Conquer Club

Free to Play Speed Games on Classic Map

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Re: Free to play Speed Games on Classic Map

Postby cooldeals on Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:34 am

I was able to get into Whac-A-Mod Speed games right after I started. Otherwise, I wouldn't be Premium.
Colonel cooldeals

Postby nicestash on Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:58 am

Can we put this to a vote? It seems to have widespread support
Major nicestash

Postby agentcom on Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:31 pm

To be honest, I'm not sure if a vote is appropriate in this situation. This suggestion seems like something that should be left up the the owner of the website as it seems to be a suggestion about how to best make the site money and hook users. Other suggestions that get voted on are more about current players and what their preferences are for the site. I don't see how much value anyone would get out of seeing voting results here.
Colonel agentcom

Postby nicestash on Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:11 pm

How do we get lack to look at this?
Major nicestash

Postby *Pixar* on Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:51 pm

+1 nice job CD thats my boy :)
Captain *Pixar*
Chatter
Chatter

Postby agentcom on Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:26 am

nicestash wrote:How do we get lack to look at this?

Out of all the suggestions that get posted, a few move to Sticky, which is where this one is at right now. If there continues to be a lot of support, or well, for whatever reason, it will get moved to Submitted. At that point, it is up to Lack and Lack alone whether to implement it.

OK, there's a lot of the above that is oversimplification, but overall that's how it works. I'm currently working on some organization of older suggestions, but I'd be happy to move this to Submitted when I get to this one. With the caveat that I'm a volunteer and only have a limited amount of time to work on the forum, I don't mind at all if anyone calls me out on this statement in a couple months, if I haven't done so or at least explained why not. As I've said before, I think that this suggestion is great for the site and increases our competitiveness with similar sites. So I have no problem trying to find out if/when/why this will/won't happen.
Colonel agentcom

Postby IditarodGuy on Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:33 am

cooldeals wrote:
Hornet95 wrote:Quick point of information: Give freemies access to 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5-minute classic
-OR- 5 minute only?

I'd be in favor of 5-minute only. 1, 2, 3 and 4 gives away too much.

Also, I wonder if there would be a way to limit it on freemiums to 10, 25, 50, or 100 speed games per month?

To be honest, I don't think 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 makes a difference in whether people will pay or not. I'd actually say only 3-5 because 1-2 minute turn times are actually a disadvantage to someone new to the site. (I've added this info into my OP. Thanks for your comment).

Limiting freemiums on total speed games, might not be a bad idea, but I don't think it should be too restrictive. I can go to other sites and get the same experience I am describing here for free with no limit on games played. People on that site pay for even more minute feature upgrades than playing speed on all the amazing maps on CC.

Disable Newbies to play speed games just like other options are disabled.
Major IditarodGuy

Postby cryinlion on Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:46 pm

should we alllow premium members play with the freemiums in speed games?
i think not cuz some players may farm them
even though i would like to play with my freemium friends in speed game instead of just rts
give me premium or perish
Sergeant 1st Class cryinlion

Postby thehippo8 on Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:14 am

I see that this thread has gone quiet. Not sure what else there is to say but I support the idea wholeheartedly.
ImageImageImage
show
Corporal 1st Class thehippo8

Postby MegaProphet on Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:23 pm

cryinlion wrote:should we alllow premium members play with the freemiums in speed games?
even though i would like to play with my freemium friends in speed game instead of just rts

Just because someone is premium does not mean they're better than a freemium player. Also one of the merits of this suggestion is it prevents farming because there is less of a learning curve playing the Classic map with standard settings.
Corporal MegaProphet

Postby natty dread on Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:31 am

cryinlion wrote:should we alllow premium members play with the freemiums in speed games?

Oh wow, yet another idiotic "BUT THEY GET FARMED" argument. Hasn't this site seen enough crappy, idiotic rules because of so-called "farming"?

USA has "war on terrorism", CC has "war on farming".
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby cooldeals on Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:40 am

I think farming wouldn't be a big issue. These are basic games on classic with fixed settings and 6 people (or whatever the owner wants to allow). Anyway, it's not an ideal set up for farming. At worst they could learn better strategy from a more experience player, but I guarantee there will be lots of bonus monkeys and suiciders among the newbies, so I wouldn't try to farm there. I'd say you want to let everyone join so that there are active games.

The whole goal is to give users a good experience, if only newbies can play and they can't fill a game it's not a good experience. I played on pogo for a long time before I came here and played more on there when I joined here. I almost didn't stay with CC simply because my initial drive that brought me to the site was to play NOW. I think after you get that out of your system you begin to like casual games more, but this will get new players in the door and get them to stay long enough to appreciate how awesome CC is.
Colonel cooldeals

Postby cooldeals on Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:42 am

agentcom wrote:
nicestash wrote:How do we get lack to look at this?

Out of all the suggestions that get posted, a few move to Sticky, which is where this one is at right now. If there continues to be a lot of support, or well, for whatever reason, it will get moved to Submitted. At that point, it is up to Lack and Lack alone whether to implement it.

OK, there's a lot of the above that is oversimplification, but overall that's how it works. I'm currently working on some organization of older suggestions, but I'd be happy to move this to Submitted when I get to this one. With the caveat that I'm a volunteer and only have a limited amount of time to work on the forum, I don't mind at all if anyone calls me out on this statement in a couple months, if I haven't done so or at least explained why not. As I've said before, I think that this suggestion is great for the site and increases our competitiveness with similar sites. So I have no problem trying to find out if/when/why this will/won't happen.

