Conquer Club

Rights v Privileges

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Rights v Privileges

Postby Phatscotty on Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:33 pm

Before we begin, it is important to define our terms. Write a brief explanation of

what you think a right is
what you think a privilege is.
what makes them different.

No Googling! :P The idea is not to write the correct answer, but to stimulate the debate from various angles.

The quoted is borrowed from another source, and I will post it later because this thread is going interactive. After we get a few posts going, we can start with a list of examples and do them one by one if enough people participate.
Major Phatscotty

Re: Rights v Privileges

Postby saxitoxin on Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:00 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
Before we begin, it is important to define our terms. Write a brief explanation of

what you think a right is
what you think a privilege is.
what makes them different.

No Googling! :P The idea is not to write the correct answer, but to stimulate the debate from various angles.

The quoted is borrowed from another source, and I will post it later because this thread is going interactive. After we get a few posts going, we can start with a list of examples and do them one by one if enough people participate.

Good thread, Scott!

I will say ...

- a right exists unless taken away (life)
- a privilege exists only when given (internet access)
ImageImage
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:41 pm

A right is something that you do not need permission for. It is self evident
A privilege is something that you have to seek permission from someone or something with more power than yourself. It has to be granted
Major Phatscotty

Postby jonesthecurl on Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:47 pm

So you never need to fight for your rights?
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby vodean on Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:04 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:So you never need to fight for your rights?

sometimes you have to fight for your given right to life. yes. they are not mutually exclusive. people can take them away.

I think a right is something that should be universal, such as access to food, water, etc. rights are required for well-being.
a privilege is thus something that not everyone should have, or is unnecessary. privileges improve well-being but are not required.
<NoSurvivorsā€ŗ then vote chuck for being an info whore
Sergeant vodean

Postby patches70 on Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:15 pm

Is there a difference between natural rights and legal rights?

As to privilege, just looking at the root word from Latin tells you all you need to know about privilege- Private Law or Individual Law......
Private patches70

Postby NoSurvivors on Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:29 pm

As a human, you have no "right", in my opinion. Clean water (considered a "right" in Canada, I believe) is NOT a right, but a privilege. If not for government, there would be no so called rights. You would have to fend for youurself. "You have a right to remain silent. Can they make you speak? NO! I could kill a man, and who would stop me? No one. I would go to jail, becasue of the rules set in place by society. Society judges what is right and what is wrong. If the majority of people decided that it was okay to eat other humans, then it would be okay to heat humans. If society decided that we should make toasters illegal, it would happen. It is all about what the majority wants. If they do not get it, then they will use force to get it. Thus, why democratic societies in the world flourish with happy people. Hard working people? No. But happy people, yes.

Rights? Bullshit. You have the "right" to kiss my ass..

-NoS
Colonel NoSurvivors

Postby Iron Butterfly on Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:33 pm

A right is what my GPS tells me to take when obviously it is a dead end.
Captain Iron Butterfly

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:38 pm

Is drinking alcohol a right or a privilege?
Major Phatscotty

Postby Timminz on Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:29 pm

Phatscotty wrote:Is drinking alcohol a right or a privilege?

Yes.
Captain Timminz

Postby / on Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:29 pm

For me, the two aren't really directly correlated.

A right is a rule prescribed in oneā€™s favor; I take this word ā€œrightā€ to be identical to the word ā€œrightā€ meaning ā€œcorrectā€. For example if I go on a tour of an orchard and the sign says ā€œYou may take one appleā€, it is my ā€œrightā€ to do so as it is within the rules set.

A privilege, to me, means a gift, an excess that is given to make things better on a whim. For example if on that same tour I ask if I can take an extra apple for later, and the owners agree, that is a privilege, it doesnā€™t mean I or anyone else can take two from now on, it simply is a kindness.
Sergeant 1st Class /

Postby 2dimes on Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:41 pm

I believe rights are something everyone should have regardless of financial standing or who's family they are part of. Example access to clean community water. I know that right doesn't exist in some places.

A privilege is something that must be earned and can be revoked. Example a drivers license.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby Woodruff on Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:46 am

Phatscotty wrote:A right is something that you do not need permission for. It is self evident
A privilege is something that you have to seek permission from someone or something with more power than yourself. It has to be granted

So you don't have a right to life?
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby jonesthecurl on Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:22 am

Woodruff wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:A right is something that you do not need permission for. It is self evident

So you don't have a right to life?

