Conquer Club

Pancake's Next Game!

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

What do?

Twin Peaks
11%
Music Man
No votes
Mass Effect
33%
Original Story
56%

Total votes : 18

Pancake's Next Game!

Postby pancakemix on Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:01 pm

So after CYOC finishes (and I leave the concept open to anyone else who wants to use it because I want to play in it), I'm planning on hosting at least one more mafia game at some point in the future. I've currently got several themes in mind under consideration and I'd love some input from y'all about what to pursue:

Option 1: Twin Peaks

I adore Twin Peaks. It's weird, it's creepy, and it all revolves around murder and betrayal. In other words, it's the perfect theme for a mafia game.

Possible Mechanics

Probably a lot of lover-based mechanics, along with some weird, ethereal messaging systems.

If You Don't Know It...

The entire series is available on Netflix, and it's well worth checking out.

Option 2: The Music Man

I don't know if I'm actually considering this one or not. If there's enough support, then I'm absolutely considering it. I think there's potential, I just don't know how much.

Possible Mechanics

I have no clue. I'm very early in the processing stage on this one.

If You Don't Know It...

Then shame on you. And I'm sure you could find a copy of the '62 version just about anywhere (don't watch the '03 one, it stinks). Hell, if there's a stage production near you, that works too.

Option 3: Mass Effect (full series)

This one will likely be pretty epic, the only question is if I want to commit to my original plan. That, and the third one was a disappointment (it's fun enough to play to find out why, though). I know one was also done in the past, but my idea is waaaaaay different.

Possible Mechanics

I've done the most thinking about this one, so it's the most developed.

- Three games, each one encompassing the events of one of the games
- A Commander Shepard who is "above the game" so to speak. He/she's in charge of many major decisions which would determine the game (probably even lynches). I've already determined that they'd be handpicked and that Shepard would be the same player through all the games if that player can commit.
- A distinction between the games' three class types (Combat, Biotic, and Tech), determining a player's abilities.
- Outcomes and decisions would have a major effect on games which follow (i. e. if Character A dies in ME1, he/she won't be in later games).

If You Don't Know It...

You can pick up the first game for Xbox 360 or PC pretty cheap now, seeing as it's five years old.

Option Four: Original Story

There's an original story mafia game that I started developing not too long ago which I was working on in earnest before I decided to do CYOC. It's just about ready, but there are more than a handful of bugs leftover.

Possible Mechanics

I don't want to give away too much, but there are Hunger Games-style item mechanics at play for sure.

If You Don't Know It...

You're not me. :D

So let me know what you guys think. Vote and leave comments please!
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Re: Pancake's Next Game!

Postby edocsil on Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:09 pm

ME would be good, so would Option 4. Zero interest in Music Man. Twin peaks would be OK, but it might not be the most gripping theme unless everyone has seen it and enjoyed it.
Edoc'sil

Commander9 wrote:Trust Edoc, as I know he's VERY good.

zimmah wrote:Mind like a brick.
Sergeant 1st Class edocsil

Postby Rodion on Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:16 pm

I don't know if I'll be available to play when the time comes, but I'd rather see option 4.
General Rodion

Postby vodean on Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:03 pm

IN as the one armed man. twin peaks would be EPIC.

its actually set up pretty well for a mafia game.
<NoSurvivors› then vote chuck for being an info whore
Sergeant vodean

Postby DiM on Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:19 pm

vodean wrote:IN as the one armed man. twin peaks would be EPIC.

its actually set up pretty well for a mafia game.

twin peaks would indeed be EPIC.

in as the log lady.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Nebuchadnezer on Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:35 pm

I like the idea of #4, but I was actually aspiring to host my own Hunger Games at some point. Seeing as I haven't even hosted an easy game, though, I'll probably never get to it.

I like the Music Man idea...but perhaps something more easily identifiable...West Side Story...Wizard of Oz...Phantom of the Opera (although very few characters)...there are plenty of musicals out there that might be more widely known...
Sergeant 1st Class Nebuchadnezer

Postby safariguy5 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:37 pm

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite mafia theme in the citadel.

But I'd also be in favor of Option 4 too.
Captain safariguy5

Postby edocsil on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:02 pm

safariguy5 wrote:I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite mafia theme in the citadel.

But I'd also be in favor of Option 4 too.

God, I almost fell out of my chair.
Edoc'sil

Commander9 wrote:Trust Edoc, as I know he's VERY good.

zimmah wrote:Mind like a brick.
Sergeant 1st Class edocsil

Postby LSU Tiger Josh on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:27 pm

I would be happy to be in any of them pancake although not sure using the same player for com. shepherd would be a good idea since then scum would know who to go after immediately. If Yomiel is in them though, than I'll pass playing in the game.

Josh
LSU Tiger Josh
The man, the myth, the legend has returned.
Corporal LSU Tiger Josh

Postby pancakemix on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:34 pm

LSU Tiger Josh wrote:I would be happy to be in any of them pancake although not sure using the same player for com. shepherd would be a good idea since then scum would know who to go after immediately. If Yomiel is in them though, than I'll pass playing in the game.

Josh

By "above the game" I mean Shepard is a player but can't be a target. He/she just holds a lot of weight in decision making (most/all of it really).

