Conquer Club

3 islands [15/6] P2

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

3 islands [15/6] P2

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:05 am

Map Name:No name as yet
Mapmaker(s):koontz1973
Number of Territories:58
Special Features: :lol:
What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made:?

Map Image:
Size for large map - 840/800
Size for small map - 630/600
Click image to enlarge.

show: some selected previous images for you all to laugh at
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Latitude Longitude [10/6]

Postby nebsmith on Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:10 pm

Interesting - I am already thinking of tournament ideas for the 4 map series.
Sergeant nebsmith

Postby nolefan5311 on Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:32 pm

I like it, and this one should move through the Foundry pretty quickly. I think you should update the graphics one or two more times before we move it into the MFW.
Captain nolefan5311

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:46 pm

So, what exactly are these islands? Are they completely fictional? Why is this called "Latitude Longitude"?

Right off the bat, I can tell you your combined map will not have very good gameplay, given the movement between islands. If there are three people, each with their own island in, say, a No Spoils game, it would be tragically long-winded. You could consider going the route of Evil DIMwit's Four Corners map concept, requiring each player to have a presence in each island (I think that's how he was going to do it - it's been awhile).

Second, I think it would be terrible if the Southern Island map were approved for 1v1-only. Just because it has less than 24 territories doesn't mean it should be approved for 1v1. Seems like abuse of the 1v1-only option for maps (think of this).

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:09 pm

nebsmith wrote:Interesting - I am already thinking of tournament ideas for the 4 map series.

Thanks.
nolefan5311 wrote:I like it, and this one should move through the Foundry pretty quickly. I think you should update the graphics one or two more times before we move it into the MFW.

This is not going to move quickly. I need to get a lot done before this is even worthy of the foundry, let alone getting it moved on. ;)
Victor Sullivan wrote:So, what exactly are these islands? Are they completely fictional? Why is this called "Latitude Longitude"?

Right off the bat, I can tell you your combined map will not have very good gameplay, given the movement between islands. If there are three people, each with their own island in, say, a No Spoils game, it would be tragically long-winded. You could consider going the route of Evil DIMwit's Four Corners map concept, requiring each player to have a presence in each island (I think that's how he was going to do it - it's been awhile).

Second, I think it would be terrible if the Southern Island map were approved for 1v1-only. Just because it has less than 24 territories doesn't mean it should be approved for 1v1. Seems like abuse of the 1v1-only option for maps (think of this).

-Sully

So far, the islands are fictional.
The reason for Latitude Longitude, is so that the maps tie in to one another. As long as there is something apart from the graphics that matches.
The movement between the islands still needs work. I did not want to go down Evils route as that is his route. But I will have a read of his thread and see what was discussed.
The 1v1 map option is only one option. As for being an abuse of the 1v1 option. :?
Bloody hell Sully, no way in hell can you accuse me of being generous with the pixels. The combined map is standard size, the 3 small maps are the standard size for the small map and these are the large maps. Before you accuse me of that, remember I still need to make the small map for each of the maps.

What I am thinking and as soon as the forth map is up, I will post it, but I was thinking of a different style of GP for each of the islands. If that proves to differcult, then having 3 more small 24 territ small maps seems a little tedious to me. Who really wants to have 3 more maps this size at once.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:15 pm

Lol, I think you misunderstood what I meant by the link. I simply meant apply what MrBenn said there to the 1v1 thing. Anywho, I know my wording was a bit strong, but I assure you, I don't mean to dog on your map.

I like your last idea about creating different gameplay for each island. Could be cool. You could do something like have an overarching theme for the three islands and a theme within that overarching theme for each island (e.g. the overarching theme could be "time", and the islands are different periods of time (Northern could be medieval/past, Central Island could be modern/present, Southern Island could be post-modern/future).

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:21 pm

Not to worry Sully, just got out of bed and read the posts, so my head is not to clear.

With time, how would that work for the larger map? Poor northern island using sticks against southern's ray guns
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:34 pm

koontz1973 wrote:Not to worry Sully, just got out of bed and read the posts, so my head is not to clear.

With time, how would that work for the larger map? Poor northern island using sticks against southern's ray guns

*chuckle* It was just an idea. You can think of something else that fits. You could do an island that's mountainous, an island that's forest-y, and an island that's desert-y. Or, you could do an island that's uninhabited and ruled by jungle and rainforest, an island that's inhabited by multiple villages of tribal peoples, and an island that's been developed and industrialized. Just spitting out ideas to get your brain moving!

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:38 pm

The first one is what I was going to try, Desert, grass, blah blah blah. Will put that onto the list for when the graphics need to be sorted.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:42 pm

Well, it may be something to think about for gameplay purposes, if you wan each island to be different in gameplay as well as theme/graphics.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:04 am

Will give it some thought this week. Still need to get the north island up (today sometime).

When that is up, we can look at GP options for each and then work the graphics for each one. But the more I think of it, your time theme sounds more like a winner.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:07 am

koontz1973 wrote:Will give it some thought this week. Still need to get the north island up (today sometime).

When that is up, we can look at GP options for each and then work the graphics for each one. But the more I think of it, your time theme sounds more like a winner.

