Conquer Club

[GO] Fog Confirmation Round

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Round 1 Ready Button (For Fog Games)

Postby ViperOverLord on Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:07 pm

QoH wrote:I would agree entirely... But some sort of notification would be needed to tell the player, since I normally only look at team games and the ones where I'm able to take a turn. I would probably miss it in the queue...

Every player would have to hit the round 1 ready button (24 hour max) before a game would begin. There would be no need for notifications. It's the same game style with the exception of the 'view' ensured for all players. 24 hours is your notification allotment basically. After that it'd be just like any other missed turn.
High Score: #76 3053
Captain ViperOverLord

Postby phantomzero on Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:52 pm

Great suggestion. Makes fog games fair. With this suggestion it doesn't put the play who is going second even further behind.
Sergeant 1st Class phantomzero

Postby ViperOverLord on Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:04 am

phantomzero wrote:Great suggestion. Makes fog games fair. With this suggestion it doesn't put the play who is going second even further behind.

Yea, except I would change it to a 'Round 0 Ready Button.' Since it is not really a round and that way it would keep any outside analysis of sunny vs. foggy round measures on par.
Captain ViperOverLord

Postby rdsrds2120 on Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:45 pm

Hmm...this sure would cease disputes.

-rd
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby SirSebstar on Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:19 am

on the other hand, how can this affect freestyle games and will this not just cause more delay when players deadbeat?
Also, this setting shold not be allowed for nr's. for obvious reasons...

other then that, yea i can see its use
Major SirSebstar

Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011

Postby ViperOverLord on Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:00 pm

SirSebstar wrote:on the other hand, how can this affect freestyle games and will this not just cause more delay when players deadbeat?
Also, this setting shold not be allowed for nr's. for obvious reasons...

other then that, yea i can see its use

Deadbeating would cost a player time whether it was standard or freestyle. But it's a small price to pay to eliminate an otherwise huge headache.
Captain ViperOverLord

Postby ViperOverLord on Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:02 pm

While I'm thinking about it - There are a significant segment of players that only log in once per day. The idea of waiting 12 hours for a player to look at a map is often an undue burden. It is also often a burden that he/she cannot facilitate.
Captain ViperOverLord

Postby blakebowling on Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:03 pm

Again, this is one of those things I only see practical on a speed setting.
Private blakebowling

Postby ViperOverLord on Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:09 am

blakebowling wrote:Again, this is one of those things I only see practical on a speed setting.

I don't see how this is not practical? And I don't know why it would be practical for speed and not for the 24-hour setting.
Captain ViperOverLord

Activate Button for Fog games

Postby kjg21 on Tue May 22, 2012 10:19 pm

Concise description:
Add an "Activate Game" button once all players have joined a Fog game. The player/team who gets to start the game would not be able to do so until the other player/team has had a chance to view the drop and clicks the "Activate Game" button.

Specifics/Details:
1) I would propose a 12 hour time limit for this period.
2) The "Activate Game" button could exist where the "Begin Turn" currently does.
3) The "Waiting for Opponent to Begin" icon already exists and would work perfectly.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
1) It would eliminate any confusion (during tournaments especially) as to when the "Fog Rule" is in effect.
2) It would eliminate the need for people to run down the invitation time in an attempt to be the last to join.
3) It would prevent the people who are running down the invitation time and then forget to join from missing the invitation.

One drawback is that certain maps don't benefit from the Fog Rule (ie. Feudal War, Clandemonium, etc.). I'm not sure if the button could be selective in these situation. Ideas are welcome!

-kjg21-
Colonel kjg21

Re: Activate Button for Fog games

Postby greenoaks on Tue May 22, 2012 11:01 pm

i don't play with the fog rule and have no use for this. i feel all things even out in the end and am not interested in my turns being delayed because the other side hasn't seen the drop.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby chapcrap on Wed May 23, 2012 3:35 am

greenoaks wrote:i don't play with the fog rule and have no use for this. i feel all things even out in the end and am not interested in my turns being delayed because the other side hasn't seen the drop.

This is how I feel mostly. But, I don't have a huge problem with the suggestion. I just think people make too big a deal of it in general.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby agentcom on Wed May 23, 2012 2:02 pm

I agree with this suggestion. I think it's a great way of solving the "fog problem" using (mostly) things that are already available on the site. My one question would be how this would affect manual troop deployments. Currently the deploy phase is "Round 1" (which I don't really like). In a perfect world, I'd like to see manual deployment and "Activation" happen in Round 0. But even if that is not addressed, I would favor this just to take care of 95% of the fog problems (i.e. every game except manual deployment).

