Conquer Club

Labyrinth [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Greek Games [23/5] V7 P3

Postby koontz1973 on Thu May 24, 2012 10:07 pm

Cheers nole.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Greek Games [23/5] V7 P3

Postby koontz1973 on Thu May 24, 2012 11:45 pm

And now for the next update and on towards the GP stamp.
Changes.
Grass now has a path that is worn.
Added two Pegasuses.
Changed the layout of the legend and added a key for the different neutrals.
Click image to enlarge.

Starting positions should be roughly equal now. I have tried to balance them but would like some difference between them.
Hades.
Hades is now at 15 neutrals as he has a lot of power. This is a mid to late game territ as all he can do is bombard if no other bonuses have been taken.
All 8 now have to go through 14 neutrals to get to hades without a trap.
The 4 corner ones can get to Hades with 12 neutrals if they go through a trap.
The centre ones are 10 or 12 neutrals if they go through a trap.
This is the reason for the traps. Get to the centre quicker but with a penalty.
Pegasus.
Pegasus has no bonus but allows players to move around the outside of the board relatively quickly. Because of this, the four corner ones have a trap beside them.
Dead Warriors.
Corner starting positions have to take 10 neutrals before they can get this bonus. The centre 4 territs have 11 or 12 neutrals to take before getting a dead warrior bonus. To compinsate for this disparity they get the Siren bonus.
Sirens.
The 4 centre territs have this bonus of 2 to fight over. To grab this, they have either 7 or 8 neutrals to kill. Sirens cannot attack so it is a dead end if taken. Forcing players to move around the wall and dead warriors to attack another player.
Food and Weapons
Same style bonus but at different rates. All territs have the same amount of neutrals to grab either bonus within 1 neutral.
Spears.
No bonus but can bombard up to 3 territs away including over the walls.
Medusa
Two of these at 3 neutrals apiece. Holding either one gives you a +2 bonus but it is surrounded by lots of killer neutral.
Minitor
4 of these ones at 2 neutrals each. A +1 bonus for each.

Lets see what changes can be made. ;)

lostatlimbo wrote:My first instinct is that the name Greek Games = ancient Olympic games.
Myths & Monsters would be a cool title.
Would be cool if you could work in Cyclops as well. Probably more applicable than Hades. If I'm not mistaken, Hades had little or nothing to do with these other creatures.
$.02

The Olympic games would be a great idea to do as a map and with the next one in London, I would love to do it but I have a feeling that one might be made soon.
As for the title, I will add yours as a sub title as it really fits.
Cyclops may not be a bad idea and have tried to fit it in to this map, but could not draw one that was good enough. But it is making an appearance soon though (but not on this map).
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Greek Games [25/5] V8 P3

Postby nebsmith on Fri May 25, 2012 8:52 am

I Like it all, very clear and it looks really good.
Sergeant nebsmith

Postby chapcrap on Fri May 25, 2012 5:44 pm

nebsmith wrote:I Like it all, very clear and it looks really good.

I would say by clear he means understandable.

One thing I would change are the font in the key. I don't have a problem with the font itself, but it's showing up very pixely in the key. Something that looks smoother would be better.

Also, the darkness of the starting positions. Kind of hard to see a few of those numbers. Make it a lighter shade of brown?
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby koontz1973 on Sat May 26, 2012 6:47 am

chapcrap wrote:One thing I would change are the font in the key. I don't have a problem with the font itself, but it's showing up very pixely in the key. Something that looks smoother would be better.

Smoother text.
chapcrap wrote:Also, the darkness of the starting positions. Kind of hard to see a few of those numbers. Make it a lighter shade of brown?

Better?
Click image to enlarge.

Does everyone understand the territ naming system. I know it works for Knights but this is a bigger map.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Greek Games [26/5] V9 P4

Postby Teflon Kris on Sun May 27, 2012 6:57 am

I think players should all have the required intelligenceto work-out the terit-naming system once they play. ;)

I love this map- developing very nicely - icons are great and interesting gameplay.

