Conquer Club

It would be nice if there was a section for...

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: It would be nice if there was a section for...

Postby Yomiel on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:06 am

You are welcome for the information. Glad you think so much of it.
New Recruit Yomiel

Postby edocsil on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:35 am

safariguy5 wrote:
shieldgenerator7 wrote:Nice! They do work afterall ;)
(I like a good case of confirmatin bias)

-SG7 ( :) )

Lol, correlation does not equal causation.

Pretty much.

I have always been of the opinion that if you can't figure out how the signups work, you don't have the deductive reasoning to play here anyhow. SIGNUPS is usually posted in the title and that is a thousand times more descriptive then ++ ++ for a additional 2 characters. If the game is 10 pages long and people are VOTING, guess what? It's not in signups.
Edoc'sil

Commander9 wrote:Trust Edoc, as I know he's VERY good.

zimmah wrote:Mind like a brick.
Sergeant 1st Class edocsil

Postby Yomiel on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:39 am

Nothing wrong with making things less cluttered. An archive was created.
New Recruit Yomiel

Postby jak111 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:30 am

edocsil wrote:
safariguy5 wrote:
shieldgenerator7 wrote:Nice! They do work afterall ;)
(I like a good case of confirmatin bias)

Lol, correlation does not equal causation.

Pretty much.

I have always been of the opinion that if you can't figure out how the signups work, you don't have the deductive reasoning to play here anyhow. SIGNUPS is usually posted in the title and that is a thousand times more descriptive then ++ ++ for a additional 2 characters. If the game is 10 pages long and people are VOTING, guess what? It's not in signups.

Haha, exactly. Still might be useful for everyone to put sign ups in their title so the noobs can find them. The ++ tags are unknown to anyone but those who play here. I use **SIGN UPS** for my threads and I think that's as clear as you're gonna make it. Also, don't clutter f*ck the title of the thread until you're at least full :/ That just makes it look ugly more than anything else.
Highest Rank:
Major:2157

"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers"

Jak Eliminator: Prison Riot [0/16] *Sign Ups*
Private 1st Class jak111

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:14 pm

In the future people will say:
"I have always been of the opinion that if you can't figure out that the ++ tags mean the game is in signups, you don't have the deductive reasoning to play here anyhow."

BTW edoc this sentence that you wrote (that I twisted around) could easily be made to support my case too. Just saying.

Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to defeat all evil. -Ephesians 6 KJV

My Smiley: ( :) ) --- it's got SHIELDS!

everywhere116 wrote:You da man! Well, not really, because we're colorful ponies, but you get the idea.
Sergeant shieldgenerator7

Postby edocsil on Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:25 pm

shieldgenerator7 wrote:In the future people will say:
"I have always been of the opinion that if you can't figure out that the ++ tags mean the game is in signups, you don't have the deductive reasoning to play here anyhow."

BTW edoc this sentence that you wrote (that I twisted around) could easily be made to support my case too. Just saying.

What additional clarity is gained by +'s?
What additional utility is there by the +'s? (what do they do that "signups" does not?
What is the value of the 2 or 3 characters saved by +'s?

To me if there is no value to to an actions, the action is meaningless. I see no value for the +'s, nor see why we should waste a mods time to add it to some community guideline-ish post.

There is merit to the idea of having a separate signup area, but there are elsewhere listed cons that have made us decide to keep things as they are. +'s have no merit. They do nothing that other tags do not, and they are less clear and informative then an actual description. They also look like they are from some malformed game lobby from the 90's, do you member all the !'s spaces +++ and the like that people used to do so their game would be listed first alphabetically? If not, go find a copy of Halo 1 for fee and look there. They look tacky and are of little or no benefit, so again I ask.

Why bother?
Edoc'sil

Postby Yomiel on Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:40 pm

Why not bother? Less clutter, and it's easier to find games currently in sign-ups. Even if you put the words in the topic title, it's the numbers which always tend to stand out more.
New Recruit Yomiel

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:48 pm

If one of the Discussion & Mafia moderators wanted to play around with using (or creating) new topic icons, like those either used by the Foundry or the Tournaments section to mark various categories of topics, we could try that. :)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby aage on Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:50 pm

edocsil wrote:

What additional utility is there by the +'s? (what do they do that "signups" does not?

To me if there is no value to to an actions, the action is meaningless. I see no value for the +'s, nor see why we should waste a mods time to add it to some community guideline-ish post.

There is merit to the idea of having a separate signup area, but there are elsewhere listed cons that have made us decide to keep things as they are. +'s have no merit. They do nothing that other tags do not, and they are less clear and informative then an actual description. They also look like they are from some malformed game lobby from the 90's, do you member all the !'s spaces +++ and the like that people used to do so their game would be listed first alphabetically? If not, go find a copy of Halo 1 for fee and look there. They look tacky and are of little or no benefit, so again I ask.

Why bother?