Ah, yes, the 'unalienable rights.' Each year someone quotes that magnificent poetry. Life? What 'right' to life has a man who is drowning in the Pacific? The ocean will not hearken to his cries. What 'right' to life has a man who must die if he is to save his children? If he chooses to save his own life, does he do so as a matter of 'right'? If two men are starving and cannibalism is the only alternative to death, which man's right is 'unalienable'? And is it 'right'?
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby Johnny Rockets on Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:27 am

You should not have the right to breed like a fucking rabbit, but apparently you do.

JRock
Sergeant 1st Class Johnny Rockets

Postby AAFitz on Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:38 am

Evident to which self?

Do not such rights, become more evident throughout time?

Also, you suggest a right is simply dictated by the power of those who control them. I argue, once again, you have no idea what it is to be an American, by even being able to phrase that definition, as such.
I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
Too much. I know.
Sergeant 1st Class AAFitz

Re:

Postby AAFitz on Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:40 am

2dimes wrote:I believe rights are something everyone should have regardless of financial standing or who's family they are part of. Example access to clean community water. I know that right doesn't exist in some places.

A privilege is something that must be earned and can be revoked. Example a drivers license.

A drivers license is definitely a privilege while you could certainly argue that access to the process of attaining it, would be a right. :D
I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
Too much. I know.
Sergeant 1st Class AAFitz

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:23 am

AAFitz wrote:

Evident to which self?

Do not such rights, become more evident throughout time?

Also, you suggest a right is simply dictated by the power of those who control them. I argue, once again, you have no idea what it is to be an American, by even being able to phrase that definition, as such.

I argue, and repeat, a right is something you do not need permission for. Your suggestion that "a right is dictated by the power of those who control them" sounds a lot like what I and other people have suggested is a privilege.

snarky attacks on patriotism withheld
Last edited by Phatscotty on Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major Phatscotty

Re: Re:

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:16 am

AAFitz wrote:
2dimes wrote:I believe rights are something everyone should have regardless of financial standing or who's family they are part of. Example access to clean community water. I know that right doesn't exist in some places.

A drivers license is definitely a privilege while you could certainly argue that access to the process of attaining it, would be a right. :D

Driving is A PRIVILEGE, regulated by State laws and regulations.
Major Phatscotty

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:27 am

Is it a Right or a Privilege to pursue any lawful trade?
Major Phatscotty

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:34 pm

Well, if you support property rights, and since property rights gives one the right to transfer ownership to another, then it's a right to pursue any trade. The question turns to what one can own, and how much of the property rights can they exercise (use rights, ownership rights, sale rights, etc.).
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby john9blue on Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:05 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
AAFitz wrote:A drivers license is definitely a privilege while you could certainly argue that access to the process of attaining it, would be a right. :D

does one have a right to invent, and to use their inventions, provided that they don't commit any crimes? because that's what the first automakers did.

if so, then when did driving change from a right to a privilege? when the government started regulating it?
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:14 pm

john9blue wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
AAFitz wrote:A drivers license is definitely a privilege while you could certainly argue that access to the process of attaining it, would be a right. :D

does one have a right to invent, and to use their inventions, provided that they don't commit any crimes? because that's what the first automakers did.

if so, then when did driving change from a right to a privilege? when the government started regulating it?

Interesting. I have always wondered about just how much technology is responsible for our loss of freedom and liberty.

I suppose it became a privilege once people started being run over and accidents started to mount as more and more people acquired automobiles, and CERTAINLY once the government took over building the roads that we drive on.
Major Phatscotty

Postby john9blue on Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:22 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
john9blue wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:

Interesting. I have always wondered about just how much technology is responsible for our loss of freedom and liberty.

I suppose it became a privilege once people started being run over and accidents started to mount as more and more people acquired automobiles, and CERTAINLY once the government took over building the roads that we drive on.

well then driving on public roads maintained by the USG is a privilege given to us by them

but to say "driving is a privilege" implies that the use of a car itself is a bad thing without the consent of the USG

i'm not comfortable with that terminology and i hate the morons who recite "driving is a privilege, not a right" like it's a religious creed
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:25 pm

I would say driving a car without permission by the government could be a bad thing, since the government requires you to pass a basic training test and a written test on knowledge as well. And if you are caught driving 200mph, they will take away your privilege.
Major Phatscotty

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,