Conquer Club

A Good Game?

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

A Good Game?

Postby Grifter on Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:28 pm

I noticed that most people will wish other players "good luck" at the start of a game and at the end will declare "good game". This seems kinda backwards.

If there is going to be good luck I would prefer to have it for myself. I don't want other players to have good luck because it means that I will lose. It should be "fair luck" meaning that it is both evenly good and bad for all players. This will ensure a game is won or lost on strategy and diplomacy.

As for a "good game" that would depend on how everyone played and also whether the luck was even and fair (see above comment). To lose from bad dice rolls or from the actions of a rogue player negates a game being good.

We should wish for a "good game" at the start. That is actually what I want. Not sure what to say at the end. Most times I just thank other players for the game.

Thoughts anyone?
Lieutenant Grifter

Re: A Good Game?

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:20 am

The conventions of competition often dictate some acknowledgement of your opponent(s) at the beginning or end of any 'match.' There are fair number of players that will say 'Have fun' instead of 'Good luck' at the start of the game. I picked it up some years ago after I saw it as an alternative to wishing someone luck!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby trinicardinal on Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:30 am

Generally I'll wish my opponent(s) Good Luck... that doesn't mean that I want to lose.... I hope that I have good luck also - in fact i hope my luck is better than theirs. Sometimes I'll modify my opening remarks to "Good luck, just not better luck than mine :) "

Saying gg, good game, thanks for the game etc at the end are, imo, ways of being polite and just good etiquette overall. I'm not too concerned with which one the person chooses. All in all I see these things as the equivalent of opening and closing handshakes. Many people have different views on this as can be expected but that's my thought on the matter
10:16:35 ‹Ace Rimmer› haven't looked at work in ages
10:42:43 ‹Sackett58› fine, I'll take my panties elsewhere
Captain trinicardinal

Postby Ace Rimmer on Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:38 am

Instead of simply saying "good luck" try these variations:

good luck... TO ME
dtf?
a/s/l?
I fart in your general direction

guaranteed to get a response
Lieutenant Ace Rimmer

Postby BGtheBrain on Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:37 am

Last edited by BGtheBrain on Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain BGtheBrain

Postby Evil Semp on Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:15 pm

On occasion I have posted "good luck to you and better luck to me."
Sergeant 1st Class Evil Semp
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Dibbun on Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:58 pm

A long time ago I was warned for rating abuse because I would give all 1-stars to people who spammed that gg shit after games.

Nowadays I might return the favor but usually won't... only time I'll really post something hostile about it in chat is if the game was particularly bad, such as opponent dropping a bonus and the game being all but over after round 1 or 2.

I may post gg after a big assassin win but that's partially to troll the opposition that I just won a boatload of points ;)
nagerous wrote:Dibbun is a well known psychotic from the forums

Army of GOD wrote:Congrats to Dibbun, the white jesus, and all of his mercy and forgiveness.

Jdsizzleslice wrote: So you can crawl back to whatever psychosocial nutjob hole you came from.
Lieutenant Dibbun

Postby GeneralRisk on Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:37 pm

I usually just say Hi ...not wanting to wish them good luck. At the end of a game I try to say GG to be polite, even after I may have called them some names.
Major GeneralRisk

Postby Iron Butterfly on Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:22 pm

I say" Happy Potato Day" or "May God be with you." It depends on my mood.
Captain Iron Butterfly

Postby crispybits on Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:21 am

I normally stick to "have fun" - in the end that's what we're here for right? It's not like there's a pro series CC that pays big enough prizes to let us quit out day jobs
Major crispybits

Postby fadedpsychosis on Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:15 am

I've noticed while traveling in Europe that a lot of people say "enjoy your meal" to others during lunch/dinner/etc. think I'll start using "enjoy your game"...
Private fadedpsychosis

Postby Denise on Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:23 am

fadedpsychosis wrote:I've noticed while traveling in Europe that a lot of people say "enjoy your meal" to others during lunch/dinner/etc. think I'll start using "enjoy your game"...

That's fine, but the Europeans may not like it. I hear they consider their meals serious business.
Colonel Denise

Postby darth emperor on Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:18 am

Well, as they already said, it's just etiquette you don't have to be so roundabout about this. Even in chess, at the begining of the game (official competitions) we would say at the begining "good luck" while shaking our hands, and at the end the samething but with "good game".

But yes you can say whatever you want to say regardless of the etiquette, atleast in my case I would preffer to see things like AceRimmer said instead of the normal gl. But well, some people are very serious and don't like it...

Denise wrote:
fadedpsychosis wrote:I've noticed while traveling in Europe that a lot of people say "enjoy your meal" to others during lunch/dinner/etc. think I'll start using "enjoy your game"...

That's fine, but the Europeans may not like it. I hear they consider their meals serious business.

Even if we consider meals serious business, that doesn't mean that we'll find "enjoy your game" a derogatory term for foods. After all, what is important about the meal, is the meal, nothing else.
Sergeant 1st Class darth emperor

Postby Funkyterrance on Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:08 pm

crispybits wrote:I normally stick to "have fun" - in the end that's what we're here for right?

Hahahahaha. Obviously you haven't met the other 50% of the cc population.
I don't say good luck because I'm Irish and superstitious.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby BigBallinStalin on Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:38 pm

I always end my games with a pleasant "please go f*ck yourself and your mother"
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Archee on Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:05 am

Good game for me is that which makes me fun. If I have to suggest a name than I refers to Defense games.
New Recruit Archee

Return to Conquer Club Discussion