Conquer Club

Mafiascum

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Mafiascum

Postby Yomiel on Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:07 am

What are you linking to? I got banned, even though I was being major-harassed by them. Their treatment of new members is atrocious.
New Recruit Yomiel

Postby pancakemix on Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:28 am

Banned=Blocked? Geez...

Basically, the idea is that walls of text are bad (depends on the wall of text, but I'm very guilty of the bad kind sometimes...) and that people should automatically know why you're voting, or something.

I subscribe to a milder version of this, in that I think who someone votes for and the timing of it matters far more than any kind of justification they can raise. I'll often vote without any stated reason, in the hope it will cause people to look at my target and figure out for themselves why I suspect them. Most often, though, they just go 'Derp no reasons, that's scummy, vote Fonz.'

I found that quote amusing.
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Postby Yomiel on Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:46 am

For me, they were always targeting me right off. No matter what reasons I gave or how much proof showed otherwise, they'd say I was just going after people who had attacked me. And then, just before my ban, they started getting mad at me because I kept saying I found a players words or actions "weird". Even when I pointed out that that was no different than them finding the same things "suspicious", they kept at it. It was insulting that they never took my opinion seriously.

I also got voted for for lynching just because of posting a lot, even though they were relevant posts. One girl I was in a game with harassed me especially, then took a clear shot at me by restricting how many posts we could make. She eventually changed the rule to limit only non-game-related posts just before we started, but then in the middle of the game, she was unhappy with the result and demanded I stop posting. I politely told her this was unfair, and she replaced me in the game.>_<
New Recruit Yomiel

Postby aage on Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:03 am

Cases and pro-town play is in my experience a big stinking bag of wifom that you should not open under any circumstances, and when someone else does, run as fast as you can in the opposite direction. Allowing people to criticise your gameplay is one thing, but allowing them to decide your meta is just wrong... And for as long as I've played the game, nobody ever claimed that trying to get scum lynched was bad for town.
Sergeant 1st Class aage

Postby pmchugh on Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:25 pm

Haha, I can see why they came to that conclusion. If you play this game to death then most top players don't give anything away. Any time you try to make a case against a vet it deteriorates to a wall of text that gets you nowhere, if you were frequently playing in games full of vets I can see why this would change.
2009-08-12 03:35:31 - Squirrels Hat: MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
2009-08-12 03:44:25 - Mr. Squirrel: Do you think my hat will attack me?
Major pmchugh

Postby Yomiel on Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:20 pm

It hardly excuses how they act. In the end, they trolled, threatened, flamed, and so on.

They're unwilling to give new members a chance. I've played Mafia a lot, and I've had some pretty impressive victories. Aside from the stuff I mentioned above, they just say you're Town or Mafia, then convince themselves your gameplay proves it. Odds are they're right due to their usually being only two options. And even if they are wrong, they just say you're a bad player and had to die.@_@

By the way, anyone know how to stay logged in? It's frustrating having to log back in every few hours.
New Recruit Yomiel

Postby pancakemix on Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:54 pm

Yomiel wrote:It hardly excuses how they act. In the end, they trolled, threatened, flamed, and so on.

They're unwilling to give new members a chance. I've played Mafia a lot, and I've had some pretty impressive victories. Aside from the stuff I mentioned above, they just say you're Town or Mafia, then convince themselves your gameplay proves it. Odds are they're right due to their usually being only two options. And even if they are wrong, they just say you're a bad player and had to die.@_@

By the way, anyone know how to stay logged in? It's frustrating having to log back in every few hours.

Well, they don't have a very high opinion of us, so you're in good company.

There might be a script that could keep you logged in over here.
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Postby Yomiel on Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:08 pm

I didn't see anything, and I think I've logged in from the main page before. But this is off-topic, so I should ask in another section.
New Recruit Yomiel

Postby thechuck51 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:33 pm

I've played two games over at MS.

the first was a "newbie" game and over all I enjoyed it but the players tended to be so full of themselves and their abilities.

the second game I subbed into a 12 player game (as mafia). a couple of town guys were being a little annoying and the other town players just crushed them all and we (the mafia) more or less sat back and let them mis-lynch players for reasons not related to being scum. a nice easy win. The highlight was a guy who originally claimed CPR doctor then day 2 changed his claim to 1 shot vig. These guys almost lynched him D2 for not shooting N1. he survived by promising to shoot the next night. We roleblocked him and he was lynched about 45 minutes after D3 started.

i dont think I will play over there again for a while. I find the games here much more to my liking.
Sergeant 1st Class thechuck51

Postby Yomiel on Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:26 pm

There are too many forums in general where the staff let the members get away with terrible things, but that site is one of the worst. It's been really hard finding a decent place to play Mafia. I recall I got banned off of one forum because we were having a chat in the shoutbox about our dislike of the forum skins. Not even a rude discussion-perfectly civil. And when I contacted the admin, he was so nasty to me.
New Recruit Yomiel

Postby pmchugh on Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:29 pm

Yomiel wrote:There are too many forums in general where the staff let the members get away with terrible things, but that site is one of the worst. It's been really hard finding a decent place to play Mafia. I recall I got banned off of one forum because we were having a chat in the shoutbox about our dislike of the forum skins. Not even a rude discussion-perfectly civil. And when I contacted the admin, he was so nasty to me.

Well no one here will ban anyone, unless you are a complete knob.
Major pmchugh

Postby Yomiel on Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:14 pm

I'm still trying to recover from their abuse. They trolled me in several topics at once and sent me dozens of PMs, making lewd comments and telling me to cut my throat. They were bragging about the fact that they drove one of their former members to suicide in a similar way, and talking about things like hurting kids.
New Recruit Yomiel

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:44 pm

pancakemix wrote:Super Necro Bump, awaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy!