=D> =D>

How about "Age of Mythology" as the map series name?

:?:
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby koontz1973 on Sun May 27, 2012 7:34 am

Thanks DJ for the support. Any ideas you have for anything, let me know. If you do not mind, I will use your naming idea and drop Greek Games completely from the title.

show: Level 2
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby nolefan5311 on Sun May 27, 2012 12:11 pm

I think the only issue with the naming of the grid system is typing them out. I don't know how to access the Greek alphabet on my computer, so for the Greek symbols I have to type the whole word out. Not a big deal, but you asked if any of us had any issues :)
Captain nolefan5311

Postby koontz1973 on Sun May 27, 2012 1:07 pm

nolefan5311 wrote:I think the only issue with the naming of the grid system is typing them out. I don't know how to access the Greek alphabet on my computer, so for the Greek symbols I have to type the whole word out. Not a big deal, but you asked if any of us had any issues :)

Use Google translate. :D

Ī‘Ļ…Ļ„ĻŒ Ļ„Īæ Ī¼Ī®Ī½Ļ…Ī¼Ī± Ī­Ļ‡ĪµĪ¹ Ļ€Ī»Ī·ĪŗĻ„ĻĪæĪ»ĪæĪ³Ī·ĪøĪµĪÆ Ī±Ļ€ĻŒ Ī¼Ī¹Ī± Ļ€ĪæĪ»Ļ Ī¼ĪµĪøĻ…ĻƒĪ¼Ī­Ī½ĪæĻ‚ Ī¬Ī½Ļ„ĻĪ±Ļ‚ Ļ€ĪæĻ… ĪµĻ€Ī¹ĪøĻ…Ī¼ĪµĪÆ Ī½Ī± ĪŗĪ¬Ī½ĪµĪ¹ Ī­ĻĻ‰Ļ„Ī± Ī¼Īµ 40 Ļ€Ī±ĻĪøĪ­Ī½ĪµĻ‚ Ļ€ĻĪ¹Ī½ Ļ€ĪµĪøĪ¬Ī½ĪµĪ¹. Ī”ĪµĪ½ Ļ€ĪµĪ¹ĻĪ¬Ī¶ĪµĪ¹ Ī±Ī½ Ļ€ĻĻŒĪŗĪµĪ¹Ļ„Ī±Ī¹ Ī³Ī¹Ī± Ī³Ļ…Ī½Ī±ĪÆĪŗĪµĻ‚ Ī® Ļ„Ī± Ī¶ĻŽĪ± (Ļ€ĻĻŒĪ²Ī±Ļ„Ī± Ļ€ĻĪæĻ„ĪÆĪ¼Ī·ĻƒĪ±Ī½), Ī±Ī»Ī»Ī¬ ĪøĪ± ĪŗĪ¬Ī½ĪæĻ…Ī½ Ļ„Ī± ĻƒĪŗĻ…Ī»Ī¹Ī¬. ĪĪ± Ī­Ļ‡ĪµĻ„Īµ Ī¼Ī¹Ī± ĪŗĪ±Ī»Ī® Ī¼Ī­ĻĪ± ĪŗĪ±Ī¹ Ī½Ī± ĪŗĪ¬Ī½ĪæĻ…Ī½ Ī­ĻĻ‰Ļ„Ī± ĻƒĪµ Ļ€ĪæĪ»Ī»Ī­Ļ‚ Ī³Ļ…Ī½Ī±ĪÆĪŗĪµĻ‚, Ī½Ī± Ļ€ĪÆĪ½ĪæĻ…Ī½ Ļ€ĪæĪ»Ī»Ī¬ Ī¼Ļ€ĪæĻ…ĪŗĪ¬Ī»Ī¹Ī± ĪŗĻĪ±ĻƒĪÆ ĪŗĪ±Ī¹ ĪøĪ±Ī»Ī±ĻƒĻƒĪæĪŗĻŒĻĪ±ĪŗĪ±Ļ‚ ĻƒĻ…Ī¶ĻĪ³Ļ‰Ī½ Ī±Ī“ĪµĪ»Ļ†Ī® ĻƒĪæĻ… Ī“ĪµĪ½ Ī­Ļ‡ĪµĪ¹ ĻƒĪ·Ī¼Ī±ĻƒĪÆĪ± Ī· Ī·Ī»Ī¹ĪŗĪÆĪ± Ļ„Ī·Ļ‚.