And I doubt Yomiel would sign up.
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

Postby LSU Tiger Josh on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:36 pm

Sounds good than pancake. Been too long since been in one of your games.
LSU Tiger Josh
Corporal LSU Tiger Josh

Postby strike wolf on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:37 pm

Haven't seen the first two. big fan of Mass Effect and always a fan of an original story.
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Strike wolf need brain for smart making.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby DiM on Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:41 am

LSU Tiger Josh wrote: If Yomiel is in them though, than I'll pass playing in the game.

+1
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby aage on Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:09 am

DiM wrote:
LSU Tiger Josh wrote: If Yomiel is in them though, then I'll pass playing in the game.

+1

You've played two or three games with him and you've already decided you will never play with him again because of what? Lynch-eager players are nothing new, honestly, especially when they get you guilty on investigation. In my opinion this is just a very, very poor attitude from your part.
Sergeant 1st Class aage

Postby pancakemix on Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:38 am

aage wrote:
DiM wrote:
LSU Tiger Josh wrote: If Yomiel is in them though, then I'll pass playing in the game.

+1

You've played two or three games with him and you've already decided you will never play with him again because of what? Lynch-eager players are nothing new, honestly, especially when they get you guilty on investigation. In my opinion this is just a very, very poor attitude from your part.

Yomiel has proven multiple times that she is prone to outbursts. I'm not going to comment directly on ongoing games, but what I saw in rolegift was tamer than usual.

This thread isn't about Yomiel, though. Please stay on topic.
Epic Win

Postby aage on Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:13 am

pancakemix wrote:
aage wrote:
DiM wrote:

+1

Yomiel has proven multiple times that she is prone to outbursts. I'm not going to comment directly on ongoing games, but what I saw in rolegift was tamer than usual.

This thread isn't about Yomiel, though. Please stay on topic.

Oh, yeah, I forgot, "+1" was ontopic and I wasn't. :roll:

In regard to outbursts, any of Yomiel's games I'm looking at right now mainly consist of players generally being butthurt because of one of Yomiel's (significantly short) posts. For example in the Rolegift game he's playing very calm and isn't anywhere near "bursting", and yet many seem to think he's a "retard". I wonder who is responsible for those outbursts, since if memory serves this kind of bullying hasn't occured once on this site.

If any mods still care about being ontopic, I chose option 4.
Sergeant 1st Class aage

Postby vodean on Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:27 pm

aage wrote:
DiM wrote:

+1

i think we have a yomiel fan here guys... ewww
<NoSurvivors› then vote chuck for being an info whore
Sergeant vodean

Postby LSU Tiger Josh on Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:55 pm

I also chose option 4.

Aage you may consider it "poor attitude" on our part, but to me when I play mafia I want to play with people I enjoy. The only joy that I would get out of a game with someone that I find on the same scale of Forrest Gump minus him being a "good and nice" person would be if my character would be able to kill them in the game or they served a NES purpose which was to make us laugh over the stupidity and then lynch him on day 1 for it after we had the laugh. It would be one thing if the person was actually trying and listening to advice from veteran members to try to get better. When a person seems to think they are all knowing and to tell them anything to the contrary results in them thinking it is an insult or that you are being mean to them is a person that I don't care to play with.

Yes we can all get frustrated with other members and their play at times, but time proves if someone is just trolling(saying the same stupid shit over and over or if they really have a just reason for what they did or did not do in a game(such as being a jester or mafia).

Sorry pancake, but I am going to at least explain why I personally disagree with that being "poor attitude" since I'm one of the ones that was accused of it simply because I enjoy playing mafia with people that have full brain capacity.
LSU Tiger Josh
Corporal LSU Tiger Josh

Postby pancakemix on Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:37 am

That's fine, LSU, just don;t let it persist here.

vodean wrote:
aage wrote:
DiM wrote:

+1

i think we have a yomiel fan here guys... ewww

You shut up. I may have issues with Yomiel, but if you ACTUALLY say the kinds of nasty things she accuses you of, you're only fueling the fire.
Epic Win

Postby DoomYoshi on Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:09 pm

Rodion wrote:I don't know if I'll be available to play when the time comes, but I'd rather see option 4.

Planning a vacation?

Does every thread have to be dominated with yomiel? They are still talking about that on MS. Grade A troll IMHO.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Rodion on Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:43 pm

Might be busy studying the next 2 months.

Give link to mafia scum! And to your profile there!
General Rodion

Postby pancakemix on Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:41 am

Rodion wrote:Might be busy studying the next 2 months.

It won't be in the next two months. Winter is most likely.
Epic Win

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:02 pm

Rodion wrote:Might be busy studying the next 2 months.

Give link to mafia scum! And to your profile there!

http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22551
I am pretty sure this guide was written specifically with Yomiel in mind, but I could be wrong.

My profile sucks. I am Doomyoshi. D1 lynch and 2 D1 wagons.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby pancakemix on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:55 pm

So guess what I haven't thought about at all in three and a half months?

Anywho, the bump is because I noticed the number of games is getting anemic and I think that void needs filled. Another CYOC is a quick fix to that problem and not a ton of work on my part development-wise. Thoughts?
Epic Win

Postby Commander9 on Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:41 pm

pancakemix wrote:So guess what I haven't thought about at all in three and a half months?

Anywho, the bump is because I noticed the number of games is getting anemic and I think that void needs filled. Another CYOC is a quick fix to that problem and not a ton of work on my part development-wise. Thoughts?

Only if it's set in ME universe ;)
But... It was so artistically done.
Lieutenant Commander9

Next

Return to Mafia Discussions