Conquer Club

Settlement

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Settlement

Postby Mr_Adams on Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:42 pm

Map Name:Settlement
Mapmaker(s):Mr_Adams
Number of Territories:37
Special Features: Multiple win conditions, which can be held by different players simultaneously
What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made: There are several maps with win conditions, by which a player can win without removing all opponents from the board. As is, there is only ever one set of win cnditions. This map offers 5 different "monopolies", wherein owning all 7 of any of the 5 resources constitutes a win condition.

I tried to get this started once before. what do you think of it? I intend to add "towns" on about 1/3 of the territories. different combinations of territories with towns will make up bonuses. It is based on the board game Settlers of Catan.

Map Image:
Click image to enlarge.
Captain Mr_Adams

Re: Settlement

Postby BGtheBrain on Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:44 pm

Last edited by BGtheBrain on Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain BGtheBrain

Postby QoH on Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:59 pm

Settlers of Catan?
Please don't invite me to any pickup games. I will decline the invite.
Major QoH

Postby BGtheBrain on Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:02 pm

Last edited by BGtheBrain on Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain BGtheBrain

Postby IcePack on Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:23 pm

In order to make it larger, I used to play where you would take two sets of the board game and place them next to each other (essentially forming a island that looked like a "figure eight")

That would give the same style map, features and ideas while being a little more unique.

Just a thought / suggestion. It won't scream SoC. And would be nice to have a larger map for team games.

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:59 pm

Mr Adams, nice idea, IU think it got tried a little while ago and had support then but the map maker gave upo after a while. Can I ask, have you read this.... viewtopic.php?f=649&t=150681 as it will give you the majority of what you need to make a map?

Now for some ideas for you.
Make the map larger.
Give it some shape.
Space your icons out a lot more so you cannot win from any one territ.
Give some icons a decay (desert would be good) Not deset ;)

Will look again later for you.

koontz
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Mr_Adams on Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:34 am

koontz1973 wrote:Give some icons a decay (desert would be good) Not deset ;)

Sorry, I think I may be misunderstanding you. You think the deserts should have the decay function (IE auto deploy -1)? and what do you mean by "Not desert ;)"

Also, I may need to come up with a deployment scheme. Any suggestions? Maybe just leave it random...

And I don't want to make it to large, as to make the win conditions obnoxious/ impossible. At the same time, not so easy as to make the game boring. I don't want to make "Oasis", where the win conditions win half the time.
Captain Mr_Adams

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:53 am

You could easily double the size of territs and make the win condition spaced out more. By holding M2, I can take everything I need for the win. Not really any stratagy there is there? Try to think of it this way, would you enjoy a game if someone deployed on that spot and won the game by round 2 or 3, making you play your turns till he won. This is why I said make the map larger. Then you have the room to space the winning territs around. You should only be able to hit one from any territ. So how about more territs with only three of each of the five winning condition territs. So you need 15 for the brick,wheet, pasture etc and then place non winning territs between them all. You should be able to keep the territ count down to 70 and make a game based more on stratagy than luck of the deployment.

Adding some neutral style territs to the map, you can then give them abalities,
town and brick +1
pasture and farm +1
wheet and shop +1
and so on.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Mr_Adams on Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:43 pm

koontz1973 wrote:You could easily double the size of territs and make the win condition spaced out more. By holding M2, I can take everything I need for the win. Not really any stratagy there is there? Try to think of it this way, would you enjoy a game if someone deployed on that spot and won the game by round 2 or 3, making you play your turns till he won. This is why I said make the map larger. Then you have the room to space the winning territs around. You should only be able to hit one from any territ. So how about more territs with only three of each of the five winning condition territs. So you need 15 for the brick,wheet, pasture etc and then place non winning territs between them all. You should be able to keep the territ count down to 70 and make a game based more on stratagy than luck of the deployment.

I don't see how holding M2 is so useful as you describe, however the number of territories will be a balancing act. Adding more regions, and probably not making it so symmetrical are completely up for conversation.

koontz1973 wrote:Adding some neutral style territs to the map, you can then give them abalities,
town and brick +1
pasture and farm +1
wheet and shop +1
and so on.

I really like that. I'll sit down at some point (probably tomorrow) and make a graphic for it. perhaps starting with a neutral 5, and part of larger bonuses as well. The placement of these will have to be worked out as well.
Captain Mr_Adams

Postby Mr_Adams on Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:45 pm

IcePack wrote:In order to make it larger, I used to play where you would take two sets of the board game and place them next to each other (essentially forming a island that looked like a "figure eight")

That would give the same style map, features and ideas while being a little more unique.

Just a thought / suggestion. It won't scream SoC. And would be nice to have a larger map for team games.

They have expansions for this purpose. There is the Seafarers expansion, the Castles and Knights (I think is what it was called), fishing pack, etc.
Captain Mr_Adams

Postby Nola_Lifer on Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:51 pm

I think Kabanellas has a map that blows this one out of the water. King's Court series.
Major Nola_Lifer

Postby Mr_Adams on Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:17 pm

Nola_Lifer wrote:I think Kabanellas has a map that blows this one out of the water. King's Court series.

Hi there! Do you have any legitimate input, or are you just going to spew asinine bullshit without making any relevant points, nor taking into consideration the reason for this map, as listed in the original post? If there is another map I have missed which fills the feature which I thought to be unique here, please feel free to point it out. otherwise, take your senseless drivel elsewhere.
Captain Mr_Adams

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:07 am

Mr_Adams wrote:
Nola_Lifer wrote:I think Kabanellas has a map that blows this one out of the water. King's Court series.

Hi there! Do you have any legitimate input, or are you just going to spew asinine bullshit without making any relevant points, nor taking into consideration the reason for this map, as listed in the original post? If there is another map I have missed which fills the feature which I thought to be unique here, please feel free to point it out. otherwise, take your senseless drivel elsewhere.

Nola, while pointing out the obvious may be found useful in some places, try to do it with some grace.

Adams, feel free to ignore posts like these so you do not start your thread of with flames.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Oneyed on Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:43 am

nice idea. and I love multiple win conditions :)

this map needs to be well balanced. it is small map and without impassables, even if there will be decay deserts.

I do not think it needs be larger, but try to have Golden Numbers of regions. there are 37 regions, so 5 deserts would be fine. they could start as neutrals and yes they could be decay. then you will have 32 regions for random deploy.

but 32 is not fine number for 5 resources :lol: well, as I said it needs be well balanced.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby Gillipig on Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:23 am

In a 1v1 you could actually drop a win condition. And even if coded so that at least one or two resources of each sort starts as neutral, grabbing a win condition early on will be way too easy! Riped for freestyle farming.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:52 pm

[Moved]

Development has stalled on this map. Once an update has been made, it can be moved back.

koontz
Lieutenant koontz1973

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas