Conquer Club

General advice on leaving ratings

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

General advice on leaving ratings

Postby hmsps on Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:24 am

It would be handy on a mod answering this.

Is it best really not to leave ratings so as not to fall foul of recent rulings on ratings abuse? It seems to me that the ratings abuse cases are getting out of control so if you do not pick your tags correctly, you could end up with a report to your name.

Come on King A show your face and give us your opinion
Highest score 3372 02/08/12
Highest position 53 02/08/12
Captain hmsps

Re: General advice on leaving ratings

Postby AslanTheKing on Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:27 am

instead of 5 stars, make it 3 stars
that should help
Sergeant 1st Class AslanTheKing

Postby Dibbun on Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:37 am

I usually give only 1 star or 5 star ratings. 1 star means the person outright deadbeated the first 3 rounds or quit and no longer took their turns after it was apparent they lost.

I have also 1 starred after fighting with someone in chat... my 4.4 ratings is a result from my refusal to coddle anyone who bitches about dice, drop, or cards. Find a game in the almost 1500 I've played where I complain about dice and I will quit CC forever...

I did get warned for rating abuse, that was because I would 1 star people who spam that gg shit in games.
nagerous wrote:Dibbun is a well known psychotic from the forums

Army of GOD wrote:Congrats to Dibbun, the white jesus, and all of his mercy and forgiveness.

Jdsizzleslice wrote: So you can crawl back to whatever psychosocial nutjob hole you came from.
Lieutenant Dibbun

Postby deathcomesrippin on Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:30 am

A 1 star rating for deadbeats is fair.

As for tags, I personally hate them. I have used them, but to be honest I don't rate anyone any longer.
Sergeant deathcomesrippin

Postby king achilles on Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:25 am

Ratings page:

Whenever leaving ratings, use caution and good judgement. You are responsible for the ratings that you leave and they become a permanent part of the other member's record, so be sure to leave only FAIR and FACTUAL ratings that relate to the member's behaviour in the game.

http://www.conquerclub.com/public.php?m ... tructions5
Corporal 1st Class king achilles
Support Admin
Support Admin

Postby DiM on Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:40 am

the ratings abuse thing is crap.it is so ambiguously regulated that they can punish/clear according to their own desire.

if you have 1.000 games and leave 10 abusive ratings they'll say:
1. hey, it's a small percentage, we'll let him go - if the accused is a liked person
2. he did abuse 10 people - let's punish him

or if you have 100 games and leave 10 abusive ratings they'll say:
1. hey, it's only 10 ratings, we'll let him go - if the accused is a liked person
2. he did abuse 10% of the people he played against - let's punish him

the ratings system is one of the STUPIDEST things implemented on CC. they did it to lessen the work for the C&A people and created a crappy system that not only doesn't work but also leads to all sorts of erroneous abuse decisions.
the old feedback system was a million times better.

btw with the current ratings system an average player should get 3 stars. so if a guy beats me but i feel like his strategy was average and he even got some help from dice i can leave a 2 star rating for strategy and be FAIR and FACTUAL. instead i'll probably be reported for rating a 2 star in strategy a guy that beat me and it will seem like i'm a sore loser.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby hmsps on Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:58 am

king achilles wrote:Ratings page:

Whenever leaving ratings, use caution and good judgement. You are responsible for the ratings that you leave and they become a permanent part of the other member's record, so be sure to leave only FAIR and FACTUAL ratings that relate to the member's behaviour in the game.

So you are saying its best not to leave a rating if you are unsure?
Captain hmsps

Postby GeneralRisk on Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:54 am

hmsps wrote:

So you are saying its best not to leave a rating if you are unsure?
If u lose a game, probably not the best idea to leave your opponent all 1 s like afroman frequently does and/or did. I rate very few less then 5 stars....most of us know who the idiots are anyway.
Major GeneralRisk

Postby jghost7 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:31 pm

This page is completely useless other than a basic introduction to ratings in general.

Mind you, the entire subject of ratings is itself subjective. If you wish to go as far as punishing, maybe you should just disable it altogether.

It is really absurd for there to actually be something called ratings abuse. One gives ratings based on their opinion and it is done. As there is no standardization for rating players, it would be extremely unfair to judge others ratings base on the subjective view of the mods/mob.

The only way I see ratings going to c&a is when there are significant numbers and apparent intent to misuse ratings. (BTW 10 ratings is not very significant.)

I don't see how the ratings are overly important anyways as most players just leave 5s or 1s. There really is not much effort put in to evaluate the opponents actual performance.

Thanks,

J
Major jghost7

Postby hmsps on Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:56 pm

jghost7 wrote:

This page is completely useless other than a basic introduction to ratings in general.

Mind you, the entire subject of ratings is itself subjective. If you wish to go as far as punishing, maybe you should just disable it altogether.

