Conquer Club

Overall 1 v1 Strategy...

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Overall 1 v1 Strategy...

Postby celliottii on Tue May 29, 2012 9:17 pm

I've been playing a lot of 1v1 tourneys lately...and getting my butt whupped in most of them. Being fairly new to CC and a recruit in the SoC training, I was wondering if there was a thread somewhere that gives a basic "strategy" for 1v1 games...kinda like the "Four Rules" we're taught in SoC...

Thanks!
Lieutenant celliottii
SoC Training Instructor
SoC Training Instructor

Re: Overall 1 v1 Strategy...

Postby chapcrap on Tue May 29, 2012 10:13 pm

1. Don't attack neutrals.
  2. Stop them from securing a bonus. (AKA, lower their troop deployment).
  3. First areas to attack are ones where a bonus is too be had.
    • What I mean is that, for instance, on Classic, if you go first and Australia has 3 neutrals and SA has 3 neutrals, but none of Africa is neutral, fight for Africa first and foremost.
  4. Don't be afraid to trade cards early.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby DiM on Tue May 29, 2012 10:46 pm

chapcrap wrote:
  1. Don't attack neutrals.

unless he has to (a conquest type map), or that neutral terit will bring him a worthwhile bonus that can be realistically defended.
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby anonymus on Wed May 30, 2012 3:53 am

rule4. dont attack 3v3 or 3v2 EVER and only 3v1 if its your last chanse to bring your opponent to 11, 14, 17 and so on.. or breking a bonus ofcourse..
seems standard but i see this all the time..

/ :?:
Click image to enlarge.

show: BoganGod speaks the truth
Major anonymus

Postby King Engineer on Wed May 30, 2012 9:23 pm

1)Most of all, don't get angry and mess up game delibrately by getting ANGRY if you get bad dice! KEEP CALM :)

2)BELIEVE that miracles DO happen in CC games! Its rare, but even if you're completely losing, it is possible you might win.

3)Play against high ranking players preferrably. You'll learn MUCH MORE from playing against them, you'll lose very few points and if you win you'll gain a LOT of points :)
Colonel King Engineer

Postby SaviorShot on Thu May 31, 2012 8:09 am

Choose a map an figure out how to 1v1 on it. Play flat rate if ur not that good and just wanna get lucky. No spoils or escalating if u feel your good at 1v1. But the most important part of a 1v1 is the map. In my eyes at least
Colonel SaviorShot

Postby celliottii on Thu May 31, 2012 2:34 pm

Thanks, everyone! This is a good start for me...
Lieutenant celliottii
SoC Training Instructor
SoC Training Instructor

Postby Jippd on Thu May 31, 2012 3:57 pm

anonymus wrote:rule4. dont attack 3v3 or 3v2 EVER and only 3v1 if its your last chanse to bring your opponent to 11, 14, 17 and so on.. or breking a bonus ofcourse..
seems standard but i see this all the time..

/ :?:

3 v 1 is 75% to win...why would you not want to attack that?
Major Jippd

Postby mc05025 on Thu May 31, 2012 11:13 pm

because 4v1 is better :)

The main reason you should not do the 3v1 is that even if you win you will be forced to leave a territory with 1 troop. Your opponents might can attack that territory with 4v1 and so overall it is against you.

An other reason is that a 1 might is useless. So better have a stack of 3 that potentially can attack something useful. But of course this is a reason not to make th 4v1 etc
Field Marshal mc05025

Postby Jippd on Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:06 am

rolling a 3 v 1 does not always increase defensive positions.

It can also make a difference in how many territories you will hold....say you rolled that 3 v 1 and your opponent drops you from 18 to 15 regions on their turn. If you hadn't rolled the 3 v 1 they would have dropped you from 17 to 14 regions and you would drop 4 instead of 5 so not rolling that 3 v 1 cost you a troop because you hold less regions.

Also in times where the maps are worn down to pretty much exposed ones everywhere I don't think you need to worry about the threat of the exposed one as much as maximizing your ability to attack ones and defend with 2+'s
Major Jippd

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:57 am

celliottii wrote:I've been playing a lot of 1v1 tourneys lately...and getting my butt whupped in most of them. Being fairly new to CC and a recruit in the SoC training, I was wondering if there was a thread somewhere that gives a basic "strategy" for 1v1 games...kinda like the "Four Rules" we're taught in SoC...

Thanks!