How do we get enough support to get this to "Submitted" can we start a poll of who supports it? I think the little details that people talk about would be decided by the owner anyway since this is just a suggestion to him.
Colonel cooldeals

Postby agentcom on Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:18 am

I don't know how else to say this, but I think that this would be good for the site. There are a lot of suggestions out there that would be "cool" to implement. And they would positively benefit the existing players. But I think this suggestion would actually help us get new users.

OK, personal sentiment over ... I see a lot of people who feel the same way, and I don't see many detractors. Let's move this to SUBMITTED.

Anyone wanna weigh in on what the settings for these games should be?
Colonel agentcom

Postby darth emperor on Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:52 am

agentcom wrote:Anyone wanna weigh in on what the settings for these games should be?

I would say CC default, the first settings you get when you put start a game. (With round limit) and I think is the best idea, if we make it no spoils and the game gets too long, people will get bored, unless if we do that at Round 10 (and then after 5 rounds) ask people if they want to convert the game in casual (all remaining players should accept), like that with this "ads" people will get to know better the 24h games
Sergeant 1st Class darth emperor

Postby cooldeals on Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:45 pm

Default CC seems good to me too.

I just met another new recruit in Live Chat named dunan_t. Same old story, "I have to wait 24 hours for each player?". Had already joined 4 games trying to get to play a turn so he couldn't even RT. CC really needs this imo to keep some of those New Recruits. CC is amazing once you get used to it, but too many people don't even necessarily get to play a turn before they've decided to quit.
Colonel cooldeals

Postby maxfaraday on Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:05 pm

I have a mitigated opinion about this suggestion.
Yes, it would probably make new users stay and maybe buy premium.
But on the other hand there will be too many monkeys and older users will never join/create these games.
I would say ok go for it but limit it to 5 players; they came here to play risk, so 5 players esc classic is what they want, if they enjoy it maybe they'll buy premium, and they're more likely do so if they get a taste of speed games, because that's what they're looking for.
To: maxfaraday

I have noted this post and if it continues, there will be consequences for you.
Sergeant 1st Class maxfaraday

Postby Metsfanmax on Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:23 am

I missed this suggestion while I was on break from CC, but I can say without qualification that this is the best content suggestion I have seen in a long time. I am going to push hard to get this to be the among the first new things implemented from Suggestions.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby chapcrap on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:03 am

I think that this thread may go here as well: viewtopic.php?f=471&t=85439
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Metsfanmax on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:11 am

chapcrap wrote:I think that this thread may go here as well: https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewt ... 71&t=85439

I don't think so. Giving unpaid players access to free speed games on the Classic Map is a gift. If they want to abuse that gift by then asking for more, we can always take the gift away :D

Postby chapcrap on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:30 am

Metsfanmax wrote:
chapcrap wrote:I think that this thread may go here as well: viewtopic.php?f=471&t=85439

I don't think so. Giving unpaid players access to free speed games on the Classic Map is a gift. If they want to abuse that gift by then asking for more, we can always take the gift away :D

Both suggestions are about giving speed games to freemiums.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Metsfanmax on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:32 am

chapcrap wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:
chapcrap wrote:I think that this thread may go here as well: https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewt ... 71&t=85439

Both suggestions are about giving speed games to freemiums.

Sure but this is a very specific suggestion: we're not giving speed games to freemiums in the sense that they can play whatever map they want. They can play classic map only, because that's what most people come here looking to play and that is what will convince them to subscribe to premium. Giving them free speed games in general doesn't really yield an incentive to subscribe to premium.

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:03 pm

Here's my sentiments on this suggestion in no particular order:

First off, I think it's a good idea to at least try. Whether or not it would actually boost membership is still to be determined but I suppose it's worth a shot. However, I think that this suggestion could in some ways be a two-sided coin. You may gain new subscribers from those who get addicted to the game but then again you may lose potential subscribers in that free classic speed games may be all the new recruits want. If I had been able to play free classic speed games when I first joined the site I don't know if I would have decided to buy premium.
This leads me to think that maybe the classic map isn't the best choice for the free speeder option. Perhaps a lesser know, smaller map like Doodle Earth or Luxembourg which would give new recruits a taste of what could be but not giving them exactly what they want.

Another thing that I have to add is that I myself did not buy premium to play speed games, only to get more games going at once. I can't say whether or not this is the reason most players buy premium, just that at least one person was not persuaded by speed games at all.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Metsfanmax on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:31 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:Here's my sentiments on this suggestion in no particular order:

First off, I think it's a good idea to at least try. Whether or not it would actually boost membership is still to be determined but I suppose it's worth a shot. However, I think that this suggestion could in some ways be a two-sided coin. You may gain new subscribers from those who get addicted to the game but then again you may lose potential subscribers in that free classic speed games may be all the new recruits want.

I do not have the numbers for either side of this argument. But I would bet that we lose a significant number of recruits as well because they sign up, realize they can't play any real time games, and just leave.

If I had been able to play free classic speed games when I first joined the site I don't know if I would have decided to buy premium.

For this reason, I think that if we implement this, it should be with a cap on the number of free Classic speed games you can play per month. I do not know what the number should be. 10? 25?

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:44 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:
If I had been able to play free classic speed games when I first joined the site I don't know if I would have decided to buy premium.

For this reason, I think that if we implement this, it should be with a cap on the number of free Classic speed games you can play per month. I do not know what the number should be. 10? 25?

In my opinion it should be a cap on speed games per day, not per month as I think that if someone were to use up their free speeders for the month they would look elsewhere having gotten used to having more or less unlimited speeders for a day or so. Either that or they would have gotten their fill completely of risk in that one day and were sated for another month. It's really a tough call as far as the number though. I think that your 25 a month guess would probably fit but you could maybe even double it if it were a daily cap.
Colonel Funkyterrance

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Suggestions