Combine all the articles in a series in one thread

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Combine all the articles in a series in one thread

Postby greenoaks on Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:15 am

Concise description:
  • Combine all the articles in a series in one locked thread

Specifics/Details:
  • series such as DaveH's Tournament Tips should be put in 1 thread with an index in the 1st post

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • i don't have to open every friggin newsletter to find another related article i want to read
Sergeant greenoaks

Re: Combine all the articles in a series in one thread

Postby chapcrap on Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:19 am

I wouldn't be opposed to this... Maybe I can help with this, as far as DaveH's stuff goes.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby DaveH on Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:42 am

Thanks for the feedback, mate - glad that someone reads them and hopefully finds bits of interest!

I have already archived the tips into two sets of articles, as suggested by Dukasaur, but at the moment they are in the Newsletter section, so not visible to everyone.

I tried to archive into one set of articles, but they are now so long I keep coming back with error messages whan I try and add an article to the original set, even though individually they are OK.

However, as soon as I am back from holiday, I'll see how we can make them available in one of the public forums.

Dave
Corporal DaveH

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:52 am

Yes, Dave has all the articles archived in groups. I was planning to move his archive into a forum accessible to more people, such as the TO Usergroup and/or Tourney Q&A, once the series is finished. However, if there is popular demand, and if Dave doesn't mind, we could do it sooner.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby greenoaks on Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:44 am

the thread should be made available now + Dave's articles should end with a link to that thread. that's free advertising to a captive audience. :-$

i was thinking it would look like the CC Tournament Handbook ie. the first post is a Table Of Contents with links to the relevant posts. when an article is published in the newsletter a new post is added to the thread and a link to it included in the first post.

i was thinking it would be in the Newsletter forum but i like your idea Dukasaur of putting it in the Tournament forum. it should be stickied.

do you have a name for the thread?
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:26 pm

greenoaks wrote:the thread should be made available now + Dave's articles should end with a link to that thread. that's free advertising to a captive audience. :-$

i was thinking it would look like the CC Tournament Handbook ie. the first post is a Table Of Contents with links to the relevant posts. when an article is published in the newsletter a new post is added to the thread and a link to it included in the first post.

i was thinking it would be in the Newsletter forum but i like your idea Dukasaur of putting it in the Tournament forum. it should be stickied.

do you have a name for the thread?

Tentatively we've just been calling it the Dave's Tips Archive. I know, it's not particularly creative..:)

Anyway, Dave is on vacation for another week. He promises when he comes back he'll assemble an index for it and we'll get it posted.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby greenoaks on Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:17 am

as much as i'd like to give credit to Dave imo youshould go with something more inclusive of future contributors as it would allow others to have their tips or articles added to it.

Newsletter Tournament Tips

the index could say who the different authors are. it would also allow chapters in addition to the excel tips on things like add-ons or use of outside sites (random.org, challonge, etc)
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:22 am

It's not a bad idea, although the details will take some work, so don't expect it overnight. But I'm already running the Q&A Library in the TO Usergroup, and in addition to the Dave's Tips archive we also have the Amazzony's Tips archive in the newsletter vaults, so I can see somehow linking them all in a kind of grand spiderweb of articles, including also the Tournament Handbook and other things.

Still, how to organise it efficiently will take some thought. Don't expect me to move too fast on it.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby chapcrap on Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:07 am

Dukasaur wrote:It's not a bad idea, although the details will take some work, so don't expect it overnight. But I'm already running the Q&A Library in the TO Usergroup, and in addition to the Dave's Tips archive we also have the Amazzony's Tips archive in the newsletter vaults, so I can see somehow linking them all in a kind of grand spiderweb of articles, including also the Tournament Handbook and other things.

Still, how to organise it efficiently will take some thought. Don't expect me to move too fast on it.