I play almost exclusively 1vs1 games on non-complex maps, and I think I have a pretty decent win percentage in those games. A lot of strategies you would use for other settings, can apply to 1vs1. Limiting your opponents attacking regions can most always be beneficial---the less regions he has to deploy attacking troops on the more you force him into a style of gaming that corners him without many options.

Additionally, letting opponents build up a stack isn't usually a good idea in 1vs1, as a run where he attacks and takes over a lot of your regions can be devastating, so whittling down stacks can also be beneficial to your health!

Try out some non-complex maps, or hit me up with a Wall Message if you want to play some 1vs1 games, since I am usually looking for some.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Kaskavel on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:05 pm

I can provide 30 reasons to make an attack 3 vs 1. I can even provide 30 reasons to make an attack 3 vs 2 or 2 vs 1. It is not wise to advise the new players "never" to do those attacks. This is not going to improve their game understanding. The site's best players are where they are, because they know how to use their judgement and take the appropriate decisions in different circumstances. My advice is
Do not make mathematicaly unfavourable attacks, unless you can find a good, satisfying, specific reason to do so. If you cannot answer the question "why am I going to do this?", then do not make that attack.
This kind of rule encourages creative thinking and will advance low ranked players. It is better for a player to think that he will not make this 3 vs 1 attack, because next round he is certain to improve it to a 4 vs 1 attack, rather than take the decision based on what a wise general said in a forum.
Colonel Kaskavel

Postby chapcrap on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:22 pm

Kaskavel wrote:I can provide 30 reasons to make an attack 3 vs 1. I can even provide 30 reasons to make an attack 3 vs 2 or 2 vs 1. It is not wise to advise the new players "never" to do those attacks. This is not going to improve their game understanding. The site's best players are where they are, because they know how to use their judgement and take the appropriate decisions in different circumstances. My advice is
Do not make mathematicaly unfavourable attacks, unless you can find a good, satisfying, specific reason to do so. If you cannot answer the question "why am I going to do this?", then do not make that attack.
This kind of rule encourages creative thinking and will advance low ranked players. It is better for a player to think that he will not make this 3 vs 1 attack, because next round he is certain to improve it to a 4 vs 1 attack, rather than take the decision based on what a wise general said in a forum.

I would like to see your list of 30 please.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Kaskavel on Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:03 pm

1. Eliminate a player
2. Take an objective
3. Break an objective
4. Take a spoil
5. (nuclear) Remove your armies from a region you will probably be forced to nuke yourself next turn.
6. (team) Contact partner in order to make an advantageous reinforcement
7. (team) Contact partner in order to allow him to do an advantageous reinforcement
8. Capture a bonus
9. Break a bonus
10. Drop opponent to 3n-1 regions (11,14,17...)
11. (flat rate) Capture a region whose spoil is on hand
12. (fog) Block opponent's information to a critical action of yours.
13. (fog) Capture an irrelevant neutral giving the impression that you just conquered a bonus in the other side of the map
14. (trench) Increase your boarder line in order to prevent opponent from breaking through a critical area.
15. (automatic, chained) Block a line of communication through which opponent continusly reinforces misplaced 3s into action.
16. (automatic, chained) Open a line of communication through which you can reinforce misplaced 3s into action.
17. Engulf a thorn. Attacked region is the only one left "inside" your territory and opponent will wreck havoc if allowed to place his army there next turn.
18. Unblock third party. Open the rout to another player in order to attack with his big stack another player who is threatening to win the game.
19. (fog) Gain critical information about regions behind.
20. (escalating, fog) Any kind of bluffing-trying to seduce an opponent into an elimination attempt, based on wrong guessing of target's area positions.
21. (round limit) Last round's desperate attacks to surpass your opponent's army or creating a situation where a specific senario of conflict between two other players will lead to a win.
22. (team, round limit) Creating as much damage as possible against opponents when you are the weak player of the team and your army size does not count for the result of the game.
23. (escalating or any other case of cleaning up an area or an opponent) Make suboptimal attacks (mainly 3 vs 1 and 2 vs 1 but even 2 vs 2 sometimes) with not so much useful attackers when you need to "narrow" or "facilate" the advance of your main army in an otherwise dubious or uncertain elimination attempt.
24. Conquer a critical region where you want to reinforce in, be it an escalating block, a passing point to a game objective or anything else that matters in the game.
25. (specific maps killing armies) Use against opponents the spare army (armies) that are going to be wasted at the start of your next turn anyway.
26. (freestyle) Freestyle tricks. We can all imagine many situations where you completely bust opponents plans by interfearing with an otherwise stupid attack.
27. Irrelevant isolated battle (only for 3 vs 1 and 2 vs 1). The two regions are isolated from the game because of neutrals (for example the two south Australia regions in classic, when the upper two are neutrals). Making this 3 or 2 vs 1 assault can not hurt you in case you lose, but will provide a +1 region for you and a -1 region for opponent in case you win, FOR THE WHOLE GAME to follow.
28. (Specific maps) Bombardment. You have serious chances to hit too many regions, just with the same 3 troops.
29. (specific maps) One way assaults. Forever removing opponent's ability to use a one way assault route, thus trapping him in an unfavourable area.
30. (escalating) Encourage a favourable (!) elimination attempt by capturing an isolated region. Isn't it so nice when in a multiplayer escalating game you offer one opponent the chance to win the game (60% or 40%, really doesnt matter) but you in turn win the game yourself if he fails to do so?
You can bet I can find much more with some extra thinking. That was a funny list of me to do, but please do not miss my main point. It is wonderful when a cook thinks that "I will make this normaly unfavourable 2 vs 1 attack, because opponent's reinforcements from the south will be cut off in case I succeed, but the wasted troop in case I lose is not going to hurt my game because of its isolation". We should provide new players with some normal rules, but also encourage them for thinking creatively in order to spot the exceptions to those rules.
Colonel Kaskavel

