Conquer Club

CC Dispatch [Issue 73: 05-06-12] Hiphopopotamus VIII

All issues of the newsletter.

Moderator: Community Team

CC Dispatch [Issue 73: 05-06-12] Hiphopopotamus VIII

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:08 pm

Welcome Comrades to the 73rd edition of the Dispatch :)

Hello, hello! It's oh so good to be back. thehippo8 had me shut up in the cellar for a couple weeks, but I finally found out he never locked the door. Speaking of which, we have an interview from our dear Foundry Executive as we continue our series of interrogations of the Newsletter Executives. Next issue we have Tournament Executive, Dukasaur, followed by Clan Executive, Leehar!

Well, what's news these days? A number of maps have recently been quenched, including Patch Wars and Cuban Missile Crisis, and still more have finally hit Beta, including Dark Continent and Trench Warfare. Ha, how 'bout a Trench game on Trench Warfare? ;) In other news, former Conqueror and apparent five-thousand, twenty-fifth rapper, mc05025, blipped back on the radar as he briefly took the throne from well-known "bog-roller" apparent oral sex enthusiast, Gen.LeeGettinhed earlier this week.

And perhaps the saddest news this fortnight: I am ending our "Subscriber of the Issue" award. Sadly, only a couple users actually got their medals! But I've some good news for you for next issue! The Dispatch has partnered up with webmaster and resident turtle, lackattack, so expect an article from him next issue!

As for this issue, Viceroy63 and myself have conjured up an exciting article and discussion (that I hope you'll participate in!) about moderation, thehippo8 gives us a little history lesson on the 3rd of June, Dukasaur has an exciting "Meet the Tournament Directors" interview with Tournament Commissioner, Night Strike, along side another insightful edition of DaveH's Tournament Tips, Gunn217 has the latest clan standings, and Viceroy63 has partnered up with Academy Headmaster, dhallmeyer, to write a new column called, "Inside the SoC".

Enjoy the fruits of our laboring fingers!

Victor Sullivan
Chief Executive

We are actively seeking Writers and Reporters! The Tournament News Team is in particular need of Tournament Reporters! For your service as a Writer or Reporter, we'll give you a General Contribution medal every three months of solid contribution! So what are you waiting for?! Apply now!

If you would like to apply to join the news team, please visit the thread below for more details! :)

Click here for Recruitment Details...

Hello again Freestyle readers. Hope your finals went/are going well, and that you all are looking forward to a good summer. We have another scum insider and an interrogation with thehippo8 for you this issue. Also, a thought provoking article on the nature and scope of moderating. It should be interesting reading and definitely something open to community input.

As always, if you would like to write for the freestyle section or have any good article ideas, please send me a PM.

You Stay Classy, CC.

safariguy5
Freestyle Executive

The Scum Insider by safariguy5
show

Community Report: What It Means To Be A Moderator by Victor Sullivan and Viceroy63
show

show: Interrogation of thehippo8

Welcome to the 73 edition of the Strategy Section of the Conquer Club Newsletter. In this edition we introduce two new columns. Not every column will be seen in every edition but all articles will appear within their respective column. And we are sure to see many editions with the following two columns.

The first one is Classic Secrets! In which we will reveal glimpses of the many keys to successfully navigating and winning the Standard, Escalating, Classic Map that is taught in the SoC. In this issue we discuss, "The Drops!" So don't miss out on "Classic Secrets: The Drops" by me Viceroy63.

And in our 2nd newly created column we have news and reports from "Inside The SoC" so be sure to read the latest from the SoC Universe in "Inside The SoC" by Viceroy63 and Dhallmeyer.

The SoC list of Winners will not be presented in this edition due to changes in qualifications for the list. This is explained more fully in the announcements, "Inside The SoC." The SoC list of Winners will resume when there is a list of qualified SoC student winners to present. Thank You.

And; Enjoy!

Viceroy63
Strategy Executive

Classic Secrets: The Drops by Viceroy63
show

Inside the SoC by Viceroy63 and Dhallmeyer
show

Hello again my friends, and welcome to your favorite part of the Newsletter, "War Games", where you can find information about CC Tournaments!

In this issue, as I promised in the previous issue, I present to you my interview with Night Strike. This begins our new series of Meet the Tournament Directors, to go with our existing series of Meet the Tournament Winners and Meet the Tournament Organizers. Meanwhile, DaveH has produced another excellent article in his Tournament Tips, and WorldCup4James has gone ahead and revived our oldest series, Join This? Or Not!

