Conquer Club

Re: 1588 Spanish Armada [16.01.14] V45 Fixes

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: 1588 Spanish Armada [21.7.12] V17-P12 Gameplay?

Postby iancanton on Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:54 pm

there are two ships called san juan: one is close to capitania and the other is close to san juan de portugal.

exmoore, bridgewater, portsmith and is of wight ought to be exmoor, bridgwater, portsmouth and i of wight respectively.

swindon is a railway town and wasn't more than a village in the elizabethan period; perhaps replace this by salisbury.

eddystone is a lighthouse, not a town; eddystone lb might be replaced by truro lb, since eddystone has no land, though the battle is correctly called eddystone.

http://www.trinityhouse.co.uk/lighthouses/lighthouse_list/eddystone.html

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Re: 1588 Spanish Armada [24.7.12] V17-P12 Gameplay?

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:55 pm

iancanton wrote:there are two ships called san juan: one is close to capitania...
this one is replaced by San Buenaventura
exmoore, bridgewater, portsmith and is of wight ought to be exmoor, bridgwater, portsmouth and i of wight respectively.

Done
swindon is a railway town and wasn't more than a village in the elizabethan period; perhaps replace this by salisbury.
Done

eddystone is a lighthouse, not a town; eddystone lb might be replaced by truro lb, since eddystone has no land, though the battle is correctly called eddystone. Done
http://www.trinityhouse.co.uk/lighthouses/lighthouse_list/eddystone.html

...and done! :)

Refesh for V17
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby iancanton on Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:50 pm

each position needs 2 shields (command vessel and either land base or supply ship); the 3rd shield is irrelevant because there is no permanent association between that territory and its initial monarch.

most supply ships are ss. however, amor is sss and so is the example in the legend.

is there room to write battle of eddystone, battle of portland and so on in the legend, so that the significance of these is obvious? i thought the bonus was for holding areas of empty sea for no particular reason.

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby cairnswk on Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:04 pm

iancanton wrote:each position needs 2 shields (command vessel and either land base or supply ship); the 3rd shield is irrelevant because there is no permanent association between that territory and its initial monarch.

Granted they may not be needed, but i'll leave them there for now as they as starting territory indicators and will remove them when we have got the xml approved. ;)
most supply ships are ss. however, amor is sss and so is the example in the legend.
:oops: Fixed.

is there room to write battle of eddystone, battle of portland and so on in the legend, so that the significance of these is obvious?
i thought the bonus was for holding areas of empty sea for no particular reason.

Sure it! Done.
Private cairnswk

Re: 1588 Spanish Armada [26.7.12] V18-P12 Gameplay?

Postby cairnswk on Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:52 pm

Version 18.
I fixed those things ian wanted above...
and synced all the border lines on the terrs.

Hopefully gameplay can be wrapped up shortly, then i am thinking of importing this into PS to try for some special effects :)

Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Postby iancanton on Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:56 pm

instead of hold a monarch & their treasury +11, hold a monarch & entire treasury +11 removes any doubt about the meaning, as well as sounding less awkward.

beacons can be lit only from open-top borders is more precise than beacons can only be lit from open-top borders: the latter might mean that they can be lit but not be bombarded.

some changes to the treasury wording to reserve the word territory to mean non-treasury region, as mentioned before: monarch (+1M - starting region) can conquer own +1T treasury square to earn +1 autodeploy bonus.

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:34 pm

iancanton wrote:instead of hold a monarch & their treasury +11, hold a monarch & entire treasury +11 removes any doubt about the meaning, as well as sounding less awkward.

Done

beacons can be lit only from open-top borders is more precise than beacons can only be lit from open-top borders: the latter might mean that they can be lit but not be bombarded.

he he. you're correct there, but i wasn't intending them to be bombarded, thanks for opening up that aspect...
I have changed this to:
"beacons can be lit only from open-top borders or from one-way arrows; they cannot be bombarded"

some changes to the treasury wording to reserve the word territory to mean non-treasury region, as mentioned before: monarch (+1M - starting region) can conquer own +1T treasury square to earn +1 autodeploy bonus.

the word territory has been removed from all wording so that it doesn't become confused with T for Treasury.
thanks again ian. :)
please refresh v18 for update.
Private cairnswk

Re: 1588 Spanish Armada [28.7.12] V18-P12 Gameplay?

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:43 pm

Version 18
Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Postby nolefan5311 on Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:31 pm

Are you comfortable with getting this one ready for the GP stamp cairns?
Captain nolefan5311

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:13 am

nolefan5311 wrote:Are you comfortable with getting this one ready for the GP stamp cairns?

yes nelofan5311, as long as ian is happy with these bonuses etc.
and i'd still like to know from the "boss" or whoever if this is going to create "issues" with the game engine.
Private cairnswk

Postby nolefan5311 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:25 am

cairnswk wrote:
nolefan5311 wrote:Are you comfortable with getting this one ready for the GP stamp cairns?

and i'd still like to know from the "boss" or whoever if this is going to create "issues" with the game engine.