Postby Iron Butterfly on Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:09 pm

Your list is redundant. You say stuff to say stuff so you can hit 30.
Captain Iron Butterfly

Postby Kaskavel on Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:16 am

Of course it is. I was asked to name 30 reasons, based on using one of my earlier expressions, and I found it entertaining to try.
31. Limit the number of boarders
Colonel Kaskavel

Postby gas on Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:32 pm

IronB sorry man but is better to be redundant (is it?) than inadequate. especially when someone with no experience asked for advice. the point as i understand it, is that you cannot be absolute and use words like "EVER" that can confuse people. many of us can tell stories abt how they won a game by attacking not 3-2 but 3-4 (even 3-5 - ok this is rare!). of course this is more common in escalating games where you can take -actually better to say you will take- risks that not is not going to harm you at all if you fail but will give you the game if you succeed.
General gas

Postby agentcom on Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:58 pm

Kaskavel, that was an awesome list. I completely agree that there are times when any attack can be beneficial. I am impressed that you were able to come up with 30 like that.

I will say, when I'm playing with a noob as a partner, part of my preliminary advice is to not keep rolling if they get down to 3 armies. Because I have found that if they don't know this general rule, they can do me and my team a lot of harm. However, if the opportunity arises, I would of course encourage them to break this rule.
Colonel agentcom

Postby Jippd on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:54 am

I also was impressed that you were able to come up with 30
Major Jippd

Postby Armandolas on Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:15 am

like someone said earlier...the most important of all...Keep calm..i often fail at this one when dice is not with me
Colonel Armandolas