But will end up going with the English in the end to save on confusion.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby koontz1973 on Mon May 28, 2012 2:02 am

New title courtesy of DJ Teflon.
Graphically changes (small but numerous).
Click image to enlarge.

Lets go over neutral values. The layout is pretty much set in stone unless someone has a very good reason to move something.
Current neutrals.
    Normal territs (paths) 1
    Dead warriors 2 (8 per bonus)
    Minotaur 2
    Medusa 3
    Hades 15
    Traps 1
    Pegasus 1 (Should these be killer neutrals)
    Food 1
    Weapons 1
    Spears 2
    Sirens 5
    Water 1
Starting numbers.
Each slaves entrances start with 3. They get a +2 auto deploy so everyone will start with 5 troops round 1. Reinforcements is 1 for every 5 territs, minimum of 3. Seems high but with 150 territs, it seems right as players will end up with lots of territs when they meet.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Age of Mythology Level one-Labarinth [28/5] V10 P4

Postby ViperOverLord on Mon May 28, 2012 3:25 am

Maybe you should have a walk of fire in the middle with higher resetting neutrals. :ugeek: I just think that stuff like that could help to lose the boxy feel to the map.
Major ViperOverLord

Postby koontz1973 on Mon May 28, 2012 3:44 am

ViperOverLord wrote:Maybe you should have a walk of fire in the middle with higher resetting neutrals. :ugeek: I just think that stuff like that could help to lose the boxy feel to the map.

Can you explain? What where and how it would work.

Reply by PM.
I haven't looked too closely at the details lately, but if you had like say a walk of fire (or if you can come up with an even more mystical name) and fill it with flames then it could animate the map some.

The only reference I have for Greek fire is Prometheus. The god that stole fire from Zeus. Right now I have Hades in the centre of the map. I think it would be OK to just swap these two names over and have the side of the large territ as the walk of fire as you describe. This would then give the 2 weapons and foods an added peril. Let me have a play with it and see what I can come up with.

EDIT: I tried to add the walk of fire to the map today. Just could not make it work, either the layout stopped working, text for said effect could not be reduced and so on. It seemed to similar to the normal decays and also the Medusa killer neutrals. So just some more in the way of graphic changes. Thanks for the idea though.
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby nebsmith on Mon May 28, 2012 1:50 pm

I like the killer neutral for Pegasus, so movement can't be blocked easily.
How about 5 neutral for the traps ?
Sergeant nebsmith

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon May 28, 2012 2:46 pm

This is probably a map I would avoid, but I think there definitely is some potential for it. I look forward to seeing some polished graphics.

If you wanted, you could ditch the 'movement' explanation, if you switched from squares to hexagons, since no corners would ever be touching and the movement would remain the same. Hexagons also have that old-style german board game feel, which this kind of has.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby chapcrap on Mon May 28, 2012 5:18 pm

The font still isn't the best I think. I'm no good with fonts and that type of thing, so I feel bad critiquing that part when I have nothing to suggest. What happens, is it looks like someone shrank the font down and it's just not showing up like a normal font.

And, I would try to make the starting positions even lighter. Kind of a light tannish color so the numbers can be seen.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby koontz1973 on Mon May 28, 2012 10:38 pm

nebsmith wrote:I like the killer neutral for Pegasus, so movement can't be blocked easily.
How about 5 neutral for the traps ?

Will add Pegasus to the killer neutrals.
5 for the traps, not really sure about this one as it would then mean more neutrals going over them than going around. No one would ever do it. But if I raise the centre 2 traps (H6,G11) to 2, this will go some way to evening out the drops from centre and corners.
AndyDufresne wrote:This is probably a map I would avoid, but I think there definitely is some potential for it. I look forward to seeing some polished graphics.