I should point out that James was too modest to put a plug in for his own tournament, so I will do it for him: check out his 2012 World Cup tournament, successor to his very successful 2010 World Cup and 2011 World Cup, which was voted Best Mid-Sized Tournament of 2011 with a staggering 50% of the vote!

Dukasaur
Tournament Executive

Tournament Tips by DaveH
show: Updating winners

Meet the Tournament Directors: Night Strike by Dukasaur
show

Join this? Or Not! by WorldCup4James
show

Well I don't know about you, but I'm excited to have Sully back. Refer my interview if you want to know what the problem was!

This issue brings us another episode in koontz1973's continuing story of the ever-changing foundry. Lots and lots and lots and lots!! Meanwhile I take a look at the weekend that was. What did you celebrate? Was it Memorial Day, Queen's Birthday, did you commemmorate the first American to space-walk or was there something else for you?

Now, your mission if you will accept it, is to get into the foundry and start that idea, comment on that idea or show that you have no idea. Whatever you choose, remember the sage words of Abraham Lincoln:

I do the very best I know how - the very best I can; and I mean to keep on doing so until the end.

thehippo8
Foundry Executive

Foundry News by koontz1973
show

What's Where? by koontz1973
show

The 3rd of June: Map’s, Medals and Honour by thehippo8
show

We have our Monthly release of the latest F400 ranking with LHDD (courtesy of newcomers cup 2 final placing), and OSA (courtesy of their extreme activity) being the big climbers this week. Tofu's line-up has also pushed them up a spot, although they seemingly remain winless over top 10 opposition.

QS also gives us a wrap-up of the latest from the Conquerors Cup, with insights, opinions and reviews on the first round of clashes

Leehar
Clan Executive

F400 by Gunn217
show

CC3: Round of 32 by QuikSilver
show

Stay Tuned for the next issue of the ConquerClub Dispatch for an interrogation of Dukasaur. Post any questions you may have for them here --> Interrogation with Dukasaur

Submitting Your Own Articles

If you have a story you think the ConquerClub Community would find interesting, you can submit your articles to Victor Sullivan and you may just see your article published in the Newsletter!

Subscription

Did you enjoy this Issue? Have you subscribed to the Newsletter yet?

If you want each and every issue of the ConquerClub Dispatch delivered right into your Inbox, then Subscribe Here!

ConquerClub Dispatch Team

Corporal Victor Sullivan

Re: CC Dispatch [Issue 73: 05-06-12] Hiphopopotamus VIII

Postby TheGeneral2112 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:13 am

What does it mean to be a moderator? Well funny you should ask that. I will provide you with three definitions of a moderator from three different websites and you can tell me what you think a moderator should be and what some of the moderators on CC actually are.

Wikipedia:
    The mods are users of the forum who are granted access to the posts and threads of all members for the purpose of moderating discussion and also keeping the forum clean. Common privileges of moderators include: deleting, merging, moving, and splitting of posts and threads, locking, renaming, stickying of threads, banning, suspending, unsuspending, unbanning, warning the members, or adding, editing, removing the polls of threads. Essentially, it is the duty of the moderator to manage the day-to-day affairs of a forum or board as it applies to the stream of user contributions and interactions. The relative effectiveness of this user management directly impacts the quality of a forum in general, its appeal, and its usefulness as a community of interrelated users.

Urban Dictionary:
    Someone who moderates a chatroom or message board. There are generally five types of moderators:

1. Asswipe: Moderator that likes to punish members for little or no reason, harasses members and then punishes them for harassing back or questioning them, or is an asshole in general to those around him, not including his suckup friends, who will respond to his powerabuse with: "lol", "pwned bitch", or "wut a [censored]".

2. Strict Moderator: Follows the rules by the book, no exceptions. Any rule infraction spotted will be punished, often without warning. Normally dreaded.

3. Do-Nothing Moderator: Moderator that acts more like a member than a moderator, only intervening in serious matters that require mod attention. Usually ignores rule infractions for fear of angering the administrator or stricter moderators. Usually friendly.

4. Badass: Best moderator there is. They are fair, and will usually joke around and let things go if the intention of the rule infraction was not fitting with the reason the rule was created. However, if someone is being a total idiot, especially flaming, they will proceed to argue with them for the sole purpose of getting them to make a fool of themselves, often to the point of losing their cool and posting a last "FUK U ALL!!!!!" message, at which point there is much lulz and the nooblet gets b&.

5. Nutcase: Moderator that not only rarely enforces rules, but often breaks them themselves in the name of fun, or sometimes just out of boredom. Usually doesn't have modship for long, or is constantly scolded by other mods or the admin.

