Postby PapaGeek on Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:22 pm

Concise description:
  • Limit the number of identical new games that a player can create

Specifics/Details:
  • Limit the number of identical new games a player can create to 10
  • Limit the number of games on the same map that a player can create to 20
  • Once a game is started you are free to post another

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • Quite frankly, it is a pain in the butt when you have to scroll through 50 identical games when looking for a game to join.
  • I don’t want to limit a player from posting 50 game requests, just limit them from posting the same identical game 50 times and clogging up the list.
Major PapaGeek

Re: Identical new games.

Postby chapcrap on Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:17 pm

I pay to make the same game over and over!! How do you expect me to get my medals?!

For real though, the only advantage is that you don't have to scroll through as many games. Not a very big advantage. Disadvantage: people can't make all the games they want to.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby agentcom on Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:59 pm

I didn't know anyone just scrolled through waiting games anymore :)

The nice part about identical games is that ... wait for it ... they all look the same. So (1) stop reading settings; (2) look at the map images; (3) grab mouse and use scroll bar to go far enough that you don't see the same map; (4) repeat as necessary. Problem solved!

There are many things that could improve search functionality for users like you without preventing people from creating a bunch of games that they want to play in. Many of these players create games like these because they are slow to fill. If they were also prevented from creating them in mass, they wouldn't be able to play nearly as many of them. I think I might find such a practice boring, but many players/teams on this site don't. More power to them.
Brigadier agentcom

Postby blakebowling on Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:42 am

I believe this issue has been fixed by the most recent update (merging common games into the same listing). PapaGeek, is it OK if I archive this?
Private blakebowling

Postby agentcom on Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:35 pm

What?! I didn't know this happened? That is awesome. I just headed over to Join a Game and saw the results. Well done team. Nice update!
Brigadier agentcom

Postby PapaGeek on Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:11 am

Sure, feel free to archive it
Major PapaGeek

Limit the number of duplicate games

Postby PapaGeek on Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:07 am

Concise description:
  • Limit the number of duplicate games a player can post at the same time

Specifics/Details:
  • Change the limit from 50 to 10 or 20
  • Ask the other players what they think the limit should be

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • Make it easier to find the games you like to play

I thought I posted this a while back, but can’t find it now for the update, so I’ll post it again.

A few weeks ago someone created 50 duplicate “Start A Game”s

It is now weeks later and there are still 44 of the 50 in the list; they are now items 2 through 45 of a total of 145 available games. 7 of the 44 have the second same second player and one now has a third player signed up. The other 37 are still just the original poster with no one else wanted to join in. So, you have to scroll through half a page before you get to different game board.

I can understand having 10 or 20 of the same game posted, and refreshing your list whenever the original games start, but 50 at once seems a bit too much. Yes, I can scroll down half a page to get to games I am interested in, but imagine if two, three, or four members did the same thing. You would literally have to scroll through multiple pages of 100 games each just to find a game that you liked.

Can’t we come up with a more reasonable maximum limit as to how many duplicate games a player can start at the same time?

If not, why have a limit at all, let us all post hundreds of requests and really clog up the system!
Major PapaGeek

Re: Limit the number of duplicate games

Postby blakebowling on Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:11 am

You did, here viewtopic.php?f=471&t=174515. You said the condensation of the join a game screen fixed this problem.
Private blakebowling

Postby greenoaks on Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:40 am

every couple of days i need to create 50+ games of the same type for a tournament of mine. one night i needed to create 416 identical games for round 1 of Doodle Crack.

your suggestion would make a difficult task impossible.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby PapaGeek on Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:29 pm

Thanks for the replies:

Blakebowling,
A. I agreed that the moderator could archive the request, not that join a game fixes it.
B. Thanks for the link, I see my original post was 12 days ago and that means that 6 of the 50 games mentioned then have started and 7 more have a small amount of interest.
C. At the rate of 6 starting every 12 days, the problem I’m talking about will be over in 3 more months, 91 days to be exact!

