Surrender/Resign/Forfeit Button [Rejected]

Suggestions that have not stood up to community review.

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

Re: Surrender/Resign/Forfeit Button [Rejected]

Postby fidias on Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:10 pm

im playing a feudal epic trench at 5 min.... and i have to go.... i asked the other player to miss 3 turns and he accepted..... but it would be easier for him and for me to just make an i surrender button for trench games ONLY..... seriously.... it makes no sense NOT to have it...
Major fidias

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (1)

Postby drunkmonkey on Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:46 pm

It makes no sense to start a speed trench game when you don't have time to finish. This isn't going to be implemented. Just finish out your games, it's not a big deal.
Major drunkmonkey

Medals: 88
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (23) General Achievement (11) Clan Achievement (12) Tournament Contribution (9)

Postby agentcom on Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:35 pm

drunkmonkey wrote:It makes no sense to start a speed trench game when you don't have time to finish. This isn't going to be implemented. Just finish out your games, it's not a big deal.

Good point.
Colonel agentcom

Medals: 69
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (13) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (8)
General Contribution (2)

Postby fidias on Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:14 am

sometimes life gets in the middle, you know? for an online gaming site/community, you sure are reluctant to change.... dont you feel like burning books, or hunting down witches? the world is flat, right?
Major fidias

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (1)

Postby Stoney229 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:17 pm

agentcom wrote:
drunkmonkey wrote:It makes no sense to start a speed trench game when you don't have time to finish. This isn't going to be implemented. Just finish out your games, it's not a big deal.

Good point.

This is essentially an admission that this feature would add great utility to CC. Perhaps people should not be playing speed trench games... but even if that is the case, it proves that there are some great advantages to having a forfeit button - one, namely, is that people would be able to play speed trench games.

Like I said before, great enjoyment/utility potential to this proposal, at virtually no cost to site enjoyability.
Score: 1739
Games: 88 Completed, 52 (59%) Won
#1302/21963
Lieutenant Stoney229

Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)

Postby drunkmonkey on Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:34 pm

I've played several online games with some sort of "quit" option, and it absolutely makes for a less enjoyable experience when your opponent quits in the middle of the game.
Major drunkmonkey

Medals: 88
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (23) General Achievement (11) Clan Achievement (12) Tournament Contribution (9)

Postby Stoney229 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:49 pm

drunkmonkey wrote:I've played several online games with some sort of "quit" option, and it absolutely makes for a less enjoyable experience when your opponent quits in the middle of the game.

This is understandable. However, this cannot happen if resignation requires the consent of all parties. Alternatively, those who wish not to risk a person resigning can create a game without the option if it is made an option.
#1302/21963
Lieutenant Stoney229

Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)

Postby agentcom on Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:40 pm

Stoney229 wrote:
agentcom wrote:

Good point.

This is essentially an admission that this feature would add great utility to CC. Perhaps people should not be playing speed trench games... but even if that is the case, it proves that there are some great advantages to having a forfeit button - one, namely, is that people would be able to play speed trench games.

Like I said before, great enjoyment/utility potential to this proposal, at virtually no cost to site enjoyability.

Errr ... nope. People already have the ability to play speed, trench games. Just like with any speed game setting, however, they have to take into account whether they have the time to finish those games. Yes, this may allow more users to have time to finish those types of games (and hence, start them), but the argument is that this benefit is outweighed by the disadvantages.
Colonel agentcom

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (13) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (8)
General Contribution (2)

Postby Stoney229 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:54 am

agentcom wrote:
Stoney229 wrote:
agentcom wrote:

Good point.

Errr ... nope. People already have the ability to play speed, trench games. Just like with any speed game setting, however, they have to take into account whether they have the time to finish those games. Yes, this may allow more users to have time to finish those types of games (and hence, start them), but the argument is that this benefit is outweighed by the disadvantages.

I was basing my argument off the quote's assertion that people should not be playing speed trench games since they might not be able to finish. Either way, the proposal allows greater enjoyability of the game or more gametype options. The cost only comes in a few people's scores being artificially inflated. That does not affect how much a person can enjoy the games they play. Why is there even a comparison?
#1302/21963
Lieutenant Stoney229

Resign button for trench 1vs1s

Postby maxfaraday on Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:33 pm

Concise description:
  • An option to resign in trench 1vs1 games

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • Seems pretty obvious to me, especially for speed games

Also, this might be a good idea for team games like 2vs2, 3vs3 and 4vs4.
To: maxfaraday

I have noted this post and if it continues, there will be consequences for you.
Sergeant 1st Class maxfaraday

Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Resign button for trench 1vs1s

Postby sirgermaine on Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:57 pm

Well, in team games this would raise the question of what happens to all your land when you resign. Do your spoils go away? If your teammates can benefit in any way from you resigning, it will probably get abused.
Major sirgermaine

Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1)

Re: Resign button for trench 1vs1s

Postby Woodruff on Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:08 pm

maxfaraday wrote:Concise description:
  • An option to resign in trench 1vs1 games

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • Seems pretty obvious to me, especially for speed games

Also, this might be a good idea for team games like 2vs2, 3vs3 and 4vs4.

It seems to me that if you're unwilling to muddle through a trench game to the conclusion, you probably shouldn't be playing trench games to begin with. I would suggest not playing trench games rather than opening up an avenue for abuse.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Postby agentcom on Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:21 am

Another topic MERGED. Searching is your friend.
Colonel agentcom

General Contribution (2)

Postby maxfaraday on Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:39 am

agentcom wrote:Another topic MERGED. Searching is your friend.

Did you take the time to read my suggestion or did you immediately merged it when you saw "resign" in the title?

I know it has been suggested before and always rejected.

What I suggest concerns ONLY 1vs1 trench games;
-no abuse possible (apart from sd and multis but that's already forbidden so...)
-no waste of time when the outcome of the game is already known
To: maxfaraday

I have noted this post and if it continues, there will be consequences for you.
Sergeant 1st Class maxfaraday

Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby fadedpsychosis on Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:56 am

maxfaraday wrote:What I suggest concerns ONLY 1vs1 trench games;
-no abuse possible (apart from sd and multis but that's already forbidden so...)
-no waste of time when the outcome of the game is already known

please read bottom line of post #1

Marvaddin wrote:Note from Sully/TFO:

A surrender button has been suggested and rejected many times. In fact, this site used to have a surrender button but it was abused and hence the button was removed. This thread is a complilation of over 100 threads of people asking for Surrender Buttons or Resign Boxes or Forfeit Flags and the exasperated rejections of handfuls of moderators. It's not going to happen.

If you insist on wasting time by starting a unique thread, I insist you read through this one first to be certain your idea has not already been rejected.

No, it won't be added for certain game types either.
Private fadedpsychosis

PreviousNext

Return to Rejected Suggestions