Conquer Club

bias in mafia

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: bias in mafia

Postby nagerous on Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:27 pm

Ha I love mandy's theories, mad as they are -
Captain nagerous

Postby MeDeFe on Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:07 am

Any case against Rodion will invoke the terminator mafia game.
saxitoxin wrote:Your position is more complex than the federal tax code. As soon as I think I understand it, I find another index of cross-references, exceptions and amendments I have to apply.
Timminz wrote:Yo mama is so classless, she could be a Marxist utopia.
Major MeDeFe

Location: Follow the trail of holes in other people's arguments.

Postby Commander9 on Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:11 am

safariguy5 wrote:3. Noob Bias: Whenever a newer player joins a game, usually gets picked on for very obvious scumtells even if they don't know what they're doing is scummy.

4. Mod Bias: If a mod is perceived as being particularly fond crazy/unbalanced setups, players tend to be more receptive to convoluted theories over the most simple ones. Can work in reverse if mod is perceived as being balanced in setup.

5. Activity Bias: Any player who posts regularly will generally be looked upon as more townish than the player who posts less frequently.

#4 is extremely true - even when I've intentionally nerfed the game, it was perceived as highly complicated due to what I've said while promoting it and due to my reputation as creating highly complex games.
But... It was so artistically done.
Lieutenant Commander9

Postby mandalorian2298 on Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:48 am

Mr. Squirrel wrote:
strike wolf wrote:1. The right-wrong bias: the thought process that sometimes forms when one person campaigns heavily for one case on a person and the accused dies as town then the person who campaigned for his lynch is more likely scum. Or if the accuser dies then the accused is that much more likely to be scum.

Funny story:
The other night I was the narrator for a RL mafia game that was going on in my dorm (I have corrupted a bunch of people and gotten them hooked). There was a vig who was damn sure he knew who the godfather was N1. Despite his campaigning, he couldn't get enough support from the town to get the lynch. So he ended up killing himself N4 to make the godfather look suspicious. It worked and the godfather was lynched D5. :lol: Funniest thing I have ever seen.

If your vig friend is a hot girl, then I think that I'm in love. =P~ That is the coolest thing that I ever read.

EDITED: No, it's a dude! Freck and double freck!! :x
Mishuk gotal'u meshuroke, pako kyore.

Talapus wrote:I'm far more pissed that mandy and his thought process were right from the get go....damn you mandy.
Lieutenant mandalorian2298

Postby mandalorian2298 on Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:58 am

nagerous wrote:Ha I love mandy's theories, mad as they are -

Thank you, Nag. :)

zimmah wrote:
MeDeFe wrote:
safariguy5 wrote:14. Veteran Nightkill Bias: Veteran players tend to be targeted for nightkills early on before they can really get down to scumhunting. The fear is they got a read on a mafia player and will pursue the lead aggressively unless silenced early.

Then the surviving veterans are likely to be scum and get lynched.

that is n fact a good point.

any surviving veterans that made it through n5 or so should be lynched for this reason alone. :lol:

Actually, this depends. When I am scum, my N1 priority is to figure out the best player among those who are unlikely to be protected. I would never target one of the most senior veteran players on N1, from fear of wasting that night's kill.
Mishuk gotal'u meshuroke, pako kyore.

Talapus wrote:I'm far more pissed that mandy and his thought process were right from the get go....damn you mandy.
Lieutenant mandalorian2298

Postby safariguy5 on Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:13 pm

15. No mafia player ever retires permanently. They all come back sooner or later.
Captain safariguy5

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue May 29, 2012 8:48 am

Bumping this. Perhaps a sticky or a link in one of the intro threads?
ā–‘ā–’ā–’ā–“ā–“ā–“ā–’ā–’ā–‘
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby strike wolf on Tue May 29, 2012 10:02 am

DoomYoshi wrote:Bumping this. Perhaps a sticky or a link in one of the intro threads?

Maybe a link. I don't think it's worth a sticky by any means.
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Strike wolf need brain for smart making.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby everywhere116 on Tue May 29, 2012 3:34 pm

safariguy5 wrote:15. No mafia player ever retires permanently. They all come back sooner or later.
That's not true.
"Disease, suffering, hardship...that is what war is all about."-Captain Kirk, from "A Taste of Armageddon"
Corporal everywhere116

Postby pmchugh on Tue May 29, 2012 6:46 pm

Haha love this thread, some beltors in here.

I'd like to add:

Effort Bias: If someone prevents long winded defensive posts then they are less likely to be voted as it requires too much effort to lynch them.

Play Style Bias: If someone has an unfamiliar or unconventional play style they are more likely to be seen as scummy even if they always play that way.

Activity Action Bias: The players who talk the most are usually the most prone to having actions taken against them.