Greenoaks,
If you run tournaments, then you should be granted “special” permission to make huge multiple posts. My complaint is when some players abuse the privilege. As stated above, the 50 games that were posted in this example will remain on the board for 103 days, the 12 so far plus another 91.

Maybe we could say that game requests, with only the originator in the game and no one else joining, could expire in a reasonable time. . . and that time should be way less than 103 days!

I do most of my gaming on larger PCs, so scrolling is no big deal! What is this like for those with iPhones and/or tablets?
Major PapaGeek

Postby blakebowling on Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:59 pm

PapaGeek wrote:Thanks for the replies:

Blakebowling,
A. I agreed that the moderator could archive the request, not that join a game fixes it.
B. Thanks for the link, I see my original post was 12 days ago and that means that 6 of the 50 games mentioned then have started and 7 more have a small amount of interest.
C. At the rate of 6 starting every 12 days, the problem I’m talking about will be over in 3 more months, 91 days to be exact!

Greenoaks,
If you run tournaments, then you should be granted “special” permission to make huge multiple posts. My complaint is when some players abuse the privilege. As stated above, the 50 games that were posted in this example will remain on the board for 103 days, the 12 so far plus another 91.

Maybe we could say that game requests, with only the originator in the game and no one else joining, could expire in a reasonable time. . . and that time should be way less than 103 days!

I do most of my gaming on larger PCs, so scrolling is no big deal! What is this like for those with iPhones and/or tablets?

I do believe games are deleted if they don't fill within 30 days (15 for private and tournament games).
Private blakebowling

Postby agentcom on Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:14 pm

blakebowling wrote:I do believe games are deleted if they don't fill within 30 days (15 for private and tournament games).

I did not realize this. I guess I just assumed that all games end up finding some takers at some point. I think that the 30 day expiration (if that is in fact the case), actually does two things that impact this suggestion: First, it lessens the problem that the OP describes, since games "timeout" and cannot remain on the Game Finder page forever. Second, it actually strengthens the case for allowing a great number of identical games, especially with unpopular settings. If you really like a type of game, you want to get as many of them started as possible. If you can fill 50 in 30 days that's great for you because you know that sometimes you only fill a couple of them in that 30 day timeframe.

If you combine these considerations with the Game Finder revamp that made these identical games less burdensome, I'm not seeing much reason to keep this open and not merge it with your other suggestion.
Brigadier agentcom

Postby Pirlo on Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:54 am

I don't think public games expire though! am I out-of-date?
Captain Pirlo

Postby chapcrap on Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:12 pm

Pirlo wrote:I don't think public games expire though! am I out-of-date?

This is what I thought as well.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby greenoaks on Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:02 pm

public games do expire.

a common behaviour due to the pages and pages of games waiting to be filled is to create a lot at once. some will fill early but the rest will progress to the front where you hope some will fill before they expire.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Pirlo on Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:26 pm

greenoaks wrote:public games do expire.

a common behaviour due to the pages and pages of games waiting to be filled is to create a lot at once. some will fill early but the rest will progress to the front where you hope some will fill before they expire.

This is news to me... I used to have games waiting for +2 months to fill and they never expired?
Captain Pirlo

Postby Bruceswar on Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:11 pm

Pirlo wrote:

This is news to me... I used to have games waiting for +2 months to fill and they never expired?

Public games do not expire at all. Private games are the only ones that can expire.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Pirlo on Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:29 pm

Bruceswar wrote:
Pirlo wrote:

Public games do not expire at all. Private games are the only ones that can expire.

this is what I thought.. Thanks for confirmation!
Captain Pirlo

Postby agentcom on Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:14 pm

Bruceswar wrote:
Pirlo wrote:

Thanks for clearing that up.

MERGED with your identical suggestion. The new Join a Game page reduction (collapsing identical games) should lessen the problems that the OP is concerned about.
Brigadier agentcom

Return to Archived Suggestions