I can offer my assistance.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby greenoaks on Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:48 am

Dukasaur wrote:It's not a bad idea, although the details will take some work, so don't expect it overnight. But I'm already running the Q&A Library in the TO Usergroup, and in addition to the Dave's Tips archive we also have the Amazzony's Tips archive in the newsletter vaults, so I can see somehow linking them all in a kind of grand spiderweb of articles, including also the Tournament Handbook and other things.

that's the thing about vaults, they get forgotten.

chapcrap wrote:I can offer my assistance.

hey, that's twice chap has offered assistance. a third time is legally binding, right.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby DoomYoshi on Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:40 pm

Interesting that I was just thinking of doing this, but found there was already a suggestion.
â–‘â–’â–’â–“â–“â–“â–’â–’â–‘
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:30 pm

Forgot all about this. Getting on it now...:)
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:08 am

If there are other article series that you'd like us to compile, feel free to let me or the appropriate Executive know. I'm sure we'd be able to do it faster than the speed of lack! *chuckle*

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby agentcom on Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:00 pm

Can we move this to IMPLEMENTED then? Are there more article series left to compile?
Colonel agentcom

Postby chapcrap on Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:55 pm

agentcom wrote:Can we move this to IMPLEMENTED then? Are there more article series left to compile?

Well, DaveH's work is compiled. I'm not sure what else they have.

viewtopic.php?f=89&t=178308
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby greenoaks on Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:44 pm

The Scum Insider

Issue 73 - Stalling the Lynch Wagon
Issue 71 - How to Interpret Scenes
Issue 65 - LYLO or MYLO

and there are many more of those in the 2nd part of each article that should be collated into 1 thread.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby agentcom on Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:37 pm

Damn, I was just about to move this to IMPLEMENTED, but I'll wait a little longer cuz GO just proved that some more requests might roll in.
Colonel agentcom

Postby greenoaks on Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:42 pm

has The Scum Insider been merged yet ?
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby chapcrap on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:49 am

I know we got DaveH's tournament stuff done. Do more of these articles need their own published threads still? Can we have someone from the Newsletter Team look into this.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:53 am

Just looking at this when chap sent the PM. :lol:

Not sure if anything from the foundry part needs to be put together. But if anything crops up that you all want done, then let me know.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:12 am

It's a fairly labour-intensive process. Dave's is done because Dave is a workhorse and invested the time and effort to do it. Others are not done because others don't wish to invest that much time and effort. In an all-volunteer situation, it isn't possible to demand that they do so. That's really what it boils down to. Until some way is devised to automate this process, I wouldn't expect it to be done consistently, because people of the required level of dedication don't come along every day.

Even if all existing articles series were done in this way, there would always be new ones, so if you're waiting for them all to be done it isn't going to happen.

Besides Dave's we also have an archive of Amazonny's Tournament Tips, but I haven't bothered moving them to a public forum because they are very old and some of the information is out of date.

In order to really mark this implemented, one of the techies would have to devise a tool that would make it easy to archive and index articles, so that the various section editors could do it on a routine basis.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby chapcrap on Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:24 am

Dukasaur wrote:In order to really mark this implemented, one of the techies would have to devise a tool that would make it easy to archive and index articles, so that the various section editors could do it on a routine basis.

I don't really know what type of automation could be done for this. I think none.

What needs to be done is a lot of labor and time. If that can't be devoted, then that's fine, but I don't see an automated process really working out. Maybe a tech person will tell me I'm wrong...
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:35 am

chapcrap wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:In order to really mark this implemented, one of the techies would have to devise a tool that would make it easy to archive and index articles, so that the various section editors could do it on a routine basis.

I don't really know what type of automation could be done for this. I think none.

What needs to be done is a lot of labor and time. If that can't be devoted, then that's fine, but I don't see an automated process really working out. Maybe a tech person will tell me I'm wrong...

It's just moving around text blocks. If a techie wanted to work with me I could outline the steps needed quite quickly. WordPerfect can do this (and if WP can do it, I'm sure MSWord and the others can too) but WordPerfect codes are not even close to being compatible with phpBB codes.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Return to Archived Suggestions