evidence in my favor). I'll go ahead and archive this, but feel free to bring it back out if it garners more support.
Private blakebowling

Postby chapcrap on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:06 pm

I support this a lot. Less scripts and more incorporated into the site. I don't know why any team player would not want this.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby agentcom on Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:46 pm

There is a reason that I use the PM Teammates plug-in. As with many things, I wish this was coded into the site.
Colonel agentcom

Postby chapcrap on Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:54 pm

MOVED out of Archives.

I too support this. It would make everyone happy, I believe.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Next

Return to Suggestions