*tries to high-five his brain*

*slaps himself unconscious*

-Zzzzz...
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:15 am

Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Latitude Longitude [11/6]

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:55 am

The first map is the main map that consists of 3 islands. Right now, graphically they look horrendous but this will change. I am not too concerned with the graphics for this one yet. Game play wise, it will be a normal map with continent bonuses and standard deployment. Reinforcements will be 1 for every 3 territs. The only difference to a normal map is that you can only travel from island to island through Jumbo. This is a killer neutral set at 15. Another way to connect the maps is with the airports. Am thinking about dropping Jumbo and have the connections like this- North 1 - Central 1 - Central 2 - South 1 - South 2 - North 2. All would be one way attacks which should make getting around the board slightly harder.
show: 3 islands

The first small map is the North island. This one like the 3 island map will be standard game play. With 24 territs on it, the drops will be fair for all game sizes. There will be 8 positions of 3 territs each (max of 2 given out). I will put a 2 neutral into each bonus zone.
show: north island

The central island will be slightly different. Going to put on some symbols for this map and make it a winning condition map. 5 symbols dealing with ?. Where to put them ?.
show: Central island

The last map. This is going to change the most. Size needs to be larger, territs need to be increased to 24. Would like this one to have a losing condition placed onto it. Like the winning condition though, still need to work out the game play mechanics for it.
show: southern map

All of this may just be ramblings of a mad man, but it helps me to get ideas if I write it all down.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Latitude Longitude [11/6]

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:48 pm

Just an update to the Central island for now. This is the large version for the Central island map. Now has the required 24 territs. Going to come up 3 a story for the 3 islands, and split it between the 3 small maps. So this will get the middle part.
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: No name as yet [11/6]

Postby ManBungalow on Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:06 pm

koontz1973 wrote:
Click image to enlarge.

The names on that image are great.

But really, there's nothing special about any of these maps. We already have 100+ maps with standard gameplay. Many of them were made just to represent a certain geographical area, but these islands are completely fictional..
Why not put your skills to better use on a more interesting project ?
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:15 pm

ManBungalow wrote:Why not put your skills to better use on a more interesting project ?

This was my initial thought, since there are a lot of more interesting (in my opinion) maps that have been abandoned and are ready for someone to take up the helm.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby nebsmith on Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:27 pm

I find the idea of three different styles of gameplay on the three maps interesting, particularly if they are kept for the 3 island 4th map.

1. Winning condition
  2. Losing condition
  3. Standard

Though I am not sure it would be possible to keep the conditions on the three islands the same for the three island map. It's an intriguing idea though.
Sergeant nebsmith

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:22 pm

ManBungalow wrote:The names on that image are great.

But really, there's nothing special about any of these maps. We already have 100+ maps with standard gameplay. Many of them were made just to represent a certain geographical area, but these islands are completely fictional..

AndyDufresne wrote:
ManBungalow wrote:Why not put your skills to better use on a more interesting project ?

This was my initial thought, since there are a lot of more interesting (in my opinion) maps that have been abandoned and are ready for someone to take up the helm.

--Andy

You are both right, as for interesting ideas out in the melting pot, there are tons that have not been done yet. But this is just my initial ideas for these maps. Give me some time to get the initial ideas down and give each of the islands there own unique fell and style of GP.
nebsmith wrote:I find the idea of three different styles of gameplay on the three maps interesting, particularly if they are kept for the 3 island 4th map.

1. Winning condition
  2. Losing condition
  3. Standard

Though I am not sure it would be possible to keep the conditions on the three islands the same for the three island map. It's an intriguing idea though.

Keeping all three of the GP styles on the big map is OK, I would need to spread the WC and LC over the three though.

Will get the GP sorted for the 3 small maps finished this week. Only two more days of school then a summer to concentrate. :D
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:35 pm

koontz1973 wrote:
ManBungalow wrote:The names on that image are great.

AndyDufresne wrote:

--Andy

You are both right, as for interesting ideas out in the melting pot, there are tons that have not been done yet. But this is just my initial ideas for these maps. Give me some time to get the initial ideas down and give each of the islands there own unique fell and style of GP. Also, when have I ever really tried to do something the same as someone before.
nebsmith wrote:I find the idea of three different styles of gameplay on the three maps interesting, particularly if they are kept for the 3 island 4th map.

1. Winning condition
  2. Losing condition
  3. Standard

Keeping all three of the GP styles on the big map is OK, I would need to spread the WC and LC over the three though.

Will get the GP sorted for the 4 maps finished this week. Only two more days of school then a summer to concentrate. :D
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby danfrank on Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:34 pm

Nice graphics :!:
Corporal 1st Class danfrank

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:49 pm

danfrank wrote:Nice graphics :!:

Funny man you are. :lol:
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: No name as yet [14/6]

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:20 pm

Updates to the North island (conquest GP)
Click image to enlarge.

South island.
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:41 pm

The win condition for the North Island doesn't make for a very practical and feasible objective. It would be better if you slimmed it down to 2 sets, then maybe provided a smaller incremental bonus. Perhaps you could go the route of pairs instead of sets? Have five pairs instead of three sets, award +2 per pair, then make the win condition to hold three pairs? Just a thought. Regardless, you gotta make that objective easier.

And do you suppose you could make the region names G-rated? :sick:

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:45 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:The win condition for the North Island doesn't make for a very practical and feasible objective. It would be better if you slimmed it down to 2 sets, then maybe provided a smaller incremental bonus. Perhaps you could go the route of pairs instead of sets? Have five pairs instead of three sets, award +2 per pair, then make the win condition to hold three pairs? Just a thought. Regardless, you gotta make that objective easier.

And do you suppose you could make the region names G-rated? :sick:

-Sully

Like the ideas of the pairs and will add do that this weekend. Why G rated names, these are real places. But I take what you mean and can tone them down some. Just needed names for now and something funny, just went with it.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Next

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas