Conquer Club

What video/computer game are you currently playing?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: What video/computer game are you currently playing?

Postby whitestazn88 on Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:55 pm

slowly picking through skyrim, looking to get mass effect 3 soon, but i don't like to spend money on games when I only play like 2 hours a week. def gonna get the last of us though.

and hoping to get a new laptop/pc sometime in the next few months to play that diablo 3, but i don't want to spend money on a new rig when the one i've got right now is usable for everything i need aside from gaming.
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby Woodruff on Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:18 am

whitestazn88 wrote:slowly picking through skyrim, looking to get mass effect 3 soon, but i don't like to spend money on games when I only play like 2 hours a week. def gonna get the last of us though.

and hoping to get a new laptop/pc sometime in the next few months to play that diablo 3, but i don't want to spend money on a new rig when the one i've got right now is usable for everything i need aside from gaming.

You say "aside from gaming" as if that matters.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby DiM on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:04 am

Army of GOD wrote:
greenoaks wrote:i am trying to play Civ 5 but Steam is giving me the shits

I feel like V was a downgrade from IV. I can't stand their decision to remove religion.

+1

i can't stop thinking they did it to somehow become more politically correct and at the same time dumb down the game.

however once i heard they plan an expansion it was clear they only did it for profit.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/02/16/civilization-v-expansion-adds-religion-spies.aspx

once the expansion is out i'll give civ5 another chance and maybe this time it will sit on my hdd more than a few days.
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:12 am

whitestazn88 wrote:looking to get mass effect 3 soon, but i don't like to spend money on games when I only play like 2 hours a week. def gonna get the last of us though.

don't bother with ME3. it's slightly better than ME2 but still nothing more than a mediocre game (at best).
it's so dumbed down it makes me sick. it's not an rpg it's not a 3rd person shooter. it's repetitive and frankly even the graphics kinda suck. all you do is use the same weapon throughout the game, you always shoot from cover because the level designers made sure you have a crate, a mound of debris, or something else. even advancing from A to B is actually a series of jumps from one cover place to another. a completely artificial feeling. oh and they ruined the illusive man.
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby whitestazn88 on Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:41 pm

DiM wrote:
whitestazn88 wrote:looking to get mass effect 3 soon, but i don't like to spend money on games when I only play like 2 hours a week. def gonna get the last of us though.

don't bother with ME3. it's slightly better than ME2 but still nothing more than a mediocre game (at best).
it's so dumbed down it makes me sick. it's not an rpg it's not a 3rd person shooter. it's repetitive and frankly even the graphics kinda suck. all you do is use the same weapon throughout the game, you always shoot from cover because the level designers made sure you have a crate, a mound of debris, or something else. even advancing from A to B is actually a series of jumps from one cover place to another. a completely artificial feeling. oh and they ruined the illusive man.

well gosh, i just wanted another chance at boning tiara or whatever that alien body suit wearing chicks name is. thanks for ruining it for me.
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby tkr4lf on Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:51 pm

Gonna be giving Red Dead Redemption a go here in a few days. Looking forward to that, as the youtube videos have all looked cool as hell.
Major tkr4lf

Postby Gillipig on Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:54 pm

One thing I've noticed is how little graphics really matters. If the story is good the game can get away with poor graphics.
Take Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic as an example. Made in 2004 but still fun to play because of how good the storyline is. Now take Star Wars Force Unleashed. Much better graphics but awful story! Only played something like 30 minutes before I got bored of it.
It's wonderful with a game like Elder Scrolls V Skyrim because it has both. Good graphics and good storyline.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby tkr4lf on Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:07 pm

Gillipig wrote:One thing I've noticed is how little graphics really matters. If the story is good the game can get away with poor graphics.
Take Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic as an example. Made in 2004 but still fun to play because of how good the storyline is. Now take Star Wars Force Unleashed. Much better graphics but awful story! Only played something like 30 minutes before I got bored of it.
It's wonderful with a game like Elder Scrolls V Skyrim because it has both. Good graphics and good storyline.

Skyrim's story isn't all that. It's ok, but it's nothing compared to previous ES games.

I agree with you on the story over graphics part though, and also about KoToR...that's one of my favorite games.
Major tkr4lf

Postby DiM on Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:25 pm

tkr4lf wrote:Gonna be giving Red Dead Redemption a go here in a few days. Looking forward to that, as the youtube videos have all looked cool as hell.

make sure you get the undead nightmare dlc. i dare to say that this expansion is even better than the game and red dead redemption is an awesome game. =D>
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:36 pm

Gillipig wrote:One thing I've noticed is how little graphics really matters. If the story is good the game can get away with poor graphics.

sadly this is mostly valid for old gamers.

just look at game sales and you'll see nice graphics and massive marketing are all that matters these days.

youngsters don't have the patience to read elaborate stories, take part in long dialogues or challenge their brain for hours to solve a puzzle. they don't want to explore, they want to be guided, they don't want to read pages of text, they want action and finally they don't want to be challenged, they want everything handed to them on a platter filled with lots of achievements.
Major DiM