It is really absurd for there to actually be something called ratings abuse. One gives ratings based on their opinion and it is done. As there is no standardization for rating players, it would be extremely unfair to judge others ratings base on the subjective view of the mods/mob.

The only way I see ratings going to c&a is when there are significant numbers and apparent intent to misuse ratings. (BTW 10 ratings is not very significant.)

I don't see how the ratings are overly important anyways as most players just leave 5s or 1s. There really is not much effort put in to evaluate the opponents actual performance.

Thanks,

J
This really is what i am getting at, most of the ratings abuse cases are a farce so it may as well be scrapped, good or bad ratings are neither here nor there to me now. If i get idiotic ones i just write my own comments on them.
Captain hmsps

Postby Funkyterrance on Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:21 pm

DiM wrote:the ratings abuse thing is crap.it is so ambiguously regulated that they can punish/clear according to their own desire.

if you have 1.000 games and leave 10 abusive ratings they'll say:
1. hey, it's a small percentage, we'll let him go - if the accused is a liked person
2. he did abuse 10 people - let's punish him

or if you have 100 games and leave 10 abusive ratings they'll say:
1. hey, it's only 10 ratings, we'll let him go - if the accused is a liked person
2. he did abuse 10% of the people he played against - let's punish him

the ratings system is one of the STUPIDEST things implemented on CC. they did it to lessen the work for the C&A people and created a crappy system that not only doesn't work but also leads to all sorts of erroneous abuse decisions.
the old feedback system was a million times better.

btw with the current ratings system an average player should get 3 stars. so if a guy beats me but i feel like his strategy was average and he even got some help from dice i can leave a 2 star rating for strategy and be FAIR and FACTUAL. instead i'll probably be reported for rating a 2 star in strategy a guy that beat me and it will seem like i'm a sore loser.

I dunno, I don't think very many people get punished who aren't guilty of it. Any proof is usually just the tip of the iceberg.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby BigBallinStalin on Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:36 pm

What would be your ideal rating system?
Or would you be against all rating systems?
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Funkyterrance on Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:49 pm

hmsps wrote:It would be handy on a mod answering this.

Is it best really not to leave ratings so as not to fall foul of recent rulings on ratings abuse? It seems to me that the ratings abuse cases are getting out of control so if you do not pick your tags correctly, you could end up with a report to your name.

Come on King A show your face and give us your opinion

You have an actual phobia about this don't you? If you get reported, just don't ever rate a player again. That's the road I've taken as of late and gosh it's liberating.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:37 am

I mean, I don't see much of a problem with the rulings on Ratings Abuse cases. If someone gets perma-banned from rating - so what? It's not like that 'punishes' them, really. It simply does away with the problem.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Funkyterrance on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:29 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:I mean, I don't see much of a problem with the rulings on Ratings Abuse cases. If someone gets perma-banned from rating - so what? It's not like that 'punishes' them, really. It simply does away with the problem.

-Sully

Well if you don't think that cutting out someone's tongue is a punishment, I suppose that's true. :mrgreen:
But seriously, I'm all for rating perma-bans. They a truly effective solution to the problem, as Sully puts it.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby fadedpsychosis on Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:34 pm

so we went to ratings from the old system because... it was being abused? and now the new system is being abused...? so why do we bother with a system like this anyway?
John Adams wrote:I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace, that two are called a law firm, and that three or more become a Congress! And by God I have had this Congress!
Private fadedpsychosis

Postby hmsps on Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:47 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:I mean, I don't see much of a problem with the rulings on Ratings Abuse cases. If someone gets perma-banned from rating - so what? It's not like that 'punishes' them, really. It simply does away with the problem.

-Sully
Read what DiM says and thats the problem with the system, most rulings are ok but there are stupid ones too, total lack of consistency
Captain hmsps

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:01 am

fadedpsychosis wrote:so we went to ratings from the old system because... it was being abused? and now the new system is being abused...? so why do we bother with a system like this anyway?

Because shut up and get back to work!

CC will not look favorably upon you in the upcoming evaluation reports!
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby fadedpsychosis on Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:52 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:
fadedpsychosis wrote:so we went to ratings from the old system because... it was being abused? and now the new system is being abused...? so why do we bother with a system like this anyway?

yeeeah, we're going to need you to come in on saturday... and didn't you get the memo about the new cover letter for those TPS reports?
John Adams wrote:I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace, that two are called a law firm, and that three or more become a Congress! And by God I have had this Congress!
Private fadedpsychosis

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:01 pm

fadedpsychosis wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:

yeeeah, we're going to need you to come in on saturday... and didn't you get the memo about the new cover letter for those TPS reports?

<drinks from cup of coffee while banging your girlfriend>

Yeahhh. Oh, yeahhh.
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby fadedpsychosis on Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:53 am

amusingly I lived down the street from where they filmed a lot of that movie...
Private fadedpsychosis

Return to Conquer Club Discussion