Conquer Club

Mafia Tournament

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Mafia Tournament

Postby safariguy5 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:50 pm

jgordon1111 wrote:
safariguy5 wrote:
jgordon1111 wrote:Then try having the MOD along with 2 other non in game players that have alot of MOD experience decide who gets points,depending on roles and gameplay, You guys know who is floating and who is playing,that along with their respective role no matter what it is,what and how much they contributed. example if they were a VT that during gameplay specifically drew mafia out to kill them instead of a power role.

obverse of this would be someone who wanted to BW lynch everyone that was put forward with no evidence,even a player who is mafia is not that dumb.

By that approach, we open ourselves up to certain player biases. Certainly, the more experienced we are, the chummier we tend to be with other experienced players. It's like the C&A forum, there's a possibility for disconnect with what the community believes should be right and what the mods think is right. I'd prefer a vote of the top 3 or whatever and award points that way because the players of the game have read every post and certainly know where the pivotal moments are.

I understand what your saying SAF,and the reason I put in my statement experienced mods,was to try and get them to be unbiased. the players put forth the players they think were the best,then the MODS award the points.

Inherent flaw in your plan chuck,players would have to be assigned roles in order to ensure points were even. Then you get to the last couple of games you then just deduce who havent had what roles,mafia dies quickly. probably D1

I'm fine with that idea. Have the players nominate the best players, and then have the mods decide who gets the most points, 2nd most, etc. If people like that system for awarding points, I'm happy with it as well.
Captain safariguy5

Postby edocsil on Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:52 am

safariguy5 wrote:I'm fine with that idea. Have the players nominate the best players, and then have the mods decide who gets the most points, 2nd most, etc. If people like that system for awarding points, I'm happy with it as well.

Seconded. MVP the top 3, and not necessarily from the winning side. I have seen some brilliant moves lately, that may or not be rewarded with a win.
Edoc'sil

Commander9 wrote:Trust Edoc, as I know he's VERY good.

zimmah wrote:Mind like a brick.
Sergeant 1st Class edocsil

Postby aage on Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:51 am

In the third round each game will auto-lynch the player with the highest score so far to prevent him from gaining points (since dead players cannot play). You would have to find a way to avoid that scenario. Giving more points to certain roles in case of a win does not seem fair to me with the possible exception of an SK, which I simply suggest not to include.

I like the suggestion put forward by Saf, but I fear people will look for personal gain in ranking rather than what actually is fair. They're mafia players, after all.
Sergeant 1st Class aage

Postby jak111 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:00 am

aage wrote:In the third round each game will auto-lynch the player with the highest score so far to prevent him from gaining points (since dead players cannot play). You would have to find a way to avoid that scenario. Giving more points to certain roles in case of a win does not seem fair to me with the possible exception of an SK, which I simply suggest not to include.

I like the suggestion put forward by Saf, but I fear people will look for personal gain in ranking rather than what actually is fair. They're mafia players, after all.

This is why points would be of secrecy among the mods. The points would only be revealed at the end of the tourny, all people will know is that they got enough to get passed through to the next round.
Highest Rank:
Major:2157

"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers"

Jak Eliminator: Prison Riot [0/16] *Sign Ups*
Private 1st Class jak111

Postby LSU Tiger Josh on Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:16 pm

as i suggested to jak when he first opened this have the last 4 or so spots be picked by the mods to fix overlooked great play. if need be i can increase alphabet mzfia to 24 players and mod round 1 by postponing it slightly since i have had several successful games before or even do a civil war type setup if players preferred that
LSU Tiger Josh
The man, the myth, the legend has returned.
Corporal LSU Tiger Josh

Postby aage on Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:18 pm

jak111 wrote:
aage wrote:In the third round each game will auto-lynch the player with the highest score so far to prevent him from gaining points (since dead players cannot play). You would have to find a way to avoid that scenario. Giving more points to certain roles in case of a win does not seem fair to me with the possible exception of an SK, which I simply suggest not to include.

This is why points would be of secrecy among the mods. The points would only be revealed at the end of the tourny, all people will know is that they got enough to get passed through to the next round.

I know, but if mods would judge the game fairly players should be more than capable of deciphering which players have generally scored best. Still, if the points are kept secret that's good and I would play.
Sergeant 1st Class aage

Postby jak111 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:32 pm

Another question would be, is there a theme? If so, what around? Spies? Religion (Touchy subject, but has plenty of good potential characters, and I mean not in the actual god, jesus, etc concept, but Templars and other religious wars)? Mythology? Science Fiction? etc.

Hmmm... I think we should withhold role PM's AND Night Actions until the end of the tournament, this would give players less of a view of who's doing what and how good.

Also, should the games have standard roles? Rare? Unique?

The mafia:town ratio should be either 1:3 or 1:4 or somewhere in between. I think Safari is good with balancing that sort of thing.

Also, how much should the 3rd parties be waged into it? Are they almost their own faction by having 2-3, or is it a single survivor/SK/Cult?

Do we have multiple mafia factions? If so, how many? Balance?

Do we have multiple town factions to throw people off? If so, what are the results if cop of Town A investigates a player from town B? Guilty? Innocent?

These are some of the factors and little things that must be thought about. Although I'm thinking the first two rounds can be whatever, but the final shouldn't be any game changer roles or bs roles, just standard Mafia. No Dethy's or anything like that. While the first two rounds could be whatever to test people's abilities to play.

Another thing about setting them up is that we strain the player's ability to play here. We don't make it too easy, nor too hard, but we make it so they must use every bit of knowledge they pick up from other mafia games.
Highest Rank:
Major:2157

"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers"

Jak Eliminator: Prison Riot [0/16] *Sign Ups*
Private 1st Class jak111

Postby zimmah on Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:54 pm

vodean wrote:
edocsil wrote:
thechuck51 wrote:What about this?

say you have 24 players, they get randomly split into two groups of 12.

Each group plays an identical 12 player open setup. then maybe each player is awarded points based on their play.
NK = 1pt
Doc save = 1pt
block a kill = 1 pt
lynch scum = 1 pt for each townie
lynch town = 1 pt for each mafia

or even just award points based on who wins. repeat for a couple more rounds and the person with the most points wins?

It first I was nodding along, but really when it comes down to it, winning is all. Doing well means nothing if you fail in the end.
also, unless town gets very lucky, there are going to be many more scum-points earned than town ones. which means that people like me that get a lot of scum roles auto-win.

i think it should be 10 games or something, played 2 at a time or something. fixed open set-up in each game. the person with the highest win % as each allignments wins.

No, his system seems a bit like my Romeo and Juliet mafia. Not really like traditional mafia.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby LSU Tiger Josh on Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:54 pm

not sure who you were talking to zimmah but there is nothing wrong with nontraditional mafia to keep players on their toes. if you were referring to me i have done several traditional and nontraditional mafia games back when i modded a lot
LSU Tiger Josh
The man, the myth, the legend has returned.
Corporal LSU Tiger Josh

Postby edocsil on Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:14 pm

jak111 wrote:

Or we could just modkill for gross abuse of the system.
Edoc'sil

Postby / on Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:35 pm

I'd be glad to help mod if you still need me. :D
I like chuck's idea, but perhaps more individual achievements than an escalating scale, since the later can get sort of meta.
More players with minor ulterior motives like usurpers, town with slight lyncher goals, or players who want to keep specific players alive.
"You are the town vigilante
You receive one point if you personally kill the mafia roleblocker
3 points if town wins
3 points if you personally kill the mafia godfather
3 points if you never hit town with a kill"
Sergeant 1st Class /

Postby edocsil on Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:54 pm

/ wrote:I'd be glad to help mod if you still need me. :D
I like chuck's idea, but perhaps more individual achievements than an escalating scale, since the later can get sort of meta.
More players with minor ulterior motives like usurpers, town with slight lyncher goals, or players who want to keep specific players alive.
3 points if town wins

I could be down for this. Points shouldn't be public, and that will keep down on the Meta, and prevent issues. Give each character a few "tasks" for a reasonable amount of points, rather than for every successive action.
Edoc'sil

Postby safariguy5 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:29 pm

edocsil wrote:
/ wrote:I'd be glad to help mod if you still need me. :D
3 points if town wins

I could be down for this. Points shouldn't be public, and that will keep down on the Meta, and prevent issues. Give each character a few "tasks" for a reasonable amount of points, rather than for every successive action.

Might take a bit of discussion about point values between the mods to standardize things, but it definitely could be interesting.

As for theme, I don't think it matters. If it's objective based, then I'd put just about any role on the table. Lynchers and survivors, SKer's and Cult. Multiple mafia factions even.
Captain safariguy5

Previous

Return to Mafia Discussions