Conquer Club

exploiting speed freestyle games 1 minute timers

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

exploiting speed freestyle games 1 minute timers

Postby Anthrax821 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:28 am

cheating/abuse to exploit the one minute timer in speed games? or just scumbaggery?

i guess this is more of an ethical than rules question but still crappy.

example

2 of 4 left in a speed game with one minute timers. The second player (who is behind in terrs and troops) continues to wait until exactly 30 seconds left to start his turn takes a few terrs and quickly ends the turn.

This happened to me and i didnt realize it until as i plowed through his terrs the turn ended and i didnt get cards. What started happening was i couldnt even get a deploy down before about 25-27 seconds left in the round and often he deployed and took the territory before i could even click deploy. In fact this got so ridiculous I had him down to one city, one troop and it still took a number of rounds to defeat him as he began to plow through my terrs with a cash. At this turn when he had one left i tried to deploy in 5 different cities but he was just taking them in a chain and ended the turn almost before i could deploy. To beat it i had to deploy one or two territories back and wait for him (fog game). It took a number of turns after

I understand some might say "click quicker" but there is not much I can do except hit refresh and right after 30, once he starts the turn or it allows me to start, to then select the land and deploy, which at that point he is already ahead and it leaves me with less than 27 seconds to actually take a turn (sometimes lower 20 after CC loads and the deploy is placed). The issue ultimately becomes time left to take a turn...a 1 minute round becomes way less than 30 seconds and this is done by the opponent intentionally.
Captain Anthrax821

Re: exploiting speed freestyle games 1 minute timers

Postby SaviorShot on Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:55 pm

Welcome to 1 min freestyle games ^_^
Colonel SaviorShot

Postby Anthrax821 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:07 pm

thats ridic
Captain Anthrax821

Postby Ninja Champion on Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:36 pm

this isn't technically cheating nor is it an exploit once you understand the freestyle game.

There are too many differences to list between how a sequential and freestyle 1vs1 game play out that given two players of equal strategy sequential is a game of who starts first should win (this actually isn't true of a handful of maps where speed of sweeping the board is important, take the same two hypothetical players of equal strategy and give one a slightly faster internet/computer speed. The slower player may end up feeling a little Jippd/ripped off and eventually give up trying... an inside joke was made here.) Apply the same two players of "equal strategy" to the freestyle game play and speed is now your main game determining outcome, assuming dice/cards average out over the duration of the game; this never happens but over a span of 20+ games is more likely.

If your opponent ends first or you run out of time your opponent has the option of starting anytime before 1/2 the round is over, in the past with 5 min speed games as the only option this could be huge (wait 1-2 mins and quickly break a bonus/eliminate a player/etc to hopefully catch your opponent off guard) but now with the 1 min option as you've experienced the faster player could just wait the 30 seconds giving both players 30 seconds to make their moves. Obvious edge to the faster player and there's really nothing the slower player can do but to anticipate what the faster player could do and try to prepare for it (drop 2's in the opponents attack route, place a stack elsewhere and follow your opponents attacks, etc). This is usually why those with slower connections scream abuse but freestyle is a game of speed and strategy, more one than another depending on the map/settings, but more often than not speed.

There are a number of ways to increase your speed, some more questionable than others, with the most affordable to start:

- Using the default in game clickable map or the community developed clickable map, I'd be shocked if all this time the game default is faster and I didn't know about it

- Optimizing the community clickable map, there's a few posts on this

- Which internet browser you use, google chrome feels faster but firefox in my opinion feels better for whatever reason

- Computer maintenance, the programs that clean up all the background noise/junk. You could also include the numerous that claim to increase performance by stopping non essential programs from running, could be essential if your computer was cool in 1998

- Mental alertness, how much sleep you get, any enhancing substances, your peak physical conditioning, ask tdans, play starcraft like a boss, run marathons, etc

- Your internet connection, what speed, is it a direct connection or shared with others, etc

- Your computer hardware, playing on a bad ass computer from 1998 will score you retro points

- How close you live to the CC server, wherever the poor thing is to reduce your ping, probably the most expensive option.
Brigadier Ninja Champion

Postby SirSebstar on Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:56 pm

and this is why freestyle sucks even more.. impressive
Major SirSebstar

Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011

Postby jgordon1111 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:49 pm

+1 to what ninja said. Whatever map you play on make sure you know the bonuses and even in fog games be able to look at your opponents terts and be able to guess where he is and what his troop count is.

priority is know the map as well as you know your birthdate.

Every speed game you play,practise when it is your turn like its freestyle,see how long it takes you to begin, deploy, and take the terts you were going to and end the turn.

I by no means am a speed demon,but I have won some games that surprised my opponents.

Look for the fast players to gauge your speed. RHP,ljex,pimphawk,ninja,pitrules,gabriel,froxx. crazy,becky. There are many speed freestylers on this site. Look at some of their games and you can find the others.

Then if you see two of them playing if its not fog watch the game and the timer you will see what they do and when they do it.

oh and minimize your map so you can see the whole board to include the game chat. Be a quick reader lol,react faster.
Private jgordon1111

Postby Jippd on Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:25 am

There are different settings for different players. If you can't handle the quickness of playing a 1 v 1 freestyle speed then I would advise against joining them.
Major Jippd

Postby jltile1 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:31 am

Ninja Champion wrote:this isn't technically cheating nor is it an exploit once you understand the freestyle game.

There are too many differences to list between how a sequential and freestyle 1vs1 game play out that given two players of equal strategy sequential is a game of who starts first should win (this actually isn't true of a handful of maps where speed of sweeping the board is important, take the same two hypothetical players of equal strategy and give one a slightly faster internet/computer speed. The slower player may end up feeling a little Jippd/ripped off and eventually give up trying... an inside joke was made here.) Apply the same two players of "equal strategy" to the freestyle game play and speed is now your main game determining outcome, assuming dice/cards average out over the duration of the game; this never happens but over a span of 20+ games is more likely.

If your opponent ends first or you run out of time your opponent has the option of starting anytime before 1/2 the round is over, in the past with 5 min speed games as the only option this could be huge (wait 1-2 mins and quickly break a bonus/eliminate a player/etc to hopefully catch your opponent off guard) but now with the 1 min option as you've experienced the faster player could just wait the 30 seconds giving both players 30 seconds to make their moves. Obvious edge to the faster player and there's really nothing the slower player can do but to anticipate what the faster player could do and try to prepare for it (drop 2's in the opponents attack route, place a stack elsewhere and follow your opponents attacks, etc). This is usually why those with slower connections scream abuse but freestyle is a game of speed and strategy, more one than another depending on the map/settings, but more often than not speed.

There are a number of ways to increase your speed, some more questionable than others, with the most affordable to start:

- Using the default in game clickable map or the community developed clickable map, I'd be shocked if all this time the game default is faster and I didn't know about it

- Optimizing the community clickable map, there's a few posts on this

- Which internet browser you use, google chrome feels faster but firefox in my opinion feels better for whatever reason

- Computer maintenance, the programs that clean up all the background noise/junk. You could also include the numerous that claim to increase performance by stopping non essential programs from running, could be essential if your computer was cool in 1998

- Mental alertness, how much sleep you get, any enhancing substances, your peak physical conditioning, ask tdans, play starcraft like a boss, run marathons, etc

- Your internet connection, what speed, is it a direct connection or shared with others, etc

- Your computer hardware, playing on a bad ass computer from 1998 will score you retro points

- How close you live to the CC server, wherever the poor thing is to reduce your ping, probably the most expensive option.

Seems like a bit much to play a board game. This is why there should be scoreboards for sure. But some people think that it is the same as sequential.

But ya don't play those games I seen it happen in games I have played so stopped playing them they wait till the last seconds play click maps. Your next turn they already done played and your screen which you were starring at say start turn and your looking around with those clueless eyes like WTF!
Major jltile1

Postby Ninja Champion on Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:08 pm

jltile1 wrote:

Seems like a bit much to play a board game. This is why there should be scoreboards for sure. But some people think that it is the same as sequential.

But ya don't play those games I seen it happen in games I have played so stopped playing them they wait till the last seconds play click maps. Your next turn they already done played and your screen which you were starring at say start turn and your looking around with those clueless eyes like WTF!

I agree but something like separate scoreboards would never happen, would be pretty interesting though
Brigadier Ninja Champion

Return to Conquer Club Discussion