Encyclopedia Dramatica:
    In the world of Internet forums and messageboards, mods are the equivalent of policemen. In fact, the only difference is that they have no real authority except over their [censored] ass web sites. Ranking somewhere below administrators, they are assigned the task of ensuring the rules of the forum that they "moderate" are rigidly adhered to by the rank-and-file board membership while at the same time willfully ignoring these rules themselves. Given special powers by the board's administrators to assist them in this endeavor, it is common for these powers to be abused at a whim, and when the inevitable howls of protest follow, to use these same powers to silence dissent. In a nutshell, moderators partake in intense [censored].

There are a variety of tools that a moderator can employ in order to carry out his or her duties efficiently. These range from the basic (editing of posts, maybe even deleting of posts) to the advanced (locking of threads).
    These powers are there to be routinely abused; for example, a thread can be locked yet some moderators will still post on it regardless, denying a basic right of reply to the OP or the poster who apparently caused the thread to be locked in the first place.

As a result, moderators are often some of the worst internet trolls, which doesn't stop them from accusing others of trolling at every opportunity. Should a moderator start losing an argument on a thread, they will often use the aforementioned powers, in order to attempt to beat a dignified retreat. Either that, or go running to the admin.

TL;DR:
    Replace "Wikipedia" with whatever forum they moderate and this is what moderators actually believe.
TheGeneral2112
Community Member

And just when I thought there was no getting that one in the dispatch, it appears. VS is a pro.
Lieutenant TheGeneral2112

Postby Qwert on Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:26 am

Dont forget battle of antietam :)

Also why you dont have any news from CL4?
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Leehar on Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:21 am

qwert wrote:Also why you dont have any news from CL4?

We don't have a dedicated reporter for that, so I usually have to put in blurbs myself and didn't have time this issue with my own exams.
If you'd like to volunteer :?:
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby Qwert on Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:54 am

Leehar wrote:

We don't have a dedicated reporter for that, so I usually have to put in blurbs myself and didn't have time this issue with my own exams.

3 years i whas volunteer in map foundry, so its enough voluntaire for me. ;)
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:55 am

qwert wrote:
Leehar wrote:

3 years i whas volunteer in map foundry, so its enough voluntaire for me. ;)

Oh, come on now, qwert, the Newsletter is an entirely different entity! I think you could write a mean opinion piece ranting about the establishment in your typical Qwenglish®. :)

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Ffraid on Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:02 am

Best interrogation I ever remember reading. That is one amusing hippo.
Colonel Ffraid

Postby Gen.LeeGettinhed on Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:38 am

REFERRING TO:
"took the throne from well-known "bog-roller" apparent oral sex enthusiast, Gen.LeeGettinhed earlier this week."

1) "Bogrolling": was a term introduced to replace FARMING. Farming is playing UNRANKED NEW RECRUITS. I don't do that.
2) "apparent oral sex enthusiast": refers to Gen.LeeGettinhed. If I was that, wouldn't my ID be GenerallyGettingHead?

Now on another point, isn't "sex enthusiast" sort of . . .repetitive, since MOST people are enthusiastic about sex?

GLG
. . . . . .(turned in as Flaming)

Then, is Sulli an editor or a gossip columnist? NORMALLY editors are unbiased (no way with him) and gossip and editorials pocketed off of page 1. Not very professional, Sulli. Finally, I'd think that CC Org leaders (Sulli) ought to be held to a higher standard (listening Night Strike?) than players.

Them's my thoughts, GLG
Field Marshal Gen.LeeGettinhed

Location: Guantanamo Bay, Cuba (just south of El USA -- that's Spanish for The USA)

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:08 pm

I think you're overreacting, GLG, 'twas in jest. And I'm not technically a Team Leader, so your last point is moot.

Frankly, GLG, I think you just look for ways to complain and accuse. I can't stop you, but I will say that it would make your CC experience more enjoyable if you just relaxed. And besides, I don't think there's anything I can say that will change people's opinions of you. Only you can do that.

Have a nice day,

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby codeblue1018 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:22 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:I think you're overreacting, GLG, 'twas in jest. And I'm not technically a Team Leader, so your last point is moot.

Frankly, GLG, I think you just look for ways to complain and accuse. I can't stop you, but I will say that it would make your CC experience more enjoyable if you just relaxed. And besides, I don't think there's anything I can say that will change people's opinions of you. Only you can do that.

Have a nice day,

-Sully

Won't ever happen.
Lieutenant codeblue1018

Return to Newsletter Issues