Conquer Club

ignorantia of history, geography

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

ignorantia of history, geography

Postby Oneyed on Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:13 am

this question is valid for maps from any real area.

is here on site any group who check if maps from real life (modern, historic) are correct? I mean if mapmakers do not totaly ignore geography, history, culture?

I understand that sometimes is more important gameplay and it is not possible to have 100% geography or history accuracy. but I can not see reason why any mapmaker can track up geography, history and culture of any nation or state.

so I ask, does CC look at this? or nobody will care if I made map about USA and place New York city to Florida?

Oneyed
Last edited by Oneyed on Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Re: history, geography

Postby SirSebstar on Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:35 am

The feedback proces in the foundry used to take these things into consideration. I assume they still do, but i don't frequent there all that often.
Major SirSebstar

Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011

Re: ignorantia of history, geography

Postby Oneyed on Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:24 am

SirSebstar wrote:The feedback proces in the foundry used to take these things into consideration. I assume they still do, but i don't frequent there all that often.

so now they (blue guys and members of The Historical Cartographers Society) show how important is historic/geographic accuracy - they totaly ignore it and track up history, geography and culture.

I am wondering why is allowed to track up history and culture of any nation. maybe because it is small nation... I am wondering if any map about USA where New York city is placed in Florida will be stamped...

you are not blue guy, member of any Cartography Society although you gived me answer. thanks for it.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby SirSebstar on Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:02 am

fixed by sending this question over to the foundry
Major SirSebstar

Postby IcePack on Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:53 am

Oneyed wrote:
SirSebstar wrote:The feedback proces in the foundry used to take these things into consideration. I assume they still do, but i don't frequent there all that often.

so now they (blue guys and members of The Historical Cartographers Society) show how important is historic/geographic accuracy - they totaly ignore it and track up history, geography and culture.

I am wondering why is allowed to track up history and culture of any nation. maybe because it is small nation... I am wondering if any map about USA where New York city is placed in Florida will be stamped...

you are not blue guy, member of any Cartography Society although you gived me answer. thanks for it.

Oneyed

Is there a map / place in progres that you are pointing out in particular that isn't historically accurate, or geographically?

There are quite a few maps that aren't 100%, even north america map splits some canadian provinces in half etc and takes liberties with general areas, in order to facilitate better gameplay. Pretty sure thats fairly normal? I'm pretty sure the original Risk isn't 100% geographically accurate either, it takes some liberties with borders and regions as well.

IcePack

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Oneyed on Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:28 am

IcePack wrote:Is there a map / place in progres that you are pointing out in particular that isn't historically accurate, or geographically?

yes, and mapmaker does not want to understand my advices. I also did changes on map which do not change gameplay and are historic and geographic accurate... therefore I started this topic.
IcePack wrote:There are quite a few maps that aren't 100%, even north america map splits some canadian provinces in half etc and takes liberties with general areas, in order to facilitate better gameplay. Pretty sure thats fairly normal?

sometimes (due to map size) is not possible to add all regions, so split them is fine. sometimes is fine when borders are changed for gameplay. but for example it is out of history/geography if anybody add New Brunswick near Michigan for example...
IcePack wrote:I'm pretty sure the original Risk isn't 100% geographically accurate either, it takes some liberties with borders and regions as well.

as I said, sometimes is fine to change borders or split regions.

but CC is different theme as Risk and if it ispossible why not to be historic, geographic and cultural accurate?

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby charmir on Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:51 am

Is there any map on this site that is accurate?
Sergeant charmir

Postby DiM on Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:02 am

charmir wrote:Is there any map on this site that is accurate?

yes, plenty
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby charmir on Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:08 am

DiM wrote:

yes, plenty

Which ones?
Sergeant charmir

Postby cairnswk on Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:03 pm

charmir wrote:
DiM wrote:

yes, plenty

Which ones?

You'll find that all of mine are researched as much as possible and presented as accurately as possible with the realms of gameplay possibilities and graphic representation. This is done via my own research which sometimes extends to one to two months plus efforts of naming accuracies by ian canton, Oneyed, and many others who offer such suggestions.

You'll also find that even some version of the original game left New Zealand (and Antartica) off their board, so these are hardly accurate. Go figure!

I beleive that other mapmakers do their best to ensure that accuracy is complete, but there are always going to be discrepancies that can be found.

As for placing New York in Florida, knock your socks off if you can justify it by something called creativity. :)
Last edited by cairnswk on Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby charmir on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:18 pm

Thanks cairnswk. Never knew that you map makers took so much time into doing all of the wonderful maps. After reading the opening post, I was expecting a map with New York in Florida.
Sergeant charmir

Postby Gillipig on Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:18 pm

charmir wrote:Thanks cairnswk. Never knew that you map makers took so much time into doing all of the wonderful maps. After reading the opening post, I was expecting a map with New York in Florida.

I don't see what the advantage of a map like that would be. The downside would be grave geographical inaccuracy and the positive....?
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby SirSebstar on Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:36 pm

alternative history.. i like it
Major SirSebstar

Postby x-raider on Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:13 pm

Gillipig wrote:
charmir wrote:Thanks cairnswk. Never knew that you map makers took so much time into doing all of the wonderful maps. After reading the opening post, I was expecting a map with New York in Florida.

I don't see what the advantage of a map like that would be. The downside would be grave geographical inaccuracy and the positive....?
SirSebstar wrote:alternative history.. i like it

There'e a whole genre of literature with various alternate histories, and there's steam punk.Think of Steamworks. As for making an inaccurate world: doodle earth! As long as it is acknowledged that it is not supposed to be accurate, than I think it's great (I also like Duck and Cover). Just to make things clear, nobody was actually suggesting to make a map with new york in florida...
Corporal 1st Class x-raider

Location: Lost in the Complexities of the Undiscovered Universe

Postby Gillipig on Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:02 am

x-raider wrote:
Gillipig wrote:

SirSebstar wrote:alternative history.. i like it

There'e a whole genre of literature with various alternate histories, and there's steam punk.Think of Steamworks. As for making an inaccurate world: doodle earth! As long as it is acknowledged that it is not supposed to be accurate, than I think it's great (I also like Duck and Cover). Just to make things clear, nobody was actually suggesting to make a map with new york in florida...

Until you or someone else makes a draft were there's a point in juggling cities around just for the sake of it, I'll hold my original opinion lol.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Return to Foundry Discussions