Escalating etiquette

Information on tactics, scenarios, and all that you'll need to be successful in-game!

Moderators: Global Moderators, Discussions Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Escalating etiquette

Postby darth emperor on Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:02 am

Pershing wrote:Nothing wrong with missing a turn as a strategy but no deadbeating.

Nothing wrong? really?? Can't you simply predicte, that if you get a 5th spoil? you'll cash it by 4??? (or another number). You don't have to be a genius to calculate that... it's as easy as not taking a spoil in your previous round, no one forces you to take a spoil.

And also, if you miss a turn while holding 5 spoils in an escalating while the value goes to be important, it would be surprising that you survive to take another turn. Afterall, this is the best prey in an escalating game.
Sergeant 1st Class darth emperor

Medals: 78
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (8)
General Contribution (2)

Postby Viceroy63 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:55 pm

Most people who play by the rules do frown down on people who miss turns for the simple reason that it delays the game and it also breaks the pattern of play and that is what this is all about. If a player let's his time run out, then it's just an hour or so but for a player to let 24 hours go by is just undesirable for everyone.

Dead beating is another issue but it is also in the negative spot light. In Chess the losing player resigns because it is so obvious that there is nothing that he can do about it. But while there is life there is also hope and I have seen games turn around from a losing position. So dead beating provides no excuse for denying the opponent the full victory. It's just childish really but sometime we are playing with children on CC. Or so it would seem.
An Unproven Hypothesis; The Rise of Ignorance.
Ultimate Proof of Creation. Click the show tab below.
show
Major Viceroy63

Medals: 17
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (1) Training Achievement (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby darth emperor on Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:33 pm

Viceroy63 wrote:Most people who play by the rules do frown down on people who miss turns for the simple reason that it delays the game and it also breaks the pattern of play and that is what this is all about. If a player let's his time run out, then it's just an hour or so but for a player to let 24 hours go by is just undesirable for everyone.

Dead beating is another issue but it is also in the negative spot light. In Chess the losing player resigns because it is so obvious that there is nothing that he can do about it. But while there is life there is also hope and I have seen games turn around from a losing position. So dead beating provides no excuse for denying the opponent the full victory. It's just childish really but sometime we are playing with children on CC. Or so it would seem.

I don't mind if someone misses a turn, things happen, what I cannot grasp, is how people think that a missed turn can be used as strategy. The only ways I see that can be used as a strategy (like 5 spoils in escalating), is because you did something so foolish (like not calculating that if you get 5 spoils you have to trade), that an average player can avoid to do it very easily
Sergeant 1st Class darth emperor

Medals: 78
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (8)
General Contribution (2)

Postby Seulessliathan on Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:57 am

Kaskavel wrote:I consider it to be the correct move. The forced move if you like. I consider clicking begin turn to be equilevant to throwing a game, to suiciding.
Brigadier Seulessliathan

Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (12)

Postby Fewnix on Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:12 pm

Bottom Line: in escalating spoils its more a question of strategy than etiquette whether you skip a turn OR skip taking a tert a turn,

COOL DISCUSSION!!!

thank you all.
Captain Fewnix

Medals: 35
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (3) Training Achievement (1)

Postby Sey69 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:31 pm

Pershing wrote:... Luck and timing cannot be underestimated.

True that.
Sergeant 1st Class Sey69

Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)

Postby Donelladan on Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:33 pm

Not taking a card is OK of course.

Missing a turn is, I think, an abuse of the game when it's made intentionaly. I do not even understand how people can consider it.
You are not supposed to miss turn in the game, I mean risk as not be conceived with the possibility of missing turn, so doing it IS an abuse o the game, according to me.

Example : viewtopic.php?f=239&t=165048&p=3604910&hilit=+city+mogul+miss+turn#p3604910

The example is quite specific but it's "intentionally missing turns to gain advantage" and it got warned. It was freestyle game too.
It's not a rule but I would conclude that missing a turn in freestyle game to avoid to cash IS an abuse.

Of course sometimes u wait to be the last one to cash and miss.
Brigadier Donelladan

Medals: 73
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (9)

Postby Viceroy63 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:21 am

darth emperor wrote:I don't mind if someone misses a turn, things happen, what I cannot grasp, is how people think that a missed turn can be used as strategy. The only ways I see that can be used as a strategy (like 5 spoils in escalating), is because you did something so foolish (like not calculating that if you get 5 spoils you have to trade), that an average player can avoid to do it very easily

I absolutely agree with you Darth.

When I first joined CC I also thought that there was some kind of a strategical advantage in missing turns; At least a psychological advantage in missing turns if not also a very real one with the surprise deferred troops to attack an opponent weak spot on the subsequent turn. But I see now that there are risk as well in missing turns that potentially more than out weight any advantage that one might gain by missing turns. In summation I would have to say that there really is no advantage in missing turns except perhaps when dealing with weaker players but then just sneezing and blowing one's nose may be to one's advantage when playing with weaker players. LOL.

---
show
Major Viceroy63

Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1)

Postby Seulessliathan on Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:37 am

Viceroy63 wrote: In summation I would have to say that there really is no advantage in missing turns except perhaps when dealing with weaker players but then just sneezing and blowing one's nose may be to one's advantage when playing with weaker players. LOL.---

Your conclusion is incorrect. There are some situations where missing a turn gives you a huge advantage which can turn a game which is otherwise lost into a win or at least a great chance to win. Imo there should be a rule about abuse for this behaviour.
Brigadier Seulessliathan

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (12)

Postby aligator_al on Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:32 pm

I have no problem with somebody not taking a card.

But I'm in the camp that says purposefully missing a turn to gain an advantage violates an unwritten rule of the game.
Major aligator_al

Medals: 47
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (7)
Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (9)

Postby Viceroy63 on Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:14 am

Seulessliathan wrote:
Viceroy63 wrote: In summation I would have to say that there really is no advantage in missing turns except perhaps when dealing with weaker players but then just sneezing and blowing one's nose may be to one's advantage when playing with weaker players. LOL.---

Your conclusion is incorrect. There are some situations where missing a turn gives you a huge advantage which can turn a game which is otherwise lost into a win or at least a great chance to win. Imo there should be a rule about abuse for this behaviour.

Well then, could you explain it to me? Because I really do not see how that tactic would work against more experienced players.

show
Major Viceroy63

Postby Seulessliathan on Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:13 pm

Viceroy63 wrote:
Seulessliathan wrote:

Well then, could you explain it to me? Because I really do not see how that tactic would work against more experienced players.

Have you send a pm to Kaskavel and mc05025? If not, please do this first. If you did and got a negative response, let me know please, then i will explain it to you.
Brigadier Seulessliathan

Clan Achievement (12)

Postby oss spy on Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:07 pm

Missing a turn is not against the rules, but it's what we here like to call a "dick move." I personally rate those people with 1 star all around.
2012-04-05 19:05:58 - Eagle Orion: For the record, my supposed irrationality has kept me in the game well enough. Just in rather bizaare fashion.

2012-04-05 19:06:28 - nathanmoore04: Look at your troop count...
Corporal 1st Class oss spy

Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby 72o on Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:14 pm

It is poor etiquette to call one person out and tell them "gg, nice positioning" when all 8 people are still in the game and no one has even attempted an elimination run.

Some idiot just did this to me and of course I got eliminated immediately thereafter when multiple people started attacking me.
Sergeant 72o

Medals: 34
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (5)

Postby pickleofdoom on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:13 pm

**accidentally hit "quote" instead of "edit". see below...

:?
Last edited by pickleofdoom on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel pickleofdoom

Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Training Achievement (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Strategy