What issues? The size of the xml file?

And we will go ahead and get this stickied.
Captain nolefan5311

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:03 am

nolefan5311 wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

no, the fact that the engine only allows for 8 players at present...and what happens with the 12 starting slots/colours?
I have asked about this in other threads.
Private cairnswk

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:22 am

cairnswk wrote:
nolefan5311 wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

no, the fact that the engine only allows for 8 players at present...and what happens with the 12 starting slots/colours?

Can you explain the issue to me, please? or can you point me where you asked? thanks :)
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:22 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
nolefan5311 wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

Can you explain the issue to me, please? or can you point me where you asked? thanks :)

Sure tnb80...

1. we know we can play 8 player games officially.
we know we can play battle royal maps officially.
Is there capability in the system/game engine for a 12 player 1v1 game, and the various combinations that rise from 12 players i.e. 6 x doubles teams, 4 x triples, 3 x quads, 2 x sextiples?

2. what are the 4 extra colours that would be allocated to players 9, 10, 11, and 12.
Discussed here
and here
Private cairnswk

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:06 pm

For #1 you have to wait a bit, right now I don't have an answer.
For #2, Ender has given to you the right answer. Actually we have 8 colors, all others are random.

Postby Winged Cat on Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:05 pm

Suggested rewording of Command Vessels, for compactness & clarity:

* consist of Bow & Stern
* the non-white sections are impassible
* Bow & Stern can assault each other & adjacent
vessels, or any other Monarch's (M) position in
the Treasury (e.g., Victory can not assault
Seymour but could assault Drake or Medrano)
* are not part of "Single Ships of same Nation"

On the right side, "assault & fort" should be just "assault". Fort is implied, and can be affected by gameplay choices.

Losing condition: is that any non-treasury region? For instance, if I held just LB Army Brussel and Drake M, would I be safe (so far as holding just two territories can be considered "safe")? Or would I need to hold one of Drake's other territories (his LB, Swiftsure, or one of Revenge's zones)?

What are the non-special-color monarch-stamped ships (such as Swiftsure and Diana) good for, if they aren't wards against elimination?

Why is SS Paxat La Isabela a different color than the other Spanish supply ships?

Are Elizabeth and Philip regions in play? Their graphics in "Hold a Monarch & entire Treasury" suggest they are, but I don't see army markings on them. The +11 seems a lot more than the +5 that the top row of the treasury is marked. Or did you mean that the +11 is if you conquer all of one side's monarchs & treasury locations, on top of the +5 you get from each of the 6 columns? That seems pithy if so, since you're already getting +30 from the columns; if it's meant to be a huge unbeatable bonus similar to Arms Race, it should be at least +100.
Sergeant 1st Class Winged Cat

Postby thenobodies80 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:00 pm

cairnswk wrote:
1. Is there capability in the system/game engine for a 12 player 1v1 game, and the various combinations that rise from 12 players i.e. 6 x doubles teams, 4 x triples, 3 x quads, 2 x sextiples?

Unfortunately the answer is no.
But you can change the map in future when and if we will have a 12 players option. ;)

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:49 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
1. Is there capability in the system/game engine for a 12 player 1v1 game, and the various combinations that rise from 12 players i.e. 6 x doubles teams, 4 x triples, 3 x quads, 2 x sextiples?

Unfortunately the answer is no.
But you can change the map in future when and if we will have a 12 players option. ;)

Mmmm. that's a shame, i hope lack takes the opportunity to change things...but that may/may not happen.

Ah, the map is already set-up for 12 players, so i will leave it as it is and the enhancement of 12 player mode in the future will make the map playable fully then. For now it will have to be coded as 8 player start.
Private cairnswk

Re: 1588 Spanish Armada [1.8.12] V19-P13 Gameplay?

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:42 pm

thanks Winged Cat for your contributions and discsussion. :)
Winged Cat wrote:Suggested rewording of Command Vessels, for compactness & clarity:

* consist of Bow & Stern
* the non-white sections are impassible
* Bow & Stern can assault each other & adjacent
vessels, or any other Monarch's (M) position in
the Treasury (e.g., Victory can not assault
Seymour but could assault Drake or Medrano)
* are not part of "Single Ships of same Nation"

Changed to:
* consist of Bow & Stern
* the non-white sections are impassable
* Bow & Stern can assault each other & adjacent vessels or any player's Monarch (M) position e.g. Triumph B to Frobisher M or Medrano M
* are not part of the "Single Ships of same
Nation" bonus i.e. +1 for 9

On the right side, "assault & fort" should be just "assault". Fort is implied, and can be affected by gameplay choices.

i'd like to leave the "fort" part in there as even though it is implied, it makes it distinctly more apparent what you can do.

Losing condition: is that any non-treasury region? For instance, if I held just LB Army Brussel and Drake M, would I be safe (so far as holding just two territories can be considered "safe")?

I've changed that in the text as below (i think it will be easier to code with any Monarch region)
Losing Condition: Players failing to hold any
non-treasury region and a Monarch region will be eliminated

Or would I need to hold one of Drake's other territories (his LB, Swiftsure, or one of Revenge's zones)?

These regions are part of non-treasury regions so you could hold these.
But if you don't hold one of these and a Monarch region, then you're eleminated

What are the non-special-color monarch-stamped ships (such as Swiftsure and Diana) good for, if they aren't wards against elimination?

They are "good for" because they are the 4th starting position that cannot be attacked from a Treasury position in the starting rounds of the game. Done this way to ensure that players are not eleminated in very early rounds.
They are Commander stamped only for now to show starting positions.
They are part of the Non-treasury regions.

Why is SS Paxat La Isabela a different color than the other Spanish supply ships?

Fixed.

Are Elizabeth and Philip regions in play? Their graphics in "Hold a Monarch & entire Treasury" suggest they are, but I don't see army markings on them.

No, they are only representative of the two national sides in the map. They are non-playable regions but do have a representational connection with each Monarch region on each side.

The +11 seems a lot more than the +5 that the top row of the treasury is marked. Or did you mean that the +11 is if you conquer all of one side's monarchs & treasury locations, on top of the +5 you get from each of the 6 columns? That seems pithy if so, since you're already getting +30 from the columns; if it's meant to be a huge unbeatable bonus similar to Arms Race, it should be at least +100.

Changed that to " Hold a Monarch & corresponding Treasury...+11"
it means if you hold the entire column for each Commander you get +11 on top of whatever autodeploy bonus you earn in that column.

Version 19
Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Postby pamoa on Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:49 am

cairnswk wrote:
Winged Cat wrote:What are the non-special-color monarch-stamped ships (such as Swiftsure and Diana) good for, if they aren't wards against elimination?
They are "good for" because they are the 4th starting position that cannot be attacked from a Treasury position in the starting rounds of the game.
Done this way to ensure that players are not eleminated in very early rounds.
correct me if I'm wrong but
if in first round I successfully bombard the Monarch position from another player
he is eliminated without being able to even start to play
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby nolefan5311 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:58 am

pamoa wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
Winged Cat wrote:What are the non-special-color monarch-stamped ships (such as Swiftsure and Diana) good for, if they aren't wards against elimination?
They are "good for" because they are the 4th starting position that cannot be attacked from a Treasury position in the starting rounds of the game.
if in first round I successfully bombard the Monarch position from another player

That player would still hold all of his non-Treasury regions (his supply ship/land base, command vessel, etc).

Cairns, it might be simpler to just state, "Players holding only Treasury Regions (not including a Monarch) will be eliminated". Just a suggestion.
Captain nolefan5311

Postby cairnswk on Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:58 am

pamoa wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

do you think that will be possible with monarch holding 6 armies and you only have 2 on commander plus whatever the drop is - Max 3 :?:
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:01 am

nolefan5311 wrote:....
That player would still hold all of his non-Treasury regions (his supply ship/land base, command vessel, etc).
Cairns, it might be simpler to just state, "Players holding only Treasury Regions (not including a Monarch) will be eliminated". Just a suggestion.

Ah. not really nolefan5311. the requirement is non-treasury regions AND the monarch not being held for elimination and i prefer to keep that. thanks for the suggestion though. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby nolefan5311 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:30 am

cairnswk wrote:
nolefan5311 wrote:....

Ah. not really nolefan5311. the requirement is non-treasury regions AND the monarch not being held for elimination and i prefer to keep that. thanks for the suggestion though. :)

Right, if a player loses all his non-Treasury regions and a Monarch, they lose the game (meaning they hold only Treasury regions). I worded it the way I did since the Monarch's could possibly be mistaken as a Treasury region since it's so close to the Treasury regions.So something simple like "players holding only Treasury Regions will be eliminated" is a little more succinct than it currently is. Or, maybe having the Monarch regions as having a distinguishing outline or make them a different color entirely?
Captain nolefan5311

Postby pamoa on Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:40 pm

cairnswk wrote:
pamoa wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
do you think that will be possible with monarch holding 6 armies and you only have 2 on commander plus whatever the drop is - Max 3 :?:
in a triple game very easy
you pick the third player of the other team and make a triple attack before he can ever play
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas