Conquer Club

%$#&#%*&%^&( DICE

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: %$#&#%*&%^&( DICE

Postby nietzsche on Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:58 am

el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:18 am

zimmah wrote:
nietzsche wrote:
Robinette wrote:Bad dice can happen anywhere...

Sounds like you guys have something in common with this guy:

Those of you who keep saying that don't stop to think about it anymore, you are being arrogants.

You take us like idiots, and make little jokes for others to see.

Do you think I don't understand random? I do.

What I'm saying is that dice is way too streaky here. Over time it does even out, which is normal, but the problem with the streaks is that you might get shitty dice when it matters, and once you are dead, you get super really good dice and the stats even out, but the problem is the fact that it was streaky.

I remember reading somewhere the way it was taken from random.org and how they make some moves to accomodate it that seriously didn't make any sense to me at the time, but I won't say they are wrong in that because I didn't give it much thought, but what it did seem to me is that the numbers could be just taken how they were given by random.org

I'm asking you politely to stop making those "subtle" jokes, to you and to andy. If you want to call me idiot directly, that's fine with me, and it suits me better.

you are an idiot but i still agree with you on this subject.

as far as i know, random.org creates a batch of numbers (each of them 5 numbers long) and selects 1 number from the list and than throws away the number after use. however, that's exactly opposite to random. they should not throw away numbers after use.

No, he is not really, I lost an 11v2 on Das Schloss that would have given me a secured bonus. This was against someone who did not know how to play the map Very well. So, obviously, it burned me up when he won the game, all because of round 3 or 4, when I lost an 11v2
Brigadier Jdsizzleslice

Postby chang50 on Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:09 am

Jdsizzleslice wrote:
zimmah wrote:
nietzsche wrote:
Robinette wrote:Bad dice can happen anywhere...

Sounds like you guys have something in common with this guy:

Those of you who keep saying that don't stop to think about it anymore, you are being arrogants.

You take us like idiots, and make little jokes for others to see.

Do you think I don't understand random? I do.

What I'm saying is that dice is way too streaky here. Over time it does even out, which is normal, but the problem with the streaks is that you might get shitty dice when it matters, and once you are dead, you get super really good dice and the stats even out, but the problem is the fact that it was streaky.

I remember reading somewhere the way it was taken from random.org and how they make some moves to accomodate it that seriously didn't make any sense to me at the time, but I won't say they are wrong in that because I didn't give it much thought, but what it did seem to me is that the numbers could be just taken how they were given by random.org

I'm asking you politely to stop making those "subtle" jokes, to you and to andy. If you want to call me idiot directly, that's fine with me, and it suits me better.

you are an idiot but i still agree with you on this subject.

as far as i know, random.org creates a batch of numbers (each of them 5 numbers long) and selects 1 number from the list and than throws away the number after use. however, that's exactly opposite to random. they should not throw away numbers after use.

No, he is not really, I lost an 11v2 on Das Schloss that would have given me a secured bonus. This was against someone who did not know how to play the map Very well. So, obviously, it burned me up when he won the game, all because of round 3 or 4, when I lost an 11v2

Not obviously at all,things like that happen to me fairly regularly and I would never let a bit of bad luck in a mere game 'burn me up',how will you react when you have real problems?
Captain chang50

Postby JustCallMeStupid on Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:22 pm

I had an awesome bad streak and I accidentally deleted my cookies #-o My bad streak consisted of nearly 31% win rate on 3v2 attacks with well over 500 rolls of 3v2 attacks. I rolled 6's at about 15% of the time and the defender rolled 6's at about 17.5% (it was 18% for a long time).

This is an old snap of it.
Click image to enlarge.

So my cookies started over tracking my dice as you can see below. I will try not to let CCleaner delete them next time.
Here is my most recent since my cookies were deleted
Click image to enlarge.

This should make u feel a little better.
Major JustCallMeStupid

Postby JustCallMeStupid on Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:28 pm

Quick update if u like bad streaks:
Click image to enlarge.
Major JustCallMeStupid

Postby nietzsche on Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:05 am

Ok, I was playing a british isles games and I had a 9 to kill a 2, and couldn't.

Immediately later, a doubles game and red breaks SA with a 6, killing a 5 and a 4, ending up with a 3. That was the key to the game.

In the very net game, I have a 7 next a two 1s in south america Game 11253683, and this guy deploys 4, making a stack of 5, and kills my 7 without losing 1 single army, and by that move he secures SA and wins the game.

I think it is ridiculous that lackattack doesn't fix this, and that he doesn't think its a problem. Furthermore Andy laughs at me.

I'm not paying premium never again.

I want to make this clear, I not saying dice are not random, they are, but they are very streaky.
General nietzsche

Postby nietzsche on Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:10 am

We should make an alliance and not pay premium until things about the dice are make clear, that'll put pressure and make lackattack make it a priority, and even if we are wrong, it'll be settled forever. All we need is that the dice challenges are logged, then, volunteers here would make nice plugins to graph and study the dice.
General nietzsche

Postby Robinette on Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:59 pm

nietzsche wrote:We should make an alliance and not pay premium until things about the dice are make clear, that'll put pressure and make lackattack make it a priority, and even if we are wrong, it'll be settled forever. All we need is that the dice challenges are logged, then, volunteers here would make nice plugins to graph and study the dice.

It will likely not have the desired effect, but I encourage and admire anybody's dedication to go freemium as a protest. I have done it myself several times for other reasons, but this dice thing has the potential to be heard more since it is likely the top complaint by a huge margin.

We know mathematically that there will be streaks using dice, but if I understand you correctly, you think there should be less of them.

Logically, there can be only 2 things happening... l1) there could a broken algorithm which is causing excessive streaks, or 2) it could be that this level of streaks is mathematically inherent in the dice (as someone with a good understanding of mathematics and probabilities, I happen to subscribe to the latter view)

Now lets take this a step further... if the dice prove true, then the streaks remain as they are, and you are just as frustrated as ever. So perhaps what you are really advocating for is something other than our 5 dice system. And I doubt that you want to play without some element of luck (at another site they have a fixed result with no dice, and trust me, few people would want that)

The simple way to REDUCE streaks is to reduce the variables. Using 2 of the 3 attacking dice gives you 21 possible combinations (same as a set of dominoes without the blanks), and the defender has the same 21 possible combinations. This huge number of combinations often results in some crazy streaks, as we all know.

But if it were 1 dice vs 1 dice, where a tie is a push, then the 21 counts are reduced to just 6. There would still be streaks, but it is not hard to do the math and find that this results in a reduction in the probability of larger streaks. Although, this would eliminate the slight mathematical "attacker advantage" that we have now.

And if you wanted to further reduce the streaks, then reduce the number to 2. Win or Lose. One army at a time instead of 2 per roll. As in a simple coin toss. Heads you win, Tails you lose. Again, this will not eliminate streaks, but it will reduce them to the lowest level possible while maintaining randomness. Oh I should clarify... The probability of short streaks would be nearly the same between random dice and random coin flips, but the probability of large streaks are what would be greatly reduced. So your enemy could still win a 5v7 attack without losing a man, and a 6 could still take a 5 and a 4. This is what some would call "LUCK". Not a bad thing if you ask me.
Brigadier Robinette

Postby JustCallMeStupid on Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:19 pm

I think he like I want streaks not to be so long. 500 rolls at 31% win rate is a freaking long loser streak. Maybe after 100 rolls of being significantly (4%) above or below the 37% average rate of winning your dice are somehow skewed towards slightly better or worse dice for 40 rolls to help balance things out or maybe ur next 100 rolls are somehow barely skewed higher so that you might still roll worse than 37% it is less likely.

From my perspective of rolling 500 rolls at 31% it seems so statistically unlikely that somehow I feel like I am being punished whether I am or not. It makes the game very frustrating.
Major JustCallMeStupid

Postby jgordon1111 on Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:28 pm

JustCallMeStupid wrote:I think he like I want streaks not to be so long. 500 rolls at 31% win rate is a freaking long loser streak. Maybe after 100 rolls of being significantly (4%) above or below the 37% average rate of winning your dice are somehow skewed towards slightly better or worse dice for 40 rolls to help balance things out or maybe ur next 100 rolls are somehow barely skewed higher so that you might still roll worse than 37% it is less likely.

From my perspective of rolling 500 rolls at 31% it seems so statistically unlikely that somehow I feel like I am being punished whether I am or not. It makes the game very frustrating.

+1 streaks on losing seem to last longer than the winning streaks for some reason. I think Robinnette is showing the best advantage to leveling this out.
Private jgordon1111

Postby tec805 on Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:29 pm

Edit: doesn't mean much unless you understand that roll was for the kill on silver ](*,) [-X
show: spoiler sigs are like my dice, they suck
General tec805

Location: ☀ Southern California, where the sunshine's shining ☀

Postby Mr Changsha on Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:42 am

1vs1 is the only game on CC where I have come away from a loss directly blaming it on the dice. The only one. I have played many large standards, dubs trips etc and while dice have been a factor (as they should be or this game would be quite dull), I have never felt my loss was directly due to dice.

My point is of course obvious...1vs1 is a game for masochists. Believe me I'm a calm player, yet even I was punching the screen playing 1vs1. Why? Because my strategy was entirely based on my dice working out in the early game. Therefore, the game was basically out of my hands. I felt that I was a passenger in my own game, desperately hoping my dice would be kind enough to lead me where I needed to be.

In my view that is no way to play the game. But I feel the OP must already know this inherent truth. Yet he keeps playing it. If he isn't a masochist then he is addicted to the rush of leaving himself bare to the vagaries of randomness. But either way he shouldn't complain about it here.

Personally, I like to limit the importance of random factors. That is why I play no cards, it is also why I prefer larger maps for trips. One can play games here that leave the dice in their proper place. So why apparently intelligent people continue to play heavily luck-based forms and then complain about it continuously leaves me, as it has for so long, mystified.

Streaks, streaks, streaks...they are part of what makes this game so fantastic. Dealing with them - and most of us have our own rather mystical methods - adds elements of faith and magic that has always placed Risk on a higher plane to me than chess. Streaks and our attitudes to them harkens back to a time before modern science and some might see the intellectual tyranny of proven facts. They are what gives this game its emotional quality. Currently I am intruiged by the concept of positive-thinking. Can I will my dice by some terribly ancient power to perform better than average? I certainly try. To an extent I am trying to use magic (through the use of incantations quietly expressed). Does karma affect dice? Can an incredible exercise of will-power? These are interesting questions of a profound nature.
Colonel Mr Changsha

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:21 am

Good post by Mr. C. I tend to favor playing 1vs1's, and the dice can indeed play a big factor (probably more so than with other settings), but I still like it. But it is fun to mix in some larger games with no spoils or other settings that limit the random factors like mentioned above.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Mr Changsha on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:31 am

AndyDufresne wrote:Good post by Mr. C. I tend to favor playing 1vs1's, and the dice can indeed play a big factor (probably more so than with other settings), but I still like it. But it is fun to mix in some larger games with no spoils or other settings that limit the random factors like mentioned above.

--Andy

Well naturally... ;)

Btw I'm not trying to suggest that 1vs1 is not a perfectly vaild form of the game. Rather that by playing it one must accept, and one would have to assume enjoy, the fact that it is more luck-based.
Colonel Mr Changsha

Postby Robinette on Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:33 pm

It's so good to have you back Mr.C... your posts are always logical and well thought out.

And what you said is so very true... Why, I recently joined my 1st tournament, and I have seen for the 1st time ever just how critical those dice rolls can be. There is attack after attack made with very few troops, so a few bad rolls and you're done. In the 6p escalators that I have played for so many years, there is just never a reason to do that,,, and when you are attacking, it is with large stacks to steal cards.

Not to say there is no skill in these 2p vs 2p games, but does feel a lot more like a trip to vegas baby 8-)
Brigadier Robinette

Postby chang50 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:10 am

Mr Changsha wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Good post by Mr. C. I tend to favor playing 1vs1's, and the dice can indeed play a big factor (probably more so than with other settings), but I still like it. But it is fun to mix in some larger games with no spoils or other settings that limit the random factors like mentioned above.