But out of curiosity, I wandered over there for a bit. Apparently, cases are scummy now.

lshicastr. from that thread:

The Fonz wrote:Broadly, this. Plus the idea that town has gut reads, intuitions, and can act impulsively, whereas scum wants to go to painstaking length to show that they have 'good reasons' for acting as they do. The basic premise is that cases rarely actually convince anyone who wasn't going to find the behavior scummy anyway. What they can do is give scum cover for sheeping. You can say in a line or two why you think something's scummy, and people will either agree with you or not. Cases lead to point-by-point rebuttals which lead to point-by-point justifications, which lead to TL/DR.

I subscribe to a milder version of this, in that I think who someone votes for and the timing of it matters far more than any kind of justification they can raise. I'll often vote without any stated reason, in the hope it will cause people to look at my target and figure out for themselves why I suspect them. Most often, though, they just go 'Derp no reasons, that's scummy, vote Fonz.'

This explains some n00bs' behaviour when they come into a game and go VOTE PCM after the joke vote stage with no reasons and think it's standard procedure. Oh, how different internet cultures can be.
Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to defeat all evil. -Ephesians 6 KJV

My Smiley: ( :) ) --- it's got SHIELDS!

everywhere116 wrote:You da man! Well, not really, because we're colorful ponies, but you get the idea.
Sergeant shieldgenerator7

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:52 pm

Yomiel wrote:I'm still trying to recover from their abuse. They trolled me in several topics at once and sent me dozens of PMs, making lewd comments and telling me to cut my throat. They were bragging about the fact that they drove one of their former members to suicide in a similar way, and talking about things like hurting kids.

Wow that's terrible. I agree this site is much better in that regards.

I wonder if we could infiltrate that site in a big group, say play a a small 10 player game and only allow players who have played CC mafia in, and then get a whole bunch of people to come over here. (then again, do we want those players over here? surely they can't all be bad, and we could have a test game to see how they play). Results: infiltration and conquering of MafiaScum, and a surplus of players here. Thoughts?
Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to defeat all evil. -Ephesians 6 KJV

My Smiley: ( :) ) --- it's got SHIELDS!

everywhere116 wrote:You da man! Well, not really, because we're colorful ponies, but you get the idea.
Sergeant shieldgenerator7

Postby Yomiel on Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:12 pm

I don't think we want those players here. And some may seem nice, but they can have hidden dark sides.
New Recruit Yomiel

Postby safariguy5 on Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:20 pm

shieldgenerator7 wrote:
pancakemix wrote:Super Necro Bump, awaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy!

But out of curiosity, I wandered over there for a bit. Apparently, cases are scummy now.

lshicastr. from that thread:

The Fonz wrote:Broadly, this. Plus the idea that town has gut reads, intuitions, and can act impulsively, whereas scum wants to go to painstaking length to show that they have 'good reasons' for acting as they do. The basic premise is that cases rarely actually convince anyone who wasn't going to find the behavior scummy anyway. What they can do is give scum cover for sheeping. You can say in a line or two why you think something's scummy, and people will either agree with you or not. Cases lead to point-by-point rebuttals which lead to point-by-point justifications, which lead to TL/DR.

This explains some n00bs' behaviour when they come into a game and go VOTE PCM after the joke vote stage with no reasons and think it's standard procedure. Oh, how different internet cultures can be.

I have an issue with The Fonz's logic insofar as to say that the "timing" of the vote matters. This is an internet based game, and different people log on at different times. Timing may matter, but the speed of a forum game is much more difficult to manage than a RL game of mafia. This is true even if we play like a LC game, because people may be sidetracked by RL concerns.
Captain safariguy5

Postby Yomiel on Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:36 pm

The timing of a vote can matter, depending how you mean it.

However, over there, they were always voting me for stupid reasons. My first game, I made a perfectly normal first post. This guy insisted I was Mafia. I was, but he was honestly basing it on nothing. He would always just guess at my alignment and act like he understood my style, when I was never even truly allowed to play for anyone to see it. And if I happened to not be the alignment he thought, he'd just chalk it up to me being a bad player.
New Recruit Yomiel

Postby pmchugh on Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:24 am

Yomiel wrote: And if I happened to not be the alignment he thought, he'd just chalk it up to me being a bad player.

Haha, anyone who has ever tried epicmafia will know this is 100% true.
Major pmchugh

Postby DoomYoshi on Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:16 pm

So, apparently the yoshi rollcall is fairly standard procedure at MS. I signed up
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Rodion on Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:35 pm

pmchugh wrote:
Yomiel wrote: And if I happened to not be the alignment he thought, he'd just chalk it up to me being a bad player.

When I'm wrong about someone being mafia, that is usually how I feel.
General Rodion

Postby Campin_Killer on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:38 am

My account has yet to be approved after 2-3 weeks of waiting...
Upcoming Tournaments
NCAA Football
In the Trenches - 3 in sign-ups
13 Colonies
8 Thoughts
Africa

Highscore

Lieutenant Campin_Killer

Postby Campin_Killer on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:40 am

pmchugh wrote:

Don't remind me.
Upcoming Tournaments
NCAA Football
In the Trenches - 3 in sign-ups
13 Colonies
8 Thoughts
Africa

Highscore

Lieutenant Campin_Killer

Postby Yomiel on Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:53 am

There are too few decent sites out there, and they all have their own unique ways of playing. Plus, some are run by rude people.
New Recruit Yomiel

Previous

Return to Mafia Discussions