Postby Major bob on Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:49 pm

I enjoyed it! Freedom of speech, remember?
Sergeant Major bob

Postby jltile1 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:13 pm

Kaskavel wrote:1. Eliminate a player
2. Take an objective
3. Break an objective
4. Take a spoil
5. (nuclear) Remove your armies from a region you will probably be forced to nuke yourself next turn.
7. (team) Contact partner in order to allow him to do an advantageous reinforcement
8. Capture a bonus
9. Break a bonus
13. (fog) Capture an irrelevant neutral giving the impression that you just conquered a bonus in the other side of the map
14. (trench) Increase your boarder line in order to prevent opponent from breaking through a critical area.
15. (automatic, chained) Block a line of communication through which opponent continusly reinforces misplaced 3s into action.
16. (automatic, chained) Open a line of communication through which you can reinforce misplaced 3s into action.
17. Engulf a thorn. Attacked region is the only one left "inside" your territory and opponent will wreck havoc if allowed to place his army there next turn.
18. Unblock third party. Open the rout to another player in order to attack with his big stack another player who is threatening to win the game.
20. (escalating, fog) Any kind of bluffing-trying to seduce an opponent into an elimination attempt, based on wrong guessing of target's area positions.
21. (round limit) Last round's desperate attacks to surpass your opponent's army or creating a situation where a specific senario of conflict between two other players will lead to a win.
22. (team, round limit) Creating as much damage as possible against opponents when you are the weak player of the team and your army size does not count for the result of the game.
23. (escalating or any other case of cleaning up an area or an opponent) Make suboptimal attacks (mainly 3 vs 1 and 2 vs 1 but even 2 vs 2 sometimes) with not so much useful attackers when you need to "narrow" or "facilate" the advance of your main army in an otherwise dubious or uncertain elimination attempt.
24. Conquer a critical region where you want to reinforce in, be it an escalating block, a passing point to a game objective or anything else that matters in the game.
25. (specific maps killing armies) Use against opponents the spare army (armies) that are going to be wasted at the start of your next turn anyway.
26. (freestyle) Freestyle tricks. We can all imagine many situations where you completely bust opponents plans by interfearing with an otherwise stupid attack.
27. Irrelevant isolated battle (only for 3 vs 1 and 2 vs 1). The two regions are isolated from the game because of neutrals (for example the two south Australia regions in classic, when the upper two are neutrals). Making this 3 or 2 vs 1 assault can not hurt you in case you lose, but will provide a +1 region for you and a -1 region for opponent in case you win, FOR THE WHOLE GAME to follow.
28. (Specific maps) Bombardment. You have serious chances to hit too many regions, just with the same 3 troops.
29. (specific maps) One way assaults. Forever removing opponent's ability to use a one way assault route, thus trapping him in an unfavourable area.
30. (escalating) Encourage a favourable (!) elimination attempt by capturing an isolated region. Isn't it so nice when in a multiplayer escalating game you offer one opponent the chance to win the game (60% or 40%, really doesnt matter) but you in turn win the game yourself if he fails to do so?
You can bet I can find much more with some extra thinking. That was a funny list of me to do, but please do not miss my main point. It is wonderful when a cook thinks that "I will make this normaly unfavourable 2 vs 1 attack, because opponent's reinforcements from the south will be cut off in case I succeed, but the wasted troop in case I lose is not going to hurt my game because of its isolation". We should provide new players with some normal rules, but also encourage them for thinking creatively in order to spot the exceptions to those rules.

Very good to say the least.

In a mid sieve map 3v1 attacks are very good if the other person is leaving ones to spread your regions epically if there is not a attacker behind you. You adv a two leaving your attacker to pick his battles.
Major jltile1

Postby 100mates on Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:39 am

i've attacked 16 with only 4 and won without losing a troop...
Sometimes its good to take that chance, low as it may be.

When playing higher ranked players, you'll find that some of them leave lots of little "poops" (2men) over each territory in an attempt to lower your chance of gaining any ground and also preventing you from getting that extra one troop for holding 12+ territories.
Brigadier 100mates

Postby Kaskavel on Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:55 pm

jltile1 wrote:
2. Take an objective
3. Break an objective
4. Take a spoil
8. Capture a bonus
9. Break a bonus

In a mid sieve map 3v1 attacks are very good if the other person is leaving ones to spread your regions epically if there is not a attacker behind you. You adv a two leaving your attacker to pick his battles.

I do not know what a mid sieve map is. If you mean a corridor (very narrow) map, you are right. If you mean the entirely opposite (a very widespread map) you also have right under some circumstances.
It is ironic, but it is on very close or very open maps that 3 vs 1 attacks are many times good. In medium shaped maps, they are usualy a bad idea.
Colonel Kaskavel

Postby jltile1 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:06 pm

Kaskavel wrote:
jltile1 wrote:
2. Take an objective
3. Break an objective
4. Take a spoil
8. Capture a bonus
9. Break a bonus

I do not know what a mid sieve map is. If you mean a corridor (very narrow) map, you are right. If you mean the entirely opposite (a very widespread map) you also have right under some circumstances.
It is ironic, but it is on very close or very open maps that 3 vs 1 attacks are many times good. In medium shaped maps, they are usualy a bad idea.

My iPad has a mind of its own. I ment mid sized map ha ha. But maybe that's a new word for map sizes. It really depends on the situation, like I said if your opponent has singles every where and you have 3s to attack to increase your regions it is a smart move to at least try once since you can only loose one troop. But it all depends like spoils or none ect. Classic is a perfect example. But you will do anything to get a kill 3v3 if needed at times. However a very small map attacking with a three is very stupid move.
Major jltile1

Next

Return to Conquer Club Discussion