Postby tkr4lf on Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:30 pm

DiM wrote:
tkr4lf wrote:Gonna be giving Red Dead Redemption a go here in a few days. Looking forward to that, as the youtube videos have all looked cool as hell.

make sure you get the undead nightmare dlc. i dare to say that this expansion is even better than the game and red dead redemption is an awesome game. =D>

Unfortunately I don't have a choice as to what I get to play. My nephews are coming to visit and bringing their xboxes, so I asked my brother to send the game down with them so I can play it. I'm not sure if he has the GotY edition or not, so I may or may not be able to play the zombie part. Either way, I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

DiM wrote:

just look at game sales and you'll see nice graphics and massive marketing are all that matters these days.

youngsters don't have the patience to read elaborate stories, take part in long dialogues or challenge their brain for hours to solve a puzzle. they don't want to explore, they want to be guided, they don't want to read pages of text, they want action and finally they don't want to be challenged, they want everything handed to them on a platter filled with lots of achievements.

Unfortunately, this is the truth. And thus most new games are crap.

It's one of my biggest gripes about Skyrim/Oblivion. At least in Morrowind you actually had to pay attention to directions from your questgivers, since no icon popped up on screen telling you where to go. Hell, I remember searching for hours for some damn cave out in the Molag Amur, before I finally gave up and looked online. Turns out due to a mistake, the questgiver gave faulty directions lol. Still, it was more realistic than some arrow pointing you to all of your quests.
Major tkr4lf

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:57 pm

Good storyline? Really?

Remember in Oblivion, when you start in a prison, and the emperor is like "whoa, man, you're the one. derp, so come along, let's get outta here!" ? WAT

So, in Skyrim, let's put you in a wagon, as a prisoner, to be executed... Insert action/escape scene! OH MAN! TOTALLY DIFFERENT!! SO ORIGINAL!! What's with the prisoner beginning? Does it ever get stale? Can these people be any less creative???

For these games, and their storylines, my standard is Fallout 1 and Fallout 2. The dialogue in Skyrim just sucks. You can't really say anything funny, or witty, or astute. It's just nothing. Your dialogue options are bland and stale. You may as well say 1, 2, 3, or 4, and they'll the respond differently.

With these games, it's about eye candy. That's what most people want. As far as good stories go, they've been completely lacking in this industry. Give the people good graphics, and they'll think anything associated with it (dialogue, storyline) is good.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:59 pm

DiM wrote:

word.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Symmetry on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:03 pm

The Humble indie Bundle is up and running again, for peeps who are interested in gaming.

http://www.humblebundle.com/

Always some good games, and you pay what you want.

A little over 8 bucks will get you Psychonauts and Braid, worth the price alone, but there are always extras.
Last edited by Symmetry on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Timminz on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:07 pm

Symmetry wrote:The Humble indie Bundle is up and running again, for peeps who are interested in gaming.

http://www.humblebundle.com/

Always some good games, and you pay what you want.

+1
Captain Timminz

Postby Army of GOD on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:11 pm

Red Dead is an awesome game tk. One of my favorite video game storylines.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:27 pm

B&M session is over. Thanks, Sym!
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby Symmetry on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:37 pm

5 more days on it this year- worth picking up.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Maugena on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:24 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:I'M CHEAP. So I'm full of Free To Plays.

Team Fortress 2 is the most notable, though, I guess I do have some games borrowed from my friends. Beat Skyward Sword a while back, but other than that, I'm not much of a gamer (I play Brawl regularly, but that's a party game so it doesn't count).

-rd

I've been living the life of free to plays for a while here... Strictly speaking, by the games you listed off, I'd say we'd probably get along well.
Where do you live? :o

Also: If anyone wants to add me on Steam, you can find me by e-mail name - transient_glory281@yahoo.com - I'm Baron von Roflstein
Last edited by Maugena on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Renewed yet infused with apathy.
Let's just have a good time, all right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjQii_BboIk
New Recruit Maugena

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:27 pm

Major BigBallinStalin

Postby Maugena on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:29 pm

DiM wrote:

Minecraft is super win. <3 <3 <3 (Not being sarcastic, really like the game.)
New Recruit Maugena

Postby TheMrAwesome on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:40 pm

World of Tanks :)
Private TheMrAwesome

Postby Maugena on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:45 pm

TheMrAwesome wrote:World of Tanks :)

Yeah, that game is pretty awesome, but I just don't feel like having another huge game on my PC at the moment... :(
I should stop being so fucking picky and just install it.
New Recruit Maugena

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:49 pm

Conquer Club.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Army of GOD on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:03 am

if you want free and cheap (though, not legal) torrent some early pc games. Games like Red Alert, Duke Nukem, Wolfenstein 3D, etc. that don't have the advanced anti-piracy shit that modern games have.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,