Conquer Club

Strategy? what's that?

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Strategy? what's that?

Postby muchalls on Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:41 pm

I just got murdered in my past few games and none of it was strategy...it was down to some crazy dice...game on game on game....takes the fun out of it when you really can't get as far as strategising!!!

How about a "concede" button? that would help lots.....
Major muchalls

Re: Strategy? what's that?

Postby JBlombier on Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:53 pm

This is General Discussion (dice complaints) and Suggestions forum in one post. The average of GD and Suggs is of course the Strategy forum, so you're doing just fine.
Colonel JBlombier

Postby King Engineer on Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:17 pm

I made my self expert on Hive and Conquer Rome........but now only super good players join my game so mostly it ends up being all about dice/luck, but when not so experienced players join my game, it all comes down to strategy/team communication.

So maybe thats what's happening to you?
Colonel King Engineer

Postby Woodruff on Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:39 pm

King Engineer wrote:I made my self expert on Hive and Conquer Rome........but now only super good players join my game so mostly it ends up being all about dice/luck, but when not so experienced players join my game, it all comes down to strategy/team communication.

I like the way you think, King E! <laughing>
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby chang50 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:58 am

King Engineer wrote:I made my self expert on Hive and Conquer Rome........but now only super good players join my game so mostly it ends up being all about dice/luck, but when not so experienced players join my game, it all comes down to strategy/team communication.

So basically the more evenly matched the players the more short-term luck affects the result.I've seen players waste very good starting positions on maps I know well,losing games where it seemed hardly possible to.Better players win when things are in their favour on a regular basis.Weaker players fail to take full advantage of their luck as often,and occasionally maybe out of frustration start the dreaded dice bitching.
Captain chang50

Postby Viceroy63 on Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:41 am

I think that if it's just dice luck, then you have a 50% chance of winning your games which means that you should win half of your games in the long run if it's just luck.

But even with in just the luck games, there has to be a certain measure of strategy involved.

What is Strategy?

It's a way of analyzing your game and arriving at the best possible conclusion or conclusions, to proceed and play so as to gain an advantage in the game and win the game.

Or perhaps I am wrong?
An Unproven Hypothesis; The Rise of Ignorance.
Ultimate Proof of Creation. Click the show tab below.
show
Major Viceroy63

Location: A little back water, hill billy hick place called Earth.

Postby TDK on Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:17 am

Viceroy63 wrote:I think that if it's just dice luck, then you have a 50% chance of winning your games which means that you should win half of your games in the long run if it's just luck.

But even with in just the luck games, there has to be a certain measure of strategy involved.

What is Strategy?

It's a way of analyzing your game and arriving at the best possible conclusion or conclusions, to proceed and play so as to gain an advantage in the game and win the game.

Or perhaps I am wrong?

No, I think if it was pure luck you would win half of 1v1 games, a third of 1v1v1 games, and so on. But that discounts Strategy, and we haven't even mentioned Diplomacy yet.

That's a beautiful definition of strategy by the way.
Cadet TDK

Postby Extreme Ways on Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:16 am

If it was just pure luck, you could rape 3 games, and then lose 6 by just a lil... Or does that count as 'luck in the luck-factor'?
TOFU, ex-REP, ex-VDLL, ex-KoRT.
General Extreme Ways

Postby Viceroy63 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:13 am

Well, when I say luck I mean all things being equal. If two players who don't know how to play, play each other then 50% of the time they both win and lose. When a more experience player is then added to the 1vs.1 equation then the odds have to be altered accordingly.

Likewise two players, both at equal and the same strength of game play and strategy (say two generals) share in the same 50% win/lose ratio with each other.

In those cases then, they are just playing for fun and not for points although experience is also being gained by both players.
An Unproven Hypothesis; The Rise of Ignorance.
Ultimate Proof of Creation. Click the show tab below.
show
Major Viceroy63

Location: A little back water, hill billy hick place called Earth.

Return to Conquer Club Discussion