Friend Bias: People are more likely to trust their friends and protect them in games. *cough* clever *cough*
2009-08-12 03:35:31 - Squirrels Hat: MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
2009-08-12 03:44:25 - Mr. Squirrel: Do you think my hat will attack me?
Major pmchugh

Postby Rodion on Tue May 29, 2012 7:46 pm

pmchugh wrote:Haha love this thread, some beltors in here.

I'd like to add:

Effort Bias: If someone prevents long winded defensive posts then they are less likely to be voted as it requires too much effort to lynch them.

For some reason, when some players lock their votes on me (Strike, for instance), I die. There is no ammount of effort or logic I can conjure to avoid that. It's really frustrating. :cry:
General Rodion

Postby safariguy5 on Wed May 30, 2012 1:44 am

pmchugh wrote:
Friend Bias: People are more likely to trust their friends and protect them in games. *cough* clever *cough*

I think enough virtual white russians have been knocked back with me and tails too. At least I'd like to think that.
Captain safariguy5

Postby strike wolf on Wed May 30, 2012 2:06 am

safariguy5 wrote:
pmchugh wrote:

I think enough virtual white russians have been knocked back with me and tails too. At least I'd like to think that.

It's kind of different for me. The people who I get along with better I tend to accuse more...maybe it's a "you tend to think like me so why aren't we agreeing bias". It's one of the reasons, I can at times be very critical of you, edoc, Comm9 and pancake in particular. Nothing to do with Rodion. Rodion's just always scummy :D
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Strike wolf need brain for smart making.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Wed May 30, 2012 3:47 am

safariguy5 wrote:
pmchugh wrote:

:D Now I think I need to have one. It's a good thing I keep a half gallon of home made kahlĆŗa at all times.

But yeah, I think this bias is pretty closely related to my own bias; I hardly ever inv., kill, or pursue cases on players such as you or strike, who practice cautious, rational play, i.e. guys I could have a beer with. I honestly have a hard time ever getting substantive reads on you. Plus, I think it's more fun to have experienced, skillful players at end-game for all the potential of twists. Mostly I find myself responding to eccentric or super-talkative players who play unguardedly (not a word, I know).

-Tails
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby pmchugh on Wed May 30, 2012 8:48 am

I guess the friend thing can work different ways. When you are mafia for instance, some people are more inclined to kill their friends for a laugh where as others would want to keep them in the game.
Major pmchugh

Postby nagerous on Wed May 30, 2012 12:47 pm

pmchugh wrote:I guess the friend thing can work different ways. When you are mafia for instance, some people are more inclined to kill their friends for a laugh where as others would want to keep them in the game.

Can friend bias work the other way? You're always voting me!
Captain nagerous

Postby pmchugh on Wed May 30, 2012 1:36 pm

nagerous wrote:
pmchugh wrote:I guess the friend thing can work different ways. When you are mafia for instance, some people are more inclined to kill their friends for a laugh where as others would want to keep them in the game.

Yeah defo, I am always trying to kill you too haha. I just like to see you lose the plot and get so mad you become useless for the rest of the game :D
Major pmchugh

Postby safariguy5 on Thu May 31, 2012 4:32 pm

pmchugh wrote:
nagerous wrote:

Yeah defo, I am always trying to kill you too haha. I just like to see you lose the plot and get so mad you become useless for the rest of the game :D

So therefore, it can come down to a player's personality as you try to subtly influence them? Hmm....
Captain safariguy5

Postby zimmah on Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:55 am

I'd like to add:

Play Style Bias: If someone has an unfamiliar or unconventional play style they are more likely to be seen as scummy even if they always play that way.

Activity Action Bias: The players who talk the most are usually the most prone to having actions taken against them.

this one is very true and should actually be the opposite, but in reality, it's true.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby zimmah on Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:57 am

Rodion wrote:

I'd like to add:

For some reason, when some players lock their votes on me (Strike, for instance), I die. There is no ammount of effort or logic I can conjure to avoid that. It's really frustrating. :cry:

Sheep bias: whenever one player votes for another player, a lot of players tend to join the bandwagon no matter what kind of defense you pull off.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby safariguy5 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:45 pm

zimmah wrote:
Rodion wrote:

I'd like to add:

Sheep bias: whenever one player votes for another player, a lot of players tend to join the bandwagon no matter what kind of defense you pull off.

This is tied to the experience and perceived credibility of the player bringing the case about.
Captain safariguy5

Postby Fircoal on Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:03 am

I personally try to keep my friends around. ALthough trolling is fun. ;3

Also adding:

The Silleh Bais: Players who are often silleh are often taken less seriously than those that play very seriously.

Once A Lurker Bais: If you have a reputation for being a lurker, you're always gonna be suspected of being one. x3
Vote: Mandy
Eddie35: hi everyone
Serbia: YOU IDIOT! What is THAT supposed to be? Are you even TRYING to play this game?! Kill the idiot NOW please!
Skoffin wrote: So um.. er... I'll be honest, I don't know what the f*ck to do from here. Goddamnit chu.
Captain Fircoal

Previous

Return to Mafia Discussions