Shame you will avoid it but maybe one day I could persuade you to play a game?
AndyDufresne wrote:If you wanted, you could ditch the 'movement' explanation, if you switched from squares to hexagons, since no corners would ever be touching and the movement would remain the same. Hexagons also have that old-style german board game feel, which this kind of has.
--Andy

Never liked hexagons which is why I have never tried to use them. Kabs is far better at them. ;) I may not end up with squares at the end though, but right now they seemed the bast way forward. But removing the movement square should be OK and while that is being done, the impassable one could come out as well. But still looking at the legend for the best layout and wording.
chapcrap wrote:The font still isn't the best I think. I'm no good with fonts and that type of thing, so I feel bad critiquing that part when I have nothing to suggest. What happens, is it looks like someone shrank the font down and it's just not showing up like a normal font.

Which font are you taking about? The territ letters & numbers or the legend text? I find it hard to believe that you cannot read the legend font. Title font might be harder but that is just the title.
chapcrap wrote:And, I would try to make the starting positions even lighter. Kind of a light tannish color so the numbers can be seen.

Will do.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue May 29, 2012 9:16 am

Fair enough, I just think Hexagons are more userfriendly with the setup you have, since you won't need a legend to explain how to move around.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby chapcrap on Tue May 29, 2012 11:49 am

Andy might have a point about hexagons...

As far as the font, I was talking about the legend. I can read it, but it's not pretty. It doesn't look very good is all I'm saying.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby koontz1973 on Wed May 30, 2012 6:46 am

Going to change the font again :roll: and will change the squares.

I am going to stagger the columns of squares so they are all off set. This will give me the look I want and give Andy and Chapcrap the hexagons they want (Go back a page and look at level two for example). The other way would be to use normal territs on the board. This would really cut down on the number of territs as I would need to fit more into each region.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby patrickaa317 on Wed May 30, 2012 5:49 pm

I'm sure you know this but there is a computer game called Age of Mythology out there. (a kick ass game actually). I don't know if there are any copyright issues with using the same name or not. just throwing it out there just in case.

taking a break from cc, will be back sometime in the future.
Sergeant patrickaa317

Postby koontz1973 on Wed May 30, 2012 11:12 pm

I found that a couple of days ago. As for copyright, I would rather change the name than try to find out if it is copyrighted. Will change it for the next version. Should be over the weekend as it is having an overhaul.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Labarinth [3/6] V11 P4

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:17 am

Spent a week trying to convert this three times.
Hex grid - did not try very hard as I did not want it but it did not work.
Normal territs - again, did not work. This map is perfectly symmetrical so trying to get a difference with the territs did not work. It became very unbalanced.
Off set square grid - tried this but it moved too much in a direction I did not want.

Nothing changed in game play apart from making the god the winning condition. Graphical changes, well, not a single pixel was left untouched.
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby nebsmith on Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:44 am

I like it - when do I get to play ?
Sergeant nebsmith

Postby WILLIAMS5232 on Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:08 pm

i'm a colorblind person.
the a-n, and the 1-15 are hard for me to read. it seems to be near or close to the same color as the background.
even with the black outline it's still hard.

can i still read it? yes.
but i think if would be much better if you added some more blue or yellow tint to it.
i would still play it either way. i'd just have to squint.
Major WILLIAMS5232

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:41 pm

nebsmith wrote:I like it - when do I get to play ?

Soon I hope, but expect this one over the summer.
WILLIAMS5232 wrote:i'm a colorblind person.
the a-n, and the 1-15 are hard for me to read. it seems to be near or close to the same color as the background.
even with the black outline it's still hard.

can i still read it? yes.
but i think if would be much better if you added some more blue or yellow tint to it.
i would still play it either way. i'd just have to squint.

Thanks, I used my CB filters and they looked fine, but they are no substitute for the real thing. I will add that to the to do list for next update.
Lieutenant koontz1973

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas