Conquer Club

Tournament Directors should take over the TPA

Where dead threads are laid to rest - No new topics, no new posts allowed

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby greenoaks on Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:25 am

Concise description:
  • the tournament directors should oversee the TPA

Specifics/Details:
  • the tournament department should hire 1 more person whose main task will be to oversee the TPA
  • spreadsheets and passwords would be in a central location accessable to all TD's
  • TD's can be rotated in/out of the role depending on their availability

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • the concept will not disappear because 1 person has real life issues
  • the person running the TPA doesn't actually run tournaments, they do the bookkeeping that allows everything to run smoothly, much like the TD's do now updating the database and handing out medals
  • the TPA is a natural extension of the roles the TD's currently provide for us, 1. they make a note of winners, 2. they ensure tournaments meet the guidelines, 3. they keep an eye on tourneys to keep them moving.
  • so lets make it an official event where the task can be easily shared amongst several volunteers
Sergeant greenoaks

Re: Tournament Directors should take over the TPA

Postby blakebowling on Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:48 am

Moved to Tournaments Discussion.
Private blakebowling

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:31 am

I agree.

There are literally hundreds of players who have joined tournaments primarily to be part of the TPA, and for it to be allowed to just die would be a massive kick in the stones to them.

I've been making inquiries all over the board for someone to take over the TPA, but everyone is daunted by the magnitude of the task. It really might be too much for any one person. The rescue operation needs to be a group project, and logically the TD department should show leadership here and either perform the rescue outright or at least organise and supervise it.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby IcePack on Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:32 am

This is a suggestion for the site? Why is it moved?

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby chapcrap on Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:22 pm

IcePack wrote:This is a suggestion for the site? Why is it moved?

The Suggestions forum is more for coding and site changes, not policy stuff, etc. At least, that's how I have perceived it. This probably should have been moved here.

As far as the suggestion goes, I don't have much of an issue myself with the general idea. I think it's a good idea to have multiple people oversee something this large and at least give the TDs access to the information, if not control of it. I do not currently have the time to take on a large role in this project, but I can help out.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby greenoaks on Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:02 am

if this was an official yearly event then i could volunteer to do it. it's just up to Night Strike.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Night Strike on Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:43 am

FYI, I posted this 2 months ago in private:
Night Strike wrote:Maybe we could have the TO group take the lead in finishing up the current events, and then we will make TPA3 an official TD event.

However, all it appears like to me since then is that the TOs that have been involved with it on most any level have all disappeared, whether it be the ones who have ongoing tournaments or are supposed to still be starting new ones. That leads me to believe that not enough people would commit to running a 3rd season of it anyway. Unless it's just become that way because the organizer of the event has been gone and would improve if there was a dedicated leader present.
Major Night Strike

Postby greenoaks on Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:17 am

Night Strike wrote:FYI, I posted this 2 months ago in private:
Night Strike wrote:Maybe we could have the TO group take the lead in finishing up the current events, and then we will make TPA3 an official TD event.

However, all it appears like to me since then is that the TOs that have been involved with it on most any level have all disappeared, whether it be the ones who have ongoing tournaments or are supposed to still be starting new ones. That leads me to believe that not enough people would commit to running a 3rd season of it anyway. Unless it's just become that way because the organizer of the event has been gone and would improve if there was a dedicated leader present.

its up to you.

if you feel the concept of bringing together a large number of tournaments into a points league is worth it then bring it inhouse, recruit some extra manpower and give it a shot.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby DaveH on Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:37 am

As some of you know, I have been doing some excel macros and VBA programming for the newsletter and I have now created a couple of programmes for the TPA2 results system that a) assign the points to the player lists according to final positions and b) insert individual tournament results into the master spreadsheet.

So far it works Ok and I have duplicated the existing TPA2 spreadsheet with the 5 sets of results that are on it, plus I have added greenoak's Doodle Crack tournament results as a further test. Once a tournament is completed and a list of players with their final positions is available, it takes about a minute to update the master spreadsheet and then 5 mins to check and correct mis-spelt players' names! (DaveH would be listed seperately to Daveh or daveH for instance)

In terms of testing, there are a number of errors in the original spreadsheet that are presumably due to manual updating and the spreadsheet's size may give rise to future problems but otherwise I feel confident of maintaining the score sheet - with support of course. I possibly need to make a few more changes over the next week or two to cater for limiting the types of tournaments that players can enter into the scoresheet.

I am therefore happy to take on the updating of the present tournament though I would need to get the approval of you guys and to get the cooperation of the individual TO's in getting their final results (where they are not obvious!).

I would be pleased to support greenoaks should he take on this year's or TPA3 and he programmes can be made available as required - in fact I'll use one of them for the next newsletter article in case TO's want to use it to assign the TPA2 points to their results.
Corporal DaveH

Return to Tournament Archives