--Andy

Well naturally... ;)

Btw I'm not trying to suggest that 1vs1 is not a perfectly vaild form of the game. Rather that by playing it one must accept, and one would have to assume enjoy, the fact that it is more luck-based.

Correct,I would add you need a highish level of emotional maturity to play 1v1 as the luck swings violently one way and another in this form.I have been verbally assaulted,accused of cheating,called offensive names by players too puerile to accept the vagaries of the game.
Captain chang50

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:19 pm

chang50 wrote:
Mr Changsha wrote:

--Andy

Well naturally... ;)

Correct,I would add you need a highish level of emotional maturity to play 1v1 as the luck swings violently one way and another in this form.I have been verbally assaulted,accused of cheating,called offensive names by players too puerile to accept the vagaries of the game.

Agree with Mr. C and Chang50. From time to time, I still suffer from frustration of not having things go my way in a way 1vs1, but I usually have enough other 1vs1 games going that allow me to feel like I'm winning more than I am losing (which I think is the case for my 1vs1 %, but I don't remember).

--Andy

Postby Arama86n on Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:52 pm

Mr Changsha wrote:1vs1 is the only game on CC where I have come away from a loss directly blaming it on the dice. The only one. I have played many large standards, dubs trips etc and while dice have been a factor (as they should be or this game would be quite dull), I have never felt my loss was directly due to dice.

My point is of course obvious...1vs1 is a game for masochists. Believe me I'm a calm player, yet even I was punching the screen playing 1vs1. Why? Because my strategy was entirely based on my dice working out in the early game. Therefore, the game was basically out of my hands. I felt that I was a passenger in my own game, desperately hoping my dice would be kind enough to lead me where I needed to be.

In my view that is no way to play the game. But I feel the OP must already know this inherent truth. Yet he keeps playing it. If he isn't a masochist then he is addicted to the rush of leaving himself bare to the vagaries of randomness. But either way he shouldn't complain about it here.

Personally, I like to limit the importance of random factors. That is why I play no cards, it is also why I prefer larger maps for trips. One can play games here that leave the dice in their proper place. So why apparently intelligent people continue to play heavily luck-based forms and then complain about it continuously leaves me, as it has for so long, mystified.

Streaks, streaks, streaks...they are part of what makes this game so fantastic. Dealing with them - and most of us have our own rather mystical methods - adds elements of faith and magic that has always placed Risk on a higher plane to me than chess. Streaks and our attitudes to them harkens back to a time before modern science and some might see the intellectual tyranny of proven facts. They are what gives this game its emotional quality. Currently I am intruiged by the concept of positive-thinking. Can I will my dice by some terribly ancient power to perform better than average? I certainly try. To an extent I am trying to use magic (through the use of incantations quietly expressed). Does karma affect dice? Can an incredible exercise of will-power? These are interesting questions of a profound nature.

=D> =D>
You just restored my faith in humanity. or at least, my hope of finding something worth reading in a thread like this. Thank you.
Major Arama86n

Postby Gillipig on Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:56 am

AndyDufresne wrote:
chang50 wrote:
Mr Changsha wrote:

--Andy

Well naturally... ;)

Agree with Mr. C and Chang50. From time to time, I still suffer from frustration of not having things go my way in a way 1vs1, but I usually have enough other 1vs1 games going that allow me to feel like I'm winning more than I am losing (which I think is the case for my 1vs1 %, but I don't remember).

--Andy

Don't get cocky just because you've leveled up now Andy ;)!
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:59 am

My 1vs1 % has been that way for a while I think, even before I had my recent hot streak. ;)

--Andy

Postby Gillipig on Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:23 am

AndyDufresne wrote:My 1vs1 % has been that way for a while I think, even before I had my recent hot streak. ;)

--Andy

I'm not too fond of those 1v1's. 3 player games are more my type of games. I have a talent for making my opponents fight each other ;). Silently I might add. Not by words but just by troop placement and knowing when to attack. My win % is higher in 3 player games than in 2 player games. 57% in 3 player games vs 52% in 2 player games.
I feel like I'm getting cocky myself here. You've smitten me with your bold statements Andy lol.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Mr Changsha on Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:31 pm

Robinette wrote:It's so good to have you back Mr.C... your posts are always logical and well thought out.