We can't stop them from using the tags, mate. If they want to add a picture of Selena Gomez to every signup thread we couldn't stop them either. I suggest we conserve what can be conserved before this board is usurped by these newlings! ;)
Sergeant 1st Class aage

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:53 pm

HEY GUYS THE POKEMON GAME NEEDS 8 MORE PLAYERS, HERPDEDERP.

-Tails
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby vodean on Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:54 pm

aage wrote:
edocsil wrote:

Why bother?

We can't stop them from using the tags, mate. If they want to add a picture of Selena Gomez to every signup thread we couldn't stop them either. I suggest we conserve what can be conserved before this board is usurped by these newlings! ;)

ewww.... dude, thats disgusting
<NoSurvivors› then vote chuck for being an info whore
Sergeant vodean

Postby safariguy5 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:00 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:If one of the Discussion & Mafia moderators wanted to play around with using (or creating) new topic icons, like those either used by the Foundry or the Tournaments section to mark various categories of topics, we could try that. :)

--Andy

Unfortunately I don't have the programming experience for that. But honestly shield, +'s don't mean "Signups". "Signups" do mean "Signups". Games that are not in signups usually have a "Day" or "Night" + a number after the (12/13) or whatever. I mean, if people take the time to read the thread titles in GD or OT, I see no reason why they wouldn't do the same here.
Captain safariguy5

Postby jgordon1111 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:22 pm

Ah hell make it where you can color code the subject line,green you are in sign ups,red you are playing the game,and black game over. Or if you want to get crazy, black game is in progress,red game is over. Ta Da problem solved.

Can someone please bring on the next problem to be solved?

Thank you I will be here for further questions at an unknown date and time. :) :arrow: :P :?: =D>
Private jgordon1111

Postby DiM on Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:53 pm

actually there's a very simple and elegant solution.
the main foundry has colour codes to show the stage of development for any map.
it's a little coloured ball next to the topic that kinda looks like this:

Image or this: Image

so whoever's in charge of this section can talk to andy and maybe get the same icons for here.

green means it's accepting players
yellow means it's ongoing and accepts reserves
red means it's ongoing and doesn't need anything
and blue means it's on pause or something

or heck, we could even ask for different types of icons like they have for the tournaments:
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby edocsil on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:35 pm

DiM wrote:actually there's a very simple and elegant solution.
the main foundry has colour codes to show the stage of development for any map.
it's a little coloured ball next to the topic that kinda looks like this:

Image or this: Image

so whoever's in charge of this section can talk to andy and maybe get the same icons for here.

green means it's accepting players
yellow means it's ongoing and accepts reserves
red means it's ongoing and doesn't need anything
and blue means it's on pause or something

or heck, we could even ask for different types of icons like they have for the tournaments:

I could be down with this. It makes for uniformity without making it look like a 12 year old troll is running around.

;)
Edoc'sil

Postby strike wolf on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:05 pm

Color coded dots could work definitely.
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Strike wolf need brain for smart making.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:44 pm

I completely agree. The color coded dots look nice. However, I'd prefer games to only have color-coded dots and stuff if the game was in sign-ups, or if it was over and ready to be placed in the archives. IMO the on-going games don't need tags

Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to defeat all evil. -Ephesians 6 KJV

My Smiley: ( :) ) --- it's got SHIELDS!

everywhere116 wrote:You da man! Well, not really, because we're colorful ponies, but you get the idea.
Sergeant shieldgenerator7

Postby edocsil on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:26 am

shieldgenerator7 wrote:I completely agree. The color coded dots look nice. However, I'd prefer games to only have color-coded dots and stuff if the game was in sign-ups, or if it was over and ready to be placed in the archives. IMO the on-going games don't need tags

Good point.
Edoc'sil

Postby aage on Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:00 am

Green = signups, red = archives. Seems fine to me. Because, you know, there already is a thread for reserves...
Sergeant 1st Class aage

Postby soundman on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:58 am

aage wrote:Green = signups, red = archives. Seems fine to me. Because, you know, there already is a thread for reserves...

That thread is for replacements. Not reserves. ;)
Lieutenant soundman

Postby aage on Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:45 pm

soundman wrote:
aage wrote:Green = signups, red = archives. Seems fine to me. Because, you know, there already is a thread for reserves...

Yeah, and reserves... replace, right?
Sergeant 1st Class aage

Postby soundman on Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:42 pm

aage wrote:
soundman wrote:

Well you usually get a few people to post in the signup thread as reserves. That way if you lose someone you can quickly fill the spot instead of having to post in the replacement thread and wait for someone to respond.
Lieutenant soundman

Postby safariguy5 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:52 pm

soundman wrote:
aage wrote:
soundman wrote:

Well you usually get a few people to post in the signup thread as reserves. That way if you lose someone you can quickly fill the spot instead of having to post in the replacement thread and wait for someone to respond.

Depends on how large your game is. Large games tend to need all the players they can get, so you may not be able to get reserves. Even if it's a small game, if it sits in signups a long time, it might be better to start playing immediately to make sure everyone is still able to play.
Captain safariguy5

Previous

Return to Mafia Discussions