Conquer Club

%$#&#%*&%^&( DICE

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: %$#&#%*&%^&( DICE

Postby nietzsche on Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:19 pm

Explain this:

Game 11224507

I was handed Australia (with Jakarta blocked by a neutral) and 3 territories of South America, and Mexico City was blocked by a neutral. By the end of round 1 I have both Australia and South America, including 9 in Sao Paulo.

But, with what I can just call incredible dice, in a streak of 5 rounds, gave the win to red. It was not little thing, it was amazing.

This needs to be fixed.
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby jgordon1111 on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:01 pm

nietzsche wrote:Explain this:

Game 11224507

I was handed Australia (with Jakarta blocked by a neutral) and 3 territories of South America, and Mexico City was blocked by a neutral. By the end of round 1 I have both Australia and South America, including 9 in Sao Paulo.

But, with what I can just call incredible dice, in a streak of 5 rounds, gave the win to red. It was not little thing, it was amazing.

This needs to be fixed.

I have found that on the few occassions I have gotten a bonus at the start of the game I lose,because the dice have a way of evening things out against you fast. I learned to be alot more wary in those instances. and I finally learned to not auto assualt. Not saying you auto assaulted,just saying it finally dawned on me that was a fantastic way to lose alot of freaking troops fast.
Private jgordon1111

Postby chang50 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:08 am

jgordon1111 wrote:
nietzsche wrote:Explain this:

Game 11224507

This needs to be fixed.

I have found that on the few occassions I have gotten a bonus at the start of the game I lose,because the dice have a way of evening things out against you fast. I learned to be alot more wary in those instances. and I finally learned to not auto assualt. Not saying you auto assaulted,just saying it finally dawned on me that was a fantastic way to lose alot of freaking troops fast.

This has happened to me too,now I play extremely cautiously after a very good starting position,the time to throw caution to the wind is when your given a hopeless position 'cos there is nothing to be lost.
Captain chang50

Postby HardAttack on Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:42 am

Pirlo wrote:another dice bitching thread!

Screw you complainers.

- Erect PENIS!

+2 :lol:
LEGENDS of WAR
Colonel HardAttack

Postby nietzsche on Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:19 pm

So a guy just attacks my 14 with a 6, he loses 1, kill all my 14 men.

Game 11227177

You'd think, well, nietzsche must play a lot of games and is only selecting those in which dice gets streaky. Well, no, I don't play that much..
General nietzsche

Postby Robinette on Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:31 pm

Omigosh... this is so silly...

I looked at the title of this thread:
%$#&#%*&%^&( DICE
and i thought "oh yeah, finally"
but then i see it's nietz playing 1v1 games,
complaining about BOTH good dice AND bad dice...

and so then I'm like,
"what the heck? this isn't about %$#&#%*&%^&( DICE,
it's more like it's about $#%^&*$#*** DICE

if you know what i mean
;)
Brigadier Robinette

Postby nietzsche on Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:46 pm

mods, please delete the previous post
General nietzsche

Postby Robinette on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:12 pm

nietzsche wrote:mods, please delete the previous post

%$#&#%*&%^ nietzsche...
Brigadier Robinette

Postby jgordon1111 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:16 pm

This is the flip side nietzsche, Game 11229233 This is why players are leaving CC these dice were about as random as flies crapping on rotten vegetables.

He joins a tournament expecting to play some games and have fun. How much fun do you think its going to be for him when he comes back to the game.

Round 2 and he has no chance in hell of even getting a card.

Before everyone goes, well you could have let him etc,. Think about it,this is a perfect example of making a player say F, CC this is bullshit.

once I realized his defense dice were shit, I put him there just for this topic to show what the dice bitching is about,for those of you who apparently dont get these kind of random dice against you.
Private jgordon1111

Postby Robinette on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:44 pm

you know,
it sounds to me like you want less streaks,
and FIVE six sided dice are loaded with streaks.

so what if instead of dice
we had an option to use a coin flip
then the streaks would be greatly reduced.

clearly would not eliminate streaks,
but it would greatly reduce them
(think 2 sided dice)

There is another site that has a no dice option,
so no RISK factor at all.
You don't want that.

But it won't happen,
and i don't need 3 lines to say it,
because one line says it all...
Brigadier Robinette

Postby SaviorShot on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:48 pm

jgordon1111 wrote:This is the flip side nietzsche, Game 11229233 This is why players are leaving CC these dice were about as random as flies crapping on rotten vegetables.

He joins a tournament expecting to play some games and have fun. How much fun do you think its going to be for him when he comes back to the game.

Round 2 and he has no chance in hell of even getting a card.

Before everyone goes, well you could have let him etc,. Think about it,this is a perfect example of making a player say F, CC this is bullshit.

once I realized his defense dice were shit, I put him there just for this topic to show what the dice bitching is about,for those of you who apparently dont get these kind of random dice against you.

That kinda shit happens when u play on lux...

If u don't like dice then why play a dice game?
Colonel SaviorShot

Postby nietzsche on Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:15 am

Robinette wrote:you know,
it sounds to me like you want less streaks,
and FIVE six sided dice are loaded with streaks.

so what if instead of dice
we had an option to use a coin flip
then the streaks would be greatly reduced.

clearly would not eliminate streaks,
but it would greatly reduce them
(think 2 sided dice)

There is another site that has a no dice option,
so no RISK factor at all.
You don't want that.

But it won't happen,
and i don't need 3 lines to say it,
because one line says it all...

you should marry ned flanders, victor sullivan and andy dufresne.

Something's wrong. Something is just not normal, like when you actually roll the dice in RL.

I suggest myself for consulting the dice thing here in CC.

Somewhere in the logic a mistake was made, some fucking pointer must be lost in the limbo pointing to atmospheric poop instead of atmospehric noise. A friend of mine is slowly getting out of a mild depression because he finally found the cause of a very rare error that gave him 6 months of grief, he works for oracle and if they can get these problems, I guess php CC can too.
General nietzsche

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:37 am

I just rolled some dice in real life. I can report I did not have a favorable roll. :( :( :(

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby nietzsche on Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:25 pm

General nietzsche

Postby jgordon1111 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:16 pm

News to report then,I played the boardgame version this past weekend, I went for Aus with 80 troops to the 50 my opponent had there. Wait for it, wait for it, oddly enough I won. Go figure how that happened. Even better I had 22 left after the attack and swept the rest of the board with his cards.

I was greatly pleased when I assaulted jakarta and found my 80 did not turn into 3 with my opponent 12 left. Which lead to me telling them some of the CC stories and what happens quite often with random dice,My buddy chad laughed and said he wished I would have had random dice when I attacked him.
Private jgordon1111

Postby Robinette on Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:52 pm

Bad dice can happen anywhere...

Sounds like you guys have something in common with this guy:

Brigadier Robinette

Postby jgordon1111 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:25 pm

Robinette wrote:Bad dice can happen anywhere...

LMAO, but seriously that kind of crap hasnt happened to me in rl playing risk. I might lose a couple of throws,but I have never in rl had an entire game that I couldnt get a card or been taken out in the first round of a game.
Private jgordon1111

Postby nietzsche on Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:46 am

Those of you who keep saying that don't stop to think about it anymore, you are being arrogants.

You take us like idiots, and make little jokes for others to see.

Do you think I don't understand random? I do.

What I'm saying is that dice is way too streaky here. Over time it does even out, which is normal, but the problem with the streaks is that you might get shitty dice when it matters, and once you are dead, you get super really good dice and the stats even out, but the problem is the fact that it was streaky.

I remember reading somewhere the way it was taken from random.org and how they make some moves to accomodate it that seriously didn't make any sense to me at the time, but I won't say they are wrong in that because I didn't give it much thought, but what it did seem to me is that the numbers could be just taken how they were given by random.org

I'm asking you politely to stop making those "subtle" jokes, to you and to andy. If you want to call me idiot directly, that's fine with me, and it suits me better.
General nietzsche

Postby chang50 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:26 am

nietzsche wrote:

Those of you who keep saying that don't stop to think about it anymore, you are being arrogants.

What I'm saying is that dice is way too streaky here. Over time it does even out, which is normal, but the problem with the streaks is that you might get shitty dice when it matters, and once you are dead, you get super really good dice and the stats even out, but the problem is the fact that it was streaky.

I remember reading somewhere the way it was taken from random.org and how they make some moves to accomodate it that seriously didn't make any sense to me at the time, but I won't say they are wrong in that because I didn't give it much thought, but what it did seem to me is that the numbers could be just taken how they were given by random.org

I'm asking you politely to stop making those "subtle" jokes, to you and to andy. If you want to call me idiot directly, that's fine with me, and it suits me better.

Of course the dice are streaky,as I understand it this is an inevitable feature of any random allocation of numbers, but do you have any evidence that they are streakier for some players more than for others,then you would have an excellent point?
Captain chang50

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:49 am

(new avatar for nietz)
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:25 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:Image

(new avatar for nietz)

Dice go in, dice go out. Unexplainable indeed.

--Andy

Postby nietzsche on Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:50 pm

chang50 wrote:
nietzsche wrote:

Of course the dice are streaky,as I understand it this is an inevitable feature of any random allocation of numbers, but do you have any evidence that they are streakier for some players more than for others,then you would have an excellent point?

You are right in this, unless there was some way to make a log of every dice battle we really can't. And I believe that's because of the way the code is, it's not possible to implement this without making a big change. The pros of such a change would be that we could get conclusive proof that the dice is or not working correctly, that is not that streaky as some of us think, and that we could replay games, that'd be cool.

The cons, well, a lot of time to implement the changes in the code, the lots of space that would be required (not sure how much really, perhaps 5 times what it takes to log everything else) and of course the I/O reads and writes x 5. Also, we could tell if in a game a player was greatly favored by the dice, which would take some credit from him.. I don't know if that's good or bad...

I know about selective memory, randomness implies that there will be streaks, it's not like you first get a 1, next a 2, a 3, 4, 5 ,6 and then you get a 1 again. Streaks are normal in everything random, the problem is longer than normal streaks.

I too played the board game before joining here, and don't recall the dice being this streaky.
General nietzsche

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:45 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:Image

(new avatar for nietz)

Dice go in, dice go out. Unexplainable indeed.

--Andy

Andy, why do bad dice happen to good people?
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:46 am

nietzsche wrote:You are right in this, unless there was some way to make a log of every dice battle we really can't. And I believe that's because of the way the code is, it's not possible to implement this without making a big change. The pros of such a change would be that we could get conclusive proof that the dice is or not working correctly, that is not that streaky as some of us think, and that we could replay games, that'd be cool.

The cons, well, a lot of time to implement the changes in the code, the lots of space that would be required (not sure how much really, perhaps 5 times what it takes to log everything else) and of course the I/O reads and writes x 5. Also, we could tell if in a game a player was greatly favored by the dice, which would take some credit from him.. I don't know if that's good or bad...

The issue really isn't the time to code, it is the size of the data I think. We process more than a 1 million assaults a day. :shock: :|

--Andy

Postby zimmah on Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:56 am

nietzsche wrote:

you are an idiot but i still agree with you on this subject.

as far as i know, random.org creates a batch of numbers (each of them 5 numbers long) and selects 1 number from the list and than throws away the number after use. however, that's exactly opposite to random. they should not throw away numbers after use.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

PreviousNext

Return to Conquer Club Discussion