Conquer Club

CC is declining again!

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: Is CC Declining?

Postby Woodruff on Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:37 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
Gillipig wrote:
isaiah40 wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:That is one of the problems there. Letsplayriskonline.com shows up above all, and it gives its highest rating to majcommand. Anyone who goes to P.O.R. and checks out the ratings will naturally follow the link to majcommand first.

This just goes to show that lack needs a new UI. Scrap that, lack needs to totally revamp the site, not just a couple of tweaks here and there.

Upon reading the reviews I'm more tempted to visit landgrab than CC lol. The review is fair though. CC has a horrible interface! You can't go six years without giving a site a facelift! I'm surprised there are any if us left to discuss this when we have such an ugly site. We have pretty maps but an ugly site!
The problem with all the other sites is that they basically have none existing community. It's the hardest thing to build up and it's taken for granted by the owner of this site.

I keep hearing people saying this, but personally I prefer the interface here. I like things nice and neat. I don't mind nice graphics when they serve an elucidatory purpose, but unecessary graphics just for the sake of showing off really annoy me. Can't stand all those garish blotches of colour splashed all over majcommand. Looks like somebody is throwing paint cans at my face. Kinda scares me off the site.

I don't have any problem with the design of the site itself, either (i.e. "the look and feel"). For me (and I realize this is a personal thing), it's not at all a deterrent to my enjoyment and I think there are many, many more important things for lack to put his time into before that comes on the list.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby vodean on Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:25 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
Gillipig wrote:
isaiah40 wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:That is one of the problems there. Letsplayriskonline.com shows up above all, and it gives its highest rating to majcommand. Anyone who goes to P.O.R. and checks out the ratings will naturally follow the link to majcommand first.

This just goes to show that lack needs a new UI. Scrap that, lack needs to totally revamp the site, not just a couple of tweaks here and there.

Upon reading the reviews I'm more tempted to visit landgrab than CC lol. The review is fair though. CC has a horrible interface! You can't go six years without giving a site a facelift! I'm surprised there are any if us left to discuss this when we have such an ugly site. We have pretty maps but an ugly site!
The problem with all the other sites is that they basically have none existing community. It's the hardest thing to build up and it's taken for granted by the owner of this site.

I keep hearing people saying this, but personally I prefer the interface here. I like things nice and neat. I don't mind nice graphics when they serve an elucidatory purpose, but unecessary graphics just for the sake of showing off really annoy me. Can't stand all those garish blotches of colour splashed all over majcommand. Looks like somebody is throwing paint cans at my face. Kinda scares me off the site.

i for one agree completely.
the site does need a facelift, but perhaps we could facelift it to something simple yet modern.
<NoSurvivorsā€ŗ then vote chuck for being an info whore
Sergeant vodean

Postby Dako on Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:42 am

Natty is right. We are not talking about graphics here but about user experience. How comfortable things are here? How useful each button is? Should we enlarge it or move it or remove it? And so on. Some pages need a total revamp but some need just minor tweaks.

After they do the user experience job they can think about graphics and design.
Colonel Dako

Postby natty dread on Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:44 am

Dako wrote:Natty is right. We are not talking about graphics here but about user experience. How comfortable things are here? How useful each button is? Should we enlarge it or move it or remove it? And so on. Some pages need a total revamp but some need just minor tweaks.

After they do the user experience job they can think about graphics and design.

Exactly. The user interface is what needs work. Although the graphics are also kind of mediocre, and could stand to be improved, it's a secondary issue.

The interface is the main issue. The game page is the worst offender here - the side bar is totally unncessary on the game page, and takes room away from the map. The game page is needlessly crammed full of stuff that most of the time is never needed at the same time, necessitating way too much needless scrolling. The side bar should be integrated with the page header, to give more room for the game controls. The stats table, game chat and game log could all be organized in different tabs, this should be easy to do even with a java interface. Alternatively, each of them could have a show/hide button to minimize them when they aren't needed. This should be even easier to accomplish.

Join a game, start a game & game finder pages all need work too, but this has already been discussed recently - mainly they could use some improvements and organization.

Forums are the least priority, they follow the basic phpbb format and should thus be familiar to most people, so there's not much need for changes there.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby OliverFA on Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:43 pm

Gillipig wrote:To everyone's great surprise I can now report that we've hit a new low. 14433 souls.

14577 at the moment. Is that a small rise to continue going down? However now it's July and at this moment of the year the statement that "many people are on holiday" is true. I am interested to see if the trend will continue in September.
Welcoming the long awaited Trench Warfare Setting (Previously Adjacent Attacks).

My Maps:
Research and Conquer - Civilization meets Conquer Club

Best score: 2,346 - Best position: #618 - Best percentile: 4.87%
Private OliverFA

Postby notyou2 on Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:50 pm

OliverFA wrote:
Gillipig wrote:To everyone's great surprise I can now report that we've hit a new low. 14433 souls.

14577 at the moment. Is that a small rise to continue going down? However now it's July and at this moment of the year the statement that "many people are on holiday" is true. I am interested to see if the trend will continue in September.

Chalk it up to possibly the new medal available and perhaps the Battle Royale tab.
Captain notyou2

Postby hoytdwow on Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:18 pm

if the d-bag mods don't back off, I ain't going to be around much longer.
Sergeant 1st Class hoytdwow

Postby natty dread on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:41 am

OliverFA wrote:

In september... what? The membership count has been dropping since 2009, this is not some seasonal variation here - just in the last year CC has lost 2500 members, and in the last 3 years CC has lost 8500.

