Conquer Club

Dark Continent (Colonial Africa) [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Dark Continent (Colonial Africa) [3,31, 12] Pg. 38

Postby isaiah40 on Sat May 12, 2012 4:07 pm

Checked the large myself, everything looks good except Yaounde. You have it with the accent over the 'e' in the xml but not on the map. Lourenco Marques, in the xml you have the thingy under the 'c' but not on the map. I'll check the small later.

Also the troop numbers on Cairo and Luxor, can you move them to the left so they are not overlapping the Nile River.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby The Bison King on Sun May 13, 2012 9:28 am

Checked the large myself, everything looks good except Yaounde. You have it with the accent over the 'e' in the xml but not on the map. Lourenco Marques, in the xml you have the thingy under the 'c' but not on the map. I'll check the small later.

I don't know what those marks mean or how they're supposed to sound. I'm ok with removing them from the XML, but if they are important I can always re-insert them into the map.

Also the troop numbers on Cairo and Luxor, can you move them to the left so they are not overlapping the Nile River.

No, that was done intentionally to make it clear that the river was not an impasse for Egyptian territories.
Sergeant 1st Class The Bison King

Postby isaiah40 on Sun May 13, 2012 10:12 pm

The Bison King wrote:I don't know what those marks mean or how they're supposed to sound. I'm ok with removing them from the XML, but if they are important I can always re-insert them into the map.

I'm fine with what ever way you want to do it.

No, that was done intentionally to make it clear that the river was not an impasse for Egyptian territories.

Well you do have the territory names going across the Nile, so that shouldn't be a problem. You can place army circles there so that the numbers are not hard to see. You know people will complain about it, so let's fix it now. Do it one way or the other, we just need to make sure the numbers are easy to see.

Once these couple of things are done I'll get this stamped for you.

Edit: Checked the small, same issue with Cairo and Luxor. Everything else looks good, and unless I missed something, once you fixed these minor problems You'll get the stamp!!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby The Bison King on Sun May 13, 2012 11:07 pm

isaiah40 wrote:
The Bison King wrote:I don't know what those marks mean or how they're supposed to sound. I'm ok with removing them from the XML, but if they are important I can always re-insert them into the map.

I'm fine with what ever way you want to do it.

I'll just add the accents back in.

isaiah40 wrote:

Well you do have the territory names going across the Nile, so that shouldn't be a problem. You can place army circles there so that the numbers are not hard to see. You know people will complain about it, so let's fix it now. Do it one way or the other, we just need to make sure the numbers are easy to see.

Once these couple of things are done I'll get this stamped for you.

Edit: Checked the small, same issue with Cairo and Luxor. Everything else looks good, and unless I missed something, once you fixed these minor problems You'll get the stamp!!

Well, I'm not so sure people will complain about it. One of the complaints I've heard about Africa 2 is that some of the territories with rivers running through them are a little confusing. I think putting the numbers and name on the river is a way of making it as clear as possible that the river does not effect these regions. Now the clarity thing I totally understand, however I hate army circles. I used one on Celtic Nations and I kind of wished I hadn't. Instead I tried cutting the river away where the numbers will go. This way the numbers can sit across the river clearly. You can view this below. I hope this solution is satisfactory, if not we can figure something else out.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Postby koontz1973 on Mon May 14, 2012 12:31 am

From those images Bison, a suggestion would be to have one cut away only for the name and numbers. Just move the numbers nearer the name a tad and that should look better. As it is now, the river - name - river - number - river looks a little odd. ;)

Also, on the small, the number for Luxor could do with moving down a couple of pixels. It looks like it is sitting on the territ line.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby The Bison King on Mon May 14, 2012 9:06 am

koontz1973 wrote:From those images Bison, a suggestion would be to have one cut away only for the name and numbers. Just move the numbers nearer the name a tad and that should look better. As it is now, the river - name - river - number - river looks a little odd. ;)

Also, on the small, the number for Luxor could do with moving down a couple of pixels. It looks like it is sitting on the territ line.

This seems logical.

Postby ender516 on Mon May 14, 2012 11:53 am

TBK, if you update the cuts, I can shift the positions in the XML.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby The Bison King on Mon May 14, 2012 1:13 pm

ender516 wrote:TBK, if you update the cuts, I can shift the positions in the XML.

Done and done!
Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Postby iancanton on Thu May 17, 2012 1:20 am

is there any way u can make the river more squiggly between cairo and luxor? it looks a bit like a road at the moment, while the upper nile really does look like a river.

a few adjustments to names: great britain was great britain & ireland by this time (compare with austria-hungary); cape region was cape province; south namibia was namaqualand; kavango was ovambo or ovamboland (the ovambo people are about 50% of namibia's population); namibia was sĆ¼dwest-afrika; botswana was bechuana or bechuanaland; yaoundĆ© was jaunde; south africa ought to be southern africa; french sahara was known as french west africa.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Re: Dark Continent (Colonial Africa) [5,14, 12] Pg. 41

Postby The Bison King on Thu May 17, 2012 10:16 pm

iancanton wrote:is there any way u can make the river more squiggly between cairo and luxor? it looks a bit like a road at the moment, while the upper nile really does look like a river.

No, I think it's fine.

iancanton wrote:a few adjustments to names: great britain was great britain & ireland by this time (compare with austria-hungary); cape region was cape province; south namibia was namaqualand; kavango was ovambo or ovamboland (the ovambo people are about 50% of namibia's population); namibia was sĆ¼dwest-afrika; botswana was bechuana or bechuanaland; yaoundĆ© was jaunde; south africa ought to be southern africa; french sahara was known as french west africa.

Again I think the name should be fine the way they are. I'm sure that you could make 100 different arguments for 100 different names for each territory on this map. Most all of the names currently in use came directly from IH and I trust his expertise on the subject. I've double checked most all of them and I didn't find anything that was terribly out of sync with the time period and theme.

Postby ender516 on Thu May 17, 2012 11:23 pm

Yes, I think we have been around the post on the name issues already.

Postby ender516 on Sat May 19, 2012 9:57 pm

Here is the latest XML (it took a few tries to get Cairo just right):

http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/11/9/2644838/Colonial_Africa/Colonial_Africa_2.7.xml

and here are some test images:

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

So are we stamp-ready at last?

Postby isaiah40 on Sat May 19, 2012 11:16 pm

Concerning the names, I think that it can be left to the mapmaker decision. So without further ado, we can get this stamped!!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby The Bison King on Sun May 20, 2012 12:21 am

isaiah40 wrote:Concerning the names, I think that it can be left to the mapmaker decision. So without further ado, we can get this stamped!!

Hooray! Beta here we come!

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon May 21, 2012 9:54 am

This is a terrific looking and polished map. Great work TBK, Ender, and everyone else.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby The Bison King on Mon May 21, 2012 9:04 pm

Thank you. I'm really excited about this one. I think this will be my best one yet! Can't wait to get this into Beta.

Postby iancanton on Mon May 28, 2012 2:31 am

congrats, tbk!

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby The Bison King on Wed May 30, 2012 11:10 pm

Thanks, I know there's a lot of maps in Beta right now, but I hope it's soon.

Postby thenobodies80 on Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:50 pm

Beta - Quenching

---The Final Forge period has concluded for the Dark Continent Map. All objections have had their time. The Foundry and I hereby brand this map with the Foundry Beta Brand. Let it be known that this map is now ready for BETA Play. After an extended period of time in BETA and once all quirks and issues have been resolved, the map will be put into Full Play (barring any Lack vetoes).

Conquer Club, enjoy!

While the map is in BETA Play, there are a couple of administrative tasks that are required of the mapmaker(s) in addition to the initial gameplay testing:
    1. Please ensure that the first post of the thread contains all the necessary information to help future visitors to the development thread; it's particularly important to ensure the most recent images are there, along with any helpful guides (such as gameplay quirks/nuances or the location/size of any starting neutrals etc.)
    2. Finally, it is the responsibility of the mapmaker(s) to ensure that they respond to further feedback in a timely and constructive manner.

thenobodies80
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby The Bison King on Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:10 pm

HEY HEY HEY!!!!

Now that's some good news!

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:54 pm

congrats TBK :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby ender516 on Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:09 am

Three cheers! I can't wait for this to go live.

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:50 am

Many congrats.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby VicFontaine on Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:00 pm

Having played 2 games already, I can only think of one thing you really should alter:

Change the border between Austo-Hungary and Italy by a couple milli-meters to ENSURE, BEYOND ANY SHADOW of a doubt, that no one gets the two confused. As currently stands, the Italian flag bleeds into Austro-Hungary.

It's such a minor fix for such major benefits, I suggest doing it. Should only take a second, right?

Really like the map: you should be proud.
"It is a good day to die."
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby y2manypbr on Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:10 pm

Nice map!! i am color blind and review new maps and provide suggestions. there are different types of color blind problems so I do not speak as a final word. That being said, i like the legend, the map is easy to see, borders easy to identify, this map-from the point of color blind problems would be great to play.
Other than that, nice looking map, looks like fun!
Lieutenant y2manypbr

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas