[Rules] Limit Signature Image File Size!

This forum is a storehouse for all Finalized Suggestions to be periodically reviewed during Feature Updates.

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Limit Signature Image File Size!

Postby codierose on Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:14 am

lol this guys never played on the site yet your agree to his suggestions
sigs are used mainly by clans as banners why would want to limit it
Major codierose

Medals: 94
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (23) General Achievement (7)
Clan Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (2)

Postby Woodruff on Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:44 am

codierose wrote:lol this guys never played on the site yet your agree to his suggestions
sigs are used mainly by clans as banners why would want to limit it

I believe the original post states why pretty clearly.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Postby codierose on Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:56 am

didn't realize there was sigs visible whilst your playing games or not his his case
Major codierose

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (23) General Achievement (7)
Clan Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (2)

Postby nietzsche on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:42 am

hahahaah, why do people keep posting here? nothing of is ever implemented.

lack has his own goals, he doesn't care what we post here.. I don't know whats after Battle Royale or teammate spoils, but it's most likely something useless, not useful.

Also, it's a phpbb thing, do you really think he'd want to save the signatures in the server? naaah that's too expensive man, impossible. I'm sorry, until phpbb comes up with a way to do it without having to save the sigs and it's easy to do it (2-3 minutes) it won't happen.

And stop posting suggestions.

Major nietzsche

Medals: 40
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Postby DiM on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:48 am

nietzsche wrote: I'm sorry, until phpbb comes up with a way to do it without having to save the sigs and it's easy to do it (2-3 minutes) it won't happen.

there is a way to limit sig size with the use of a phpBB add-on.
here it is: http://www.phpbbsmith.com/projects/phpbb3/signature-restrictions.html

i've told the admins about this and it was dismissed because apparently they don't want to get complicated with add-ons and stuff like that.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby nietzsche on Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:45 am

DiM wrote:
nietzsche wrote: I'm sorry, until phpbb comes up with a way to do it without having to save the sigs and it's easy to do it (2-3 minutes) it won't happen.

there is a way to limit sig size with the use of a phpBB add-on.
here it is: http://www.phpbbsmith.com/projects/phpbb3/signature-restrictions.html

i've told the admins about this and it was dismissed because apparently they don't want to get complicated with add-ons and stuff like that.

It's because it's a one-guy operation.

If there was a boss, he would simply tell the programmers to implement something, because it's a good idea. But lack doesn't think in terms of good idea/bad idea anymore, he think's in terms of what he can do easily. He is the boss, and he tells himself to do only things he's comfortable doing.

The YouTube tag, I was bugging and bugging, show them the code and finally they did it, and to be honest it's because having Youtube embedded looks very cool. But I also show them the code for the "Like" option but it was more work and I bet he doesn't want to do it because it will take him longer, like 1 day.

So we gotta make a big deal of the Signature file size for it to be implemented. And I agree with OP, some animated signatures make the threads very difficult to read, lately PS' signatures, but there have been others. What I do is I use adblock to hide em.

The easiest solution I bet would be to allow only jpgs and pngs as signatures. No gifs, but this is not ideal because some animated signatures are not as heavy on the browser. I have a fairly fast computer, but I have 2 or 3 browsers open at a time, and each with more than 5 tabs open, so to scroll down on threads filled with this type of signatures it's noticeable.

Major nietzsche

Medals: 40
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Postby Woodruff on Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:36 am

codierose wrote:didn't realize there was sigs visible whilst your playing games or not his his case

The original post doesn't refer to "whilst playing your games", which is precisely why I directed you to the original post.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)

Postby Maugena on Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:11 am

Would someone please do something about this?
Scatter me into the wind, drifting for eternity, forever undone.
Blissfully through with reality's unacceptable nature and apparent being.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKjzDU7V7es
New Recruit Maugena

Postby DiM on Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:23 am

Maugena wrote:Would someone please do something about this?

don't hold your breath ;)
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby Woodruff on Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:52 pm

DiM wrote:
Maugena wrote:Would someone please do something about this?

don't hold your breath ;)

This unfortunately appears to be the case.

Postby Ishihara on Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:05 pm

Last edited by Ishihara on Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major Ishihara

Medals: 58
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (9) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (10)

Postby IcePack on Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

While I dont get affected by the size of sigs and don't really care, I think a reasonable limit can be placed without being to restrictive.

I'd be ok with a limit as long as it was targeted @ a level that just kept out the worst offenders. If a video can be made under a reasonable size it shouldn't be restricted IMHO.
Interested in clans? Check out the Fallen!

Please contact chapcrap if my game times run low.
Major IcePack
Beta Tester Extraordinaire
Beta Tester Extraordinaire

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (9)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (15) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (11) General Contribution (8)

Postby lordhaha on Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:27 am

Cheating & Abuse

Accused :Maugena & .........

Accused of : Being a multi. and of having no backbone

Proof: just joined and played no games since 2010

Punishment Maugena: Thrown to the noob farmers and a forum ban.

Punishment for ........: Sent to the farm for hard labour to get some backbone and stop hidding behind Maugena :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lieutenant lordhaha

Medals: 56
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (7)

Postby Woodruff on Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:21 pm

So are the moderators just hoping this goes away and dies quietly?

Postby agentcom on Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:10 pm

Woodruff wrote:So are the moderators just hoping this goes away and dies quietly?

STICKIED.

As far as I know, this is still being discussed at levels above my pay grade.
Colonel agentcom

Medals: 69
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (13) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (8)
General Contribution (2)

PreviousNext

Return to Submitted Suggestions