Conquer Club

XML Update: Finally!! LOL

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: XML Update: Finally!! LOL

Postby zimmah on Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:00 pm

Nola_Lifer wrote:When was the last XML update prior to this one? How many updates do we get a year on average? 1 or 2?

lol, more like one every 4 years.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:58 pm

MrBenn wrote:Secondly, there needs to be some clarification about how conditional borders and conditional bonuses work...
Imagine a French Revolution map, where there was a condition required to be able to attack the Bastille. Holding French Revoutionaries would be required to build up a bonus (imagine there's 7 key leaders, which are coded to give a bonus for holding 3 or more). The condition is coded that you need to hold the Revolutionary Leaders to attack the Bastille. Do you need to hold all 7 of them to open the attack option, or any three of them?

lackattack wrote:For conditional borders (or anything else like subcontinent references), a continent is considered "held" if you hold the continent-level required irrespective of the bonus levels.

So, if you want to set a specific number you need to code an additional/separated bonus with its own name and use it for the conditional border.
If you want i can post some code using your example. ;)

ManBungalow wrote:Questions about conditional borders;

Is the conditional border activated immediately after the dependent region/continent is taken, or does one have to wait until their next turn to make an attack along the conditional route ?

My thinking is that the game log doesn't explicitly recognise a bonus as having been captured until it actually grants the bonus next turn.

If it does immediately take effect, then some creative people could have fun adding killer neutrals to the mix.

Similarly - if one is in a freestyle game and holds the trigger region at the start of a turn, and loses it during the turn but before making an attack, can you still attack through the conditional route ?

etc

Like losing conditions:

lackattack wrote:The conditional border is activated/disactivated immediately when you conquer or lose the condition.
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby Kabanellas on Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:46 am

Congrats on the updates, the conditional borders seem like a very 'juicy' option...

Still waiting on that 'killer neutral' change to make The Age of Buccaneers viable :)
Major Kabanellas

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:58 pm

I have been away for a while and just started playing a game or two lately. I love the conditional border piece. This may prompt a sequel to Monsters! or a return to my "stalled" Conquer 500 map.

Any chance that an update was ever done to allow territories to degrade to zero. I know we have degrade by X amount with a minimum of 1 and reset to X neutral every turn. I am looking for degrade by X every turn and reset to X neutral when 0 is reached.

Thanx

=D=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:48 pm

Nola_Lifer wrote:When was the last XML update prior to this one? How many updates do we get a year on average? 1 or 2?

They've been coming at a rate of around 1 per year. Though admittedly this year it seems like they've been picking up a bit. It was really nice to see Adjacent Attacks/Trench Warfare implemented. It's nice to see the XML finally start to take some baby steps. I do agree that Lack needs to put some serious effort in the XML over the next few months to get the foundry back. There's a bunch of XML updates which should be really easy to code that would really help make the foundry a better place with much more variety. Decay to Neutral and Conditional Autodeploys being the two major ones that come to mind.

I remember when I first saw this site years ago (when my aunt and uncle first joined) the updates were coming at a rate of about one per month, maybe two months at most. At some point they took a drop and never recovered. I'm hoping the recent increase in updates is an indication that we'll be returning to the previous frequency of updates to the site.
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby dolomite13 on Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:03 pm

Can the xml be written in such a way that borders would become closed rather than open based on territories held. For instance I have a territory that can assault any of 8 territories and when I conquer one of them I can no longer assault any of the other 7.

I am guessing using a blocker would do this for me.

Something like this?

Code: Select all
<continent>
<name>A not B</name>
<bonus>0</bonus>
<components>
<component type="mandatory">Sample A 1</component>
<component type="blocker">Sample B 1</component>
<component type="blocker">Sample B 2</component>
<component type="blocker">Sample B 3</component>
<component type="blocker">Sample B 4</component>
<component type="blocker">Sample B 5</component>
<component type="blocker">Sample B 6</component>
<component type="blocker">Sample B 7</component>
<component type="blocker">Sample B 8</component>
</components>
</continent>

<territory>
<name>Sample A 1</name>
<borders>
<border condition="A not B">Sample B 1</border>
<border condition="A not B">Sample B 2</border>
<border condition="A not B">Sample B 3</border>
<border condition="A not B">Sample B 3</border>
<border condition="A not B">Sample B 4</border>
<border condition="A not B">Sample B 5</border>
<border condition="A not B">Sample B 6</border>
<border condition="A not B">Sample B 7</border>
</borders>
<coordinates>
</coordinates>
</territory>

=D=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:57 am

dolomite, pretty sure this could be done if you had a lot of continents with overrides.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby pamoa on Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:05 am

can both new feature be intergrated in the xml guide
so one doesn't have to search all the site to find it
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby thenobodies80 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:11 am

You right, and it's one of the few things I promised to complete before the end of this month. So gimme this week for a final review. :P
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby ManBungalow on Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:08 pm

So,

Is it possible to have a condition upon which,

only when A is held, B can NOT attack C

?
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:44 pm

ManBungalow wrote:So,

Is it possible to have a condition upon which,

only when A is held, B can NOT attack C

?

From what I understand of the code, not yet. But that would make for an interesting variation for gameplay.
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Previous

Return to Foundry Discussions