Conquer Club

Political Theme?

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Political Theme?

Postby soundman on Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:06 pm

So /'s Democracy Game gave me an idea. Who would be interested in a political figures theme? Could be any politician from anytime in the USA (because those are really the only ones I know). Could be George Washington to Leslie (Les) Aspin (Bill Clinton's Secretary of Defense).

I'd be using a mixture of my own political views (which I will keep hidden so as to not affect the game) and popular public views to determine alignment. Probably have some interesting roles to go along with the characters.

The only thing that I see as being a possible problem is that I offend someone with who I select to be Mafia, Town or Third Party. I would NOT be trying to offend anyone.

Thoughts?
Lieutenant soundman

Re: Political Theme?

Postby new guy1 on Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:53 am

The idea sounds good, and you have nailed the one reason why someone would be ticked off by the idea, but since I hate politics (poli= many, tics= blood sucking creatures, put them together???) I like the idea and can garantee I would not rage quit, but I dont know if I could play it. Any idea on the time frame of when it would start?
Sergeant new guy1

Postby DiM on Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:16 am

the idea is sound (:P) but i don't know how much appeal it would have to a non-US player.
i mean, i know major political figures from US, but that's about it. i don't know details and flavour because i'm generally not interested in politics and i'm not from the US.

that being said i'd like such a theme if it were based on the political figures of the declaration of independence. i find that much more interesting than obama/bush/clinton/etc. also with old political figures it is harder to offend people.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby safariguy5 on Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:24 am

I agree, flavor may be tough for non Americans, but I can see nearly no scenarios where Nixon is not mafia.
Captain safariguy5

Postby soundman on Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:34 pm

new guy1 wrote:The idea sounds good, and you have nailed the one reason why someone would be ticked off by the idea, but since I hate politics (poli= many, tics= blood sucking creatures, put them together???) I like the idea and can garantee I would not rage quit, but I dont know if I could play it. Any idea on the time frame of when it would start?

I'm not sure when I would start it. The soonest would be late August.
DiM wrote:the idea is sound (:P) but i don't know how much appeal it would have to a non-US player.
i mean, i know major political figures from US, but that's about it. i don't know details and flavour because i'm generally not interested in politics and i'm not from the US.

that being said i'd like such a theme if it were based on the political figures of the declaration of independence. i find that much more interesting than obama/bush/clinton/etc. also with old political figures it is harder to offend people.

True. I would probably try to use well known politicians that most people would recognize. If I used any lesser known ones then they would at least be easily found with a Google search. Could help people learn some history. ;) I'm now tossing around the idea of adding international political figures as well. The only problem is that I don't know too many.
safariguy5 wrote:I agree, flavor may be tough for non Americans, but I can see nearly no scenarios where Nixon is not mafia.

If you only based it off of his first term then he could be town. :P
Lieutenant soundman

Postby DiM on Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:44 pm

soundman wrote: I'm now tossing around the idea of adding international political figures as well.

well there are 3 options:
1. keep it us-only
2. have a major political figure per country and make an international themed mafia. let's say ww2 and one guy is hitler, another is stalin or churchill/mussolini/etc
3. have a us-based theme with a bit of international flair. for example you make a modern era us-political stage theme and you add just a few other international politicians as 3rd party/power roles (ex: kim jong il as the bomb)
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby / on Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:00 pm

There have been a few notable plots of treason within the US that could make for interesting factions.
Arguably those who seceded from the union in the civil war.
Vice President Aaron Burr was charged.
Then there was the whole "Business Plot".

Lots of interesting stuff if you don't mind digging a bit.
Sergeant 1st Class /

Postby thechuck51 on Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:29 pm

How about all the politicians are scum. Wealthy donors can be 3rd party. And town is the voting public?
Sergeant 1st Class thechuck51

Postby soundman on Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:43 pm

Ooo, some good ideas. Thinking about it I don't want a run-of-the-mill game. I'd really like some special gameplay/twists like what / does (Your games are awesome!). I'll have to give it some thought.
Lieutenant soundman

Postby thechuck51 on Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:57 pm

soundman wrote:Ooo, some good ideas. Thinking about it I don't want a run-of-the-mill game. I'd really like some special gameplay/twists like what / does (Your games are awesome!). I'll have to give it some thought.

what if a politician that has been lynched/kicked out of office can be revived/re-elected?

Prior to the lynch or deadline every player votes via PM to you whether they want the person lynched to be re-vived.

If majority votes no then lynch proceeds as usual

if majority votes yes then the "lynched" player is spared and stays in the game but his role and alignment are not revealed. The game then goes to night immediatley.

to make it interesting there can be a 33% chance or something that the spared player flips alignment to mafia (only if he is town/3rd party)

Postby DiM on Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:43 am

but how would that work? why would it happen?
if a majority votes for a lynch why would they then send pms not to go ahead with the lynch?
the only people who would do that would be mafia and only if the targeted person is also mafia.
to everybody else the lynchee's role is unknown so they have no reason to change their vote AFTER they already voted him/her.
Major DiM

Postby thechuck51 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:04 am

DiM wrote:but how would that work? why would it happen?
if a majority votes for a lynch why would they then send pms not to go ahead with the lynch?
the only people who would do that would be mafia and only if the targeted person is also mafia.
to everybody else the lynchee's role is unknown so they have no reason to change their vote AFTER they already voted him/her.

I was thinking the PM votes would be made well before the lynch is decided. Maybe its something done at night for the next day so you are voting before you know who any suspects are. So lets say we have a N0 (just for this vote) and a majority votes to save the lynchee Day 1 (since they know the chances of catching scum are small so they ca.....

ahhh nevermind. it wont work the way I was thinking. It would be kinda cool to somehow give town the option to save a mislynch but if they do there is a chance he is converted to mafia

Postby / on Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:13 pm

soundman wrote:Ooo, some good ideas. Thinking about it I don't want a run-of-the-mill game. I'd really like some special gameplay/twists like what / does (Your games are awesome!). I'll have to give it some thought.

Thanks! It's always interesting to try some new twists, good luck.
Sergeant 1st Class /

Postby vodean on Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:33 pm

Obama is clearly mafia goon. George Soros is Mafia Godfather. Ron Paul can be the hero that saves the day (town superhero that activates sometime in the future). Biden can be Mafia jerkface (roleblocker, silencer, and drunk all in one).
<NoSurvivors› then vote chuck for being an info whore
Sergeant vodean

Return to Mafia Discussions