Postby tkr4lf on Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:03 am

natty dread wrote:The stats table, game chat and game log could all be organized in different tabs, this should be easy to do even with a java interface. Alternatively, each of them could have a show/hide button to minimize them when they aren't needed. This should be even easier to accomplish.

This is the only part of your post that I don't agree with.

I know this is a personal opinion, and not all will agree, but I find having them organized into different tabs (MajCommand) to be incredibly annoying and time consuming to use. I like the way CC has it set up at the moment in this aspect. Sure, chatting can be tough if you're discussing strategy with teammates and have to keep scrolling up and down to look at the map and chat, etc., but I think it's 100% better than the way it's organized at MajCom.

Honestly, I hate that site. The maps are pretty, but boring to me. Plus, I'm really used to having all of the information on the map itself, which is very nice. Having to scroll down and click on some different tab just to see what a continent bonus is worth is a pain in the ass. Then, you have the fact that there is almost no community. Anytime I get on there, I see about 4 users online.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that we shouldn't be emulating MajCom, like, at all.
Major tkr4lf

Postby natty dread on Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:09 am

tkr4lf wrote: Alternatively, each of them could have a show/hide button to minimize them when they aren't needed. This should be even easier to accomplish.

Postby Gillipig on Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:10 pm

tkr4lf wrote:Anyway, what I'm saying is that we shouldn't be emulating MajCom, like, at all.

Who are "we"? Conquerclub is run through dictatorship, not democracy!
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Bruceswar on Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:24 pm

OliverFA wrote:

15475 results on 62 pages:

About 1000 up from last time. If the update pace keeps picking up steam then you will have more people coming back or sticking around. Lets see what happens going forward.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:50 am

15,541... up about 75 from last week.
ā€œā€ŽLife is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.ā€
ā€• Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Woodruff on Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:46 am

Dukasaur wrote:15,541... up about 75 from last week.

That's the multis from Nod Loyalist and barackattack. <chuckle>
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby fadedpsychosis on Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:39 pm

it may be people like me... I came back after a 4 year hiatus. I had honestly forgotten about this place, then randomly got an email from the site. Don't remember why I stopped coming in the 1st place, but I think my work blocked the site...
Private fadedpsychosis

Postby rdsrds2120 on Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:29 pm

fadedpsychosis wrote:it may be people like me... I came back after a 4 year hiatus. I had honestly forgotten about this place, then randomly got an email from the site. Don't remember why I stopped coming in the 1st place, but I think my work blocked the site...

Now you're back! Hooraoo!

I think lack's really kicked into gear lately. With more updates, etc., the community faith will surely be restored (or at least I'm hoping!)

-rd
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby fadedpsychosis on Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:56 pm

I do find it amusing the email said "You haven't been on Conquer Club for over 30 days"... when it's been 4 years. I've noticed a LOT more game features since 2008. They'd just implemented fog of war just before I left, so seeing the killer neutrals and nuclear spoils and auto-deploying regions etc is taking some getting used to
Private fadedpsychosis

Postby rdsrds2120 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:11 am

fadedpsychosis wrote:I do find it amusing the email said "You haven't been on Conquer Club for over 30 days"... when it's been 4 years. I've noticed a LOT more game features since 2008. They'd just implemented fog of war just before I left, so seeing the killer neutrals and nuclear spoils and auto-deploying regions etc is taking some getting used to

Yeah, I bet. The e-mail blast was a new thing, so that's the check it performs. If you want help learning new game types, I bet there are people in the Callouts forum that wouldn't mind helping :D

-rd
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby greenoaks on Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:21 am

google.com.au has CC at 18th
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby tzor on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:25 am

And I've just come back as well after a long while not playing. It was mostly due to a number of technical reasons that partly had to do with CC but mostly with another (dog of a company) that has proven over time far worse in every way than here. That gave be the habbit of checking things twice a day which is what you need to do when you have a 24hr clock.
Cadet tzor

Postby TDK on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:56 pm

I got that friendly lil' email too, and I'm frankly shocked at the sheer volume of changes that have been made since my last visit. Trench warfare? Really? That's not even Risk! I love it though, so many new ways to outfox those overconfident captains.
Cadet TDK

Postby 72o on Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:10 pm

TDK wrote:I got that friendly lil' email too, and I'm frankly shocked at the sheer volume of changes that have been made since my last visit. Trench warfare? Really? That's not even Risk! I love it though, so many new ways to outfox those overconfident captains.

Add me to the list of people who came back because of the email, after a more than 2 year hiatus. I'm happy to see Trench Warfare, or "Adjacent Attacks" as we had dubbed it in 2010 in the suggestions phase, or "No Plowing" which was what we called it when we used to play using real dice and an actual game board.

I am seriously lacking on medals now though.
Sergeant 72o

Postby TDK on Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:33 pm

That's just a temporary problem, I'm sure. Hey, maybe we should start a tournament for people who read the email. ;)
Cadet TDK

Postby OliverFA on Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:45 am

I hope the trend continues going up
Welcoming the long awaited Trench Warfare Setting (Previously Adjacent Attacks).

My Maps:
Research and Conquer - Civilization meets Conquer Club

Best score: 2,346 - Best position: #618 - Best percentile: 4.87%
Private OliverFA

Postby TeeGee on Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:35 pm

Dukasaur wrote:15,541... up about 75 from last week.

15,543.. still going up
Major TeeGee
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Location: Traversing the Multiverse, looking for a Yak with 3 ears

PreviousNext

Return to Conquer Club Discussion