As to the comments above: I don't think this is overblown. Even if there are just a couple games out of 100 in which this makes a difference, it still may make a difference to high ranked players that depend on a certain number of wins to keep their ranks. In most games, the dice and drop will matter more than the ability to see a couple extra territs. But there are quite a few games, especially on big maps, where an opponent can block you from seeing a critical territory in that first turn.
Colonel agentcom

Postby IanG7 on Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:04 pm

I agree with this idea as well. I find it very classless when opponents join a game and start right away and I rate them accordingly. Many times you can figure out what happened, sure, but there are other times when that is impossible and this would address that.
You've already got the start, show some sportsmanship!
Brigadier IanG7

Postby NoSurvivors on Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:02 pm

Although I dont play useing the fog rule because not too many people I have played ever use it (i learned this rule against a really nice guy who was upset that i took my turn, about a month ago), I wouldn't mind seeing this happen. Like the posters above said, eliminates confusion.

-NoS
Colonel NoSurvivors

Postby SaviorShot on Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:34 pm

This would be great IMO. Everyone gets to see the drop b4 the game starts. Making things fair. Good idea, I support this
Colonel SaviorShot

Postby patrickaa317 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:32 pm

I like this idea but 12 hours is tough because not everyone checks the site every 12 hours so some players will still complain that they are getting the short end on the deal. If possible, one addition would be that they player that joins last should not be required to hit the activate game button.
taking a break from cc, will be back sometime in the future.
Sergeant patrickaa317

Postby Jippd on Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:53 am

You can add a round to the beginning of every fog game. It would be "freestyle" for the first round only. Once everyone clicks the button then it jumps to the first player and play continues on regularly (freestyle/sequential).

Harder to code but it would give everyone the length of one turn cycle to view the map. There would be 1 round of "24 hours/5/4/3/2/1 minutes" being added to a fog game before the actual start of round 1. If everyone clicks end turn or "activate game" then that confirms they saw the map. Once everyone has clicked it then it jumps to the player that starts the game and round 1 begins. If everyone does not click it it times out and round 1 will start after the length of one turn cycle.
Major Jippd

Postby ThrushAAX on Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:19 am

This is a great suggestion, was actually thinking of something similar myself. I think it should be for all games. With a countdown of the actual round time not 12 hours or anything like that.

It would be helpful to get the "game is on" email when the game is filled not when its my first turn. Especially for team games when you may want to start saying something in chat before its your first turn.
Colonel ThrushAAX

Postby squishyg on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:03 pm

No. If you want to see the board, don't play fog.
There is no fog rule and I am no gentleman.
Robinette wrote:
Kaskavel wrote:Seriously. Who is the female conqueror of CC?

Depends on what metric you use...
The coolest is squishyg
Captain squishyg

Postby patrickaa317 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:46 pm

squishyg wrote:No. If you want to see the board, don't play fog.

It's not seeing the whole board, just what the first player gets to see.
Sergeant patrickaa317

Postby squishyg on Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:23 pm

patrickaa317 wrote:

Then don't play fog. There's often an inherent benefit in going first.
There is no fog rule and I am no gentleman.
Robinette wrote:
Kaskavel wrote:Seriously. Who is the female conqueror of CC?

Depends on what metric you use...
The coolest is squishyg
Captain squishyg

Postby patrickaa317 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:38 pm

squishyg wrote:
patrickaa317 wrote:

Then don't play fog. There's often an inherent benefit in going first.

With fog, the benefit of going first is two fold, especially if you are last to join.

I'm not a big proponent of this as I feel there are other things that should have priority but this would make things more balanced.
Sergeant patrickaa317

Postby dparks240 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:51 pm

I would support this suggestion; however, I would rather this be an check box option with initial troops/special game play. That being said, i think there are more important suggestions/improvements that would take precedence over this.

Bring on the poll
Sergeant 1st Class dparks240

Postby Swimmerdude99 on Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:30 am

I would say it shouldn't be demanded, but be an option when creating a game to have "activation" stage, which would just be a 24 hour turn people can see the board, OR you could make it the 12 hour fog rule and that people who want to can use that! :)
Offsite to 12/31/2023. Reach out to TheSpaceCowboy to reach me
Major Swimmerdude99

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions