Conquer Club

What's with the TD's power trip

Where dead threads are laid to rest - No new topics, no new posts allowed

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

What's with the TD's power trip

Postby greenoaks on Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:57 pm

Has anyone else noticed the TD's are on a power trip?

They no longer put tournaments on the Tournament tab.

Gone are the days when we posted what our tournaments ARE. Now we have to tell the world what our tournaments ARE NOT.
Sergeant greenoaks

Re: What's with the TD's power trip

Postby Night Strike on Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:10 pm

I counted 45 open tournament threads in the Create/Join forum and 40 open tournaments in the database. 4 of those threads are new tournaments that don't have any mod-icons (meaning they haven't been handled yet). So that means only 1 tournament is not in the database.

So where is the power trip?
Major Night Strike

Postby IcePack on Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:34 pm

I think he's talking about the lack of announcement that we MUST included trench / no trench info for every tournament. It's not in a handbook or an announcent that I can find, but ever since Lindax spat everyone required to include it now for some reason but we weren't informed we had to to begin with.

We can literally copy and paste old tournaments that ran successfully / were approved (like a series) and all of a sudden there isn't enough info....

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby greenoaks on Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:46 pm

Night Strike wrote:I counted 45 open tournament threads in the Create/Join forum and 40 open tournaments in the database. 4 of those threads are new tournaments that don't have any mod-icons (meaning they haven't been handled yet). So that means only 1 tournament is not in the database.

So where is the power trip?

then you can't count. here's 2

Best At Beta: Dark Continents
Watch, and learn: Madagascar

both tournaments tell you what they are but are not in the database because of the TD's power trip requiring tournaments must now say what they are not.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Night Strike on Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:53 pm

So I miscounted by 1. Sheesh.
Major Night Strike

Postby Night Strike on Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:05 pm

Actually, I counted correctly, but there must be a mixup in the database or something. The database says there are 38 open tournaments (not counting play-now) and I just counted 43 threads, with 4 of them being new.
Major Night Strike

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:57 am

IcePack wrote:I think he's talking about the lack of announcement that we MUST included trench / no trench info for every tournament. It's not in a handbook or an announcent that I can find, but ever since Lindax spat everyone required to include it now for some reason but we weren't informed we had to to begin with.

We can literally copy and paste old tournaments that ran successfully / were approved (like a series) and all of a sudden there isn't enough info....

After round limits were introduced, people had to start specifying whether or not they would use round limits. Now there's trench, and you have to do the same. It's perfectly logical: it is a setting, and therefore it needs to be specified.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Lindax on Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:42 pm

Obviously I have a pretty good idea what goes on the Tournament Department. I wouldn’t call the current mess a power-trip, but it’s clear that there are TDs that abuse their power and for certain TDs the power has gone to their heads. The latter is something I warned the Team Leader about a long time ago.

First the Trench issue. It should be sufficient to state the settings you use and it shouldn’t be necessary to state the settings you don’t use. There was obviously a recent change in policy (if you want to call it a policy), whereby one now has to state whether one uses Trench or not. A change introduced without any announcement and a very inconsistent change at that. Contrary to what Dukasaur says, it was never necessary to state that you did not use a Round Limit. Even if it was, then apply it to all settings, including Round Length. Practically none of the tournaments state the Round Length.

This whole thing stems from me filing several complaints, one of which was about a certain TD not posting enough info in his tournament threads. That TD registers and approves tournaments and should at the very least give the right example. But, he doesn’t even know what a bracket is or what bracket-styles are.

As for the Tournament Department as a whole: It has become more and more of a joke. There are more TDs than ever, yet less and less gets done or done in a timely manner. The Team Leader is unprofessional, an incompetent leader and never has the time for anything. One example, the Tournament Handbook was supposed to be rewritten long ago. Nothing has happened there for a long time now. I even offered to do it, since I have time this summer, so far I have not even received an answer. Not that I’m still prepared to do it after what has been going on recently.

Some of the TDs, including the Team Leader have abused their power on various occasions. Some of the TDs are incapable of separating personal feelings from their tasks as TDs. In short, it’s a mess. I have filed complaints about those issues as well, but we all know how TeamCC works.

For the record, there are some TDs who do a great job and are on the ball. Including one I never wanted in the team when I still was a member. He positively surprised me.

I know me writing any of this does not actually matter, nor will it achieve anything. I do think however, that TOs should be aware. I also don't intend to discuss any of this here, I'm merely voicing my opinion.

The only thing I can do is stop organizing tournaments, which is precisely what I will do until the Tournament Department will have a competent leader with time to get things done, and the TDs who abuse their power and are otherwise incompetent are no longer part of the team.

Do with this as you may. The above is my personal opinion and I know that not everybody will see it the same way. On the other side I do know that there are quite a few TOs and even TeamCC members that agree with me. They are simply not coming forward for whatever reason.

Lx
"Winning Solves Everything" - Graeko
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby greenoaks on Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:23 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
IcePack wrote:I think he's talking about the lack of announcement that we MUST included trench / no trench info for every tournament. It's not in a handbook or an announcent that I can find, but ever since Lindax spat everyone required to include it now for some reason but we weren't informed we had to to begin with.

After round limits were introduced, people had to start specifying whether or not they would use round limits. Now there's trench, and you have to do the same. It's perfectly logical: it is a setting, and therefore it needs to be specified.

No they were not and they still aren't.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby IcePack on Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:04 pm

Dukasaur wrote:

I didn't have to write whether or not I was using round limits, but I've seen multiple tournaments being held up for not listing trench info. So, which one is it? The handbook doesn't address either, you think its one thing and I think its another, and I'm sure other people think something completely different as well.

You can have a series that has gone before and was a successful tournament, and now you "dont have enough info". I UNDERSTAND what your saying, but it needs to be consistant. And as the site impliments new features, if you're going to require info from TO's then the handbook should be updated at the same time...

IcePack

EDIT: apparently Lindax and green basicallly already covered this.

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby 6_roller on Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:38 am

Lindax wrote:Obviously I have a pretty good idea what goes on the Tournament Department. I wouldn’t call the current mess a power-trip, but it’s clear that there are TDs that abuse their power and for certain TDs the power has gone to their heads. The latter is something I warned the Team Leader about a long time ago.

First the Trench issue. It should be sufficient to state the settings you use and it shouldn’t be necessary to state the settings you don’t use. There was obviously a recent change in policy (if you want to call it a policy), whereby one now has to state whether one uses Trench or not. A change introduced without any announcement and a very inconsistent change at that. Contrary to what Dukasaur says, it was never necessary to state that you did not use a Round Limit. Even if it was, then apply it to all settings, including Round Length. Practically none of the tournaments state the Round Length.

This whole thing stems from me filing several complaints, one of which was about a certain TD not posting enough info in his tournament threads. That TD registers and approves tournaments and should at the very least give the right example. But, he doesn’t even know what a bracket is or what bracket-styles are.

As for the Tournament Department as a whole: It has become more and more of a joke. There are more TDs than ever, yet less and less gets done or done in a timely manner. The Team Leader is unprofessional, an incompetent leader and never has the time for anything. One example, the Tournament Handbook was supposed to be rewritten long ago. Nothing has happened there for a long time now. I even offered to do it, since I have time this summer, so far I have not even received an answer. Not that I’m still prepared to do it after what has been going on recently.

Some of the TDs, including the Team Leader have abused their power on various occasions. Some of the TDs are incapable of separating personal feelings from their tasks as TDs. In short, it’s a mess. I have filed complaints about those issues as well, but we all know how TeamCC works.

For the record, there are some TDs who do a great job and are on the ball. Including one I never wanted in the team when I still was a member. He positively surprised me.

I know me writing any of this does not actually matter, nor will it achieve anything. I do think however, that TOs should be aware. I also don't intend to discuss any of this here, I'm merely voicing my opinion.

The only thing I can do is stop organizing tournaments, which is precisely what I will do until the Tournament Department will have a competent leader with time to get things done, and the TDs who abuse their power and are otherwise incompetent are no longer part of the team.

Do with this as you may. The above is my personal opinion and I know that not everybody will see it the same way. On the other side I do know that there are quite a few TOs and even TeamCC members that agree with me. They are simply not coming forward for whatever reason.

Lx

I agree with a lot of what you've said, I've also seen a lot of this power tripping where the good of the players/tourney/game are over looked for the case of the rules being interpreted badly.

In short if the rules mean there are less games played, less happy players and more abandoned tournaments, then either:

a) The rules are wrong.
b) The way they are interpreted is wrong.

I won't even go into the fact that rules get interpreted in different ways for different occasions and for different players.

For me, there should be a rating button for the TD's/Team and if you have an interaction with them, then you can rate them, well or poorly, and for those TD's with consistant bad scores...well the customer speaks.

I think in a lot of cases some of the TD's care more about blind observance of the rules, rather than applying some common sense and getting on with enjoying a GAME!

rant over.

IF you want specifics, pm me.
Sergeant 6_roller

Return to Tournament Archives