Conquer Club

Classic Secrets: The Drops

The SoC Training Academy and its Training Grounds provide basic training for new and old members looking to enhance their game strategy. "Train a Cook today, lose to a Sergeant tomorrow"

Moderator: Academy Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Viceroy63 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:40 pm

by Viceroy63

Is there such a thing as the “Perfect Drop?” The kind of drop that you can step back from and say, “How could I possibly lose this game, with a drop like this?” Or how's about the reverse? Can there exist the worse possible drop ever, that you just can't possibly win with? What if all of your drops are within the same continent; The same bonus zone? Would that be a good thing or a bad thing? To a large degree, the answer lies in the type of game settings involved.

For example, if you were playing Trench Warfare with no spoils then it would be nice to have all of your drops fall inside of the same “BZ” (Bonus Zone) as that would facilitate the conquest of that BZ, which in turn would provide for extra troops in the long run to win the game. In a game with no spoils the conquest of a BZ becomes of paramount importance in the game. But what about the kind of games that we play in the "SoC" (Society of Cooks)? The SoC teaches from the classic escalating game map. Does it matter then? Yes it does. A great deal in fact. Only from a very different perspective.

The escalating setting allows for the spoils trade to determine, to a very large degree, who wins the game. But that does not mean that a certain amount of strategy and the initial drops in the game have nothing to say in the matter. In fact the initial drops have a lot to do with who wins but don't always have the final word. It can be likened to a process of elimination that begins with the initial drops, continues with Strategy and Position and finishes off with the finely timed spoils. Being proficient at each step of the way assures you of being ready for the final spoils that will win you the game. It all begins, with the drops.

'SoC Hand Book,' wrote:“Prime territories are places that have lots of connections and few bottlenecks; in an ideal game, you would have a stack in NA, Europe, Africa, and Eastern Asia. Below is our prioritized list of territories, but it is subject to your other placements. You don't want your stacks to be too close together or to hold ALL the prime territories because then you will be an easy target.

NA: Chicago, Edmonton, Vancouver, Havana, Montreal, LA, New York, Anchorage, Mexico City.
Europe: Moscow, Istanbul, Berlin, Reykjavik, Madrid, London, Stockholm.
Africa: Nairobi, Dakar, Lagos, Cairo, Cape Town, Johannesburg.
Asia: Dubai, Hong Kong, Novosibirisk, Delhi, Manila, Magadan, Beijing, Astana, Bangkok, Mumbai, Yakutsk, Tokyo.
SA: Sao Paolo, Bogota, Lima, Buenos Aires.
Oz: Jakarta, PM, Perth, Sydney.

This is strictly from an offensive mindset. There will be times when you want to have Buenos Aires or Johannesburg as a defensive stack that is hard to get to for the other players. Also sometimes it is necessary to hold a choke point such as Bangkok, Magadan, or Reykjavik to prevent other players from getting into certain areas where they could make a kill.”

Prime territories are places that have lots of connections and few bottlenecks because they provide more options to attack from. They also make it easier to card because there are so many surrounding regions, so that we have a choice. Tucked away in a corner may provide some safety but not a whole lot of attacking and carding options.

We can't always drop in the "MPT" (Most Prime Territories) available, but we can always strive to be close to one just in case. The point is to be in places that provide us with the most opportunities to card and eventually attack from, while we wait for that perfect set of Spoils to drop in on us.
An Unproven Hypothesis; The Rise of Ignorance.
Ultimate Proof of Creation. Click the show tab below.
show
Major Viceroy63

Location: A little back water, hill billy hick place called Earth.

Re: Classic Secrets: The Drops

Postby lt.Futt on Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:20 pm

There are more considerations for escalating. In my opinion the SoC way are the best. If all players in a game play the SoC way, you'll have "the perfect game". However this is certainly not the reality always. To secure the optimal game, you likely need to call in graduates lounge else you'll experience very much irrational play. In a non-SoC game you may have a nice initial drop but if people hit random stacks, the winner become more random.

There are different factors that influence on the outcome. The number of combinations of these factors must be unknown. The best way must be It's not over 'till it's over.
Major lt.Futt

Postby Viceroy63 on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:13 pm

Good Note! It's not over till it's over and anything can happen. I also agree with that as well.
show
Major Viceroy63

Postby macbone on Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:20 am

I've looked at drops and thought, wow, awesome! But I've never looked at a drop in Classic Escalating and thought I'd win based solely on that.

However, if you have a great drop and you're lined up to take out a player who plays one or two spots after you, and that player can't take you out, and you get a set when you need it, that's pretty awesome. =)

Poor drops include drops where all your territories are out in the middle with no hideaways, or drops where you don't have anything in the western hemisphere and no easy way to get there. Mediocre drops include drops with nothing east of Dubai-Moscow. It's much more difficult to win when you don't have good positioning.
Colonel macbone

Postby ben.cleuch on Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:12 am

In a non SoC game I prefer not to have single terts in Oz S America, the easy bonus zones. Because even high ranked players tend to go for the bonus early on. Even if you hold 2 on Oz pplayers still go after it regardless. In the forums many players are convinced Oz is the holy grail and go for it regardless. The best drop for me would be one where the other players are fighting it out for the bonuses. But that does not happen that often.
Sergeant 1st Class ben.cleuch

Postby macbone on Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:46 am

I think it depends on the game, ben. At higher levels of play (major and above), you rarely see players go for those bonuses, and having a tert in Oz or SA can be very useful when it comes to terminating other players there.

In an SoC game, I'd rather not have terts in the small continents, but in a higher-rank game, I'd actually like to have maybe Chicago or Vancouver, one of Istanbul/Dubai/Moscow, maybe 2 terts in small bonuses, and something near Hong Kong.

But yeah, you're right - when playing against lower ranks, it's often better not to have terts there.
Colonel macbone

Postby Viceroy63 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:54 am

It seems we are just going to have to have a follow up article. All of the good stuff is coming out now. Lol.

Macbone, some specialy reason why you prefer to have something near Hong Kong? :D
show
Major Viceroy63

Postby Kiwi_NZ on Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:52 pm

Viceroy63 wrote:It seems we are just going to have to have a follow up article. All of the good stuff is coming out now. Lol.

Macbone, some specialy reason why you prefer to have something near Hong Kong? :D

The mind boggles to why ... :lol:

From memory, the few,yes few games,I've won have been from oz or on rare few games,when someone opened the gate an let the horse out,but forgot to close the gate shut (close out game)
Cadet Kiwi_NZ

Return to SoC Training Grounds