And what you said is so very true... Why, I recently joined my 1st tournament, and I have seen for the 1st time ever just how critical those dice rolls can be. There is attack after attack made with very few troops, so a few bad rolls and you're done. In the 6p escalators that I have played for so many years, there is just never a reason to do that,,, and when you are attacking, it is with large stacks to steal cards.

Not to say there is no skill in these 2p vs 2p games, but does feel a lot more like a trip to vegas baby 8-)

This reminds me of when I played almost exclusively 8 man standard or 8 man dubs. Dice rarely if ever seemed a factor at all. Sure sometimes they would make a move more or less successful, but as I rarely attacked without double the numbers (usually large numbers) my aims were almost always achieved.

In trips, I increasingly focus on the DEFENSIVE rather than offensive dice. I am obsessive about never leaving open 1s (certainly facing their natural target..but even if not I try desperately not to) and am experimenting with the effects of shortening an offensive move, but gaining the benefit from the defensive 2s. For example, an 8 facing 1s could (assuming perfect dice and not rolling off of less than a 3) could take 5 territories leaving 1s. However, by leaving 2s in its wake it could but take 3. Of course sometimes (when in trouble) there is no choice but to do the maximum cut. Survival depends on it. But I am intersted in the defensive dice. How much harder is it for the opposition when they NEVER get to hit a 1? Conversely, I focus on hitting open 1s (and most teams leave them). So my teams hit 1s and they hit minumum of 2s.

I'm not aware of the exact numbers with regards to how often it happens, but I know from experience that it is not so unusual for a 2 to take 4 off of an attacker. Happens all the time. While we all get the yips on 1s from time to time it is far less common. As an example, in one of my current games pink laid a 5 on a 3 and hit out at a 3. He lost 5. That happens. My chap deployed 6 combined on a 5 and a 3. Facing only 1s his dice weren't all that hot...yet he still took 4 regions. And where he had to or could he left a 2.

So...'f*ck the Dice?' No. I think you have to make them work for you. Playing on a large map (say 2.1..which has always been good to me on so many forms of the game) I can absorb some bad dice in the first 2 rounds - when we are all throwing hopefully against 3s - and begin to catch up again as I nail the 1s and force them to hit 2s and 3s. I can arrange my forces so that not only are we hitting our man but doing so to strategic advantage. I can put the opposition on the defensive. If I lose I don't blame the dice..usually the opposition has come up with a better opening strategy and punished me with it. So many players find this impossible to accept..that the oppostion could have had a better strategy or better communication between the team. So they blame the dice. The classic CC delusion is 'When I win it is strategy when they win it is dice'. This is of course utter crap. Looking back on my trips losses almost always my head wasn't in the game properly. My opening strategy (which is my main job for the team..setting the first few rounds) was flawed. Whether I lost quickly or slowly was related to the dice for sure...but it was the strategy that let me and my team down. I accept this completely.
Colonel Mr Changsha

Postby nietzsche on Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:21 pm

MOTHER FUCKER WTF IS GOING ON WITH THIS FUCKING SHIT WHAT THE f*ck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

ATMOSPHERIC NOISE ?? THESE DICE ROLLS APPEAR TO BE TAKEN FROM LACKATTACK'S ASS NOISE
General nietzsche

Postby Funkyterrance on Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 pm

nietzsche wrote:MOTHER FUCKER WTF IS GOING ON WITH THIS FUCKING SHIT WHAT THE f*ck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

ATMOSPHERIC NOISE ?? THESE DICE ROLLS APPEAR TO BE TAKEN FROM LACKATTACK'S ASS NOISE

Now there's a thought. Maybe he's not as silent as we all may think?
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby AslanTheKing on Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:09 am

Pirlo wrote:you know? I created only one decent quote in my whole life... "Luck is the excuse of losers!"

wrong buddy, luck is not an excuse,
Luck is Hard Work ;)
I used to roll the daizz
Feel the fear in my enemy´s eyes
Listen as the crowd would sing:

Long live the Army Of Kings !

AOK

show: AOK Rocks
Sergeant 1st Class AslanTheKing

PreviousNext

Return to Conquer Club Discussion